Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Starsfan posted:

oh yeah I remember that lol.. who was that dude? One of the highlights of hockey twitter throughout the years for sure.

Matt Pfeffer. He worked for the Preds after that but he moved to focusing on soccer three or four years ago. He's with the Colorado Rapids of the MLS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
So the San Jose Sharks have been playing semi-decent hockey for the first quarter of the season and now find themselves in a wild card spot and a not-so-bad team with much improved goaltending from Aiden Hill and James Reimer. They have the Kane situation to deal with, and I hope they trade the fucker away, but I don't know if any team will take him even with the Sharks offering to pay half of his salary. So, is he just going to play in the AHL? Overall, I like how the Sharks have been going about their business, and if they continue playing this way, I could see them sneaking into the playoffs, but that's a long way off.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
https://twitter.com/HabsEOTP/status/1466807364976324610?t=dfAKJjs-3_V1JwF9YLbyYw&s=19

Sure why not? Embrace the tank.

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County
Seemed logical for Kane to play in the AHL for a bit to give him a chance to improve his trade value and give the Sharks more time to seek a trade or defer a final decision on him, but in his recent interview (and court appearance) Kane suggested he's going to get traded sooner rather than later. It's either that, or they stash him in the AHL or pay him to sit at home and buy him out over the summer. There's no chance he suits up for the Sharks ever again.

The Sharks somehow found a strong defensive identity, and Dahlen has got some incredible chemistry with Couture and Meier, but yeah it's still pretty early. They've only played a single (??) game against a divisional rival so far. Need to see if the Sharks can hang with the other California teams if they want to take a playoff spot away from them. Sharks have a decent PP but no ability to draw penalties (although that won't be a problem in the playoffs when penalties don't exist anyways).

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

trilljester posted:

So the San Jose Sharks have been playing semi-decent hockey for the first quarter of the season and now find themselves in a wild card spot and a not-so-bad team with much improved goaltending from Aiden Hill and James Reimer. They have the Kane situation to deal with, and I hope they trade the fucker away, but I don't know if any team will take him even with the Sharks offering to pay half of his salary. So, is he just going to play in the AHL? Overall, I like how the Sharks have been going about their business, and if they continue playing this way, I could see them sneaking into the playoffs, but that's a long way off.

As a non-fan, it's a shame because it was going to be interesting seeing where Hertl went at the deadline, but I imagine he's staying put now.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Keith Mars posted:

Seemed logical for Kane to play in the AHL for a bit to give him a chance to improve his trade value and give the Sharks more time to seek a trade or defer a final decision on him, but in his recent interview (and court appearance) Kane suggested he's going to get traded sooner rather than later. It's either that, or they stash him in the AHL or pay him to sit at home and buy him out over the summer. There's no chance he suits up for the Sharks ever again.

The Sharks somehow found a strong defensive identity, and Dahlen has got some incredible chemistry with Couture and Meier, but yeah it's still pretty early. They've only played a single (??) game against a divisional rival so far. Need to see if the Sharks can hang with the other California teams if they want to take a playoff spot away from them. Sharks have a decent PP but no ability to draw penalties (although that won't be a problem in the playoffs when penalties don't exist anyways).

How the hell is Reimer rocking a 935? 14 isn't a huge sample size but drat, wasn't expecting that stat line from any sj goalie this year.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

As a non-fan, it's a shame because it was going to be interesting seeing where Hertl went at the deadline, but I imagine he's staying put now.

I wouldn’t bet on that yet. SJ has been fun to watch them try to frustrate other teams, but I think they may end up outside the playoffs still. You have Vegas and Winnipeg on the outside but only by a couple points. A bad string of games in the division and they could be outside and trying to make up 6 points to get back in. Anaheim looks like they’ll be the surprise this season in the Pacific and if Vegas gets healthy and has a healthy ish Eichel it can quickly turn the tables. I do think the West will have one team from each division in the wild card, but I’d expect Dallas and Nashville to be fighting for it.

Quarter through the season I’d put it Min, Col, StL in the spots and Edm, Cal, VGK in the Pacific. I’ve been watching a lot of the late games and McDri will carry them to the playoffs, but not get them past the 2nd round.

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

How the hell is Reimer rocking a 935? 14 isn't a huge sample size but drat, wasn't expecting that stat line from any sj goalie this year.

Sharks are limiting shots and quality scoring chances very well this season. Reimer isn't often asked to make crazy rear end saves (SJS is 8th in high danger goals against and 12th in HD chances against, according to Natural Stat Trick), but yeah it's insane how often it feels like he chugs along steadily and then ends the game with like one goal against. Sharks also have the 2nd best PK% in the NHL right now at 88.1%, and they don't take too many penalties in the first place (lol no Kane on the roster). But yeah Reimer himself is consistently playing some career-year hockey. He said he tweaked his game over the summer but I put no stock into that because Martin Jones said that poo poo every offseason for years.

Burns' and Karlsson's defensive play has improved where they simply get hemmed in the zone occasionally instead of making brutal misplays for 2v1s and breakaways against, so that's nice.

WRT Hertl, honestly part of the issue is I'm not so sure how eager Doug Wilson is to give him a big contract. He's earned it, yes, but SJS' cap situation is so brutally hosed through the 2nd half of this decade that I'm just not sure the room is there, particularly if Kane is bought out or has salary retained. It's my understanding DW hasn't even made an offer, and that's very unlike him, he usually locks up guys nice and early (to monstrous deals) well before they approach UFA. Feels like when he let Marleau then Pavelski walk when he knew he couldn't meet their asks.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm glad that Reimer's having a great start but also that he crumbled against the Leafs (his only game where he has a sv% below .890).

Campbell, similarly, has only two games this season below .900. That's nuts. Markstrom's not far off in season sv% but has 6 games below .900.

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
He was pulled that game yeah, but I remember thinking it wasn't even his fault -- first goal was a Nylander breakaway on a brutal Karlsson-Middleton-Forward missed exchange, second was a Wayne Simmons' tip, third goal he probably should've swallowed the point shot (even through traffic) but the Leafs outnumbered the Sharks 2v1 down low on the rebound, and the fourth was a ridiculous Leafs power play where they were having their way with the Sharks and it ended with Tavares waltzing freely through the crease with a rebounded puck.

But yeah it's games like that and blowout losses to better teams like the Avs, Blues, Caps, going down 3-0 in the first period vs the Bruins, etc. where you can see the Sharks just aren't competitive with elite teams and they'll likely end up with close to a .500 record. It's just a matter of which California team (and the Kraken) can take enough points off each other to get the last playoff spot.

Final note on the Sharks, Timo Meier is a f****** monster and he's absolutely playing up to his point totals right now.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

This is good for montreal but it's also kinda funny that a new FO guy going "We're going to start trying to get better. We are going to hire some people to determine if players are good, instead of just guessing." is still news.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm beginning to think there might be something to the half-joking suggestions that goalies have once again developed a way to cheat with their equipment, tbh

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Chudfucker Deangelo probably spread COVID to the caps. gently caress that guy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

fisting by many posted:

This is good for montreal but it's also kinda funny that a new FO guy going "We're going to start trying to get better. We are going to hire some people to determine if players are good, instead of just guessing." is still news.

It's like if an airline waited 125 years to buy planes.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
I guess as baseball has Tommy John surgeries now hockey has Jack Eichel surgeries.
https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1466842321769615363?t=-V4ogcJaO47lLff5myyf7g&s=19

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
My brain processed the thread title "Five for Biting" as "Fire ___ Benning" and I got reallllllllll excited for about a second and now I'm sad.

And throwing in my two cents: Lafreniere was definitely touted as a generational talent, though an increment below Crosby/McDavid hype. Dahlin wasn't as hyped, but it's harder to be when it comes to d-men. I remember Hedman had hype coming in, but it's just tougher when they take longer to develop.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mike Works posted:

My brain processed the thread title "Five for Biting" as "Fire ___ Benning" and I got reallllllllll excited for about a second and now I'm sad.

And throwing in my two cents: Lafreniere was definitely touted as a generational talent, though an increment below Crosby/McDavid hype.

So, like, Tavares/Stamkos/MacKinnon level?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Wasn't Tavares thought of to be generational? Or did the shine start coming off as he got older? I guess it was because he never built on the 72 goals in 67 games at 16.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I don't remember him as being in the Crosby/McDavid class of hype but I pay very little attention to amateur prospects.

I guess another way to put it is that the only hockey players I had ever heard of more than 6 months before they were drafted were Lecavalier, Crosby, and McDavid. Not saying that's necessarily indicative of anything at all though.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Pronman does a Best draft prospects of the last 5 years where he slots everyone in based on pre-draft rankings.

https://theathletic.com/1797661/202..._shared_article

Between the 2016 (Matthews) and 2020 (Laf), Lafreniere was 4th but in the same tier as Laine, Matthews and Dahlin and just ahead of J. Hughes. Kakko was a tier below. Even if you disagree with his rankings, it gives a good idea of how guys were viewed at the time.

Looking back at his 2019 rankings, McDavid was his own tier above everyone and Eichel would have been in the same group.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't remember him as being in the Crosby/McDavid class of hype but I pay very little attention to amateur prospects.

I guess another way to put it is that the only hockey players I had ever heard of more than 6 months before they were drafted were Lecavalier, Crosby, and McDavid. Not saying that's necessarily indicative of anything at all though.

Tavares was definitely hyped as a can’t miss megastar and anointed #1 Overall years before the draft. He was probably the most hyped guy between Crosby and McDavid (though I don’t think anyone ever had him that high) with being the first guy to get OHL exceptional status.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/CBCToronto/status/1466933914316984320?t=qUsSdrcwZEo_Hfpfw4e8Ig&s=19

Random NBA backup center/friend of John Bolton has some cool hockey opinions you should take seriously

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
china does suck though

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Isentropy posted:

https://twitter.com/CBCToronto/status/1466933914316984320?t=qUsSdrcwZEo_Hfpfw4e8Ig&s=19

Random NBA backup center/friend of John Bolton has some cool hockey opinions you should take seriously

lmao

https://twitter.com/Nunes57Paul/status/1466936008302280710

:canada: they forgot...

(I'm guessing 99.9% of non-Canadians here will have no idea what that's about and the remaining 0.1% read CanPol for some reason).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I also urge Crosby to boycott the Olympics because he has played unprecedentedly bad so far this year and I want him to rest. :( I'm really afraid his wrist is hosed.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

I also urge Crosby to boycott the Olympics because he has played unprecedentedly bad so far this year and I want him to rest. :( I'm really afraid his wrist is hosed.

I’m torn between “i want him to get another golden goal” and “he has nothing to prove now so he can take it easy”

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Shesterkin had to be helped off the ice after trying to make a split save with no contact. Rangers are in deep poo poo if he’s out long term.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

bewbies posted:

china does suck though

So does the US what's your point

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
E: nvm, i was thinking of Seguin.
But i still remember hearing a ton about Tavares

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jovial Cow posted:

Shesterkin had to be helped off the ice after trying to make a split save with no contact. Rangers are in deep poo poo if he’s out long term.

Don't worry, it's definitely not a major groin injury, they're just saying that because the last 96 times a goalie got injured in that exact way it was a major groin injury

:siiiiiiiiiiiigh:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

So does the US what's your point

protesting china's ongoing human rights abuses is a worthwhile thing to do

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

bewbies posted:

Can you protest it by scoring 20 goals on their garbage hockey team?

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
On MSG they just mentioned the first words of Gallant’s presser was it’s not as bad as it looked so fingers crossed that’s true.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

bewbies posted:

Cool and again I will ask...how about the US?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Cool and again I will ask...how about the US?

I guess if you think US human rights abuses are comparable you should start encouraging the international community to acknowledge it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

jfc do you guys need a loving link to cspam, here you go, you're welcome

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
How about we hold off on turning the NHL December thread into a QCS thread about exactly who’s doing genocide denial this time, please

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Other options for intellectual debate include the yahoo fantasy Bertuzzi player page. Well reasoned and respectful discussion!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
they're not going to boycott the olympics but at this rate they're not going to happen anyway, because of covid

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Jovial Cow posted:

On MSG they just mentioned the first words of Gallant’s presser was it’s not as bad as it looked so fingers crossed that’s true.

Yeah they say doesn’t look serious or long term
I feel like this happened to him last year too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
PK slew footed a guy again tonight, no penalty on the play lmao