Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Yeah this is Orym describing his dead spouse but being extremely cagey about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
"and what is the name of your leader?"

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Goddamnit Sam lmao

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Ok, I've figured out season 3.

All of these characters are the best characters.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Deuce posted:

Ok, I've figured out season 3.

All of these characters are the best characters.

If nothing else the entire cast are all playing to their unique strengths both as players and actors this time around

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

drat. FCG is loaded.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
10 platinum, lol, Vex'ahlaura is having a heart attack.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
"You're giving him TEN PLATINUM for that!?!?!?"

(somewhere, Vex rolls in her not-yet-dug grave)

^ ;):hf:;)

AJA fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 3, 2021

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Some of you may suspect, when Laura kills Robbie, that she's freeing up table space for her husband.

It was the ten platinum.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
What the gently caress Fearne, what the gently caress

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Droopy dragonborn usher

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

AngryBooch posted:

What the gently caress Fearne, what the gently caress

It worked, but drat...

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
Theater descriptions are the new shopping trips

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Dorian meets a character from his past

*every other cast member starts writing poo poo down*

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Dorian's backstory?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Dorian's backstory?

Dorian's backstory.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Ah the theatre, the perfect venue for DRAMA

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Not a single initiative roll and it was the best episode of the season so far.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
"You got three!"

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
"you've got a brother!"
yes I do
"and you've got a letter!"
yes, I do
"and you're dead??"

yes

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Fearne stole a straw to use with her new thermos later

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I'm surprised none of them even tried out the obvious "Troublemakers."

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

TotalHell posted:

Robbie is a treasure and he must stay forever

don't mind me, just here emptyquoting from earlier

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'm surprised none of them even tried out the obvious "Troublemakers."

Yeah, what the gently caress is up with that?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
The Travissekers

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I feel like every single episode is going to have huge swaths of the Internet speculating on if it is the one where 1) Travis appears and/or 2) Robbie leaves.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Travis being there for the opening ad and then becoming "Sir Not Appearing in this film" is really making me suspect he is actually busy with business related things as they get closer to the cartoon release. I'm sure he has an office in the same place as the set.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

TotalHell posted:

I feel like every single episode is going to have huge swaths of the Internet speculating on if it is the one where 1) Travis appears and/or 2) Robbie leaves.

let me engage in some of that speculation: I do expect more longer term guest cast members and core cast to be absent for extended periods in general this campaign. Dorian is about to start a background story arc which to me heavily implies that he will leave the party after it. Will Travis' character be introduced towards the end of this series of episodes around Dorian? I hope so.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
What people chose with the level up:
Ashton: STR 17 -> 18, DEX 15 -> 16
Dorian: unknown feat.
Fearne: WIS 17 -> 18, CHA 15 -> 16. She's planning on lying some more.
FCG: CON 17 -> 18, INT 7 -> 8. Odd choice. His wisdom is still 16.
Imogen: a feat that also gives +1 DEX.
Orym: DEX 18 -> 20
Laudna: no ASI due to multiclassing.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Between EXU and C3 they are spoiling the poo poo out of C1 for new viewers. Don't know why they're not being more careful considering they're also spoiling The Legend of Vox Machina that's almost here.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 4, 2021

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Okay, I just have to mention one pet peeve I have about how Matt runs the game, and to a lesser extent, how the cast interacts with the game.

Their 'sassiness' when dealing with powerful/evil/criminal types. They hemmed and hawed and tried all sorts of tricks when the criminal leader was asking them for leverage. Laudna was quippy and sassy towards her warlock patron. It's times like that I wish Matt would bring the hammer down and make it clear that these are people/entities that are powerful and in leadership positions for a reason. But because the PCs show up and do dumb little tricks to talk their way around perceived obligations, they almost have plot armor in that respect. I mean, I get why the players do it - it's a fun power fantasy to be able to not give a poo poo about what other people say, especially if they have some sort of leverage over you. But it makes the bad guys or the powerful entities seem... not that powerful, smart, or even interested in putting these brand new adventurers in their place.

I don't know why it bugs me, but it does. This happened in C1 and C2 as well, but to a lesser extent. Hell, I don't even know if I'm putting this into words correctly. I don't want to call it a lack of respect, because it's not that at all, but it's adjacent to that.

Maybe it just feels like they're playing the characters almost as if the characters were aware of the fourth wall. I would have found that interaction between Laudna and her patron much more interesting if Marisha had shown any concern whatsoever about it. Or thought the criminals they were dealing with were actually threatening instead of thinking, "well, the crew can just shoot their mouths off at this criminal underboss and he won't do poo poo to them".

I'm probably the only one who feels that way, and as long as they're enjoying the game, that's all that matters. It just bugs me.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
You're not alone, I've seen this exact sentiment expressed many times during C2.
At least in Laudna's case I can give them the benefit of the doubt for now because we don't know the details of her relationship with her patron.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Senjuro posted:

Between EXU and C3 they're are spoiling the poo poo out of C1 for new viewers. Don't know why they're not being more careful considering they're also spoiling The Legend of Vox Machina that's almost here.

They're the original creators making a sequel to their existing work. That's like complaining that George R. R. Martin was spoiling the upcoming Game of Thrones adaptation by releasing a new Song of Ice and Fire novel.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Lucas Archer posted:

Okay, I just have to mention one pet peeve I have about how Matt runs the game, and to a lesser extent, how the cast interacts with the game.

I've sometimes felt the opposite, where it seems more obnoxious to me where every conversation is predicated on being standoffish about delivering details that are necessary for the story to continue.

It's more 'immersive' storytelling in a sense but it does always feel repetitive. The fact that others want more of that probably means the middle ground they've landed on is for the best.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Senjuro posted:

Between EXU and C3 they're are spoiling the poo poo out of C1 for new viewers. Don't know why they're not being more careful considering they're also spoiling The Legend of Vox Machina that's almost here.

I may just be cynical but it feels like it's on purpose to drum up interest in C1's characters and story in preparation to the show. It's ~Brand Synergy~

I'm not complaining as I'm enjoying C3 so far but it doesn't feel like a coincidence.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

They're the original creators making a sequel to their existing work. That's like complaining that George R. R. Martin was spoiling the upcoming Game of Thrones adaptation by releasing a new Song of Ice and Fire novel.
But they also must be aware that lots of people, maybe even most at this point, don't watch the campaigns in order. C2 was also almost completely isolated from events in C1 so it wasn't comparable to a direct sequel novel.
Now everyone that started after C2 already knows the fate of every major C1 villain and more.

Hulk Smash! posted:

I may just be cynical but it feels like it's on purpose to drum up interest in C1's characters and story in preparation to the show. It's ~Brand Synergy~

I'm not complaining as I'm enjoying C3 so far but it doesn't feel like a coincidence.
There had to be a smarter and subtler way to do it than throwing out so many major spoilers though.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Senjuro posted:

Now everyone that started after C2 already knows the fate of every major C1 villain and more.

i mean, no, they -- extremely vaguely and in the broadest terms -- know the fate of two out of like 8 bosses

like i don't think it's much of a surprise that the party in season 1 wins and the bad guys did not.

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 4, 2021

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
It's true. The Briarwoods, the conclave. All of it. It's all true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

eke out posted:

i mean, no, they -- extremely vaguely and in the broadest terms -- know the fate of two out of like 8 bosses

like, the party in season 1 wins and the bad guys did not. i don't think it's a big deal

They've so far confirmed that the Briarwoods are defeated, the De Rolos rule Whitestone again, Thordak messed up Emon and was defeated, Vecna was defeated at Vasselheim, Gilmore survived, and Keyleth is the leader of the Ashari. That's kind of a lot.
Even if one generally expects the bad guys to lose, you probably don't want it outright confirmed as soon as you're introduced to them. Especially someone like Vecna who's mentioned pretty early on and it's quite the shock when he actually appears much later.