Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Bet belge has a plastic calendar the little cone of chips eating freak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Bape Culture posted:

Bet belge has a plastic calendar the little cone of chips eating freak

Mayonnaise behind every window

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

TheRat posted:

Sweet baby jesus

Yes is really is that bad

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

EC10 posted:

except wenger's teams actually always outclassed their non-top 4 opponents. arteta absolutely does not

Uhh, there were years where draws and losses to lovely low and mid table sides meant the difference in league standings for Arsene's teams. Parking the bus and "getting stuck in," used to be a formula to get a draw or even a rare win against some of Arsene's teams for Bolton, Blackburn, and the like. Arsenal since the move to the Emirates has never consistently outclassed anyone.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Vinestalk posted:

Uhh, there were years where draws and losses to lovely low and mid table sides meant the difference in league standings for Arsene's teams. Parking the bus and "getting stuck in," used to be a formula to get a draw or even a rare win against some of Arsene's teams for Bolton, Blackburn, and the like. Arsenal since the move to the Emirates has never consistently outclassed anyone.

Every team screws up a bit. Arsenal aren't the only aspirational side to buckle against highly physical sides. For a while, though, I thought Wenger's Arsenal were much better about putting away lower-ranked clubs than, say, Benitez-era Liverpool.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I don't disagree that teams have slips, but look at the 06-07 season for Arsenal. Did well against the top 4. Beat United home and away, trading wins with Liverpool, and draws against Chelsea. Then you look who they lost to and it's West Ham twice, Fulham, Sheffield, City when they were poo poo and loads of dropped points from draws. That's some of the years I remember, where all pundits would talk about was Arsenal having no Plan B and any organized squad could get a result if they could soak pressure.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bape Culture posted:

How the fuxk did they spend 500m lol

not very carefully

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Eric Cantonese posted:

Richarlison was back, but that guy is always inconsistent
He is also a braindead idiot. And a twat.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Vinestalk posted:

Uhh, there were years where draws and losses to lovely low and mid table sides meant the difference in league standings for Arsene's teams. Parking the bus and "getting stuck in," used to be a formula to get a draw or even a rare win against some of Arsene's teams for Bolton, Blackburn, and the like.

UHHHHH except that was a popular narrative that was not backed up at all by actual results. big sam had a horrible record against wenger

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

First Kanu against Sheffield United, and now this (perfectly legal goal)

A cheat club who were bad against good teams and also bad teams and also in Europe, and, hell, I'm glad

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I don't know, man. Look at my earlier post about the 06-07 season, then look at the following season where the team was cruising at first until they drew with Birmingham, Aston Villa (when they were decent), Wigan, and Middlesbrough. Dropped as many points to a relegated team as they did to Liverpool that year. Or 08-09? Take a look at the results that year and tell me again that the narrative that parking the bud didn't work against Arsene.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Vinestalk posted:

I don't know, man. Look at my earlier post about the 06-07 season, then look at the following season where the team was cruising at first until they drew with Birmingham, Aston Villa (when they were decent), Wigan, and Middlesbrough. Dropped as many points to a relegated team as they did to Liverpool that year. Or 08-09? Take a look at the results that year and tell me again that the narrative that parking the bud didn't work against Arsene.

i feel you but you may be falling victim to the thing fans of clubs do where they think they should win every game and remember the losses extra vividly. those benitez sides that just lost out to man utd did this too. so did pretty much every team thats finished 2nd-3rd and just narrowly lost out on the title in the last five years or so since leicester's title (when arsenal did that)

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
It's not about winning every game, it's who they lost to. Arsenal did well against top 4 teams in those years. I showed the results. Any team that walked out onto the field and thought they could play an open game against Wenger was asking for a loss. But a team that just wanted to defend, even if they were fighting to get out of relegation, could get a point off Arsenal. That's how it was before the early 2010s.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1466534431573827590

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

I think that was inevitable sooner or later, as coaching staff he's not likely to be kept on through two new managers, and there are likely opportunities out there for him

Would be nice if he can piggyback the last few games into a management role somewhere, he seems to have been well regarded by the players

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Vinestalk posted:

I miss Wenger's long, whiny press conferences about how teams were unwilling to take the Washington Generals role and instead actually defended competently against them.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

bewbies posted:

everton was dire yesterday. I don't know why, but it was bad. normally they're a tough opponent for liverpool no matter who is playing or managing.

i dont follow them closely enough to dissect the problem, but based on that game, it is something pretty significant

we should have ran them over last year but whoever the official was that day allowed insane kung fu moves for no reason and half the team got destroyed. i was especially happy yesterday when the left foot brigade got a bit of revenge. they even boo'd vvd for having the audacity to get injured lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
That was fast lol

https://twitter.com/ManUnitedZone_/status/1466541592643260417?t=ADZ4uUlbgt7-LnRuNg0lug&s=19

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Maybe one day this season one of your club’s former players can talk about a win.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
https://theathletic.com/news/ralf-rangnick-admits-he-might-recommend-to-united-he-stays-on-as-manager-past-interim-role/EwjM9DTunsFp/

quote:

Ralf Rangnick admits he might recommend to United he stays on as manager past interim role
Ralf Rangnick has suggested he could recommend to Manchester United that he stays on as manager past his interim role.

Rangnick, 63, was named as United interim manager earlier this week. He will hold that role until the end of the season, at which stage he has agreed a two-year consultancy role with the Old Trafford side.

The plan for United is to then appoint a permanent replacement for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who left last month.

However, Rangnick said he could suggest United keep him on for longer if they ask for his opinion.

He said: "The people with whom I've spoken with, they have been very clear that it is a six-month role.

"We have never spoken about what will happen in the summer. If they will speak about me with that, we will see.

"If they ask me about my opinion, I might make the same recommendation that I did at RB Leipzig twice, that it might be better to work with me for one year."

Rangnick will take charge of United for the first time on Sunday when they face Crystal Palace.

Nice work if you can get it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Makes sense really. I'd probably do the same!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Shrapnig posted:

Maybe one day this season one of your club’s former players can talk about a win.

Technically Wijnaldium can do that...

Oh lol you just meant winning a game.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

He bought them some bad players too but this Steve Walsh quote is still funny:

"While I was at Everton, I offered them Andrew Robertson and Harry Maguire deals, when they were at Hull, and it was worth £20 million for the pair. Everton wouldn't take them.

"I had a deal done for Jonny Evans too before he came to Leicester, but again they wouldn't take him.

"Erling Haaland, the striker with Salzburg, I had him and his dad at the club with a deal done for €4 million. The club wouldn't back me."

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Brendan Rodgers posted:

He bought them some bad players too but this Steve Walsh quote is still funny:

"While I was at Everton, I offered them Andrew Robertson and Harry Maguire deals, when they were at Hull, and it was worth £20 million for the pair. Everton wouldn't take them.

"I had a deal done for Jonny Evans too before he came to Leicester, but again they wouldn't take him.

"Erling Haaland, the striker with Salzburg, I had him and his dad at the club with a deal done for €4 million. The club wouldn't back me."

STDH.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
Happy December: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3986830