Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

You're my only hope Obi Wan Ke-

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mirificus posted:

quote:

This isn't just another MMO, this may be the only game that can set an example to guide the entire industry.

Oh it's setting an example all right.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ratjaculation posted:

It was running unexpectedly. Thankfully, that has stopped.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Ratjaculation posted:

Hmm a lot of modern, early access games usually have a button send a error report to developers, wonder why not here?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

At its core, Star Citizen is a game about hope.

lol

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Zeniel posted:

Hmm a lot of modern, early access games usually have a button send a error report to developers, wonder why not here?

- Yeah so you know how you kept getting these bug reports? We fixed the glitch.

- Ah, so you got rid of the bugs?

- Hold on a second there professor... we "fixed the glitch". You won't get any bug reports anymore!

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
VERIFY :frogc00l:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Actually it turns out all these glitches and crashes were caused by unverified installations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mildly amused that when a friend first mentioned an ambitious new space sim he was supporting on Kickstarter he was single, but now is married with a kid in second grade.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Mildly amused that when a friend first mentioned an ambitious new space sim he was supporting on Kickstarter he was single, but now is married with a kid in second grade.

that poor, dumb, bastard

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So many people want so many different things from this and they all think they're the main character.

I can't wait for absolutely everyone to be disappointed if there's ever a final product.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

that poor, dumb, bastard

While being married does distract him from Star Citizen, it is every true supporter's duty to have an heir. We must make sure there will still be people to support the game after development stretches beyond the limits of a single lifespan.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I find it funny that these people are complaining that there just aren't any good video games anymore, and can't wrap their head around the fact that maybe they just don't enjoy gaming like they used to.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

There Bias Two posted:

I find it funny that these people are complaining that there just aren't any good video games anymore, and can't wrap their head around the fact that maybe they just don't enjoy gaming like they used to.

Am I so out of touch!? No, it's the video games who are wrong.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

a wife named chris and a son named robert

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

So how much is stocked away in a secret account that his wife doesn't know about so he can continue to support Crobert's visionary vision?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

There Bias Two posted:

There are genuinely issues with a lot of genres that have been thrown by the wayside for often arbitrary reasons, only some of which are being tentatively resurrected, but still, yeah.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Seth Pecksniff posted:

So how much is stocked away in a secret account that his wife doesn't know about so he can continue to support Crobert's visionary vision?

Sadly beyond initial kickstarter backing seems like he moved on :(

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There are genuinely issues with a lot of genres that have been thrown by the wayside for often arbitrary reasons, only some of which are being tentatively resurrected, but still, yeah.

This is true but I'd also argue that games have never been in ruder health. Digital distribution has allowed niche genres to be resurrected or even born in the last couple of decades and even objectively weird poo poo like Cruelty Squad can be a bonafide hit.

The shitizens moaning about the state of gaming are the same bores who moan about film and music not being good anymore, without having the vaguest clue of what they're talking about.

Edit: to be clear, Cruelty Squad is not poo poo, it's great, but it is weird poo poo

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

It's so dang weird how like five years ago talked with a like minded friend about SC and the expensive starships/feature creep/nothing released. Fast forward and nothing has changed except passing the half billion mark.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

:golfclap:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ilmucche posted:

I can't wait for absolutely everyone to be disappointed if there's ever a final product.

:same:

:getin:

lol they won't. They're SO loving delusional

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

There Bias Two posted:

Yeah they've probably just grown up and want the joy they had playing games when they were younger. I know I do.

I wonder what the average Star Citizen "user" age is.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah they've probably just grown up and want the joy they had playing games when they were younger. I know I do.

I wonder what the average Star Citizen "user" age is.

You need users for that

obithrawn
Apr 22, 2003

man who has hated every italian meal for a decade: i am going to spend my life savings so that a twitter chef may create the perfect pasta

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

You've been around long enough to know we have talked about all this at length. There are two camps:

Group 1. Those who bang on about 'Chris Roberts couldn't manage his way out of a wet paper bag!' - Scamcitizen, never gonna happen! You're all dupes! Of course they said 90 Days tops funding in 2014. We'd never have full planets to land on, we'd never be able to fly down to planets without a loading screen - yada yada yada. They are still making noise, they just come up with different noise each time the goals are reached and conveniently forget all the times they were proved wrong.

If someone could tell me how many scams have gone on for 10 years and only taken more and more as they begin to produce output I be interested. Which is it? Short term scam 90 Days tops! ...or 'Taking far too long!' Can't have both.

Group 2. Those of us who watch and pay attention - the response ranges from.. Yeah it's all coming but it will take a long time, don't expect it soon. To... it isn't taking any longer than any other massive open universe game at first person level (how could it - it's never been been done before) and they are making a single players game at the same time - and all the tools to make more iterations of that single player game, while expanding the multiplayer game universe. This is a monumental task of epic proportions, if it could be done in 5 minutes it wouldn't be worth all the effort would it?

The reason we had to go the crowdfunding route in the first place was because no-one, no-one at all, would even entertain making a game of this scope and magnitude. 9 years ago the gaming industry was very different - it was all Quad cores forever, 10% uplift in performance per year if you were lucky.... and swords and magic.

Then there's me.. and the things I've been banging on about for years. You asked, where will the money come from?

A. Squadron 42 - it has been paid for. All money raised after it releases goes toward expanding the game universe, not to repay anyone. By the time the hoopla has died down from Episode 1 and the subsequent additions to the PU that it brings (It's not just a few new moons and planets - there's detailed gameplay because Squadron 42 and Star Citizen exist in the same game universe as well as all the characters in it). They'll be more or less ready for Episode 2 by the time you have drawn breath. Episode 2 and 3 will be made back to back, so Episode 3 will take even less long to release than Episode 2. Squadron 42 will drive future sales of Star Citizen packages. Lot's of stories can be told in this game universe. They can license the engine out to other studios to make more games from it.

The whole point was to build an organisational structure that could build out the universe faster than the gamers could consume it, once it has been released.

B. Why do you think that Star Citizen game packages will stop selling? There will be new content additions for years to come even after an MVP release. Even without revenue from Squadron 42 people are growing up and getting jobs all the time. People who never thought of getting a PC might decide it's worth giving it a try. VR is coming. It is a mistake to think that the 'Whales' are bringing in the majority of the funding - they aren't, basic game package sales have always been the mainstay of funding. Just like those in group 1 above who said that CIG would never have in-game ship rental and sales for in-game currency because it would destroy the funding model. Well... we all know how that went eh?

C. Existing players will buy extra game packages. Why? Because each is a character slot, buying more slots allows them to live a different life.

D. The multiplayer modules. They can sell them separately, and my guess is the reason they have brought in other companies like Firestrike to work on them as side projects is because they have experience with game console ports. If Arena Commander, Star Marine, Theatres of War and any types of 'closed space' modules are released on console that will bring in revenue and drive sales of both Star Citizen and Squadron 42. Those who get 'Star Citizen Lite' may decide to go full bore.

E. Cosmetics. They can sell ship skins, clothes, ship decals, armours, hangar flair, cockpit decorations... you name it. There are plenty of things that will have no bearing on player progress. They also plan to sell UEC in limited amounts.

F. Franchising. Star Citizen/Squadron 42 branded products, product advertising,

G. My personal favourite possibility - In game entertainment. Live capture appearances, ticket only. $10 Ticket only Murder Mystery Weekend in some plush hotel on Cassel. They have made the game so that they can gate off any place they please. If they want to sell tickets for the VIP box at the Murray Cup races they can. It won't affect anyone's progress, it wouldn't even stop non-paying viewers from seeing the race. They can have whole events in a star system and charge for entry if they wish. Scramble races are on the roadmap.

H. Making TV/Movies based upon the Star Citizen Universe -both for in-game consumption and real world. Long flights, need some entertainment.

These are just a few ideas, there are plenty more possibilities. I'm sure they can think of far more than I can. I don't think funding is going to be a problem... finding all the staff with the skills to build this massive universe at such a level of detail is more the problem.

CIG are hiring, they are opening new and bigger offices. They are pulling in talent from other game studios that are now struggling. We have the Montreal Sandbox 1 Team making content for us now - 2 years ago it didn't exist, a significant proportion of which used to work for Ubisoft. Far more content has been made than people realise, there is no reason for CIG to just gush it out they are doing quite nicely with what they have, what would you do in any new systems without game mechanics except sight-seeing. We have a playable alpha for testing. That's all it is.

We all knew this project was an open ended project, because we were asked if we would like to just keep building it and building it and the answer was an overwhelming YES. Those who talk about a final don't seem to really understand what the community's vison was - Chris Roberts vision was surpassed by this community years ago.

What is Star Citizen going to be? Every game you ever wanted to play and then instead of going to a menu to log out, you walk out the racing venue gates, you walk down the road and take a train to the next environment. You jump in your ship and go and enjoy a glorious sunset before setting off for the next place with all the incredible spectacle and goings on the likes of which no-one has ever seen before. When you're done exploring the universe, or the small part you can get to today - then you go home to your own place, with your own things, and watch the Spectrum to see what everyone else is doing. What is happening tomorrow, and where.

You think $400 million and 10 years is a lot? Much smaller games have cost far more, and taken longer. Those who keep crying salty just don't get what Star Citizen is - It is the gamers dream when they can talk directly to those who make the game instead of always through the corporate suits.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

We need a :goonsay: for Star Citizen

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I ain’t reading all that, but looking at the very end—what smaller games cost far more than $400m and took longer than 10 years? There aren’t any right?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
CIG is hiring? poo poo I want in on this gravy train.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
But in like, a contractor capacity so I don't get arrested when the FBI raids the CIG offices.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I ain’t reading all that, but looking at the very end—what smaller games cost far more than $400m and took longer than 10 years? There aren’t any right?

I think GTA 5 might technically have cost more (if you add up the cost of development and marketing), but it wasn't a 10-year project and, you know, the game came out.

Duke Nukem Forever took like 17(?) years from announcement to release, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't continuous development and, again, it actually did release. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think putting SC in the same conversation as either game are the sorts of comparisons they want to get into the habit of making.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

How can this be a scam when we have given him so much money lol what a weird and totally not owned statement. Paging Bernie Madoff to the Star Citizen thread.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Applewhite posted:

But in like, a contractor capacity so I don't get arrested when the FBI raids the CIG offices.

Oh for sure like Curt Schilling's Rhode Island game studio. Don't rely on them for health insurance just cash up front. When that imploded they still owed R. A. Salvatore $1.7 million for coming up with the story, kinda doubt he ever got paid.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Let's make Chris a billionaire so he can make mayors and governors who don't understand anything grovel to bring his next Star Citizen factory to their town.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Is there any way this ends without bankruptcy and assets being sold for scrap, with a barely playable single player game hitting the steam discount bin?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
There will not be any game that resembled what they’re talking about, and CR will own a bunch of real estate and other assets with money that people gave him for no reason, with no recourse and no ownership interest whatsoever.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

nvidiagouge posted:

Let's make Chris a billionaire so he can make mayors and governors who don't understand anything grovel to bring his next Star Citizen factory to their town.

This is so stupid it's almost a certainty.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Applewhite posted:

Take the job.

Offer to become an informant for the FBI.

Rat out Sandy for non-union tickle-fetish vids, Ben for the body of that newslady he stalked buried in his wife's garden, and ChristR for smuggling the drugs he devours everywhere he goes by stunt doubling for goatse.

???

Collect fat paycheck of cryptobro $$$ donations and the Fed's reward.

(I really haven't kept up in a while, but I'm fairly confident all this is still accurate)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Is there any way this ends without bankruptcy and assets being sold for scrap, with a barely playable single player game hitting the steam discount bin?

I mean obviously they're going to strip the foundation to the studs before they shut down but they're fully profitable now without a game, they have the best subscription model with free money and just need the best embezzlement setup to extract maximum cash from the company.