Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Jfc she kept the kids for EIGHT GODDAMN YEARS before she decided she had buyers remorse.
Also she had a second kid that she decided to keep that absolutely will have a pathological fear of also being abandoned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

christmas boots posted:

Well?? Which bird is the biggest cloaca?
Turns out the answer is squirrels but actual birds like goldfinches and their cousins the pine siskins aren't far behind.

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009

I did not get the impression simply discarded her adopted son on a whim like that lady that euthanized her dog. But I guess it’s possible I’ve been duped.

If you listen to the interview it sounds like a more complicated situation than you’d assume. We’d need move details (she doesn’t go into to protect the child’s anonymity) to know for sure if the adoptive parents are bad. Also the child’s perspective, who according to the interview wanted to be separated from the family but still has contact with his adoptive parents and brother.

Overall the interview focuses on adoptive parents in general needing more support to prevent these types of situations. Which seems like a good message.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1465715059485773829?t=18IELyqq8HNBwTm0CqKSoA&s=19

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

what the actual gently caress

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

a vox writer saying dumb poo poo after admitting he hasn't read the book....... i'm shocked, stunned

https://twitter.com/zackbeauchamp/status/1465697335636217871

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I bet he didn't even read the review. Here's what he thinks the book says:

https://twitter.com/zackbeauchamp/status/1465697893503823886

Here is the actual description of the book from the publisher:

quote:

In Looking for the Good War, Elizabeth D. Samet reexamines the literature, art, and culture that emerged after World War II, bringing her expertise as a professor of English at West Point to bear on the complexity of the postwar period in national life. She exposes the confusion about American identity that was expressed during and immediately after the war, and the deep national ambivalence toward war, violence, and veterans—all of which were suppressed in subsequent decades by a dangerously sentimental attitude toward the United States’ “exceptional” history and destiny.

Samet finds the war's ambivalent legacy in some of its most heavily mythologized figures: the war correspondent epitomized by Ernie Pyle, the character of the erstwhile G.I. turned either cop or criminal in the pulp fiction and feature films of the late 1940s, the disaffected Civil War veteran who looms so large on the screen in the Cold War Western, and the resurgent military hero of the post-Vietnam period. Taken together, these figures reveal key elements of postwar attitudes toward violence, liberty, and nation—attitudes that have shaped domestic and foreign policy and that respond in various ways to various assumptions about national identity and purpose established or affirmed by World War II.

As the United States reassesses its roles in Afghanistan and the Middle East, the time has come to rethink our national mythology: the way that World War II shaped our sense of national destiny, our beliefs about the use of American military force throughout the world, and our inability to accept the realities of the twenty-first century’s decades of devastating conflict.

e: also to say nothing of how this guy thinks the US singlehandedly stopped the Nazis instead of just mildly accelerating the Soviet liberation of Nazi Europe

vyelkin has issued a correction as of 18:00 on Nov 30, 2021

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
if i knew i could get paid to not read something and poo poo out a half assed reply i would have moved on from sa years ago

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

i'm honestly intrigued at how awful a parent you would have to be to bring these events to pass

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

vyelkin posted:

4th paragraph of the review lol

quote:

Her book is therefore a work of unsparing demystification — and there is something hopeful and even inspiring in this. Like the cadets she teaches at West Point, civilians would do well to see World War II as something other than a buoyant tale of American goodness trouncing Nazi evil. Yes, she says up front, American involvement in the war was necessary. But she maintains that it’s been a national fantasy to presume that “necessary” has to mean the same thing as “good.”

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

vyelkin posted:

https://twitter.com/zackbeauchamp/status/1465697893503823886

e: also to say nothing of how this guy thinks the US singlehandedly stopped the Nazis instead of just mildly accelerating the Soviet liberation of Nazi Europe

For those of you keeping track at home, this guy is the maestro behind "Western Europe has no history of fascism."

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

zack beauchamp is the author behind one of my favorite media errors/corrections

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Stringent posted:

i'm honestly intrigued at how awful a parent you would have to be to bring these events to pass

Yeah if a teenager has lived his entire life with you since he was a infant, he isn’t a victim of the system…you literally just want to dump your child into it.

Also, literally all the major death camps were in occupied Poland and were liberated by the Red Army or allied forces. It is true concentration and labor camps fell in Western sectors but they were usually smaller camps with some exceptions and not the chief focus of the system of extermination which was to the east.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 18:16 on Nov 30, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I mean WW2 is the easiest thing to justify by mere virtue of the US being on the receiving-end of a war declaration

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

a vox writer saying dumb poo poo after admitting he hasn't read the book....... i'm shocked, stunned

https://twitter.com/zackbeauchamp/status/1465697335636217871

he's worried that if the arguments in the book are strong enough he'll never be born

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Stringent posted:

You don't HAVE to be spectacularly awful at all, it's just that adopting gives you the option of returning your child, which is something that's very appealing to narcissists who aren't capable of feeling affection for another human being. It's pretty loving telling that after they do this they apparently don't feel ashamed to tell the story of how hard it was for them to abandon their child. Like, if I adopted a child and it somehow became untenable, I definitely wouldn't go to the media (or even an anonymous message board) and say "You know who's the real victim here? Me!" Like the dog murderer, it's a horrible thing to do, but the fact that they apparently feel the need to tell people about this horrible thing they did and turn it into an opportunity to claim victimhood is what makes it clear that they're a narcissist.

Stringent posted:

as a parent i am in fact pretty sure you do have to be spectacularly awful at it

To be fair, looking at the lives of some of my friends has led me to consider parents who treat their children like glorified accessories as basically normal (horrible, but normal), so I see your point.

Random Asshole has issued a correction as of 18:26 on Nov 30, 2021

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
as a parent i am in fact pretty sure you do have to be spectacularly awful at it

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Robo Reagan posted:

if i knew i could get paid to not read something and poo poo out a half assed reply i would have moved on from sa years ago

The real grift is getting paid to tell people what not to read, and then copy and pasting your syllabus onto SA.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
"Honey, your dad and I have something to tell you. You're adopted, and we're returning you to the adoption agency. They're picking you up in an hour, so please collect your things and clean up your room."
*Sends the kid a bill for their stay*

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Hand Knit posted:

For those of you keeping track at home, this guy is the maestro behind "Western Europe has no history of fascism."

lmfao

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Palladium posted:

i never seen white people victim claiming before

it's the endgame of white women claiming minority status

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/grynbaum/status/1465823753179435012

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

"than we knew" is a load-bearing phrase if Chris has any emails between him and his bosses in his pocket

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/joshrogin/status/1465675008454369286

another case of too tragically long to be a thread title

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Yeah if a teenager has lived his entire life with you since he was a infant, he isn’t a victim of the system…you literally just want to dump your child into it.

Yeah the only difference between adopting a six month old infant and dumping him on an orphanage at 14 and giving birth to your own kid and dumping him into an orphanage at 14 is that the system mostly doesn't let you do the second thing.

Also this is the exact cohort of middle class strivers that votes against funding social systems like support for families with troubled kids

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1465844125752864770

even for matty this is incredibly loving stupid

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Yeah, nothing help your family when they are caught doing something unethical than doing more unethical poo poo.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/joshrogin/status/1465675008454369286

another case of too tragically long to be a thread title

CHINA AND RUSSIA ATTACK US rear end...

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like we need not just Space Force, but Space Marines, a Space Navy, the Space Vacuum Force and an Atmosphere Coast Guard.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fame Douglas posted:

Sounds like we need not just Space Force, but Space Marines, a Space Navy, the Space Vacuum Force and an Atmosphere Coast Guard.

lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They really need to do away with the ability to delete a tweet that's been up for more than thirty seconds.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

They really need to do away with the ability to delete a tweet that's been up for more than thirty seconds.

There need to be a site that archives every blue marked members' tweets but when you type someone twitter account name, it only shows the deleted tweets of this person. I mean it would have the full neera tanden posting history but hey that's what it's for. And it's called snitcher.com

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 15:51 on Dec 1, 2021

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

What unethical poo poo does MattY think he's capable of. He's a useless dipshit with a newsletter, he doesn't have institutional authority or even friends.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

pospysyl posted:

What unethical poo poo does MattY think he's capable of. He's a useless dipshit with a newsletter, he doesn't have institutional authority or even friends.

Matt would simply eat the enemies of his siblings.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

There need to be a site that archives every blue marked members' tweets but when you type someone twitter account name, it only shows the deleted tweets of this person. I mean it would have the full neera tanden posting history but hey that's what it's for. And it's called snitcher.com

In the UK we have Politwoops which does this for politicians. I'm not sure what juicy stuff it's picked up though.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

pospysyl posted:

Sir, I will kindly remind you he has a podcast (please like and subscribe!)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

pospysyl posted:

Posts so bad they become morally offensive.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

Posts so bad they become morally offensive.

*tugging nervously at collar, sweating* haha, yeah, gotta be a real piece of poo poo to post that bad, huh?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

pospysyl posted:

he could sit on his brother’s accusers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Fame Douglas posted:

stomping on muslims in my space force ones