Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

GrandpaPants posted:

Just put Zorro, Robin Hood, King Arthur, and whoever else into a superteam of unbankable franchises.

You need the three musketeers and the lone ranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The League of Arthurs teams up with the League of Robins Hood, made up of the main characters from all the various poorly performing King Arthur and Robin Hood adaptations.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Isn’t Peter Pan public domain now too? Throw him in that supergroup.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think Peter Pan might actually still be covered under British copyright law.

edit expired in 2007!

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 2, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That just makes me think The Phantom 2024.

We're kinda just reinventing The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen again, but what the hell.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We're kinda just reinventing The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen again, but what the hell.

The League of Public Doms.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Please don't connect Doms to Alan Grant's work, he's a wizard he'll know it happened.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Please don't connect Doms to Alan Grant's work, he's a wizard he'll know it happened.

He's actually a fictional paleontologist.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Or that 80's cartoon Defenders of the Earth.

Hell lets get a Defenders of the Earth movie going, I'll watch Flash Gordon, Mandrake the Magician and The Phantom running around punching dudes. Throw Holmes and Robin Hood and King Arthur in there somehow, I don't care, magic or time travel or some other bullshit.

I'm saying we need more team up movies that are just various pulp heroes nobody has thought about in in about 80 years.

drat it now I just want another The Shadow movie and I'm sad. :(

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

The League of Public Doms.

Their nemesis : The Confederacy of Private Subs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

joylessdivision posted:

Or that 80's cartoon Defenders of the Earth.

Hell lets get a Defenders of the Earth movie going, I'll watch Flash Gordon, Mandrake the Magician and The Phantom running around punching dudes. Throw Holmes and Robin Hood and King Arthur in there somehow, I don't care, magic or time travel or some other bullshit.

I'm saying we need more team up movies that are just various pulp heroes nobody has thought about in in about 80 years.

drat it now I just want another The Shadow movie and I'm sad. :(

The Phantom's canonically had an ancestor who was on the Round Table, and Excalibur is apparently resting in his treasure room.

For a while I was wondering if we'd see a team-up of Star-Lord, Black Panther and Dr Strange as a MCU riff on Defenders of the Earth, but they're not cool enough to do that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And one of those people are dead and would’ve been dead before they even really got a chance too

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Phantom's canonically had an ancestor who was on the Round Table, and Excalibur is apparently resting in his treasure room.

For a while I was wondering if we'd see a team-up of Star-Lord, Black Panther and Dr Strange as a MCU riff on Defenders of the Earth, but they're not cool enough to do that.

Admittedly my knowledge of The Phantom is "Wears a purple outfit and has a skull ring" which rules, and Billy Zane played him in the movie that I was insanely hyped to see as a child and somehow have still not seen, although I think I own a digital copy.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Well Treat my Williams!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

joylessdivision posted:

Admittedly my knowledge of The Phantom is "Wears a purple outfit and has a skull ring" which rules, and Billy Zane played him in the movie that I was insanely hyped to see as a child and somehow have still not seen, although I think I own a digital copy.

The Phantom also routinely outsells DC and Marvel combined in Australia.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

joylessdivision posted:

The movie has a fun start with some nice stunts and stuff but is incredibly bad after in a few ways, but it's like just goofy enough you gotta see it. IIRC they were originally making a more 90s Batman sculpted muscle kind of outfit for Zane to wear instead of just the skull patterns but he got so ripped they didn't need it.

I still LOL forever at those "SLAM EVIL!" posters

Furthermore

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

The movie has a fun start with some nice stunts and stuff but is incredibly bad after in a few ways, but it's like just goofy enough you gotta see it. IIRC they were originally making a more 90s Batman sculpted muscle kind of outfit for Zane to wear instead of just the skull patterns but he got so ripped they didn't need it.

I still LOL forever at those "SLAM EVIL!" posters

Furthermore

The "SLAM EVIL" ads, which I saw a billion of in the back of comics at the time, were truly some 90's advertising lol.

I think I'll do a triple feature of The Rocketeer (never seen it), The Shadow (I loved this movie so much in 1995 I dressed up as the Shadow for halloween that year) and The Phantom this weekend. Just melt my brain with 90's pulp movies.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The Stan Lee-verse is here!

quote:

Wanted filmmaker Timur Bekmambetov and his production banner Bazelevs are in development on a new cinematic universe based on the unexploited horror works by Stan Lee.

Bazelevs will team with ZQ Entertainment, a production company belonging to CAA vet and producer Ara Keshishian, on Sawbones and Carnival of Killers, both of which show a darker side of Lee’s world. Stan Lee’s POW! Entertainment, the company the comic book architect co-founded post-Marvel, will serve as EPs on the projects.

Scribes for the new Stan Lee horror cinematic universe are Kevin Kölsch, Dennis Widmyer, and Matt Greenberg. Kölsch and Widmyer, the director duo behind the latest adaptation of Stephen King’s novel Pet Sematary, will be writing Carnival of Killers, while Pet Sematary’s co-writer Greenberg will be penning Sawbones.

https://deadline.com/2021/12/timur-...een-1234882905/

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

joylessdivision posted:

I watched it recently, and it's...not good, but in a charming way.

I'd be down for a post-colonial riff on The Phantom. The 90's movie stuffs the pulpy racism of the premise inside camp, so it's constantly smirking at you. I'd love to see a version that meets the exotified colonial imagination of the premise head-on, all the "ancient pagan magic from the darkest heart of the jungle" kind of poo poo. I'm not even sure where The Phantom is supposed to take place...Africa? Indonesia? India? That those places are interchangeable across the canon is part of the issue.

The new Rocketeer is going to be about a former Tuskegee airman living in the Jim Crow period, which sounds awesome, so it's not as crazy of an ask as it sounds.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Can't wait for the Striperella Expanded Universe.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

joylessdivision posted:

This is the exact same as me.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Everyone wants Stan lee horror!

We regret to inform you that timur has split owing to Disney wanting to go in a different direction

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

joylessdivision posted:

What I remember about The Phantom is that you could get a replica of aforementioned skull ring from participating Subway® franchise locations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Xealot posted:

I'd be down for a post-colonial riff on The Phantom. The 90's movie stuffs the pulpy racism of the premise inside camp, so it's constantly smirking at you. I'd love to see a version that meets the exotified colonial imagination of the premise head-on, all the "ancient pagan magic from the darkest heart of the jungle" kind of poo poo. I'm not even sure where The Phantom is supposed to take place...Africa? Indonesia? India? That those places are interchangeable across the canon is part of the issue.

The new Rocketeer is going to be about a former Tuskegee airman living in the Jim Crow period, which sounds awesome, so it's not as crazy of an ask as it sounds.

The 2016 Tarzan movie took this approach. I thought it was at least decent, though I wouldn't give it anything beyond that.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Xealot posted:

I think the jungle scenes in The Phantom are supposed to take place on a fictitious island somewhere in the Andaman Sea. So, somewhere south of Myanmar, I guess?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think 90s The Phantom is fine, though definitely the lesser of the 90s pulp revival attempts. I don’t really know dick about the source material.

I had tapes of The Shadow radio show growing up so I was already going to like that.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

GrandpaPants posted:

Just put Zorro, Robin Hood, King Arthur, and whoever else into a superteam of unbankable franchises.

Aquaman was an entertaining King Arthur movie that’s getting a sequel!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Phantom owns. Billy Zane owns. I was struggling to decide what to watch tonight but luckily this is available on Prime.

Edit: I completely forgot Catherine Zeta-Jones is in this, and somehow have seen this about a dozen times and didn't know his father is played by Patrick McGoohan. Honestly I don't understand how anyone thinks this somehow falls apart in the second half, movie is great, campy fun, Treat Williams chews all the scenery. My only complaint is we only get a single look at a shirtless Billy Zane in the entire 100 minutes.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 3, 2021

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Maybe we could just not try to resurrect the fetid corpses of long dead franchises whose time is past.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

galagazombie posted:

Maybe we could just not try to resurrect the fetid corpses of long dead franchises whose time is past.

So, not the comic series that's been in continued publication since WW2, syndicated in newspapers and regularly outselling Marvel and DC?

Xealot posted:

The Phantom specifically and rather consistently takes place in a fictional African country, and like half the plotlines by now are the Phantom defending it against white people trying to exploit and abuse the locals, while being on good terms with the country's president and specifically having good relationships with the native people of the country.

Really the biggest step I can think of to make it properly post-colonial is to have the current Phantom be black or partly black, given there's always been a lot of contrived reasons why despite being a family line that's lived in Africa around black people and treating them as equals the Phantom always ends up have kids with a white woman.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Someone should just make a new Phantom movie with Billy Zane as the phantom again

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'd be down for that. Have Old rear end Kit Walker training a new Phantom before he becomes a force ghost, or whatever it is that happens to Phantoms when they die.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

“Billy, the Phantom doesn’t live under a bridge.”
“This one does!”

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

joylessdivision posted:

The "SLAM EVIL" ads, which I saw a billion of in the back of comics at the time, were truly some 90's advertising lol.

I think I'll do a triple feature of The Rocketeer (never seen it), The Shadow (I loved this movie so much in 1995 I dressed up as the Shadow for halloween that year) and The Phantom this weekend. Just melt my brain with 90's pulp movies.

Don't forget Dick Tracy.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Don't forget Dick Tracy.

I believe they put that on the poster for the movie.

Didn't work :(

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Phantom specifically and rather consistently takes place in a fictional African country

Right, I understand that of the comic, but the movie was definitely somewhere in Southeast Asia, and the country is “Bengalla,” which sounds suspiciously like Bengal, the region of India. It’s clear that the cultural specificity of where it’s located isn’t that relevant beyond its wildness or foreign-ness viewed through some colonial lens.

You could say similar things about Wakanda, but at least that is necessarily placed in Africa, centered on an African character, and imbued with a lot of specifics regarding Wakanda’s culture, history, or language. The Phantom being a white savior is merely the most obvious and glaring problem with the premise.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The same guy also created mandrake the magician, right? Which also has a sidekick character who is kinda African but also indigenous somewhere without specifying where he's from

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The same guy also created mandrake the magician, right? Which also has a sidekick character who is kinda African but also indigenous somewhere without specifying where he's from

He's a prince of a neighbouring country to Bangalla and was best man at the Phantom's wedding iirc.

Mandrake and Lothar are still canon too, retired from heroics last I heard.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
the phantom shot swedish prime minister Olof Palme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007