Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kangra posted:

CC1 - Good for a proof of concept, but it really only has one or two types of battle: advancing into potentially dangerous situations complicated by the knife-fight ranges of bocage country, or occasionally defending a similar situation. I still think it is the best at establishing a connection to your unit, since it's a smaller-scale game and the campaign advances in a way that fits that scale. (This comes packaged for free with any of the others on GoG, or at least it used to. That's partly because it can be pretty unstable, so expect that some battles will just crash; it should still be playable.)

It was only included as a bonus for Windows 7/8 versions of the early games, which also probably tells you something about the stability of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone reccomend me some more "on-the-go" grog games? I've really dug Armored Commander II, Valor and Victory, Lock n Load Digital, but I'm burnt out on them. Anything that's easy to jump in and out of.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Small battles in Field of Glory 2 are good to dip in and out of. Easy to setup, quick to play and no ongoing campaign to remember what you were doing.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I have that one in my library actually so thats perfect ty!

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

skewetoo posted:

Is there any way to remove all the labels always showing in tacview for cmano? TIA (have advanced version)

IIRC you need to open up Tacview as standalone, set the visibility settings (incl. labels) to your liking, and close it. The settings should then be applied when you next use Tacview as a window inside CMO.

Unfortunately there is currently no way to set these properties directly through CMO.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone reccomend me some more "on-the-go" grog games? I've really dug Armored Commander II, Valor and Victory, Lock n Load Digital, but I'm burnt out on them. Anything that's easy to jump in and out of.

I found the two Battle Academy games to be some good fun in this way. The first one is on sale for $1.50 on Steam right now which is a steal. Def on the lite, beer n pretzels side of gaming tho.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Seconding Battle Academy

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

for $1.50 I'm def going to snag it. Thank you!

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I spent Thanksgiving in the Shenandoah Valley this year, and I shouldn't be surprised at all but man - the ACW looms large there.

It got me to start in on the JTS/WDS Campaign Shenandoah I've had for a bit, and I finally finished a real scenario. It's always been some weird hump to get over for me, usually quitting at first contact because I didn't really know how to maneuver or what I should be doing, but I stuck it out and you know...it really doesn't take nearly as long as it seems. Granted, it was the first scenario after the tutorial map, but I took the Union side and I'm pretty sure they were supposed to lose but I turned it into a crushing victory by running cavalry around the forest roads and came out right on top of their artillery and Stonewall Jackson hisself. They managed to push my main regiment off of the objective thanks to a bad luck rout of some pretty fresh troops, but I managed to pull the line back together and shove them back into the woods.

Fun stuff, I like WDS and hope they keep up the John Tiller improvement train.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
when it comes to playing big grognard scenarios, including JT games but not limited to them, you just really need to get over The Fear and hit end turn, eventually something will congeal and a plan will reveal itself to you

and when something isn't obvious, just head for the closest enemy and hit it as hard as you can

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Squiggle posted:

I spent Thanksgiving in the Shenandoah Valley this year, and I shouldn't be surprised at all but man - the ACW looms large there.

It got me to start in on the JTS/WDS Campaign Shenandoah I've had for a bit, and I finally finished a real scenario. It's always been some weird hump to get over for me, usually quitting at first contact because I didn't really know how to maneuver or what I should be doing, but I stuck it out and you know...it really doesn't take nearly as long as it seems. Granted, it was the first scenario after the tutorial map, but I took the Union side and I'm pretty sure they were supposed to lose but I turned it into a crushing victory by running cavalry around the forest roads and came out right on top of their artillery and Stonewall Jackson hisself. They managed to push my main regiment off of the objective thanks to a bad luck rout of some pretty fresh troops, but I managed to pull the line back together and shove them back into the woods.

Fun stuff, I like WDS and hope they keep up the John Tiller improvement train.

My moment was playing against Hypnobeard in France '14. It was my first time digging into a really big scenario. It's fun and engaging in a different sort of way. I do wish there was better reporting tools, or a log of combat results, or something to parse through for more data. Finding who is low on this, or missing that, is a pain in the rear end when you get a shitload of units.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the one thing that JT games need is the ability to make the fire/assault results process instantly without the long pause for the sound-effect and the explosion

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I only discovered the "Highlight Disrupted Units" option late in the scenario, which helps a bit, but yeah - I wish there was an start-of-turn report with details of what happened on the CPU turn, and the ACW games specifically need the /D on the on-field battle results to show when a unit gets disrupted. Weird that you have to look at the unit to see, oh yeah, it's disrupted now.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

when it comes to playing big grognard scenarios, including JT games but not limited to them, you just really need to get over The Fear and hit end turn, eventually something will congeal and a plan will reveal itself to you

and when something isn't obvious, just head for the closest enemy and hit it as hard as you can

Never mind the maneuvers, just go straight at them.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

uPen posted:

Never mind the maneuvers, just go straight at them.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Yeah, I really hate that if you want to see details of what happened during the opponent's turn you have to watch it. It's not too horrible with a small-medium scenario but the monsters (which are what we're looking for with the JT/WDS games, let's be honest) really make that tedious as hell.

Playing various big '14 scenarios I found that I needed to have a vague overall plan (like "attack on the right, hold in the left and middle") and then just take each big group of units in an area in turn. Until you get into WW2 and later, your units just don't move fast enough to have more than a local impact, so you're basically fighting like a dozen smaller fights. Pick some local objectives and go for them.

Hmm, now I want to go back and try and parse some saves again.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hypnobeard posted:

And relive my failures... :negative:

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Yooper posted:

And relive my failures... :negative:

I mean you were at a disadvantage to start, playing the Germans for the Marne. And there were definitely chunks of my line that were going to give way sooner rather than later. The center, in particular, was really worrying the hell out of me.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I’m glad about these posts. JTS can seem so intimidating and I always feel I’m doing something “wrong.” Thank you for the reminder that this is somewhat normal.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Kvlt! posted:

By "on-the-go" do you mean more simple but still on PC, and not necessarily historical? If so, while not grognard, I feel like the game Into the Breach is a nice snack-sized game that people who enjoy grognard games would likely enjoy. It's really good

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Hypnobeard posted:

Yeah, I really hate that if you want to see details of what happened during the opponent's turn you have to watch it. It's not too horrible with a small-medium scenario but the monsters (which are what we're looking for with the JT/WDS games, let's be honest) really make that tedious as hell.

Playing various big '14 scenarios I found that I needed to have a vague overall plan (like "attack on the right, hold in the left and middle") and then just take each big group of units in an area in turn. Until you get into WW2 and later, your units just don't move fast enough to have more than a local impact, so you're basically fighting like a dozen smaller fights. Pick some local objectives and go for them.

You really need to keep notes on your plans, what each army/corps/division is trying to accomplish, and what you are seeing you opponent do. Then compare notes from the end your last turn to the situation at the beginning of the current turn.

Or you can just spend 45 minutes watching the opponent turn replay all across northern France.

I've been wanting to do a Sealion '40 game, but have always run into things causing me to put it on the back burner. The grand campaign isn't too large or complex for two players, but is over 300 turns.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wartales is out today. It's a bit 'fancy Battle Brothers'.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
So the shambling corpse of Atari released three of the Sid Meier Command series games from the 80s on Steam. Conflict in Vietnam, Decision in the Desert and Crusade in Europe.

https://store.steampowered.com/publisher/atari/list/87749

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Alchenar posted:

This is news to me and intriguing. Been on a bit of a medieval kick lately, so I'll keep an eye on this one.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Q_res posted:

So the shambling corpse of Atari released three of the Sid Meier Command series games from the 80s on Steam. Conflict in Vietnam, Decision in the Desert and Crusade in Europe.

https://store.steampowered.com/publisher/atari/list/87749

While the games seem interesting from a historical standpoint, I'm not quite THAT grog.

Alchenar posted:

From the steam forum, it looks like the level scaling is a bit aggressive. Maybe it'll be adjusted in a patch. Might try the demo later.

E: Looking quick on google, the demo may have been a limited thing. What I'm seeing is that it's just a pretty but watered down battle brothers.

Hippocrass fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 1, 2021

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hippocrass posted:

While the games seem interesting from a historical standpoint, I'm not quite THAT grog.

Man, they didn't even polish it, just DOSBOX and go. The recent B-17 launch is like that too, my monitor does the epileptic dance for about 5 seconds before finally rendering the game. No thanks to buying a nearly 40 year old PC product.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Yooper posted:

My monitor does the epileptic dance for about 5 seconds before finally rendering the game.

As someone with Epilepsy I'd just like to take a moment to thank you for mentioning this. So nice to have warnings about that sort of thing possibly popping up on steam.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I picked up Drive on Moscow and Warplan with the Steam sale and both of these seem like very playable games! I finished a quick game of Drive on Moscow in about an hour, and dicking around with Warplan's 1944 scenario I was able to do a D-Day and begin some semblance of Bagration without too much trouble.

Warplan specifically gives me a very nice vibe of Clash of Steel (for all you oldies) that Strategic Command never quite did.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

pthighs posted:

By "on-the-go" do you mean more simple but still on PC, and not necessarily historical? If so, while not grognard, I feel like the game Into the Breach is a nice snack-sized game that people who enjoy grognard games would likely enjoy. It's really good

I love that game! Especially as a mech/kaiju fan.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I picked up Drive on Moscow and Warplan with the Steam sale and both of these seem like very playable games! I finished a quick game of Drive on Moscow in about an hour, and dicking around with Warplan's 1944 scenario I was able to do a D-Day and begin some semblance of Bagration without too much trouble.

Warplan specifically gives me a very nice vibe of Clash of Steel (for all you oldies) that Strategic Command never quite did.

I really dug Warplan Pacific. It was a nice stepping stone to being able to understand War In The Pacific.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Alchenar posted:

I'd be very curious to hear impressions on this. I liked Battle Brothers and have wanted something similar to it.

Hippocrass posted:

What I'm seeing is that it's just a pretty but watered down battle brothers.

"Watered down" in what way?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Yooper posted:

Man, they didn't even polish it, just DOSBOX and go. The recent B-17 launch is like that too, my monitor does the epileptic dance for about 5 seconds before finally rendering the game. No thanks to buying a nearly 40 year old PC product.

They did this with M.U.L.E. as well and I’m still salty about it.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

Armauk posted:

"Watered down" in what way?

To be fair, this was an impression I got from a handful of 5 month old reviews of the demo at 5 am. The demo is short, no story, etc. Not really sure how I feel about it right now. I wish a demo was still available. I don't like this new trend of 48 hour demos.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I played a bit of the demo and it felt like Battle Brothers procgen missions but on a crafted map. And obviously aspiring to a more complex tactical combat gameplay as well as looking nicer.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I am on Dec 22nd of my Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive main campaign, so about half way through. I captured Bastogne on the 18th. The AI has tendency to run away from VP and doesn't seem to evacuate or destroy supply depot. Looking through the supply layer it seems Allies is very well supplied even if they destroy all supply depots on the eastern half of the map. Though even major supply depot can only supply a single panzer division for maybe half a day of operation so capturing depot only helps somewhat.

I achieved over 180 VP (major victory) by the 19th and is currently at 225 VP (you receive some bonus VP for causing casualties.

Looks like Axis get major victory if you can do somewhat better than Axis did historically, even though that's still nowhere close to achieving the strategic goal of the campaign. Also by the 19th you'd consume all your fuel stock and your fuel income is only enough to supply about 1/4 of your forces. Capturing depots barely alleviate the situation as mentioned above so I think the way to go is to leave 5th Panzer army at Bastogne and suspend all further operation in the middle of the Ardennes (beyond Bastogne, VP and depot are both few and far between, terrain and road are both also terrible) and push along the Maas river towards Liège where there are multiple strategic depots along the way.

The more detailed terrain is fun to play with (mainly height). You can set up kill zone, or hide unit behind reverse slope. The new uncertain hex ownership is also interesting, allowing single unit to control huge swath of terrain (for cutting off supply) if there is no opposing unit nearby. The kampfgruppe feature is very helpful here as you can drop off small detachment as your mobile forces advance to deter straggler behind you.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Combat Mission Cold War is pretty fun to mess around in but not so impressive that I'm going to spend a lot of time with it.

Is it just me or do the player's troops have no autonomy and won't return fire or take some cover when they're being shelled?

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

OUR SNEEZE SHIELDS CANNOT REPEL A HUNGER OF THAT MAGNITUDE
So I used to enjoy Scourge of War Gettysburg way back when, but I was never really that big a fan of ACW stuff. Is SoW Waterloo any good as a follow-up? Alternately, is there a better option for Napoleonic tactical fare?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Snackbar posted:

So I used to enjoy Scourge of War Gettysburg way back when, but I was never really that big a fan of ACW stuff. Is SoW Waterloo any good as a follow-up? Alternately, is there a better option for Napoleonic tactical fare?

It leans more towards Napoleon Total War-like battles and it's mostly set in 1700s America (British campaign you follow Horation Nelsons career) but Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail is pretty fun.

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

OUR SNEEZE SHIELDS CANNOT REPEL A HUNGER OF THAT MAGNITUDE

Popete posted:

It leans more towards Napoleon Total War-like battles and it's mostly set in 1700s America (British campaign you follow Horation Nelsons career) but Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail is pretty fun.

That looks interesting - I'll check it out. Thanks!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Kangra posted:

CC3 - For good or ill, the campaign runs through the whole of the war, with your unit getting into key battles as the front shifts. This does allow you to play with a wide variety of units, and it's balanced enough that you can rebuild with entirely new forces as you desire (or if you get beaten badly). Each 'battle' plays out over a map that adjusts as you gain or lose territory, and I think it handles this territory shift better than CC2 did. On the other hand, since the campaign is so spread out you don't quite get the connection to a grand operation that game had, nor do you quite get the feel for your units being special quite as much as in CC1, since they update so frequently.

CC3 is the first really grog game I ever played, and it taught me to fear mortars in extremely short order. It also let me fight a part of the battle of Kursk, which at that point as a teenager I'd never heard of. I was so excited to have so many points to spend on tanks, and then when the scenario started I saw why I had them. Excellent game, 10/10, would smash the Nazis all the way back to Berlin again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

https://twitter.com/baloogancamp/status/1466571955218255873?s=21