Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Looks like they may be coming out of the portal and in the process of being placed on the map it looks like they're zooming around. I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

https://youtu.be/ZVVzLWrLQho

I知 so proud of the galleon sink in this one :-)

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
"Ghoul" & Glory weekend starting tomorrow through the 1st. Boosted rep/gold/renown.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Thanks for the heads-up. :)

We're going to be doing some Fleets and other fun stuff this weekend on the Goon Mutineers Discord.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Official discord is always a trainwreck.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
The room names are more of a guideline.

Edit: They池e complaining that the group in the Galleon 1 discord voice channel is playing on a brig instead.

moosecow333 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 2, 2021

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

I can't even parse what this is meant to be saying

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

fallingdownjoe posted:

I can't even parse what this is meant to be saying

There are voice channels in the official discord for various groups to form, ranging ins size from galleon to sloop, and the voice channel are size limited by ship type (Eg. a brig channel can only hold three people). Some one is BIG MAD that three people are in a galleon voice channel but only playing on a brig so they are only using 3/4 of the slots.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
On a discord server that auto creates voice channels for whoever needs them.

Goodfeila
Apr 25, 2010

That sure is a username

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PastHonoredAnemonecrab-mobile.mp4

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Couple events and freebies right now.

Feast of Bounty is the Thanksgiving event. The tasks are separated in two parts over the next week.

The Halo Spartan Cosmetic Set is given to everyone who logs in from now until the 1st.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/SeaOfThieves/status/1463175842415136782

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

:gizz:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I could see one loving people up but imagine a swarm of them. 4 dudes coordinating them to swarm a galleon gonna gently caress people uppppp.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

This seems extremely unbalanced, so the drop rate on cannon rowboats is probably very low.

Oh who am I kidding, it's probably 50% in the first 3 weeks, then hotfixed to be very low. :v:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Let me spawn solo in one of those instead of a sloop if I want to.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Skyarb posted:

You have no idea how far I've chased players in a row boat. No idea. Think hours.

I can't remember what crew I'd been running with at the time, but at one point I was on a brig with a few folks, and we were dropping off some trade goods at some random island. Unfortunately, this island was right near a Reaper chest. So, we pre-loaded everything onto a row boat and expected to just dump and run, with me on the row. As expected, there was a (brig?) camping the chest in question, and they were looking for a fight, and immediately started chasing after our ship. I watch them leave -- Reaper chest not included. So, once I deliver everything, I row over, grab the reaper chest, and row all the way from wherever I was to the Reaper's island (maybe 4-5 squares worth of travel?).

As I near, everyone tells me the ship is breaking off to go chase the chest-holder, and as I deliver it, I come outside to watch the folks just ride by the island.

I watch each player disappear until their ship sinks because they all ragequit.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Fireworks, flares and the ability to bury you own treasure for others to find.

Also sitting sleeping and cannon boat
Hell there a lot in this update!

https://youtu.be/mwxAblfDrMQ

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 29, 2021

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
This treasure burying thing seems pretty interesting for solo carebear players like me. I'm considering checking this game again.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Pigbottom posted:

This treasure burying thing seems pretty interesting for solo carebear players like me. I'm considering checking this game again.

It will be nice to bury loot you dont want to sell immediately, like athena kegs n whatnot, keep em from despawning when you leave them while doing other parts of athena runs. But i bet there will be ways for other players to steal those maps from you.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
It's a bit underwhelming but overall some good changes

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Any good advice for someone just starting out?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Play with friends. Don't have any? Make some goon friends.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

drrockso20 posted:

Any good advice for someone just starting out?
- Don't play solo. Some people play solo, and it's fine, but the game is much better with at least one friend. The goons have a Discord you can join to find some Better Than Friends people. (Also, don't be That Newbie and always take the largest ship regardless of crew size. You actually want to be in the smallest ship allowed for a given crew.)

- That loot isn't yours until you've sold it. Don't get attached to anything you have. It will get taken sometimes. That's okay. Fight hard for it, and laugh when you lose. It'll feel that much better when you win.

- Supplies are life. Fill your pockets at every opportunity, then dump everything into your ship stores and repeat. You don't actually have to stop your ship to do this -- empty your pockets, fire yourself out of a cannon as you pass an island, fill up from the barrels there, and then take a free mermaid ride back to the ship.

- Practice your cannon skills often. I recommend sailing past a seapost at different speeds and distances, and trying to hit it reliably with your cannons. You can also practice on skeleton sloops; they're relatively harmless. Lead your target well, and generally fire higher than you think you need to.

- This is the big one for me: Don't do anything that isn't the most fun you can be having at any given moment. Reputation, renown, and gold are literally infinite. So don't slog through some crappy voyage or grind out a painful achievement that isn't fun for you. Nothing's required.

Enjoy!

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Pigbottom posted:

If this is anything like the gifts from a few christmases back, you have to stay on the server until another crew digs up & sells your treasure in order to get credit for it. Which kinda sucks.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Sywert of Thieves posted:

If this is anything like the gifts from a few christmases back, you have to stay on the server until another crew digs up & sells your treasure in order to get credit for it. Which kinda sucks.

I think the season 5 promo vid they put out says that you can leave the game and you値l get credit next time you log in.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

WhiteHowler posted:

- Don't play solo. Some people play solo, and it's fine, but the game is much better with at least one friend. The goons have a Discord you can join to find some Better Than Friends people. (Also, don't be That Newbie and always take the largest ship regardless of crew size. You actually want to be in the smallest ship allowed for a given crew.)

- That loot isn't yours until you've sold it. Don't get attached to anything you have. It will get taken sometimes. That's okay. Fight hard for it, and laugh when you lose. It'll feel that much better when you win.

- Supplies are life. Fill your pockets at every opportunity, then dump everything into your ship stores and repeat. You don't actually have to stop your ship to do this -- empty your pockets, fire yourself out of a cannon as you pass an island, fill up from the barrels there, and then take a free mermaid ride back to the ship.

- Practice your cannon skills often. I recommend sailing past a seapost at different speeds and distances, and trying to hit it reliably with your cannons. You can also practice on skeleton sloops; they're relatively harmless. Lead your target well, and generally fire higher than you think you need to.

- This is the big one for me: Don't do anything that isn't the most fun you can be having at any given moment. Reputation, renown, and gold are literally infinite. So don't slog through some crappy voyage or grind out a painful achievement that isn't fun for you. Nothing's required.

Enjoy!

This is all very good advice however I'm going to throw just a couple other things:

This game can have, like most games, toxic players, but compared to most games I've actually had some amazing interactions with other players. I personally really enjoy playing solo (and also enjoy playing with friends, join the goon discord!) And a large part of the reason is because the contrast between some nice relaxing alone time and fun interactions with random people you come across can be nice. Don't get me wrong there are still toxic gankers and too many literal children but overall you come across some really neat organic interactions.

Also while this poster is right about jumping at random locations for loot, the storage crate changes coming to the latest update may make all this much much easier. You can buy a storage crate from the merchant alliance person on the docks.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Yes, the ability to just hold a storage crate up to a barrel and press *a single button* to loot everything from it, is amazing and should've absolutely been in the game since day 1 (that storage crates were added). The original barrels also had a button to 'take' or 'take all', which was removed when a barrel could hold multiple different items.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I think the season 5 promo vid they put out says that you can leave the game and you値l get credit next time you log in.

Ah, nice.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Yes, the ability to just hold a storage crate up to a barrel and press *a single button* to loot everything from it, is amazing and should've absolutely been in the game since day 1 (that storage crates were added). The original barrels also had a button to 'take' or 'take all', which was removed when a barrel could hold multiple different items.

Ah, nice.

It's going to make stealing supplies from crews that aren't paying attention so much easier.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hope it works on rowboats and on other storage crates

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Sekhmnet posted:

It's going to make stealing supplies from crews that aren't paying attention so much easier.

An insider posted that it takes a bit of time to siphon things from barrels (it takes an item like every 0.1 seconds of holding the button down) and is actually slower when using it on enemy barrels to balance.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Oh so it's not a flat ~2 seconds to 'take everything' from a barrel, but increases with the number of items in it? That would make it hell to transfer contents from really full barrels. But at least it's still faster than doing it manually.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'll settle for less button mashing.

Hopefully you can combine supply chests the same way so you don't need a barrel intermediary.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

An in depth video for the changes coming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbn5FRrdVdM

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
When you bury a keg, it automatically lights when dug up. I know what I値l be hiding among my loot!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

fallingdownjoe posted:

When you bury a keg, it automatically lights when dug up. I know what I’ll be hiding among my loot!

This is now the best update

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So maybe I just have bad luck or something but I have no idea what the gently caress I'm supposed to be doing in this game at all, so far it's been a whole lot of nothing sailing through admittedly pretty seas and occasionally getting my rear end handed to me by a ghost ship and once by a volcano, haven't really encountered much of anything actually fun

Also is it just me or are the matchmaking mechanics for this game just plain hot garbage?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Join a crew, from the goon discord for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

fallingdownjoe posted:

When you bury a keg, it automatically lights when dug up. I know what I値l be hiding among my loot!

This is amazing. I take back everything I've said about burying loot being dumb.