Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Malignant was the third best movie of the year behind Dune and Benedetta and it will be a shame if it doesn't get a physical release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

david_a posted:

So you bought the UHD and it came with a BR + code?

In that case I own 4 copies of the film plus digitals I didn’t use.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dragonshirt posted:

Malignant was the third best movie of the year behind Dune and Benedetta and it will be a shame if it doesn't get a physical release.

Malignant is out on Blu-ray but not in 4K.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Didn't know that!

I won't be happy until I have a 4K steelbook of it in my hands!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
They should've made it a flipper disc

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Origami Dali posted:

They should've made it a flipper disc

Holy poo poo I remember those.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Malignant will probably get a VHS release at some point ala House of the Devil

willing this one into existence.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

That chair huck across the police station makes the entire movie.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Man, the '89 Batman UHD looks insanely good.

One minor thing, did they gently caress with the sound? The gunshots sound different to me, it's not bad or anything it's just noticeable if you've seen the movie a lot

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

RichterIX posted:

One minor thing, did they gently caress with the sound? The gunshots sound different to me, it's not bad or anything it's just noticeable if you've seen the movie a lot

Yes, I've read multiple times they changed the gunshots in that. I haven't personally seen the UHD so I'm not sure what else they changed.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Some of the SFX were changed for the atmos mix to move away from the re-used Dirty Harry / Aliens stuff (which were only used originally because they ran out of time or something).

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Yeah, it was a bit scandalous in part because they suck compared to the original.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Some of the SFX were changed for the atmos mix to move away from the re-used Dirty Harry / Aliens stuff (which were only used originally because they ran out of time or something).

Batman was using a M41A pulse rifle this whole time! :aaa:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
This is the same issue that people have been discussing with the Road Warrior UHD. It's one of those things where only hardcore fans are gonna really be effected by it because I watched the UHD and didn't notice anything odd but I'd only seen the movie once or twice before that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Iron Crowned posted:

Batman was using a M41A pulse rifle this whole time! :aaa:

Every movie should use the pulse rifle sound effect for any kind of gunfire, regardless of caliber or weapon type. This includes retroactively going back and changing any gun that has ever been used in any movie, including silent films.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Every movie should use the pulse rifle sound effect for any kind of gunfire, regardless of caliber or weapon type. This includes retroactively going back and changing any gun that has ever been used in any movie, including silent films.

I would subscribe to the YouTube channel that does this

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Audio is probably the last thing I notice anyway because I just have tv speakers

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

https://shop.bfi.org.uk/the-werner-herzog-collection-blu-ray-box-set.html

Warner Herzog blu-ray set with 18 films on sale from BFI for £24.99, came out to about $45 shipped to the States. Similar to the Shout box set we got in the US but the transfers are almost universally better in comparison. It is region B so you'll need a universal player or something like a hacked PS3 (my solution)

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Roth posted:

Audio is probably the last thing I notice anyway because I just have tv speakers

You're doing it wrong

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 4, 2021

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'll get back to you when I can afford a better sound system

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
I get the feeling that the $12 wired pc speakers you find at Target are better than tv speakers

(bc those're perfectly fine speakers as long as you're not an audiophile)

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

The only sound change in a movie that I've noticed was the guns sounding stupid in every new release of the Terminator.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Roth posted:

I'll get back to you when I can afford a better sound system

Have you considered selling internal organs and/or killing people for money? :thunk:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Xenomrph posted:

Have you considered selling internal organs and/or killing people for money? :thunk:

That's for savings.

My real answer is that I might just blow my tax return on a new tv, region free player, and decent speakers.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I went down the rabbit hole of trying to put together a good audio setup with clear dialog a few months back, and wound up just getting a decent pair of comfortable headphones for around $80.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My av receiver has audyssey for setting up the sound and thats a super kick rear end feature.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The secret is start w speakers, then receiver, then TV. Speakers never really change, they age great. Relatively high-end receiver after gets you modern connections, and then TV will get you the best picture in the moment.

I’ve got the same speakers since 2010. If it wasn’t for an unexpected failure, I would have had the same 2010 receiver until I needed to change it in 2018 for HDR/Dolby Vision.

My TV is from 2016, model-wise, I believe, and it’s more than enough. But I would love a Sony OLED w 3D support. That’ll be the next jump, potentially.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Best bang-for-buck sound upgrade is for sure wired headphones. Not useful for group watching obviously, but it’s also a purchase that will last for a long time and the cost is peanuts compared to equivalent quality speakers.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm rocking a receiver and pair of speakers from the 70s. They sound great but I'd kind of like to get a modern receiver so I don't have to run my TV to a bluetooth receiver and then from there to RCA composite into my stereo receiver. I don't know how I don't have audio delay but I don't.

Also surround sound would be nice.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

david_a posted:

Best bang-for-buck sound upgrade is for sure wired headphones. Not useful for group watching obviously, but it’s also a purchase that will last for a long time and the cost is peanuts compared to equivalent quality speakers.
Can headphones reproduce the directional effect you get from having speakers behind you? I've actually never been clear on this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You can get headphones with Atmos support now, so I’m guessing they can replicate that to a degree.

I love a good pair of headphones if I’m trying to be cognizant of making sound that might annoy or interrupt other people, but if I’m at home on my own that’s never going to be the way I want to listen to anything.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Can headphones reproduce the directional effect you get from having speakers behind you? I've actually never been clear on this.

When I wear headphones while playing online video games with good sound design, I feel like I play better because I hear where other players are coming from more accurately. I might just be imagining this because the sound is so much louder when I play with headphones so someone that has more audio knowledge should respond.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Yes, with some caveats:
* There is binaural sound, which is 2 audio channels designed for headphones (see longer explanation below). A receiver can downmix multi-channel sound into something approximating this. A handful of discs also have dedicated binaural tracks.
* Even with standard stereo, the channel separation is so much higher that panning is much more pronounced. You also feel pretty engaged with the sound since you are “inside” the stereo field.

“Stereo” for sound usually refers to 2 audio channels intended for speakers - imagine a recording taking place in a room with two mics where the speakers are (the two speakers and the listener form an equilateral triangle). Binaural sound is 2 channels but the mic placement is where your ears would be. You can directly record like this using a dummy head (the shape of the head & ears is very important) which obviously nobody does for movies. You can also downmix multichannel audio using head-related transfer functions (HRTF) to simulate this. Dolby Atmos is supposed to be much better about this although I don’t know much about the specifics

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I just put on the Flash Gordon 4K for the first time and it was an EXCELLENT blind buy. It looks absolutely gorgeous.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I got an MSRP $110 pair of Sony wireless headphones for $11 a couple years back. The audio quality is acceptable, but I also got them so that my roommate and I could enjoy the good TV when the other one is sleeping.

It's pretty good for listening to the news while I'm scooting around getting ready for work in the morning, or watching spook-a-doodles at 7am on Sunday.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

RichterIX posted:

Comparison here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkgLzxiaUA4&t=339s
(Skip to 5:38 if it doesn't automatically.)

I think the new sound effects are atrocious. Also, I'm not quite sold on the new very contrasty look the film now has.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Lumbermouth posted:

I just put on the Flash Gordon 4K for the first time and it was an EXCELLENT blind buy. It looks absolutely gorgeous.

Yeah, it's easily one of the best uses of HDR I've seen yet. And the detail on the costuming just rules.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Steen71 posted:

Comparison here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkgLzxiaUA4&t=339s
(Skip to 5:38 if it doesn't automatically.)

I think the new sound effects are atrocious. Also, I'm not quite sold on the new very contrasty look the film now has.

It's quite common for remixes to include new foley work. I'm guessing most audiences won't know or notice (I didn't for Batman) or that they want to beef it up to better take use of the surround sound format.

The worst is still Jaws. In mono, when Jaws crashes through the boat, it's alive and visceral. It shakes you. In surround, it literally sounds like he broke a glass in the sink.

https://youtu.be/N7MiVghLlQk

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's quite common for remixes to include new foley work. I'm guessing most audiences won't know or notice (I didn't for Batman) or that they want to beef it up to better take use of the surround sound format.

The worst is still Jaws. In mono, when Jaws crashes through the boat, it's alive and visceral. It shakes you. In surround, it literally sounds like he broke a glass in the sink.

https://youtu.be/N7MiVghLlQk

I totally understand certain people's need to use their sound system to the full effect, but there's a reason I like to watch things with the original mix if possible.

It's basically the audio version of stretching a 4:3 aspect ratio to 16:9 IMHO. Yeah sure you've got a 7.1 surround system, but that didn't exist in 1985.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sound is the least important part of a film's presentation to me, I personallydon't find that surround adds much if anything to the experience. I watch 4K movies using my TV's built in audio. Gimme the original mix, even if it's mono.