Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
This was back in 2016, but still applies.

I can't believe they still market and sell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

biracial bear for uncut posted:

This was back in 2016, but still applies.

I can't believe they still market and sell it.

For production parts we use Draftsight almost exclusively. But we strictly do grinding and plating with a touch of lathe work. On top of that we normally re-draw the customers prints to our own internal drawing so that they sign off on only the needed stuff. So for us a 3d model would be overkill. Now for any tooling, maintenance, machine layout, I use 360.

2d cad has a place, but it's becoming the niche, and not the norm.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Yooper posted:

For production parts we use Draftsight almost exclusively. But we strictly do grinding and plating with a touch of lathe work. On top of that we normally re-draw the customers prints to our own internal drawing so that they sign off on only the needed stuff. So for us a 3d model would be overkill. Now for any tooling, maintenance, machine layout, I use 360.

2d cad has a place, but it's becoming the niche, and not the norm.

Same here. Except we're gradually shifting into more and more use of Solidworks for all but the simplest products (most of that is driven by the CAM side of things forcing us to use the built-in CAM in Solidworks because the purse string holders don't want to buy better CAM software).

Our previous CAM software package license expired in 2010 and can only run in a Virtual machine with Windows XP on it, with all the associated graphics issues that comes with (don't get me started on how we used to have virtual machines with Windows 7 on them so we could run out-dated Solidworks installations, because holy poo poo that was a nightmare of graphics issues).

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 30, 2021

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
SW bought and rolled HSM Works into SW yeah? I've been out of the programming game for a while but HSM works was pretty ok, but I do prefer mastercam in a separate application over CAM inside of CAD, but I've never tried 360 CAM. I was starting to figure out 360 when they changed the hobby licensing stuff and after that I bailed and went back to using an old SW license I have. 2016 is kinda rough when I'm used to 2018 or 2020 through work but it does the job.

Is the new SW for makers worth checking out? It's be nice to have a personal copy that's up to date and the cost isn't huge to me (100/year?) if it's a decent user experience.

E: even if everything is shifting to 3d for everything, learning the basics of 2d drafting via rhino at my current job has made me so much faster and more efficient at using 3d programs I think it's a bit of a shame everyone goes straight to 3d now.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

SW bought and rolled HSM Works into SW yeah? I've been out of the programming game for a while but HSM works was pretty ok, but I do prefer mastercam in a separate application over CAM inside of CAD, but I've never tried 360 CAM. I was starting to figure out 360 when they changed the hobby licensing stuff and after that I bailed and went back to using an old SW license I have. 2016 is kinda rough when I'm used to 2018 or 2020 through work but it does the job.

Is the new SW for makers worth checking out? It's be nice to have a personal copy that's up to date and the cost isn't huge to me (100/year?) if it's a decent user experience.

E: even if everything is shifting to 3d for everything, learning the basics of 2d drafting via rhino at my current job has made me so much faster and more efficient at using 3d programs I think it's a bit of a shame everyone goes straight to 3d now.

No. Autodesk bought HSMWorks: https://www.autodesk.com/products/hsmworks/overview

Solidworks is cursed with CAMWorks by default.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

What are the best ways to improve the speed(s) at which Solidworks PDM talks to Solidworks over a VPN?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

mkvltra posted:

What are the best ways to improve the speed(s) at which Solidworks PDM talks to Solidworks over a VPN?

Use Remote Desktop Tools and have good internet wherever you're accessing the workstation that is running the actual instance of Solidworks from?

An alternative would be to disable the PDM Add In entirely and perform Check Ins and Check Outs from the Windows Explorer Vault View while using the VPN, but that's fucky if you're used to doing things from the Add-in side of things.

Maybe gently caress around with PDM Web2 if you have that level of licensing (though really, if you had that level of licensing you should already be set up to use this, or your VAR did a lovely job).

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

It's pretty good. I've been putzing around with it outside my regular work SOLIDWORKS, and I'm fairly pleased. The UI for 3DX SOLIDWORKS is slightly different in the task pane on the right (file storage and revision control synced to The Cloud) and the icons for like your system options are near but not exactly where they were.

I'm getting a kick out of it. I've heard from people who would know, the browser based CAD that comes with the offer is more CATIA styled, if that's appealing.

The only cautions are that you don't want it installed side by side with regular standalone SOLIDWORKS, and CAM is coming Soon™️

I haven't had a chance to dig deep into the data management setup yet, but what little I've done has me pretty pleased with it. But that might be because I hated Fusion 360's data management.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No. Autodesk bought HSMWorks: https://www.autodesk.com/products/hsmworks/overview

Solidworks is cursed with CAMWorks by default.

Yeah. We got the worst possible timeline. HSMWorks is awesome, by far the best CAM software I've ever used (which isn't saying a lot but still). If SolidWorks had bought it and bundled it in, they'd have completely killed the only reason I use Fusion 360.

CAMWorks on the other hand is loving terrible. It has to install loving MS Access on your computer for the goddamned tool database! Aaaaghghhhghghg

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah. We got the worst possible timeline. HSMWorks is awesome, by far the best CAM software I've ever used (which isn't saying a lot but still). If SolidWorks had bought it and bundled it in, they'd have completely killed the only reason I use Fusion 360.

CAMWorks on the other hand is loving terrible. It has to install loving MS Access on your computer for the goddamned tool database! Aaaaghghhhghghg

Can I bitch about the database?

Because I loving hate the way they implement the database.

If you and any other user make changes to it at the same time, it is absolutely random which changes it will keep and which it will discard.

If you want to find a particular tool in the tool crib and have more than a handful of tools, good loving luck because the way it sorts the tool crib list seems to be "last saved/added goes to the bottom of the list" except for when you are in Solidworks and scrolling that list looking for a tool. Then it's all over the loving place.

And holy poo poo, if IT sets up a new user and fucks up the installation so that it sets up it's new TechDB over the top of the common TechDB everything you've done for the last however many months just got obliterated (unless you're paranoid like me and keep a local back up just for such an eventuality).

It's also just so drat clunky to add a custom tool profile:

Model the tool profile, save it as a tool profile file for the TechDB, then go to the TechDB and add a custom tool, pick the file of the profile you just made, etc.

But wait!

The TechDB completely loving ignores the dimension data from the tool profile file you made earlier and you have to manually define the critical dimensions.

Also, just for loving fun: If you have more than one custom tool profile it will randomly use graphics from other tools in simulation rather than the actual tool profile you modelled up. This behavior cannot be resolved without closing Solidworks altogether, purging the temp folder and restarting Solidworks/re-loading the CAM add-in.

Why the gently caress is tool data stored in the temp folder rather than pulled from the Database? What kind of lazy-rear end coding is this where the temp folder stores tool geometry that it uses for the active file without cleaning it out each time you start programming another file?

EDIT:

Once upon a time there was a free 2.5D HSMWorks add-in for Solidworks but I can't remember if it still exists or not.

EDIT 2: It does, it's HSMXpress and it can be downloaded here: https://www.autodesk.in/campaigns/hsmxpress-download

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 30, 2021

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

I've described software as 'by engineers, for engineers' before (looking at you optistruct) but I think this takes the cake, good grief.

Out of morbid curiosity, do you have to provide your own MS Access license to make it, uh, "work"?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

FWIW you *can* download HSMworks Express from the Indian download link and install it on the Makers SW installation. I did that just loving around:

https://www.autodesk.in/campaigns/hsmxpress-download

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
That's good to know and a shame that HSM works didn't end up with SW and went fusion and that SW for makers has cam soon, but I have my own seat of mastercam because of some silly poo poo so not a huge concern tbh.

Is there a good overview site for the SW for makers program?

This would be a fresh install of SW on a new machine so no issues there either.

E: is there a way to look up license details without going through a VAR? I have an old (2004 SW office) license that was briefly on maintenance in 2017 that I'm curious about the status of, but my local VAR always trys to upsell and I'm not curious enough to deal with them.

meowmeowmeowmeow fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 1, 2021

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

That's good to know and a shame that HSM works didn't end up with SW and went fusion and that SW for makers has cam soon, but I have my own seat of mastercam because of some silly poo poo so not a huge concern tbh.

Is there a good overview site for the SW for makers program?

This would be a fresh install of SW on a new machine so no issues there either.

E: is there a way to look up license details without going through a VAR? I have an old (2004 SW office) license that was briefly on maintenance in 2017 that I'm curious about the status of, but my local VAR always trys to upsell and I'm not curious enough to deal with them.

Solidworks made it a policy for everything not current and on maintenance to be made current/on maintenance in order to get any support for it several years ago.

Your old license is basically "gently caress around and find out" status as far as I know.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

VARs can only see license information that they have sold, so unless you bought from us, there's not a lot I can do. If you really really want to check, DM me and maybe that'll be a fun coincidence. I'm not sure what you'd want to know, though.

There's some info here, 3DS aren't great at describing what they've made, so explaining that is a fair chunk of our job, happy to answer whatever questions I can:

https://discover.solidworks.com/makers#_ga=2.4176944.1692016925.1638366541-61d0e2d0-4645-11ec-8a73-434f0b76b71f

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

NewFatMike posted:

VARs can only see license information that they have sold, so unless you bought from us, there's not a lot I can do. If you really really want to check, DM me and maybe that'll be a fun coincidence. I'm not sure what you'd want to know, though.

There's some info here, 3DS aren't great at describing what they've made, so explaining that is a fair chunk of our job, happy to answer whatever questions I can:

https://discover.solidworks.com/makers#_ga=2.4176944.1692016925.1638366541-61d0e2d0-4645-11ec-8a73-434f0b76b71f

Kinda sucks that they don't at least set the profit limit on the license to the license cost for regular Solidworks licenses.

$,2000? Really? At least Fusion360 had that limit at $100,000 for their free startup licenses back in the day.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, the idea is you go from Makers > Entrepreneur > Regular customer.

The entrepreneur program has free commercial SW for the first year, 70% off the second, 50% off the third, and full price after that. So after 4 years of doing the thing, you ought to be making enough to pay your regular cost.

I don't know of anyone who has been denied the program, but that could easily be selection bias. You do need to have a particular product or products, so consultants/freelancers are ineligible.

If anyone in thread is trying to go for that, let me know. Even if I'm not your VAR, I might have some tips or resources.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
gently caress.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
That sucks, wonder why they're cutting it.

I never liked it but can see the appeal of an all in one SW package, having to learn just enough mastercam modeling/drawing to program was a pain.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Well if it makes you guys feels any better, CAMworks is *not* the odds on bet for the Makers program.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

That sucks, wonder why they're cutting it.

I never liked it but can see the appeal of an all in one SW package, having to learn just enough mastercam modeling/drawing to program was a pain.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...-301362715.html

quote:

Sandvik to acquire leading CAM software company CNC Software Inc., creators of Mastercam

SANDVIKEN, Sweden, Aug. 25, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Sandvik has signed an agreement to acquire US-based CNC Software Inc., a leading provider of CAD/CAM software solutions for manufacturing industries and the company behind Mastercam, the most widely used Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM) brand in the industry. CNC Software will be reported in the Design & Planning Automation division within Sandvik Manufacturing and Machining Solutions.

By acquiring CNC Software, Sandvik gains a world-class CAM brand in the Mastercam software suite with an installed base of around 270,000 licenses/users, the largest in the industry, as well as a strong market reseller network and well-established partnerships with leading machine makers and tooling companies.

"This is in line with our strategic focus to grow in the digital manufacturing space, with special attention on industrial software close to component manufacturing. The acquisition of CNC Software and the Mastercam portfolio, in combination with our existing offerings and extensive manufacturing capabilities, will make Sandvik a leader in the overall CAM market measured in installed base. CAM plays a vital role in the digital manufacturing process, enabling new and innovative solutions in automated design for manufacturing," says Stefan Widing, President and CEO of Sandvik.

CNC Software has a strong market position in CAM, and particularly for small and medium-sized manufacturing enterprises (SME's), something that will support Sandvik's strategic ambitions to develop solutions to automate the manufacturing value chain for SME's - and deliver competitive point solutions for large original equipment manufacturers (OEM's). Combining the strengths of Mastercam with Sandvik's offering and know-how within machining is expected to be an important enabler in automating the customers' end-to-end manufacturing processes.

"Mastercam will be the cornerstone in Sandvik's CAM portfolio, further improving machining productivity by combining our machining know-how with their CAM expertise to improve quality and reduce waste for our customers. Specifically, we will leverage data capture and use to secure efficient tool selection and tool path optimisation for our customers. I look forward to welcoming the CNC Software team to Sandvik," says Mathias Johansson, President of the Design & Planning Automation Division in Sandvik Manufacturing Solutions.

CNC Software is an independent, family-owned company founded in 1983, headquartered in Tolland, Connecticut, USA, with 220 employees. The revenue for 2020 totaled USD 60 million with an EBIT margin of 25-30 percent, and of which the share of recurring revenue was approximately 60 percent. CNC Software has had a historical annual growth rate of approximately 10 percent and is expected to outperform the estimated market growth of 7 percent.

The underlying EBITA margin is accretive to Sandvik Manufacturing and Machining Solutions. However, the first year after closing date, revenues will be impacted by deferred revenue accounting adjustments, and the EBITA margin will be slightly dilutive to Sandvik Manufacturing and Machining Solutions. Impact on earnings per share will initially be slightly negative.

Transaction costs are to be accounted for in the third quarter 2021 and estimated to SEK 25 million.

The parties have agreed not to disclose the purchase price. The deal is expected to close during Q4 2021, subject to customary regulatory approvals. In conjunction with the closing, Sandvik will make a write-down of overlapping assets representing SEK 30 million.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 2, 2021

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I was going to guess that they didn't like being used as support for Solidworks issues just because the MasterCAM add-in was there and they were eliminating the add-on because it isn't their job to provide Solidworks support.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Had a fun lil meeting for WORLD speakers today, virtual VIP tickets are $125 for earlybird and $150 for regular fare, which includes the certification exams coupon code:

Proof of vaxxx required to attend, which hell yeah.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Yeah, but here's the pricing if you want to attend in person (where vaccination status matters):

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Pretty sure I can still get free passes for maker types if you want one, hmu

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Is there any way to sculpt components after you've modelled them in Fusion? I am drawing a chair and it has alot of rounded curves that don't quite fit with a normal fillet or swept profile and I'm trying to see if there is anyway to model them.

Basically, how do I model this:

From this:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm not sure what it might be called, but in SOLIDWORKS I would model out a swept cut using the profile I want. It's how I did the edge on my cigar rest:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A combination of swept cuts and lofted cuts could probably do it, yeah. The Fusion 360 sculpt mode, which is just T-Splines integrated into the software, would also be a decent way to approach that, but generally you would start from scratch rather than using it to modify something blocky.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm probably the greenest guy here, but could you do a fillet for most of it, then swept/lofted cuts for the taper portions

Seems like you could filet the swoopy parts, then use that constant radius to build your tapers from

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
welp, my solidworks student ed is letting me know i lose access in 15 days. the EAA loophole is dead, right? what are my Student Budget options for keeping a legit license that, critically, keeps my access to my ~200 ongoing projects made with 2020-21 SW intact? i’m fine with that Maker subscription thing but if it produces file formats that aren’t interchangeable with standard SW there’s no fuxking point.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, EAA program is dead. It gives you a 50% off discount for the Makers edition.

Makers version is pulling in regular SW parts fine, pulling a Makers part into commercial SW is still giving me an angry notification. I can still do regular STEP export from the Makers version fine, too.

Still sucks that there isn't a two-way interchange with the watermark, but I'm still working on it with the SW folks so it looks like it did for the EDU version.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
yeah if i can’t exchange files with other SW users without limitations there’s basically zero incentive for me to pay for this software anymore, which really blows. emphasize that that is a serious dealbreaker. watermarks i can live with, but actively hobbling me working with other and taking away functionality that used to be there is a hard Nope, gently caress Yall from me

e: also, what's going on with the EAA-linked CSWP etc credits? are those still being offered along with the membership? because a 50% discount off Maker plus the EAA membership fee means you're saving "basically nothing", the free cert credits are the only thing I see that sweetens the pot at all

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 17, 2021

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
I've started getting into Fusion 360 and it's pretty cool. I'm making some rollers. :woop:

It feels extremely polished coming from FreeCAD. It's not perfect, but being able to go back and change features without it randomly shuffling all the subsequent faces and vertices feels like I just jumped 100 years into the future. The joint system is really nice too.

Oh yeah, also I was really put off by the cloud stuff, but it turns out you can switch files between read-only and writable any time you want and the 10 file limit is only for concurrent open designs. This actually seems to be a clever way to limit the complexity of free users' designs without walling off functionality. Also you can export into f3d files and send them to other people. That addresses my other complaint about cloud stuff, though I don't really understand how it meshes wrt to the online storage. Anyway, what I mean is that the cloud limitations of fusion 360 aren't as bad as they sound on the tin. The only hang-up I have left is the "ethics" of cloud storage, for lack of a better term, and if Autodesk decides to eat itself, I can always go back to FreeCAD.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is there any way to sculpt components after you've modelled them in Fusion? I am drawing a chair and it has alot of rounded curves that don't quite fit with a normal fillet or swept profile and I'm trying to see if there is anyway to model them.

Basically, how do I model this:

From this:

Setup a bunch of driving cut profiles and sweep a cut across it. Your fillet can be changed also into something called a variable fillet. Have a play, I prefer multiple sketches along a path as it allows me more control .

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm trying to replicate this:

Now, I haven't really done this sort of thing since my high school drafting class (t-squares and pencils, baby!) but don't they need to tell us the radius of the curves on the upper left? I see that they give radius values for the mouse feet cutouts on the underside, but not for the slot in the top.

This is the base plate hole for a Pixart LM19-LSI mouse lens. I've looked through the rest of the datasheet and can't find any additional info.

Edit: or are we just meant to assume R = 8mm (19mm total height - 3mm from the little cutout in the middle, divided by two)

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 21, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It calls out 4x R7.05mm curves.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

withak posted:

It calls out 4x R7.05mm curves.

Oh, hell, it's right there... I saw that line, but because it was pointing at that circle in the center, I disregarded it. Thanks.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Oh, hell, it's right there... I saw that line, but because it was pointing at that circle in the center, I disregarded it. Thanks.

That other line you see is just pointing at the centerpoint of the radius the dimension is for, not the other circle. Look closely at where the arrow head is. The center of the radius callout just happens to be really close to tangent to the circle.

If that dimension had been for that circle, the line would have been pointing at the center of that circle, not at some oblique line that intersects that circle.

That's the problem with that particular style of dimensioning though (and why I hate it if I'm dimensioning a print that has multiple round features near each other).

Hell, that circle isn't even a feature, it's a detail callout circle for the "detail F" view below. Whoever made that print should have made their detail circle closer to the feature they wanted to detail to avoid this problem.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 21, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hell, that circle isn't even a feature, it's a detail callout circle for the "detail F" view below. Whoever made that print should have made their detail circle closer to the feature they wanted to detail to avoid this problem.

Whew, I was getting annoyed that I couldn't figure out how that circle was defined.

I'm surprised they don't use some kind of dashed outline for a detail callout like that.

I don't like that drawing very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

withak posted:

Whew, I was getting annoyed that I couldn't figure out how that circle was defined.

I'm surprised they don't use some kind of dashed outline for a detail callout like that.

I don't like that drawing very much.

They probably do, but have the lineweight/scale set too small to show properly on the drawing. If you look at their centerlines the gaps in the lines are waaaay too small for that view's apparent size. The same thing is probably happening with the detail view circle. It should either appear as a phantom line with a leader going to the letter F, or have a break in it somewhere with arrow heads on each end of the break with the arrow heads pointing at the letter F (which should be situated within that break).

So what we probably have happening here is an object that was drawn with Metric units and dimensioned with lineweights/styles/etc. that were set up for things drawn in Imperial/Inch units--with the odd exception of the hatch pattern on the section view.

EDIT: If that drawing is from a textbook I sure hope there are exercises asking for the reader to point out the mistakes.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 21, 2021