Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Looks like the rear most arm locks failed. On my lift, once they lift of the ground a gear engages and they will not move.

Also, this is 100% a fear of mine. Just a single misjudgment of balance and this happens. I bought two pole jacks, one for front/rear just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

the spyder posted:

Looks like the rear most arm locks failed. On my lift, once they lift of the ground a gear engages and they will not move.

Also, this is 100% a fear of mine. Just a single misjudgment of balance and this happens. I bought two pole jacks, one for front/rear just in case.

The rear arm swing locks failed well after the balance was compromised here. Having seen the splines on the studs of a fair few swing locks this doesn't really bother me, as the forces those locks were subjected to aren't what the engineers had in mind or within range of the typical use case.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah that looks to me like he forgot to put a pole under the back after pulling the engine out, or didn't put it on the lift planning for how much that was going to change the center of mass.

It's absolutely a fear of mine, though the ever present "hmm, this concrete floor was poured in the 50s or 60s and has cracks in it, will today be the day it splits around the mounting studs and the lift and truck tip over on me?" Dread overrides it, which is why I typically don't even think about going under a vehicle over 3500lbs (half the lift rating) on my lift unless it's got jackstands under the lift arms, and shake test everything before I consider it even on light vehicles.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

slidebite posted:

I love how the girlfriend hardly seems fazed. Kinda looks at the guy on the jack like, well?

https://i.imgur.com/iIthDlx.mp4

Same thing happened to me while I had the engine out of my C6. I unbolted the front subframe to make installing the engine a little easier as it tucks under the cowl. Forgetting that the transmission in the back was heavy enough to make it tip over backwards.

Fortunately I was only on jackstands (placed on the jacking points), and the weight imbalance wasn't so bad - I sat on the core support and phoned my dad to come over and throw a jack under the transmission!

In hindsight it makes sense since the car is made of plastic and all the weight is in the drivetrain.

If you're ever working on one of these on a lift, throw a transmission jack under the transmission! (or engine)

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 3, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

NoWake posted:

yup, not much else to do at this point but go home for the rest day/week/career

Pretty much.
I like to assume the boss is there in the office and he’s going in to resign.

kastein posted:

Yeah that looks to me like he forgot to put a pole under the back after pulling the engine out, or didn't put it on the lift planning for how much that was going to change the center of mass.

Biggest problem with the Corvettes is that they only have the 4 designated lift points, so only thing to do would have been to use a lift or stand under the rear once it was up.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My coworker just shared this picture of a failed "weld" on his two post lift. This is on a strap that helps the end resist tr moment load.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TIG welders are expensive, just give everybody hot glue guns.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
that was structural paint

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

StormDrain posted:

My coworker just shared this picture of a failed "weld" on his two post lift. This is on a strap that helps the end resist tr moment load.

Somebody flip the photo for the true horror.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Omg I am dying. I just added eyebrows and sent it back to him.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

StormDrain posted:

Well that's loving horrifying

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

Well that's loving horrifying

Ya here's some more color.

He has had the lift for a while. 10k rated. Uses it for a side by side and cars. He put a dually Super duty on it which scaled around 8500lbs on it and this thing gave way. So the straps aren't needed until they are and they are really needed. Warranty would only replace the front arms and he told them to gently caress themselves and he tore down and rewelded the ones on the rear. Of course now can he trust anything to be welded right?

I don't recall the brand but its not a Bendpak or Rotary.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Its a bend something alright.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Welcome to Muppet Garage! My assistant Beaker here will now demonstrate our new no-strap lift system!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

StormDrain posted:

He has had the lift for a while. 10k rated. Uses it for a side by side and cars. He put a dually Super duty on it which scaled around 8500lbs on it and this thing gave way. So the straps aren't needed until they are and they are really needed. Warranty would only replace the front arms and he told them to gently caress themselves and he tore down and rewelded the ones on the rear. Of course now can he trust anything to be welded right?

I would bet Atlas. Or anything sold by Greg Smith Equipment. I'll never cheap out on a lift after watching them fail under static load testing.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I'd argue a reason enough not to use "jerry rig" is that the term doesn't make sense. Jerry rigging and German engineering feel orthogonal. I understand jerry rigging as a field repair that does the necessary, whereas German engineering is a too complicated solution that fails in the field. The nazis lost because they didn't jerry rig enough.

NoWake posted:

yup, not much else to do at this point but go home for the rest day/week/career

How does the insurance payment compare against the expense of finding, hiring and training a new employee. I would think someone who has hosed up this bad to be highly sought after in the work force, there's at least one gently caress up he won't commit again.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I thought "Jerry Rig" as a term came from the Allies finding equipment at the tail end of WWII when that storied German engineering had to be bodged up to keep running in the face of critical POL/parts/expertise shortages.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Memento posted:

I thought "Jerry Rig" as a term came from the Allies finding equipment at the tail end of WWII when that storied German engineering had to be bodged up to keep running in the face of critical POL/parts/expertise shortages.

Yeah as far as I know "jerry rigging" is the term used for an american botching german equipment to make it work.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

SEKCobra posted:

Yeah as far as I know "jerry rigging" is the term used for an american botching german equipment to make it work.

I don't think so. One of the biggest issues facing Germany once the tide swung the other way was a lack of spares. The factories were cranking out tanks and new projects, but not manufacturing any spare parts. Combined with the high level of engineering complexity in the vehicles (interleaved road wheels, transmissions that needed the turret removed to change, etc), this led to a lot of Panthers, tigers, and the like being out of service for broken parts over battle damage. The soldiers would try and fix them with whatever they had available, leading to the phrase.

If you want to learn about tanks, watch "The Chieftain" and "The Tank Museum" on YouTube.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 4, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

the spyder posted:

I would bet Atlas. Or anything sold by Greg Smith Equipment. I'll never cheap out on a lift after watching them fail under static load testing.

Looks like this: http://www.championautolift.com/economy-two-posts.html

Evidently these guys went to black to copy Bendpak's recent moves.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

So as an aspiring welder, what went wrong here? What kind of welding is this? How is it even possible to lay down that large bead with so little penetration?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

ryanrs posted:

So as an aspiring welder, what went wrong here? What kind of welding is this? How is it even possible to lay down that large bead with so little penetration?

Not being a pro myself my guess is they spent too much time holding the gun or stick on the piece that the weld is stuck to and not the other.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's pretty easy to do that with mig and have it look nice but peel right off especially if you don't prep the material. It looks like they didn't remove the mill scale and treated it like a glue gun rather than a mig welder, you can't just squirt metal in there and hope it sticks.

https://youtu.be/lSNXTgmNbxk

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Does it also factor in that the bigger piece has more thermal mass and, uh, heatsinking ability?

(Video looks very relevant but I'm not in a position to watch it right now)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's completely possible to make a strong, full-penetration weld on a thick chunk of structural steel, or lay a booger on top that looks like a weld but is barely fused to the base metal and peels off under any load. It's all in the technique.

Doing a thick weld properly means you have to do stuff like clean the area, preheat the parts, and work slowly, and all of those things take time and cost money!

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
May also want to heat treat it after, depending your application
Had a former boss who didn't believe in heat treating, which is fine if you're willing to reweld the same corner on a vibrating bin every month.

sharkytm posted:

I don't think so. One of the biggest issues facing Germany once the tide swung the other way was a lack of spares. The factories were cranking out tanks and new projects, but not manufacturing any spare parts. Combined with the high level of engineering complexity in the vehicles (interleaved road wheels, transmissions that needed the turret removed to change, etc), this led to a lot of Panthers, tigers, and the like being out of service for broken parts over battle damage. The soldiers would try and fix them with whatever they had available, leading to the phrase.

If you want to learn about tanks, watch "The Chieftain" and "The Tank Museum" on YouTube.

I'm addition, Germans tended to make rolling modifications to parts that made part interchangeability uncertain between even the same models of equipment, on top of dubious QC and poor manufacturing processes. It was apparently not uncommon for maintenance crews to have to modify a replacement part to be able to use it as a replacement for a nominally identical part.

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 5, 2021

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Reading about how WW2 Germany used prisoners as labor, I'm not surprised that quality may have been sketchy. If I was Jewish prisoner making parts for Messerschmitts or Panther tanks or V2 rockets, I'd probably turn a blind eye to if the parts were in spec or not.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Dr.Smasher posted:

Reading about how WW2 Germany used prisoners as labor, I'm not surprised that quality may have been sketchy. If I was Jewish prisoner making parts for Messerschmitts or Panther tanks or V2 rockets, I'd probably turn a blind eye to if the parts were in spec or not.

There's some stories of German shells not exploding and when examined, they found a note from a forced laborer saying "this is all I can do for you"

https://hushkit.net/2020/04/17/the-b-17-miracle-defying-hitler-with-sabotage/

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

One of the big advantages the US had during WW2 was that you by and large managed to make actually interchangeable parts that you could both assemble on actual assembly lines and trivially replace.

Meanwhile, German production was still surprisingly artisanal; every single tank was meticulously assembled in place from parts that were adjusted to fit each other.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 5, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The US also had the advantage that the tank factories weren't being bombed every day.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Cojawfee posted:

The US also had the advantage that the tank factories weren't being bombed every day.

Not to mention the interference from Hitler.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

sharkytm posted:

Not to mention the interference from Hitler.

https://www.csparks.com/watchmaking/CycloidalGears/RichardThoen.xhtml

quote:

The "big wheels" at (Picatinny Arsenal) were adamant and would not permit deviations from the drawings of that era, 1940. They maintained that these gears had been made before so why couldn't Kodak make them? Of course they had, with non-generating milling cutters. We had a war to win and wanted to mass produce these items (with conventional generating cutters) . ... Millions of dollars could have been saved and much better fuses been made if it had not been for the asinine, arbitrary decisions of those who didn't know the "score."

At one time I spent 300 hours making enlarged metal templates of the diverse gears in the FM45 train . ...My tooth form was completely interchangeable with... the existing cycloid. Came the day when the fuse Committee met at Kodak for a regional conference, which occurred bimonthly. They came to my department -- the whole galaxy of "brains." I showed them my templates mounted on a big board about 5 x 10 feet. ...The brown plastic templates were cycloids and the steel ones involute. They toyed with these templates for a few minutes, ...and then walked away nonchalantly. My heart sank. George Ensign, Master Mechanic at Elgin National Watch, stayed behind ... and really got into the problem. ...When he left he said, "Lou, I am sorry for you, but what can you do with those S.O.B.'s? They might as well be working for Hitler."

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Platystemon posted:

https://www.csparks.com/watchmaking/CycloidalGears/RichardThoen.xhtml

quote:

The "big wheels" at (Picatinny Arsenal) were adamant and would not permit deviations from the drawings of that era, 1940. They maintained that these gears had been made before so why couldn't Kodak make them? Of course they had, with non-generating milling cutters. We had a war to win and wanted to mass produce these items (with conventional generating cutters) . ... Millions of dollars could have been saved and much better fuses been made if it had not been for the asinine, arbitrary decisions of those who didn't know the "score."

At one time I spent 300 hours making enlarged metal templates of the diverse gears in the FM45 train . ...My tooth form was completely interchangeable with... the existing cycloid. Came the day when the fuse Committee met at Kodak for a regional conference, which occurred bimonthly. They came to my department -- the whole galaxy of "brains." I showed them my templates mounted on a big board about 5 x 10 feet. ...The brown plastic templates were cycloids and the steel ones involute. They toyed with these templates for a few minutes, ...and then walked away nonchalantly. My heart sank. George Ensign, Master Mechanic at Elgin National Watch, stayed behind ... and really got into the problem. ...When he left he said, "Lou, I am sorry for you, but what can you do with those S.O.B.'s? They might as well be working for Hitler."

Sounds like the hidebound bureaucracy of DoD

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Cojawfee posted:

Absolutely, but being able to assemble a working tank from any random selection of spares without much adjustment would presumably also have been a huge benefit to the guys who were being bombed.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Sounds like the hidebound bureaucracy of DoD

At least the War Department in those days could count. And (mostly) wasn't swayed by marketing nonsense.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Bureau of Ordinance, though…

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Could someone explain what the difference is between a "generating" and "non-generating" cutter? I'm having trouble googling.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Could someone explain what the difference is between a "generating" and "non-generating" cutter? I'm having trouble googling.

Gear generating cutters have the spurving bearing in line with the panametric fam to avoid side-fumbling and reduce sinusoidal deplaneration.

Real answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0XSsa79Y1w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

StormDrain posted:

StormDrain posted:

This, exactly. I'd definitely invest in some lift-height jack stands if I didn't chuck the whole thing.

Powershift posted:

Gear generating cutters have the spurving bearing in line with the panametric fam to avoid side-fumbling and reduce sinusoidal deplaneration.

God dammit, it's not a retro-turbo encabulator.

The basic problem, as I understand it, in the gear scenario above is that cycloidal gears are more difficult to make, and less tolerant of changes in clearances, primarily any change in spacing between the gears. Involute gears are more fault-tolerant, and easier to machine.
https://mechanicalengineering.blog/comparison-between-involute-and-cycloidal-tooth-profiles/

I just had my own mechanical failure. Feast your eyes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUVGwz4CYGo
(sound on, or it's not going to be interesting.)

One of those rollers was damned near square...