Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
lol @ almost a half million reviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
User scores are lower on gog, probably because people who are big CDPR fans, and therefore more likely to be mad when the game was disappointing, would tend to buy it on gog

Recent reviews are uhh something is up

Also this one

Doesn't look that weird until you notice it was posted two days ago. Why is this guy mentioning the pre-release marketing in a review he posted a year after the game came out?!

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

https://mobile.twitter.com/GuyFieri...09%2Fframe.html

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I bought it for $30 on sale on Steam. It looks okay, the first hour appears to be entirely on rails and for some reason if you press a button too soon after the prompt in the tutorial it won't do anything, which makes everything feel janky, but otherwise seems fine so far.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

mysterious frankie posted:

But what if Chris did his Mario Mario voice the whole time?

Deep down we all know Chris Pratts Mario voice is just his regular voice, like everything else he voices.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Judging by the Steam sale this thread's going to have to work overtime to counter all the new players enjoying themselves.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Theyre a devoted bunch of poo poo posters. They'll manage

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

2house2fly posted:

Doesn't look that weird until you notice it was posted two days ago. Why is this guy mentioning the pre-release marketing in a review he posted a year after the game came out?!

Why not? What are you implying?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I tried to replay this game for the first time since launch and it's still a messy bloated nightmare that is somehow both empty and overfull at the same time. It's really impressive how they managed to do that

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Nobody talks about prerelease marketing for old games, of course.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Cyberpunk could have been a decent game if it wasn't open world but then they would have had to make more game instead of fill it up with farcry side missions.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Cyberpunk should hide the city map in each district until you climb a skyscraper and hack an antenna

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Why not? What are you implying?

That after a game is released the pre-release hype is no longer relevant

E: the Daikatana advert is funny, but if I made a decision in 2021 to buy Daikatana it wouldn't be because of that advert

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 30, 2021

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The company lying about their game doesn't stop being relevant because the lies were a while ago.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

History Comes Inside! posted:

I refuse to believe anyone can make a more hollowed-out nothing of a game than Outer Worlds.

Even a little Bethesdajank would have glittered that turd up some.

I can't even remember playing that game, anything about it or the plot or characters. Literally nothing about it stood out or was remotely memorable. I guess that one spaceport you keep returning to was cool, outside of that it was like the worst parts of Borderlands mixed with the blandest parts of Fallout.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

I can't even remember playing that game, anything about it or the plot or characters. Literally nothing about it stood out or was remotely memorable. I guess that one spaceport you keep returning to was cool, outside of that it was like the worst parts of Borderlands mixed with the blandest parts of Fallout.

This can't be true because I absolutely remember the worst parts of Borderlands. I wake up in a cold sweat sometimes remembering snatches of the worst dialog ever committed to a major videogame.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I've noticed a lot of quick make a dialog choice before the timer runs out! but as far as I can tell, the choices don't affect anything. Maybe an XP bonus or something?

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

dyzzy posted:

Nobody talks about prerelease marketing for old games, of course.

This made me feel all warm and fuzzy in the right places. Grown ups made that, marketing creeps sure, but technically adult human beings thought that that line of selling and tagline was a good idea. I want to say it was a different world but I don't know.

Incidentally was the marketing for duke nukem forever similar? I've memoryholed the entire thing... also, have I imagined there being vaginas as doors in that horror show? Or was that real?

infernal machines posted:

I've noticed a lot of quick make a dialog choice before the timer runs out! but as far as I can tell, the choices don't affect anything. Maybe an XP bonus or something?

There's definitely some places where it matters in the immediate outcome of a situation.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Splorange posted:

I want to say it was a different world but I don't know.

it slouched toward night city to give birth to this one

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Splorange posted:

Incidentally was the marketing for duke nukem forever similar? I've memoryholed the entire thing... also, have I imagined there being vaginas as doors in that horror show? Or was that real?

A quick google search only came up with a cheesy magazine ad https://retrogamingaus.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duke-Nukem-Time-to-Kill-3.jpg

Then there was the original trailer that mostly focused on action and mini-games.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I got it for sale on steam. So far it strongly reminds me of Force Awakens. It's constantly bombarding me with things happening and saying go go go, to the point that it feels like nothing is actually happening. All plot no story.

Noob mechanics question: are there any stats I should prioritize? Important breakpoints to shoot for? All the percentage based stat and perk effects leave me uncertain of what it will actually all do.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Wittgen posted:

I got it for sale on steam. So far it strongly reminds me of Force Awakens. It's constantly bombarding me with things happening and saying go go go, to the point that it feels like nothing is actually happening. All plot no story.

Noob mechanics question: are there any stats I should prioritize? Important breakpoints to shoot for? All the percentage based stat and perk effects leave me uncertain of what it will actually all do.

You probably want to keep pumping the two core stats necessary for hacking and opening doors but beyond that stats and perks are almost completely irrelevant so you can just do whatever

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wittgen posted:

Half of the perks don't actually do anything and you'll break the difficulty like 10-20 hours in anyways so put them into whatever.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Wittgen posted:

You can become a hacker god if you spend enough points to be able to make legendary quick hacks (there's another way to get them but it's grindy and not worth the minmaxing imo), in particular the legendary short circuit will turn anything you do into instant kill printers.

Nothing else really feels that binary based on perk choices, mainly you will get to a point in the game where everything by default just tickles due to how the scaling happens. This is not the kind of game you need to make a spreadsheet for.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Cold Blooded looks useful on the surface so I put some stuff in that and pistol headshots, a few other things I forget. Nothing appears to drastically change up the gameplay so I'm not sweating my choices so far.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

'All plot no story' I think sums up my feelings.

Case example: In Witcher 3 the map has monster nests all over the place. There's nothing interesting about them per se, you just go there for a quick monster combat encounter and walk away with a bit of loot and some xp. In Cyberpunk these combat/loot encounters exist on the map in 3-4 guises and there's a load of voice/text justification for what they are and why I'm killing a bunch of random people and the net effect is actually less than the sum of its parts because my gamer brain knows that none of this plot exposition relates to or will be relevant to the main story and what I am playing is a bit of filler combat encounter.

It's like the plan was 'be a bit more like an ubisoft open world game, except actually do some good writing' except because you can see the Ubisoft-style map-filling content the writing automatically gets discounted.

e: also the game is constantly distracting you from what you are trying to do. Witcher 3 is arguably longer than it needs to be, but it is perfectly paced in terms of never feeling like it takes you out of a quest you are trying to progress by waving something else in your face.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 30, 2021

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The cool thing about the cyberpunk gigs is that a lot of them are connected into little self contained stories. I remember the first time I got the gig to kill Jotaro, I was thinking this guy is a real piece of work that deserves to taste my blade because he’d cropped up in a few other gigs prior. Most people don’t read the shards, but if you do you can get rewarded.

Also fyi, monster nests sucked rear end.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Also fyi, monster nests sucked rear end.

They did, but you literally had to go out of your way to do them and if you got remotely near them on a road you wouldn't get a phone call from Dandelion about how bad the monsters over there were.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Most people don’t read the shards, but if you do you can get rewarded.

The shards read like some intern had to write them all over long weekend, lmao

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Monster nests are more like the random shootouts you drive by in the city, gigs are like the bulletin board quests (but worse).

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Alchenar posted:

'All plot no story' I think sums up my feelings.

Case example: In Witcher 3 the map has monster nests all over the place. There's nothing interesting about them per se, you just go there for a quick monster combat encounter and walk away with a bit of loot and some xp. In Cyberpunk these combat/loot encounters exist on the map in 3-4 guises and there's a load of voice/text justification for what they are and why I'm killing a bunch of random people and the net effect is actually less than the sum of its parts because my gamer brain knows that none of this plot exposition relates to or will be relevant to the main story and what I am playing is a bit of filler combat encounter.

It's like the plan was 'be a bit more like an ubisoft open world game, except actually do some good writing' except because you can see the Ubisoft-style map-filling content the writing automatically gets discounted.

e: also the game is constantly distracting you from what you are trying to do. Witcher 3 is arguably longer than it needs to be, but it is perfectly paced in terms of never feeling like it takes you out of a quest you are trying to progress by waving something else in your face.

The thing about all of those blue map markers is 90%+ (100%?) of them are just a small group of people standing around doing nothing, you kill them, and then loot the shard that sheds some light on why they're standing around doing nothing.

Ubisoft open world stuff usually involves some kind of puzzle or challenge to solve. Not so in Cyberpunk 2077. You can walk up behind them and shoot all of them in the head before they have a chance to react as easily at level 1 as at level 50.

Maybe there's an NCPD mission that has more to it, but I don't remember it. Shoot the guys. Loot the shard. Objective complete.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQGK7cqp9t4

The same thing that compels people to climb unclimbable mountains in skyrim leads me to do ramp off of anything and everything, almost always going nowhere.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Wittgen posted:

I recommend avoiding Intelligence and the quick hacking skill. Hack objects all you want, to distract enemies or get everyone's locations on the map, but do not hack people! It is insanely overpowered, and you will end up just frying whole groups of enemies and feeling bored. Plus when you hit someone with Short Circuit (the best hack) they stop animating and like teleport from a standing position to lying down, it looks stupid. Possibly this has been patched, but the rest still stands. Dodge and dash around blasting your enemies with shotguns or peppering them with SMGs, as God intended

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

forest spirit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQGK7cqp9t4

The same thing that compels people to climb unclimbable mountains in skyrim leads me to do ramp off of anything and everything, almost always going nowhere.

I appreciate this. I too find a similar compulsion when I get bored doing missions in open world games

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Alchenar posted:

They did, but you literally had to go out of your way to do them and if you got remotely near them on a road you wouldn't get a phone call from Dandelion about how bad the monsters over there were.

I mean honestly Witcher 3 could only be improved with phone calls from Dandelion.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Hey Geralt, it's your cousin Dandelion, let's go bowling

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im thinking of getting PUNKED, price is right

edit: i have some CS:GO guns that i can sell

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Just finished my second play through of Cyberpunk. Picked a different ending, and this one was just as affecting as the first time I beat it. About to start a new playthrough, possibly doing a Nomad->Corpo run. I don't know. One thing I can say is that for all the talk of lack of replayability, choice and consequences, my two Vs felt very different from each other. Part of that was gender, but also how I played each character. I'm very excited to see what the expansion brings, and I hope there's more than one.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I reinstalled because something someone said in here gave me the itch to have a drive around. Can't even remember what it was now or who said it. Anyway, had a nice walk in-game but there's way too many duplicate townsfolk wandering around right next to each other and it's annoying. Also I should be able to buy the glowing translucent hoodie I saw one NPC wearing. Make that a drat free DLC instead of this lame jacket that if I wear it I can't see my Joker shirt any more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

2house2fly posted:

I reinstalled because something someone said in here gave me the itch to have a drive around. Can't even remember what it was now or who said it. Anyway, had a nice walk in-game but there's way too many duplicate townsfolk wandering around right next to each other and it's annoying. Also I should be able to buy the glowing translucent hoodie I saw one NPC wearing. Make that a drat free DLC instead of this lame jacket that if I wear it I can't see my Joker shirt any more!

Try this if you're on PC.

https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/3176

It doesn't quite fix the duplicate issue but it improves it.

It seems like in order to fix the console issues CDPR has massively downgraded parts of the game and some of those downgrades made it to the PC version. So, if you're walking around and wondering where all the cars and pedestrians are - this mod should fix that.