Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Onion rings of french fries?
Onion Rings
French Fries
Goku eats both
View Results

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

These look pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwsQNa38xq0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Arby's curly fries are good and if you disagree you went to the bad Arby's and I'm sorry.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Das Boo posted:

Arby's curly fries are good and if you disagree you went to the bad Arby's and I'm sorry.

Truth. Its the only reason I go there anymore.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Curly fries and a Beef n Ched are somehow both trash and A-tier fast food at the same time.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I have yet to find an onion ring that wasn't just a gross soggy piece of onion wrapped in too much frying batter.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mooey Cow posted:

I have yet to find an onion ring that wasn't just a gross soggy piece of onion wrapped in too much frying batter.

saddest post of the month so far

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

The Walrus posted:

french fries by a mile. onion rings have to be really good, even mediocre fries are v nice

I came in here wondering how anyone could possibly like fries over onion rings, but this thread has brought up some really good points.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mooey Cow posted:

The best part of your christmas presents might be the ribbon they come wrapped in

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
Generally I go for fries, because more often than not when I order onion rings they’re a soggy mess. One place in Florida had great onion rings, but I don’t live there anymore

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Apparently McDonalds used to sell an onion nugget in the 70s. Ended up becoming the chicken version. drat I'm curious how they were.

Also, garlic salt is king

aceface
Dec 27, 2017

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

The Bloop posted:

Fries are a better side, much more versatile

Onion rings are much better as a snack by themselves or an appetizer

This ^

If I was stranded on a desert island with a magical 0 maintenance deep fryer and had to choose between an unlimited supply of potatoes or an unlimited supply of onions, it would be a very easy decision to make:

FRIES :hai:

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

aceface posted:

This ^

If I was stranded on a desert island with a magical 0 maintenance deep fryer and had to choose between an unlimited supply of potatoes or an unlimited supply of onions, it would be a very easy decision to make:

FRIES :hai:

Honestly same.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Smugworth posted:

Onions rings go in catstard

Is that a special catsup for ret...

Ah, forget it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

The Walrus posted:

french fries by a mile. onion rings have to be really good, even mediocre fries are v nice

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's amazing how many clueless fucks in this thread didn't just say rings, period you dumb bastards

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Big Beef City posted:

It's amazing how many clueless fucks in this thread didn't just say rings, period you dumb bastards

classic bbc bad opinion tirade
He's still got it folks :discourse:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
We should have a game where we try to toss onion rings onto BBC’s li’l avatar PP

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

We should have a game where we try to toss onion rings onto BBC’s li’l avatar PP

We should have a game where you eat them off of it

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Bad fries > bad onion rings
Good fries < good onion rings

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Fries are overall better but you can gently caress onion rings so :shrug:

counterpoint - curly fries

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Does anyone else pull the onion out of the ring or is that just me?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

pro starcraft loser posted:

You mean bite into them? Because that's what they do, they fall apart.

Just like the argument that an onion ring is better than a fry.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
only bad onion rings fall apart

Onion too thick
Onion not cooked enough
Eater has no teeth

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

pro starcraft loser posted:

I once tried to do this, but I did not find the onion :dogstare:

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
This is kind of hard because I love onion rings so much. So much good oniony flavor. But then I remember burger kings “onion rings” and I get a little depressed.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I have all the teeth and they still fall apart

When's the last time a fry fell apart

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

And while still not superior to the french fry for various reasons, why has nobody mentioned the superior onion snack that isn't trying to hold the precarious ring form that leads to its downfall:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Y’all ever been to a BurgerFi? Look at these loving things.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Smugworth posted:

And while still not superior to the french fry for various reasons, why has nobody mentioned the superior onion snack that isn't trying to hold the precarious ring form that leads to its downfall:

yup way better. and Arby's proved that the shape works in individual "petal" form and yet we can't get it as side anymore ANYWHERE!!!!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aardvark! posted:

yup way better. and Arby's proved that the shape works in individual "petal" form and yet we can't get it as side anymore ANYWHERE!!!!

chilis does it

they're too thick though, imo

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Mr Hero’s also has onion petals.

There’s a place here called Prosperity Social Club that has the giant battered onion rings and they’re really good but it’s hard to get right. The breaded type is more common I guess. I think it has to do with moisture in the ring, the less the crispier it can make things. Sometimes for batter it can also help to add a shot of vodka in the mix.

My preference is French Fries as a side, onion rings as an app but that’s it’s own subject depending on the style of fry. Fries are also more versatile since you can load them up.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Onion rings, a delicious treat.

Fries, what do I have to slop on these to make them taste like something?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Someone should just batter a whole onion without cutting it into pieces, put it on a stick and sell it alongside candied apples

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Oh no I bit into my fried onion and the whole onion popped out of the fried shell

Just like every onion ring I've ever eaten

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Smugworth posted:

Oh no I bit into my fried onion and the whole onion popped out of the fried shell

Just like every onion ring I've ever eaten

________________________/

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUZshMdD2F0

Close thread
:smuggo:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Gatts posted:

I think it has to do with moisture in the ring, the less the crispier it can make things.

It’s more likely that the reason you get bad onion rings is because of bad management. Basically, you get “oily/soggy” fries/rings when the oil isn’t hot enough to immediately turn any moisture in the onion/potato into steam (which acts as a barrier that keeps the onion/potato from absorbing the oil).

The oil temp falls when you add cold product to the oil, and it will fall too quickly when you add too much product at one time (or too quickly between batches).

As such, awell run restaurant will put limits on how many rings/fries/wings/whatever can go into the oil at a time and have mandated minimum times between batches to allow the oil to maintain the proper oil heat levels so as to prevent you from getting oil-sogged food. The cheapo places, however, want to maximize their short-term returns, and therefore don’t give a gently caress if your food is soggy; they want to get it out on a plate to you RIGHT NOW so you can pay and get the gently caress out.

In short, late stage capitalism is at fault for your soggy rings.

I’ll have a large order of onion rings, plz.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Ordering onion rings is too much of an unknown unless you know the place.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Ordering onion rings is too much of an unknown unless you know the place.

This is definitely true

Living dangerously

Even mediocre fries are good unless you're in England or some other hell hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Maybe you all should stop going to restaurants where the food is poo poo, instead of blaming the 'rings