Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Poopernickel posted:

just use SSH and tunnel everything

boom, problem solved you're welcome

has anyone used mosh? is it worth it? would IT kill me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

mawarannahr posted:

I donked around with it some. [iTerm2 local] + [tmux on remote] is a better fit for my use-case.

Iterm2's tmux integration is serious magic. You don't need to gently caress around with tmux commands, config files, or anything. it "just works" and gives you a native-feeling terminal session that you can reconnect as needed.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 30, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DoomTrainPhD posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? Deployment happens in a pipeline, no random loving developer laptop get's to deploy anything
ah, you're a stranger to systemd development, i see

Poopernickel posted:

just use SSH and tunnel everything

boom, problem solved you're welcome
ssh -D 1080 owns, though

mawarannahr posted:

the only advantage to mosh that i've been able to find is if you're on a link with a high latency and high delta between packets

so if you're on a train while using WWAN, basically

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I'm glad to use an OS that does not bundle a buy now, pay later pitch into a core part of the operating system.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/11/microsoft-plans-to-integrate-a-buy-now-pay-later-app-into-edge/

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

so if you're on a train while using WWAN, basically

does that even matter any more? I was holding open an ssh tcp connection through the sf subway, transbay tube, and all that poo poo a decade ago with umts/hsdpa.

mosh was that thing everyone wanted to keep their eye on for a few years when it came out, because it solved a problem we had at the time, but we didn't consider mosh safe/stable enough to see widespread use. then connectivity got better and mosh was kinda pointless for the majority of the users who thought it was neat.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
I have used it on an airplane over the lovely airplane wifi once or twice. The predictive local echo was nice for reducing the apparent latency of stuff I typed.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

nudgenudgetilt posted:

does that even matter any more? I was holding open an ssh tcp connection through the sf subway, transbay tube, and all that poo poo a decade ago with umts/hsdpa.

mosh was that thing everyone wanted to keep their eye on for a few years when it came out, because it solved a problem we had at the time, but we didn't consider mosh safe/stable enough to see widespread use. then connectivity got better and mosh was kinda pointless for the majority of the users who thought it was neat.
connectivity can still be spotty in areas; there's a place near where i live where if you walk down a bike path between some houses, reception just drops for no adequately explainable reason
but connectivity has gotten a lot better for the most part

the only other use-case for mosh i know of is the way i heard about it originally, with someone being trapped in an elevator

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

mawarannahr posted:

mosh should be mandatory installed everywhere whenever you have to access something over anything but a cable on a local LAN segment. Networking staff may be a hindrance because of UDP, but they probably haven't heard of HTTP/3 either. The networking staff at big exchange (tm) are still unaware that HTTP/2 is a thing and that's constantly amazing and an infosec 💩 fest.

mosh also has some sort of type ahead support so it feels more responsive, very noticable long distance.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Oh help me Lunix gurus. I have a family of three apps for MLB and need to move to Docker because of hardware issues.

Simpleton approach:
1: Single Docker container with three apps and NGINX, exposing a single port.

Single responsibility approach:
1: 3 × Docker containers, one for each app, each with an exposed port.
2: 1× Docker container for NGINX as a gateway, forwarding to the other three containers.

The main sticking point is that NGINX needs access to the file system from two of the apps in order to provide sendfile acceleration of videos. How stupid is running NGINX in each container with the two apps that need acceleration, and passing that through the gateway as an additional hop?

Also, does ffmpeg work in Alpine without major issues? Oh what a mess.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 1, 2021

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

MrMoo posted:

Oh help me Lunix gurus. I have a family of three apps for MLB and need to move to Docker because of hardware issues.

Simpleton approach:
1: Single Docker container with three apps and NGINX, exposing a single port.

Single responsibility approach:
1: 3 × Docker containers, one for each app, each with an exposed port.
2: 1× Docker container for NGINX as a gateway, forwarding to the other three containers.

The main sticking point is that NGINX needs access to the file system from two of the apps in order to provide sendfile acceleration of videos. How stupid is running NGINX in each container with the two apps that need acceleration, and passing that through the gateway as an additional hop?

Also, does ffmpeg work in Alpine without major issues? Oh what a mess.

can you not mount a volume into multiple dockers using compose? its trivial with kubernetes (i am not suggesting using kubernetes)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nomnom Cookie posted:

can you not mount a volume into multiple dockers using compose? its trivial with kubernetes (i am not suggesting using kubernetes)

You absolutely can.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

No

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

DoomTrainPhD posted:

You absolutely can.

ok then yeah do that op

i agree k8s is inappropriate for this use case, it is just what i have experience with

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

imagine that i posted a flowchart with the question "are you a hyperscaler" leading to a boolean where yes is "use kubernetes" and no is "don't use kubernetes".

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

don't use alpine

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

don't use alpine

This. Musl is slow and bad.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Progressive JPEG posted:

don't use alpine

ive only started learning about docker in the past couple of weeks. what do you like instead

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

post hole digger posted:

ive only started learning about docker in the past couple of weeks. what do you like instead

Debian/Ubuntu is the best choice for a docker container base.

You have to setup some timezone stuff at the top of your dockerfile first though. IE:

code:
FROM debian:bullseye

ENV DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive
ENV TZ=US/Pacific

# Setup tzdata first as to avoid a dialog requesting tzdata setup.
RUN set -e; \
  apt --allow-unauthenticated update; \
  apt --allow-unauthenticated upgrade -y; \
  apt-get install -y apt-utils gpgv2 locales tzdata; \
  localedef -i en_US -c -f UTF-8 -A /usr/share/locale/locale.alias en_US.UTF-8; \
  ln -snf /usr/share/zoneinfo/$TZ /etc/localtime; \
  echo $TZ > /etc/timezone;

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

imagine that i posted a flowchart with the question "are you a hyperscaler" leading to a boolean where yes is "use kubernetes" and no is "don't use kubernetes".

this except both arrows go to "don't use kubernetes"

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
it's no coincidence that kubernetes rhymes with diabetes

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
What are the alternatives to K8s?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Poopernickel posted:

this except both arrows go to "don't use kubernetes"

why not

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Debian/Ubuntu is the best choice for a docker container base.

You have to setup some timezone stuff at the top of your dockerfile first though. IE:

code:
FROM debian:bullseye

ENV DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive
ENV TZ=US/Pacific

# Setup tzdata first as to avoid a dialog requesting tzdata setup.
RUN set -e; \
  apt --allow-unauthenticated update; \
  apt --allow-unauthenticated upgrade -y; \
  apt-get install -y apt-utils gpgv2 locales tzdata; \
  localedef -i en_US -c -f UTF-8 -A /usr/share/locale/locale.alias en_US.UTF-8; \
  ln -snf /usr/share/zoneinfo/$TZ /etc/localtime; \
  echo $TZ > /etc/timezone;

interesting thanks. i am most familiar with rhel/centos but will look into this

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

post hole digger posted:

why not

interesting thanks. i am most familiar with rhel/centos but will look into this

I like RHEL in docker containers as well! It just happens to be a bit fatter.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MrMoo posted:

2: 1 Docker container for NGINX as a gateway, forwarding to the other three containers.

This is the option I would choose. As adding more containers (if needed) in the future is easier with this option.

Edit:

Also cert management, as the other containers don't have to be running HTTPS, only the frontend, so you only have one container that has to deal with HTTPS certs.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

DoomTrainPhD posted:

What are the alternatives to K8s?

real alternatives offered by real yospos posters:
* simply do not have more than 3 EC2 instances
* docker swarm
* bake an AMI for each app and run everything in ASGs
* have a single mission critical server that is never allowed to have even a minute of downtime, even for a kernel update

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
unpopular opinion: Unless you're working at ~*EnTeRpRisE ScAle*~, containers are almost always unnecessary. They add another layer of complexity and offer no benefit over just using your distro's package manager and systemd sandboxing.

The pendulum will swing away from containers within the next 4 years, guaranteed.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 1, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

The pendulum will swing away from containers within the next 4 years, guaranteed.
some of us have had containers since 1999

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

unpopular opinion: Unless you're working at ~*EnTeRpRisE ScAle*~, containers are almost always unnecessary. They add another layer of complexity and offer no benefit over just using your distro's package manager and systemd sandboxing.

It's an unpopular opinion because it's wrong lol.

Nomnom Cookie posted:

real alternatives offered by real yospos posters:
* simply do not have more than 3 EC2 instances
* docker swarm
* bake an AMI for each app and run everything in ASGs
* have a single mission critical server that is never allowed to have even a minute of downtime, even for a kernel update

I laughed at docker swarm. :D

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hey guys, this thing that sandboxes your application, makes dependency management easier, locks down dependencies, and makes development much easier for developers is just a fad because it requires learning something new and a tiny bit of setup.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

as if docker doesn't have any downsides

it makes dependency management easier because it hides all dependencies

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tankakern posted:

as if docker doesn't have any downsides

I never said containers didn't have any downsides, but those downsides are far outweighed by the upsides.

Edit* If anything, I would recommend not using docker in favor of podman if you can do so.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Tankakern posted:

true and good

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

oldie but goodie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPRvc2UMeMI

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
in my day they called containers "application pools" or "servlets"

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
When you do a docker, your dockered thing has more dependencies, not less. Because now it depends on docker too, in addition to all of the stuff that still has to go into the docker image. And it probably also depends on some server that hosts the docker image, unless you rebuild it every time. And extra configuration for the host system that's running dockerd.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Poopernickel posted:

When you do a docker, your dockered thing has more dependencies, not less. Because now it depends on docker too, in addition to all of the stuff that still has to go into the docker image. And it probably also depends on some server that hosts the docker image, unless you rebuild it every time. And extra configuration for the host system that's running dockerd.

you honestly think you just wrote a very insightful post, don't you

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

Podman is daemonless.
Everything you just said about more dependencies is not a bad thing when it means your application is sandboxed, and you don't have to deal with different distributions/package managers, or different versions of dependencies.

Either you are trolling, or very bad at Linux.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
if all your apps have first party docker images and your setup is simple you actually have less configuration than any other setup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Perplx posted:

if all your apps have first party docker images and your setup is simple you actually have less configuration than any other setup

No no, don't you see, Docker is a dependency! A DEPENDENCY! IT'S ONE MORE! UNACCEPTABLE!