Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I get "Crypto.com Visa Card. It's crypto in a metal card." every other video and its maddening. I don't really mind ads, but it's just the same two on repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Newpipe also has nice features beyond adblocking, like the ability to download videos or to play them in the background (nice for music).

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Thanks for all the ad-less YouTube suggestions - the ads there have been getting more and more intrusive and longer, some are entire music videos. If you're listening to yt in the background, it's a major irritation to have to walk over and click "skip ad" every few minutes. I figure yt is trying to encourage premium subscriptions

In a different topic, what are people experiences with handwriting / note taking apps? A few people at my work use the Samsung notes app, and some friends with iPads swear by the iOS equivalent. But is it actually easy to scribble notes and save them in a way they can be easily found again?

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Appoda posted:

What's a decent app for astronomical events, like forecasts for meteor showers, lunar eclipses, etc? Preferably something like a notification the week before or the night of, or something like that. Alternatively, I guess I could just sign up for text/email notifications, if there's a good group out there that doesn't spam with unnecessary bullshit.

Relatedly, looking for a new weather app. Tried using Today Weather for a while after Dark Sky went to Apple, but eh. Not crazy about it. It's fine, though the status bar will sometimes show the wrong temp until I open the app.

The New York Times publishes a calendar feed of that sort of thing if you use Google calendar.

e. The feed if the other link is paywalled.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

nonathlon posted:

Thanks for all the ad-less YouTube suggestions - the ads there have been getting more and more intrusive and longer, some are entire music videos. If you're listening to yt in the background, it's a major irritation to have to walk over and click "skip ad" every few minutes. I figure yt is trying to encourage premium subscriptions

I listen to newsy videos while in the shower and sometimes I just get to hear a three minute ad before a five minute video cause I ain't hoping out to press skip.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

nonathlon posted:

In a different topic, what are people experiences with handwriting / note taking apps? A few people at my work use the Samsung notes app, and some friends with iPads swear by the iOS equivalent. But is it actually easy to scribble notes and save them in a way they can be easily found again?

Ublock origin chrome extension works to block ads in a phone Chrome tab I'm pretty sure. Just run YouTube from Chrome, uninstall the YouTube app.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i just spend $15/month so me and 5 other people don't have to worry about youtube ads

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Unfortunately the sponsored content sections aren't blocked by YouTube premium.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Anyone else having issues with Nova Launcher after the Android 12 update? I'm on a Pixel 4 XL and I've been using Nova forever, but man since the update it is just so slow. At first I was just annoyed that it would randomly stop letting me go to the 'all open apps' screen after a while until I rebooted. I figured hey, I need to reboot my phone more often than never anyway, so I can deal. But man, it is just so sluggish now. It'll take about 5-10 seconds to register any of my button presses or to open an app. It was so bad I actually switched back to the default launcher and everything is so much snappier now. I was hoping that the devs were working on an update, but they released one the day before yesterday and it didn't fix anything for me.

It makes me sad because I love the customization with Nova (and I've even paid for the upgraded version) but I just can not use it until they get everything back up to snuff.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I had one brief issue with Nova Launcher about a week ago but one restart fixed it and it's been back to normal since.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The only issue I'm having, not sure if it's Nova, is that I'll get just my wallpaper with no icons when I swipe to home, they'll show up when I swipe a second time. Seems to happen most when I am using picture in picture with YouTube. It's happened less than a half dozen times. Otherwise, I don't detect any slowdowns.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Yes, Nova on Android 12 on pixel 3xl, there's a very noticable lag after returning to home screen before it will accept any input such as swiping to another screen or opening an app. I haven't tried rebooting yet, might as well.
My pixel 6 pro is supposed to arrive today (if FedEx isn't lying again), so I'll get to see if that's any better either.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Yes, Nova on Android 12 on pixel 3xl, there's a very noticable lag after returning to home screen before it will accept any input such as swiping to another screen or opening an app. I haven't tried rebooting yet, might as well.

Mines been doing that on my Pixel 2 with Android 11. Felt like it was still considering the animation of the app closing as ongoing and would take me back to that app if I tapped too fast.

Seems like a split second delay on my Pixel 4a with Android 12, but it doesn't open the app again. Guess I'm used to waiting a beat at this point, so I hadn't noticed.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

VelociBacon posted:

Ublock origin chrome extension works to block ads in a phone Chrome tab I'm pretty sure. Just run YouTube from Chrome, uninstall the YouTube app.
As far as I know it's not possible to use extensions in Chrome on Android at all.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Flipperwaldt posted:

As far as I know it's not possible to use extensions in Chrome on Android at all.

I have a Samsung phone, and Samsung Internet does allow addons including AdBlock. Also on my phone Youtube is a protected app, so I can't delete it entirely, just disable it.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Uthor posted:

I get "Crypto.com Visa Card. It's crypto in a metal card." every other video and its maddening. I don't really mind ads, but it's just the same two on repeat.

This is one of those ads that shows up for me often, and it triggers a minor existential crisis in me every time I see it... I guess I am just a boomer that is behind the times.. :ohdear:...

That actually makes me wonder, are these ads showing up for everyone? Or somehow we are just targetted? Sorry for the derail, but I was talking to my wife and she says that she rarely see these type of ads, so it got me thinking, why me though!? I am definitely not the target audience...

Anyway, back on topic, I don't think chrome on android can have extensions installed. Before I got my new phone, I had a galaxy s7, and I was reminded of that fact every time I hit a link that automatically fired up chrome instead of firefox... My browsing experience would slow to a crawl thanks to the ads...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

lethial posted:

That actually makes me wonder, are these ads showing up for everyone? Or somehow we are just targetted? Sorry for the derail, but I was talking to my wife and she says that she rarely see these type of ads, so it got me thinking, why me though!? I am definitely not the target audience...

I'm a nerd who reads SA. I follow gaming channels and science channels, for the most part. All the wrestling channels I follow don't seem to do anything for the algorithm (unless crypto currency is bing the the wrestling community???).

I'm pretty sure ad personalization is turned off, so it's ads targeting those videos.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

saintonan posted:

I have a Samsung phone, and Samsung Internet does allow addons including AdBlock. Also on my phone Youtube is a protected app, so I can't delete it entirely, just disable it.
Oh no, yeah, plenty of alternative options like that, Firefox with uBlock Origin for another option. Just not Chrome. It's not required to delete or even disable the YouTube app to use any of the replacement apps suggested earlier. You can just reset the 'open with' defaults on it and just not use the app for anything. Or use it alongside the other app, say if you want to do some things while logged in, but do you regular ad free viewing in NewPipe (where logging in isn't even possible).

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Uthor posted:

I'm a nerd who reads SA. I follow gaming channels and science channels, for the most part. All the wrestling channels I follow don't seem to do anything for the algorithm (unless crypto currency is bing the the wrestling community???).

I'm pretty sure ad personalization is turned off, so it's ads targeting those videos.

Err.... I too only follow gaming and science channels and have personalized ads turned off... (no wrestling for me)... I think it might be because of the gaming channels... :tinfoil:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

Oh no, yeah, plenty of alternative options like that, Firefox with uBlock Origin for another option. Just not Chrome. It's not required to delete or even disable the YouTube app to use any of the replacement apps suggested earlier. You can just reset the 'open with' defaults on it and just not use the app for anything. Or use it alongside the other app, say if you want to do some things while logged in, but do you regular ad free viewing in NewPipe (where logging in isn't even possible).

YouTube vanced has basically the same UI as the regular app (so you can login to your account), but it blocks adds, can also block sponsored content, can run video in the background. The only (IMO, I might have missed something) big thing you miss out versus Newpipe is that you can't download videos/audio.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'd like to get a notification/reminder for Google calendar appointments 15 minutes before they happen, is there some specific setting I have to activate for that to happen?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Incessant Excess posted:

I'd like to get a notification/reminder for Google calendar appointments 15 minutes before they happen, is there some specific setting I have to activate for that to happen?

Can't you edit them and click Add Notification?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Incessant Excess posted:

tap the 3 lines in the top left -> Settings -> Events -> Default notifications

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

butt dickus posted:

tap the 3 lines in the top left -> Settings -> Events -> Default notifications

Thank you very much!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
is there any app android, or web based or even just a local one you get from github, that gets you a good yt subscriptions page? something that you can sort by uploader or date
cause yt web's sub page is crap

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i got a free android tablet im replacing my 2011 ipad as a streaming head for my stereo. are there any android dj’ing apps that are wildly different from their ios counterparts? i like djay but it doesnt have an android release.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm looking for an app that will allow pushing files to an Android device from a computer over the network. I don't care if it's FTP, SMB, NFS, literally anything would work, I just want the ability to start a network share server on an android device, and upload files to it on one computer, then download them on another computer somewhere else. I realize this is a weird dumb request, but does anybody have any recommendations?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm looking for an app that will allow pushing files to an Android device from a computer over the network. I don't care if it's FTP, SMB, NFS, literally anything would work, I just want the ability to start a network share server on an android device, and upload files to it on one computer, then download them on another computer somewhere else. I realize this is a weird dumb request, but does anybody have any recommendations?

I don't think this is quite what you're looking for, but I use KDE Connect on my Linux desktop for this purpose. It makes sending files back and forth between my phone and computer super easy, as well as gives me my phone notifications on my desktop and lets me reply to texts.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Twerk from Home posted:

Not sure if this is the ideal solution but Solid Explorer can start an FTP server over the local network from your phone. And it's just a solid file explorer to boot though I think the built in file explorer is workable on most phones nowadays so.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pvt. Parts posted:

Not sure if this is the ideal solution but Solid Explorer can start an FTP server over the local network from your phone. And it's just a solid file explorer to boot though I think the built in file explorer is workable on most phones nowadays so.

Hey thats neato, didn't realize it could do that.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I recently got a new samsung android phone and now my beyondpod rewinds episodes every time I pause the playback for a bit and resume, what is causing this behavior? I found a setting for this in the app but it was already turned off, what is going on here?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I asked a while ago about Twitter and Facebook clients and got recommended to check F-Droid. I ended up settling on Frost to check Facebook and Twidere X for Twitter. Frost says it has paid features but I can't actually find any. Hopefully this helps anyone else looking for alternitive apps.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

wrt Spotify is there nothing in the way of some data you can export, or an API apps can interact with, that would achieve something like sorting or filtering my Liked Songs for those I've only played a few times (or whatever else you could do with such data, that's just the use case that occurred to me, revisiting stuff I liked with the intention of coming back to but forgot about)?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a good file explorer app on the Amazon app store? Solid Explorer which I normally use isn't available there.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

No idea what is or isn't on the Amazon store but it's trivial to sideload the Google Play Store on Amazon tablets these days, so you should be able to get Solid Explorer if you really want it

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I want to export all of my texts and media from Google Messages to my desktop so I can print a book of them, is there a consensus way to this that probably won't forward them all to eastern europe? I'm entirely open to paid solutions.

It was so easy with Windows Phone I could just download sms.xml from my onedrive backup and all done

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Nova Launcher Prime is on sale for a buck I think. Good app.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
So what's the best way to go get rid of ads with mobile browsing these days?

I'm not rooted, if that matters.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

the_lion posted:

So what's the best way to go get rid of ads with mobile browsing these days?

I'm not rooted, if that matters.

Firefox with ublock origin. Or a DNS service like nextdns.io.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
The mobile web these days is horrifying. Any time a link opens in an app and not a browser is a trip down memory lane to the early noughties.

Back in the XP days, I went to a news site on the work computer and I thought it had downloaded spyware or something. Turns out it was just the regular site with ads. Remember when toolbars existed almost entirely to block pop-ups? Christ.