Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

This was posted about a few days ago, here's a follow up.

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1466007421428682754

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I don't believe cops...but I also don't believe millionaire Hollywood Actors...

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

pentyne posted:

This really isn't the thread to argue the legal irregularities for the Smollet case especially since there seem to be a lot of people fully willing to disbelieve anything he says and 100% back the Chicago PD, an organization that literally ran/is running torture blacksites to force suspects into giving confessions.

Blindly assuming that everything the Chicago PD says is a lie is just as dumb as blindly believing them, especially when the story that's come out of Smollet's own mouth was so ridiculous. If the Chicago PD claimed the earth was round would you become a flat earther?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

thekeeshman posted:

Blindly assuming that everything the Chicago PD says is a lie is just as dumb as blindly believing them, especially when the story that's come out of Smollet's own mouth was so ridiculous. If the Chicago PD claimed the earth was round would you become a flat earther?
You're the one who said he publicly claimed the attackers were white. Could you back that up?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Lot of people in this thread lucky that that the victim being a queer black man apparently makes it perfectly acceptable to attack his credibility and argue the cops are clearly an unbiased source of truth.

Am I missing something? Did Jussie Smollet try to take down a major Democrat figure or something in the last few weeks?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I actually thought all the charges had been dropped so I was surprised to see a headline about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You should consider cops to be as trustworthy as Donald Trump.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

thekeeshman posted:

If the Chicago PD claimed the earth was round would you become a flat earther?

mistrusting the CPD on a verifiable, objective fact and mistrusting them on the subject of whether a gay black man was assaulted are not the same thing shut the gently caress up.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s okay to say “I don’t know what happened” and just shut the gently caress up for a little bit. You don’t have to choose between the black queer guy who doesn’t have his story straight and the racist rear end Chicago PD. There’s a criminal case about this. Wait for the facts.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

UnknownMercenary posted:

This was posted about a few days ago, here's a follow up.

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1466007421428682754

Didn't she make a pretty penny off of her memoir? Maybe some restitution to Mr. Broadwater is in order. Or actual ownership of her own role in the whole debacle.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DarkSol posted:

Didn't she make a pretty penny off of her memoir? Maybe some restitution to Mr. Broadwater is in order. Or actual ownership of her own role in the whole debacle.

Uh, she was still attacked and raped, which seems like the point of the memoir. She made a mistake at first but when she wasn't able to identify him again the cops and DA basically browbeat her into believing it was him.

The only truly guilty party here are the cops.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Hm I can think of one other.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They should rerelease the book with a forward that names the cops and the judge who were complicit in the framing of an innocent man.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

pentyne posted:

Uh, she was still attacked and raped, which seems like the point of the memoir. She made a mistake at first but when she wasn't able to identify him again the cops and DA basically browbeat her into believing it was him.

The only truly guilty party here are the cops.

I still think, even if she wasn't the sole cause here, that she has a moral duty to share the millions in profits with the man whose life was ruined due to her pointing at him on the lineup. She was victimized by the police as well, but her life was materially improved on the whole because of the story that he had a fundamental part in.

I think that if they rerelease the memoir, she similarly has a moral duty to edit and update with this situation in mind, perhaps even to reflect on the fraught nature of a black man going to jail on incorrect testimony from a white woman. She seems like a decent person overall, and her apology was a great start, so I really hope she does what is right.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vegetable posted:

It’s okay to say “I don’t know what happened” and just shut the gently caress up for a little bit. You don’t have to choose between the black queer guy who doesn’t have his story straight and the racist rear end Chicago PD. There’s a criminal case about this. Wait for the facts.

That's generally where I'm at, but I legit thought the story was that he was attacked at or around 2am when it was, like, below zero degrees out by 2 white MAGA chuds in Chicago who recognized him from Empire, which didn't make any sense to me on it's face for a few reasons, and I thought that was the general consensus. Though I can't for the life of me remember where I got any of my information, so I fully admit I'm wrong since no one in here can pull a story about him saying the guys were white, which already puts the whole thing into question. Strange how that story went loving nuts. Now I don't know what the hell happened.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Famethrowa posted:

I still think, even if she wasn't the sole cause here, that she has a moral duty to share the millions in profits with the man whose life was ruined due to her pointing at him on the lineup. She was victimized by the police as well, but her life was materially improved on the whole because of the story that he had a fundamental part in.

I think that if they rerelease the memoir, she similarly has a moral duty to edit and update with this situation in mind, perhaps even to reflect on the fraught nature of a black man going to jail on incorrect testimony from a white woman. She seems like a decent person overall, and her apology was a great start, so I really hope she does what is right.

She didn't point at him in a lineup, though. She pointed at someone else, and then the cops told her afterwards that it was because a friend trying to trick her or something? The cops then convinced her to testify it was him. Then microscopic hair samples "matched" him, which has since been proven to be bullshit science.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/davidmack/alice-sebold-apology-anthony-broadwater-rape

quote:

Broadwater was later arrested when a police officer suggested he had been seen in the area where Sebold said she had seen the man.

But Sebold failed to pick Broadwater out of a police lineup and instead selected another Black man.

In court, though, she testified it was Broadwater who had raped her — in part, his defense attorneys later claimed, because prosecutors falsely told her that the man she had picked out of the lineup was a friend of Broadwater and that the pair were trying to trick her.

Fitzpatrick, the district attorney, noted in court last week that witness identifications of strangers can often be unreliable, especially when made across racial lines.

He also blasted the now-discredited "junk science" of microscopic hair analysis that was used to convict Broadwater.

A revised memoir wouldn't be a terrible idea, with new sections on how the police hosed the whole thing up, but I can see why she may not want to go back into it. But yeah, someone owes him some money. I think it's the system. She would certainly be nice if it was her.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 2, 2021

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

She didn't point at him in a lineup, though. She pointed at someone else, and then the cops told her afterwards that it was because a friend trying to trick her or something? The cops then convinced her to testify it was him. Then microscopic hair samples "matched" him, which has since been proven to be bullshit science.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/davidmack/alice-sebold-apology-anthony-broadwater-rape

A revised memoir wouldn't be a terrible idea, with new sections on how the police hosed the whole thing up, but I can see why she may not want to go back into it. But yeah, someone owes him some money. I think it's the system. She would certainly be nice if it was her.

Even if that is true, she still testified against him, making her complicit, even if she was on some level coerced. He went to jail as a result of her decision to testify. That's not to say you shouldn't have sympathy for her, as she was also a victim, but her victimization didn't mean 16 years in jail and a ruined life.

It is also his story, and she has two books and two movies worth of money made from his story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I absolutely don't think she is 'guilty' in the slightest since she was a victim of the police who exploited her to be shitheads.

That said even if she doesn't legally owe him anything I can't imagine not feeling like you morally owe him something. That is of course her decision but I can't imagine not doing everything I could to help someone whose life got ruined in part due to me. Even something like agreeing to pay his legal fees while he sues the *poo poo* out of the city

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 2, 2021

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

That's generally where I'm at, but I legit thought the story was that he was attacked at or around 2am when it was, like, below zero degrees out by 2 white MAGA chuds in Chicago who recognized him from Empire, which didn't make any sense to me on it's face for a few reasons, and I thought that was the general consensus. Though I can't for the life of me remember where I got any of my information, so I fully admit I'm wrong since no one in here can pull a story about him saying the guys were white, which already puts the whole thing into question. Strange how that story went loving nuts. Now I don't know what the hell happened.

Smollett executing a hoax involving lying to police, mail fraud, etc. as a bizarre, ill-advised publicity stunt, and the Chicago PD being a notoriously corrupt organization that tried to use leaks to convict Smollett in the court of public opinion, can both be true at the same time.

The really fun turn was when the DA dropped the first set of charges and Rahm Emanuel, who was essentially voted out due to complicity with police corruption, felt the need to get involved.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 2, 2021

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I thought this was a pretty good summary of the case:

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah, if you make the small leap that it was racist cops looking to gently caress someone over during the height of Trump fever, it all falls into place.

----------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: You can read all the police reports on the incident here.

tl;dr - Not a single report contains any actual evidence against Jussie. The only thing they have to try and show that Smollett arranged the attack himself were the interrogations of the Osundairo brothers.

Curiously, despite every attempt by the press and Smollett, the police have refused to release a single second of those interrogations.

Also, the Osundairo brothers are no longer cooperating with the police because when the CPD went to the brother's home they stole a whole bunch of their stuff, lol.

CPD gonna CPD.

----------------------------------------------------------

So, to recap what happened:

Jussie Smollett was walking at night and was attacked by two men who beat him so badly they broke a rib, roughed up his face, tied a noose around his neck and poured a caustic substance, possibly bleach, over him.

He went home and told two friends who were there what happened. He refused to call the police himself, but one of his friends decided to call them against his wishes.

So, the CPD sends out three detectives - not regular cops, detectives - who also happened to have a combined 35 criminal complaints against them from members of the public. Rather than listen to his attempts to explain what happened, they immediately demanded access to his phone and all his financial records.

The CPD ends up putting 24 detectives on the case. Again, not regular cops, but full blown detectives. 24 of them.

Eventually, the cops bring in two brothers, Abimbola and Olabinjo Osundairo, who knew Jussie from the TV show Empire and who he had paid $3500 to help him bulk up for another role. They eventually get the brothers to say Smollett had paid them that money to break his rib and pour bleach over his face (just what any actor would do - gently caress up their face).

Of course, the police have also refused to release any of the interview tapes with the brothers, despite every other police report on the matter being made public [see start of post]. Given how police always seem to magically leak the slightest bit of evidence to make minorities look bad, this alone is a huge red flag.

From reading all the police reports [see start of post] there's not a single thing there that points to Smollett setting up this huge con. The police found footage of Smollett's car in a parking garage. They have footage of a man they claim is Smollett walking along a road around the time of the attack. They have footage of two unidentified silhouetted men walking along a nearby street around the time of the attack. They have footage of the Osundairo brothers buying winter gear, including a balaclava right before the Polar Vortex hit Chicago. They claim to have footage of them buying rope, but I don't think it was ever released.

Also, despite the cops saying the Osundairos brought rope, no mention has ever been made whether the rope they purchased matches that tied into a noose around Smollett's neck. The fact they haven't been shouting that from the rooftops is pretty much proof that the rope the brothers brought wasn't a match.

Video of the brothers buying winter clothes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRp0bkbrKCg&t=210s

In all, not a single shred of physical evidence to show that (1) Smollett faked his own attack or that (2) the Osundairo brothers were actually involved. Everything the police say they have comes from their interrogation of the brothers - interrogations they have refused to release to the public.

This is the work of 24 detectives and that's the best they could come up with. Ask yourself when was the last time the CPD put 24 detectives on a case of a beating of a gay black man?

And the cops certainly weren't above outright intimidation. The attack on Smollett happened on the 29th of January. A month later, the cops execute a warrant on his person during a meeting between the cops and Smollett and his lawyer.

Also, kicking his lawyer out of the room and leaving Smollett alone with one of the detectives for an unknown length of time:

Just alone in the room with a cop after refusing to answer questions. All alone.

Nope, can't see anything wrong with that.

Things the police did not do: check the phone records of anyone in the area at the time of the attack. Not only would it have shown if the Osundairo were anywhere near the place, it could even be used to cross-check the numbers against know police offices, for instance.

drat shame not one of those 24 highly trained and experienced police detectives thought to do that, then.

So, moving on from the attack itself, we get to the legal fuckery. And this is where poo poo really gets wild.

I'll split this up into another post, because there was so much insane stuff going on with the arraignment and charges that it's going to take me a bit just to find it all.

But the big moments of the legal stuff were the police trying to use a prosecutor who wasn't even licensed to practice law to force through the charges against Smollett, with 17 counts of making false statements to police. They did this by taking Smollett's initial statement to police, chopping it up into single sentences and then using each individual sentence as a "false statement".

Also police offices protesting alongside open white supremacists when the charges were initially dropped.

Trying to force Smollett to pay for the cost of the investigation into his attack. Over $130,000. gently caress, imagine if the cops got away with that - no minority would ever report anything to the cops again. No woman would ever report a rape.

Oh, wait.

For the second rhetorical question of the night - who can remember the last time cops protested on a courthouse's step because charges against some were dropped? That didn't involve an attack or murder of a police officer?

The CPD are an incredibly corrupt batch of assholes and siding with them anywhere is a bad idea.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

graventy posted:

The CPD are an incredibly corrupt batch of assholes and siding with them anywhere is a bad idea.

It is also my guess that the DA dropped the charges the first time around because the PD did not conduct a competent investigation.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I forgot all the details of the case, but reading that summary I'm going to go ahead and call it that the men who jumped Smollett were known by the CPD to be CPD and the clown car of detectives assigned to the case were to get ahead of any potential case against the CPD, despite Smollett never fingering any police officers in the beating. Somebody knew exactly who the perps were, they were probably cops, and this was done to head off any internal investigation. You know, despite the fact that he never mentioned if they were cops (and likely didn't know).

I mean it sounds like an insane conspiracy theory but it's the CPD we're talking about, the guys who basically operate their own CIA-style black sites.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Is there not a better place to talk about other Hollywood-related crime/acab stuff than the sexual assault thread?

I'm not saying it isn't interesting, but one of the reasons it's good to have dedicated spaces to talk through sex assault stories is that it's easy for those stories to get talked over in more general conversation.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah, and it would've gone fairly unremarked here if a few credulous goons hadn't started jaqing off over the case and acting like the CPD should be taken seriously.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It's like the Rust set shooting. I'm sorry that lady died, but was this the right place for that particular discussion?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think a Black actor claiming to have been attacked in a hate crime (that very possibly related to his sexual orientation) and then being discredited by the media and legal system is a lot closer to the subject matter of this thread than the Alec Baldwin thing. I am totally fine to drop it but I think a lot of what's going on, like the kind of "his story is crazy, he's obviously lying for attention," etc. in this very thread is extremely related to the ways sexual assault cases are discussed. I guess my point is, yeah we can move on, but also I think it is not that bad for a thread to take a moment to push back against misinformation like that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I've debated for awhile renaming this thread to better reflect that the content sometimes include just general awfulness out of the industry. Similar to BSS's industry terribleness thread.

If the thread would prefer this to be just focused on sexual assault/harassment stories then I'll leave it be and wouldn't mind someone starting up a thread to discuss these other industry stories or direct them to dnd/cspam.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah, sorry, I only brought up the summary because this thread was starting to do that “maybe it is the victims who are wrong” thing again and it pisses me off.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

graventy posted:

What's the (probably apocryphal) Benjamin Franklin quote? "Rather let a hundred guilty man go free than a single innocent one be imprisoned." Modern justice operates on an inverse of that ratio.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skwirl posted:

What's the (probably apocryphal) Benjamin Franklin quote? "Rather let a hundred guilty man go free than a single innocent one be imprisoned." Modern justice operates on an inverse of that ratio.

The Warhammer 40k view of law.

graventy posted:

Thanks for adding this. I last remembered it sounding loving fishy and I had no idea it had turned out this insanely hosed up.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 3, 2021

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Skwirl posted:

I mean, that and "also, no matter how obvious their guilt is the rich should NEVER see consequences for their actions."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I've debated for awhile renaming this thread to better reflect that the content sometimes include just general awfulness out of the industry. Similar to BSS's industry terribleness thread.

If the thread would prefer this to be just focused on sexual assault/harassment stories then I'll leave it be and wouldn't mind someone starting up a thread to discuss these other industry stories or direct them to dnd/cspam.

I think people should be able to post Smollet and other abuse cases perpetuated by authority figures touching on the entertainment industry. This thread was pretty much a ghosttown before the Smollet news, and personally the posts here have done a great job in educating me on the matter.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
why do they even still sell balaclavas?

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

If the mods want to change the focus of the thread to a more general one, I don't really care. I just get salty about squeezing other topics into a thread about sex assault because as someone who's spent 20+ years being annoyingly feminist on the internet, holy poo poo do some people want to consistently change that subject to other things that are also bad.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

deety posted:

If the mods want to change the focus of the thread to a more general one, I don't really care. I just get salty about squeezing other topics into a thread about sex assault because as someone who's spent 20+ years being annoyingly feminist on the internet, holy poo poo do some people want to consistently change that subject to other things that are also bad.

Salient point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

why do they even still sell balaclavas?

It gets loving cold in Chicago.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Skwirl posted:

It gets loving cold in Chicago.

Yep. hosed me up for a second once turning a corner and seeing a huge dude walking toward me in one, until I registered that I probably wasn't going to get mugged in the afternoon by a dude in an orange and blue star ski mask. I usually got by with a scarf wrap and a hoodie, which I guess isn't that different.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Yep. hosed me up for a second once turning a corner and seeing a huge dude walking toward me in one, until I registered that I probably wasn't going to get mugged in the afternoon by a dude in an orange and blue star ski mask. I usually got by with a scarf wrap and a hoodie, which I guess isn't that different.

Lol, what the gently caress? You know balaclavas were invented for warmth, not crime, right?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

packetmantis posted:

Lol, what the gently caress? You know balaclavas were invented for warmth, not crime, right?

Yeah but how often do you see them used for warmth as opposed to crime, in terms of media? I get having the instantaneous reaction that you then laugh at yourself about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yea they get a bad rap