Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Chinatown posted:

gently caress tom br*dy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf8HM1qiOC0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
It's a sociably acceptable and encouraged interest OP. There's no particularly reason people who get invested into sports teams wouldn't end up filling that void with something else but why would they? It's a safe conversation piece with almost anyone, can even give you a leg up in your work's good ol boy's club, and it's widely free from appreciable criticism. You look at other consumption hobbies, general media, games, that kind of thing, and when there's a scandal there's calls to shut the whole thing down, people don't want to associate with it anymore. But with sports you can have as many big name players beat their SO's as you want, hell you can even have known pedo rings and it trundles on impervious to scandals. You're not gonna see people rolling into QCS demanding that football chat be removed from the sports subforum because of a big newsworthy hubabaloo.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Gasp! You found me out! I liked yugioh in middle school! Next you’ll dig up my dark past of playing with toys when I was five.
I’ve never seen a demographic get so terrified of not being seen as mature manly macho men who have never enjoyed anything else and never cry. Just this complete lack of self esteem.

You bought me an avatar with text referencing a women's NBA team because you assumed it'd threaten my masculinity or something?

You've got severely repressed issues

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Lmao

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Classic tale of an everyman getting run out of his anime thread for being too horny, attempting to find camraderie in GBS by claiming sports are dumb, getting thoroughly sonned, accusing those around him of being performatively masculine, complaining about yu-gi-oh, buying BBC a small penis avatar and accusing them of liking women's sports. You love to see it.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I think its p cool society rewards people who play sports professionally more than doctors or scientists etc

You got a sport point? Wow good job heres 10 million dollars

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

dr.acula posted:

I think its p cool society rewards people who play sports professionally more than doctors or scientists etc

You got a sport point? Wow good job heres 10 million dollars

I'll tell you what.
When 85,000 people show up every week, and buy $50 million dollars in merchandise to watch Dr. Dipshit take little Bobby's temperature, sure.

Guess what they're not doing though?

The athletes make that money because they are worth it to their franchisees. Not because of their 'worth to society'.

There are doctors who arguably do good for people who also then become celebrities.
Guess what happens to their income as demand for their service and marketability rise?

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 30, 2021

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The merchandise is what weirds me out enough to not participate. poo poo's everywhere and people wear it with the little logos like clan tartan and I'm just "??? Where is your village?"

The Industrial Revolution and it's consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Car Hater posted:

The merchandise is what weirds me out enough to not participate. poo poo's everywhere and people wear it with the little logos like clan tartan and I'm just "??? Where is your village?"

The Industrial Revolution and it's consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

Do you have a favorite brand of anything at all?
Guess what it has on it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Imagine having a favorite brand lmao

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

People like being part of a group something you've never felt op

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Edit: nevermind its early and my eyes saw band not brand

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Big Beef City posted:

Guess what it has on it.

Aldi is nice and all but I'm not going to tell someone with a Kroger jersey on that he's gonna sniff my butt on Sunday

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Ugh imagine liking brands

*sips mtn dew, settles back into overwatch gaming chair and shits taco bell all up my back*

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Car Hater posted:

Aldi is nice and all but I'm not going to tell someone with a Kroger jersey on that he's gonna sniff my butt on Sunday

And sports fans don't scream at each other in the streets, either.

But I bet if you're playing video games you've said a few choices things to the other side while the games going on

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Ugh imagine liking brands

*sips mtn dew, settles back into overwatch gaming chair and shits taco bell all up my back*

Powerful projection posted from Apple iPhone

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
All I want to k ow about sports fans is why anytime I see someone showing their whole rear end about some politically or especially racially charged story, the person showing themselves to be a stupid dipshit always has a timeline absolutely full of retweets of sports stuff, often college football, with absolutely zero interactions on their own posts

Like there is this whole mass of stupid racists who live for college football or baseball or something along those lines, and every now and then will wake from their slumber and will post about how they don’t think Kamala Harris should be Vice President because ladies have emotions and Native American ladies are alcoholics or some poo poo

Who are these people and why is a specific sport the only thing in their life that they care about other than casual racism

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

Guess what it has on it.

lmao you love Brands

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I'm wearing a Mets shirt right now. I would only wear it at games if it didn't make my boobs look so nice.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
the guy threw the ball wrong!!!!!!!

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

That guy represents my entire geographic region and he's loving IT ALL UP. Now those people from another geographical region (that I've never been to, mind you) are winning and having the good times.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

unzin posted:

That guy represents my entire geographic region and he's loving IT ALL UP. Now those people from another geographical region (that I've never been to, mind you) are winning and having the good times.

in the uk you have to support whatever football team is nearest to your home even if they're shite, otherwise you're a glory hunter

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Honest why would you ever root for anyone but the best team? They're going to win the most therefore you will maximize your enjoyment watching them.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
They like sports, op

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Look, I'm sorry, I admit fully I should be better at just letting people enjoy things.

But this is where I live.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Car Hater posted:

Look, I'm sorry, I admit fully I should be better at just letting people enjoy things.

But this is where I live.

:lmao: that owns. God the Lions suck

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
how can you not like sports? just look at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3QQwohEY48

pretty cool, sports

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

galagazombie posted:

Gasp! You found me out! I liked yugioh in middle school! Next you’ll dig up my dark past of playing with toys when I was five.
I’ve never seen a demographic get so terrified of not being seen as mature manly macho men who have never enjoyed anything else and never cry. Just this complete lack of self esteem.

Lol that posting this meltdown and buying BBC that avatar got BBC a 6er for no reason

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

MrQwerty posted:

Lol that posting this meltdown and buying BBC that avatar got BBC a 6er for no reason

How the hell is Galabazongas not probed?

JUSTICE FOR BBC!!!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

galagazombie posted:

Lmao

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i smooched yugioh on the lips all damned day

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

JUSTICE FOR BBC!!!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Big Beef City, I was not aware and I apologize. Please accept this reciprocal probe as justice, as I do not know how to remove sixers.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

von Braun posted:

the guy threw the ball wrong!!!!!!!
HAHA, losers.

OUR GUY throws balls the right way. Also punches his wife in the face and cheats on her BUT BALLS GOOD!

"I;d Like to thank God, Jesus, Christ, and all of Heaven for blessing us with this WIN"

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 30, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's ok to like sports AND painting warhammer figures and watching cartoons

crazy fact, but it turns out it's true

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

unzin posted:

What's stranger still is that he very tenuously represents your geographic region, because there's a decent chance he's not actually from your geographic region, he simply plays for that team. So it's not even like, "Hell yeah, this proves that people from Chicago are good at football".

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The presented narrative around sports is just unbelievably boring imo. "Will he make the point???" I don't care.

Someone mentioned the Olympics puff pieces and it's all the same absolute mindnumbing poo poo. "I had an injury and my grandma died, and I was worried I wouldn't make it to the Olympics! But I worked real hard and here I am! Thanks to America/God/grandma, I'll do it for you!!!!"

Then I started watching 30 for 30, and it turns out there are actual fascinating sports stories. Why aren't those getting told anywhere else?

(I also hate nerd poo poo so yes I'm very fun at smalltalk)

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

The Bloop posted:

It's ok to like sports AND painting warhammer figures and watching cartoons

crazy fact, but it turns out it's true

imagining two guys. sports guy, and warhammer guy. warhammer guy is painting his mans while sports guy is watching sports... the twist? They're BEST buddies.

Sports guy likes the warhammer because it reminds him of football, he loves to see all the lil men line up, he sees his buddy as a coach. He doesn't play, but he knows if a team with red jerseys is on, he can say 'the red makes them go faster', which gets his buddy just GLOWING with joy and laughter.

The Warhammer guy sees his buddy as a noble space marine carrying the legacy and culture of men into future centuries of men, each sports team logo a banner for men to rally under. He's happy his sports guy friend doesn't bite his style, avoiding a horus heresy situation.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
And then they take a camping trip in the mountains and confess their undying love for one another :allears:

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Mooey Cow posted:

It's basically like politics but for smart well-adjusted people.

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

how does someone become a mod without knowing that avs can be bought for others?