Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cyberpunk 2077 - Reworked V's vulva a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

forest spirit posted:

lmao that adult one at the end, what hahaha. Poster definitely meant it as a gag

Yeah, I assume so :)

I also didn't intend my post to come off as mean against op, just slightly snarky about the state of affairs.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

chaosapiant posted:

You recognize that Rockstar not only invented their own genre of game, but have been iterating on it for decades?

Also, I played GTA V recently and while it’s a great game, the only similarities are driving and a big city. And despite all the bitching, Cyberpunk does both of those things very well, despite it being the studio’s first attempt at a game like this.

Did Cyberpunk have its driving and pedestrians massively overhauled since I last played in January/February?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One of the biggest 2077 apologists on Earth over here stepping in to say that the driving is inexcusably bad, like if 50 people explained how driving a car feels to an AI and then had it design the cars but half the people were drunk

I've never experienced driving in a video game that felt less like driving a car than the vehicles in this game.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Use a better driving mod or use fast travel.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I haven't had a whole lot of time to put in but so far coming up to the end of the first act, the game seems like a meditation on the illusion of choice. You are constantly presented with dialog choices some of which would appear to be building to significant story consequences later in the game, as far as I can tell they're not*. In the entire first act there are exactly two choices you can make that will affect later missions. Upthread someone mentioned this is pared down significantly after the first act, so I'm assuming they just stop presenting false choices, because there's no way they could have less impact on the story.

*I spoiled this for myself out of curiosity after it seemed like too many of the choices present made no difference even in the mission itself. The number of times "All options have the same outcome" appears in the walkthroughs for the missions I've done so far is hilarious.

Like how in The Information you have the option to consider cutting out Dex, which might have big consequences, trying to burn your fixer, but it doesn't because The Heist only ends one way and really your only options are "no" or "maybe" anyway.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 5, 2021

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Why the gently caress isn't Holster By Hotkey not just in the drat game to begin with? It's such a simple fix, and somebody went and fixed it, that it really speaks volumes about how rushed and mismanaged this game was. I kept thinking that maybe I'd missed something, maybe there's a way to put up your weapon that isn't just "wait for the game to put it away eventually" but no, there's not.

Bust Rodd posted:

One of the biggest 2077 apologists on Earth over here stepping in to say that the driving is inexcusably bad, like if 50 people explained how driving a car feels to an AI and then had it design the cars but half the people were drunk

I've never experienced driving in a video game that felt less like driving a car than the vehicles in this game.

Eh, I mean it sucks but I don't think it's that terrible. Driving is clearly an afterthought though, like it feels like what it would feel like to have a driving mod in a Fallout game. I half expect there to be an NPC with the car for a head underneath the road or something.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

You can holster weapons by double tapping the switch button or opening the weapon wheel, and double tapping worked less than half the time for me. Terrible console interface strikes again.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Eraflure posted:

Wait Shaitan actually died in that helicopter?

No, in "reality" he held off Arasaka while everyone else escaped before escaping himself. Vic comes right out and tells you not to take anything you see in Johnny's imagineered memories at face value.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The driving in Cyberpunk is no worse than the riding a horse is in the Witcher. It does what it needs to do, which is move you around the map at speed.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Roach being a pain to control makes sense, because it's a horse. I guess maybe your car in Cyberpunk has a Tesla AI or something.

e: My only kills in Cyberpunk so far are from running two people over after being blinded in first-person mode in the car coming out of an underpass.

King Vidiot posted:

Eh, I mean it sucks but I don't think it's that terrible. Driving is clearly an afterthought though, like it feels like what it would feel like to have a driving mod in a Fallout game. I half expect there to be an NPC with the car for a head underneath the road or something.

There's actually a mod that adds vehicles to Fallout New Vegas.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 5, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Most of the cars sucked, but riding around on the anime motorcycle or driving the Wraith sportscar around the badlands were both pretty fun for some reason.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve driven most every vehicle in the game both first and third person and haven’t seen what the big deal is with driving. It’s perfectly fine. Granted Ive only played the GTA games and like one racing game so there’s not much to compare to. It certainly feels a lot better than GTA IV which I started playing again recently.

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve driven most every vehicle in the game both first and third person and haven’t seen what the big deal is with driving. It’s perfectly fine. Granted Ive only played the GTA games and like one racing game so there’s not much to compare to. It certainly feels a lot better than GTA IV which I started playing again recently.

It always felt fine to me too, but apparently hadling was heavily dependent on fps in earlier patches and I built a new pc for the game.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

THANKS brother thats good poo poo, i know theres a mod list on the firstp ost but had no clue which ones worth using etc. Much love

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Huge Manatee posted:

It always felt fine to me too, but apparently hadling was heavily dependent on fps in earlier patches and I built a new pc for the game.

I did the same, building a new PC. So that maybe could explain it.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

infernal machines posted:

There's actually a mod that adds vehicles to Fallout New Vegas.

We...uhh it's best to not talk about The Frontier

The Huge Manatee posted:

I wad luckt enough to land a 3080 in time for the games November release before it got pushed back to December and the driving felt atrocious even at high FPS.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

jisforjosh posted:

We...uhh it's best to not talk about The Frontier

It's getting a reboot! And by all accounts, it sounds pretty promising.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Rinkles posted:

It's getting a reboot! And by all accounts, it sounds pretty promising.

Did they get rid of all the weird fetish poo poo?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
it's sounds like they're scrubbing or reworking the bulk of the content. new writers too, and even the person heading the project has changed.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Bust Rodd posted:

In terms of what? GTAV is a boring unfun slog with 10 characters that are all written to be unpleasant and unlikeable intentionally. GTAV and GTAIV are starkly removed from what made San Andreas and Vice City good games.

GTAV is a sandbox, in almost the literal sense of the word, in that it’s basically just a play pen for children who wanna play Rocket Launcher

lovely shooting, lovely driving, weak writing that feels like a caricature of itself from two decades ago… not a very good game IMO!!!

In terms of almost everything. I can't speak to your personal enjoyment because different people like different things. Yours is definitely a minority opinion but I can certainly see how you could feel that way about it. But the world building, the attention to detail, the voice acting, the story telling, the sound design, and the way all of the different systems come together to work together are all incredible. Doubly so for being a 10 year old game.

The shooting isn't great I guess, but I mean you put a reticule over what you want to shoot and then pull the trigger. I don't really play shooters and people that talk "gun feel" or whatever are kind of aliens to me and I have no idea what they're talking about. If you say it's lovely then I'll take your word for it. It seems fine to me.

To go back to sound design. I assume you don't have it install but if you do, then head into the middle of Los Santos and walk around with your eyes closed. Then walk around Night City with your eyes closed. One of them sounds like a city. The other tries to sound like a city, when the sounds play at the right time and you don't have to reload because V's footsteps bugged out and no longer make any noise.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Im a big cyberpunk apologist but I think the comparisons to GTA are fair. Both games are, on some level, trying to simulate a city and that's the level on which the two games should be compared. Comparing other aspects of the game are whatever but it's not really questionable that they wanted night city to be memorable as a city. I remember one of the prerelease dev statements were basically that they wanted the "city itself" to be a character you spent time with and might feel sad to say goodbye to. It's kind of impossible to do that if night city can't generate the necessary verisimilitude.

There are moments where it feels right and you come around a corner and there's a giant advertisement and somebody is yelling on their cellphone and traffic is moving and for a glorious moment it feels like a real place. I don't fault the game for the strangely obvious cracks in this system - the repeat character models, the 2d cars etc - though the obviousness itself is a problem. All games have limitations, cyberpunk is just particularly bad at hiding them.

The real issue is that you never really feel like wandering around night city. After you spend a few dozen hours with it there's nothing you're going to find that's worth finding. There's only a handful of vendors, and the game doesn't on-board you at all for finding hidden items (and there aren't that many). That to me is the biggest mistake.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mendrian posted:

Im a big cyberpunk apologist but I think the comparisons to GTA are fair. Both games are, on some level, trying to simulate a city and that's the level on which the two games should be compared. Comparing other aspects of the game are whatever but it's not really questionable that they wanted night city to be memorable as a city. I remember one of the prerelease dev statements were basically that they wanted the "city itself" to be a character you spent time with and might feel sad to say goodbye to. It's kind of impossible to do that if night city can't generate the necessary verisimilitude.

There are moments where it feels right and you come around a corner and there's a giant advertisement and somebody is yelling on their cellphone and traffic is moving and for a glorious moment it feels like a real place. I don't fault the game for the strangely obvious cracks in this system - the repeat character models, the 2d cars etc - though the obviousness itself is a problem. All games have limitations, cyberpunk is just particularly bad at hiding them.

The real issue is that you never really feel like wandering around night city. After you spend a few dozen hours with it there's nothing you're going to find that's worth finding. There's only a handful of vendors, and the game doesn't on-board you at all for finding hidden items (and there aren't that many). That to me is the biggest mistake.

The moment you decide that your game is an open world wherein the player gets around using cars, you are going to invite comparisons to GTA. And cyberpunk fails in ways that just sting. From the car controls to the traffic to the pedestrians, it just feels bad and unnatural. Then on top of that, important details like the damage a car takes from crashes is very barebones, shooting out tires doesn't exist (something that is now almost 2 decades old), etc.

For the life of me, I don't get why someone could not just put their foot down and say "its the future, all the cars are self driving" and just dropped that entire kludge of a system. Just let the player ride in cars and use that time to do the fixer calls, show off the city during story missions, etc. Getting driven around in the early missions was actually some of the most immersed I felt in the game, compared to awkwardly slamming my car into traffic.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Yeah, at a point in a post-GTA world vaguely similar games will be compared similar to how fantasy RPG MMOs will be compared to WoW and so forth for various genre-defining games. CDPR has Witcher 3 to mark a milestone that other games will be compared to for a long time to come, and most companies would kill to have such a position.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CDPR, Rockstar, and Bethesda work on design timelines that means they can all deconflict by not even releasing in the same year as each other, and there really aren't any other games in town for this scale of open world RPG (assuming we're not treating the Ubisoft raft of games as in direct competition).

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Alchenar posted:

CDPR, Rockstar, and Bethesda work on design timelines that means they can all deconflict by not even releasing in the same year as each other, and there really aren't any other games in town for this scale of open world RPG (assuming we're not treating the Ubisoft raft of games as in direct competition).

Bethesda cheats by releasing Skyrim every year.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I guess I posted it in this thread so, mea culpa, but I was mostly just amazed at what Rockstar had achieved in GTA:V so long ago and wondering why nobody else seems to be able to match them. A game doesn't have to be an open world sandbox with cars to reach for the same level of quality and detail that a Rockstar game does.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rockstar get to do what they do because they spend 5 years working on a game with an enormous pile of money, and have been iterating on the same game design model for over 20 years.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Alchenar posted:

Rockstar get to do what they do because they spend 5 years working on a game with an enormous pile of money, and have been iterating on the same game design model for over 20 years.

Most game companies do that though. CA have been making the same total war game for 20 years. Bethesda has been making the same game for 20+ years. Ubisoft makes the same loving every year. Larian have started making the same game every few years. From Software has been making Dark Soul clones. Etc..

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Most game companies do that though. CA have been making the same total war game for 20 years. Bethesda has been making the same game for 20+ years. Ubisoft makes the same loving every year. Larian have started making the same game every few years. From Software has been making Dark Soul clones. Etc..

And that can be a good thing. I'm playing Deathloop right now and it is a nice iteration on Arkane's basic mechanics from Dishonored. I haven't tried the PvP thing yet, but I'm pretty well along in the single-player campaign and been enjoying it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oh it's a fine thing to do. If you have a good thing going you stick to it. It took me 15 years and god knows how many thousands of hours to finally get sick of Total War games.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The main difference between GTA5 and other games is that GTA5 took a thousand people five years to make

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Lol at thinking the driving is ok

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
The recent announcements involving updates/overhauls/Major Changes don't seem all that surprising, but I do wish they would get on with upgrading the base game experience to the point where it seems stable enough to use the assets in expansions

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
lol yeah los santos sounds just like a real city especially when the npcs start talking to each other

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I mentioned this earlier, but not only did GTA V have a lot of money and people thrown at it, but it wasn’t Rockstar’s first game. Or second. Or third. They’ve been iterating on these systems for over 20 years. In that light, it doesn’t seem that remarkable to me.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Yeah, as a small indie startup with no prior games under their belt, you can't really expect CDPR to be able to match something like GTA

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The technological achievement for Rockstar with GTA5 was getting all of that running on last gen hardware at the time. If CDPR had made things scale down to that level on PS4 / XB1 remotely competently on launch day, I would be screaming that CDPR devs are top tier engineers in gaming (R* technically didn’t either because there were a ton of bugs, but it was worked out fast enough). Few large games can scale worth a drat across a huge, diverse range of platforms and most that do tend to be very drat good commercially. Warframe I keep citing as an engine (Evolution, probably just means it’s hacked on constantly) is remarkable for looking so good and being so performant across so much hardware and across so many years of active development. Of course it doesn’t approach even Night City’s open world systems whatsoever, but it runs pretty well on a drat Switch and has a reasonably decent network stack given design limitations in P2P networking.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

The cars create just as many problems as they solve, but the biggest sin they commit is giving CDPR an excuse to not make rideable mass transit an actual thing in the game. Shootouts on a darkened subway car/gorilla-punching someone into an oncoming monorail should be a core gameplay experience in Night City IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The driving wasn't great but I got used to it. What bothered me more on an ongoing basis was the lack of information on the map - I had a really hard time keeping track of what was where and would have really appreciated being able to zoom in more and see street names and have landmarks and such show up.