Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

I hope Vancouver hires someone worse. For 8 years.

:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Haven't really posted here in a while since Flyers haven't been worth watching in a few years, but just stopping by to say loving lol at this dumb goddamn team. Didn't like the AV deal from the beginning, other Flyers fans I know thought I was stupid or crazy. lolling all the way into hell with this now.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't really follow the Canucks or their history but based on what the play-by-play/color guys were saying in the games I was watching last night, it sounds like their new front office basically boils down to "hey remember all these guys? when they played for us? well they're all the GM now" which sounds like a really dumb idea

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't really follow the Canucks or their history but based on what the play-by-play/color guys were saying in the games I was watching last night, it sounds like their new front office basically boils down to "hey remember all these guys? when they played for us? well they're all the GM now" which sounds like a really dumb idea

Hello, let me tell you about front offices in Canada

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Sometimes they branch out and hire guys who played for thems brothers

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
https://twitter.com/MDeFranks/status/1467880125308051459

Almost not really worth posting in this thread with all the news going on, but big Ben is going to get some game action in for the first time in around 18 months!

This is kind of a surprise, most Dallas fans were assuming his career was effectively over. It kind of screws up the team's cap picture if he re-joins the active roster, so they will be forced to make some trades to dump salary if they determine he can play at the NHL level.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1467895519062147073?s=20

If the refs just gave Pionk like 2 minutes for kneeing Sandin like they should have none of this poo poo happens and the Leafs quietly lose 8-3 after packing it in for the third.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Fun fact: Bergevin played his final 12 NHL games (9 regular season, 3 playoffs) with the Canucks!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1467886926548111364

honestly this is a great strategy. Pretty good emergency backup.

Also Rask related: a lot of people are wondering how the Bruins will clear the cap space to sign him when he's healthy, but they are forgetting that Rask has said he would play for "league minimum and a bunch of free bud lights"

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 6, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I don't expect the Devils to fire Ruff but they should really loving change their ST Coordinators right now.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Koopa Kid posted:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1467895519062147073?s=20

If the refs just gave Pionk like 2 minutes for kneeing Sandin like they should have none of this poo poo happens and the Leafs quietly lose 8-3 after packing it in for the third.

I swear this has happened a bunch of times this season. If they are going to continue to encourage a culture of “players work things out on the ice” then they just need to just call penalties or else you get 20 minutes of vigilante justice that results in far more mayhem then if you just called the original penalty to begin with. They call borderline minors all the time yet are too scared to call one when they know it’s gonna be a shitshow the rest of the game.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1467886926548111364

honestly this is a great strategy. Pretty good emergency backup.

Bruins are going to purposefully injure Swayman during warmups now

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's just for a practice, they have no games until Wednesday.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Rask is going to come back in January and they are going to send Swayman to Providence which I think is probably the right call.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The right call would be abandoning Ullmark on the side of the highway somewhere.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Someone post that Edmonton front office flowchart from like 2013 with the titles of "Advisor to Special Advisor Advising"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/Kurt_BSH/status/1467904369739849737

Chuck said they haven't interviewed anyone yet. For now Yeo's the interim. Also this is a great idea.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Flyers are going to get a nice dead cat bounce from firing AV and then Yeo will be torturing Flyers fans for the next 4 years.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

WeaponX posted:

I swear this has happened a bunch of times this season. If they are going to continue to encourage a culture of “players work things out on the ice” then they just need to just call penalties or else you get 20 minutes of vigilante justice that results in far more mayhem then if you just called the original penalty to begin with. They call borderline minors all the time yet are too scared to call one when they know it’s gonna be a shitshow the rest of the game.

Its so loving sick

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Professional sports with no contracts would be super interesting to me. Players just interview whenever and for whoever they want. With a salary cap it seems kinda feasible.

Can't wait to see NHL player linkedin profiles.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Congrats to the Habs, Nucks, and Philly fans on finally firing coaches/gms.

Lol that the teams are probably just going to play musical chairs and hire the cast offs from the other teams that were just fired.

Bergevin to Van
Benning to Mtl
etc.

How do you guys feel about Boudreau? I wanted the Sabres to get him.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boudreau is one of those short shelf life coaches, right? He starts out real good, gets everyone working together then production falls off a cliff and he gets fired again.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

xzzy posted:

Boudreau is one of those short shelf life coaches, right? He starts out real good, gets everyone working together then production falls off a cliff and he gets fired again.

This but he’s an awesome guy off the ice and the players all love him to death.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

that's not just Canada, remember that Joe Sakic is the GM for Colorado (though we got lucky that he actually seems to understand what he's doing) and we had Roy as our coach

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Boudreau is the ideal coach to bring in when you've just fired a tyrannical hardass. If the Jets had fired Maurice and hired him they'd have ripped off a 19-3 run as sure as sunrise. The Jackets really should have hired him when they deep sixed Torts. Not sure how it'll go following Green and if defense is your problem he's not the guy to fix it. Won't be surprised if Pettersson immediately reverts to playing like a superstar under Bruce though.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
In other incompetent-management news, on Saturday, Ottawa Senators' GM Pierre Dorion gave his first press conference in months, in which he walked back his "rebuild is over" comment and talked about how he "takes responsibility" for everything that happened so far this season. In the midst of one of Ottawa's poorest starts to a season since the initial expansion season, he was sending out DJ Smith, Tkachuk, and Chabot to answer all of the tough questions about the team.

Strangely, though, he didn't face any tough questions from the media in the room. Because the Senators hadn't given media any notice that he would be giving a press conference, and the team knew that most of the media covering the team doesn't attend Saturday-morning media availabilities. Though they appear to have given team mouthpiece Bruce Garrioch notice.

https://twitter.com/SunGarrioch/status/1467161921086447621

Leading to apologies to readers from the actual journalists covering the team that they missed Dorion's first (and likely only) press event before the end of the year.

From Ian Mendes:

quote:

However, I was quite surprised to see the buzz on social media that Dorion was addressing the media on Saturday morning. In the past, the Senators have often given us advance notice for when the general manager is going to be made available to the media. It’s a professional courtesy they’ve usually extended to make us aware of a newsworthy session on the horizon. Sometimes it’s just a one-hour heads up, sometimes it’s a full day. But they didn’t alert us on Saturday, which is why I missed the Dorion presser that morning.

And from St. Laurent at Le Droit (translated):

quote:

We would obviously have come on Saturday if we had been warned that the general manager intended to appear at the podium.

In the ecosystem of Ottawa-Gatineau sports journalists, I sometimes have the impression that there are two categories of individuals. On the one hand, we find rigorous people, anxious to deliver quality information. These people have the utmost respect for their audience.

There is another category of colleagues. When you read and listen to these people, you can have the curious impression that everything is always going well in Kanata.

I will content myself with assuring you that the English-speaking colleagues who missed Dorion's press conference belong to the first category.

Ottawa's just an absolute joke of an organization, top to bottom. Hosting a press conference preaching accountability, while making sure that nobody who is going to actually try to hold you accountable attends.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Current Habs' Lineup (Missing Petry & Armia (maintenance)):

Lehkonen - Dvorak - Evans
Hoffman - Suzuki - Drouin
Perreault - Poehling - Caufield
Pezzetta - Paquette - Dauphin (an all-AHL line)

Chiarot - Savard
Romanov - Wideman
Kulak - Clague

Allen
Montembeault

Toffoli is going to miss weeks apparently, Edmundson re-injured himself and is also many weeks away.

The current non-playing cap is:
Toffoli (4.25M), Gallagher (6.5M, Covid), Niku (0.75M, Covid), Anderson (5.5M), Edmundson (3.5M), Weber (7.8M), Byron (3.4M), Price (10.5M).

That's 42 millions. If Petry isn't back for next game (he missed last), add 6.25M to that and get 48.5M. Armia is 3.4M which would put it at 51.9M and Ducharme said he was uncertain as well.

https://twitter.com/JayGold85/status/1467208492792565768

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 6, 2021

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aces High posted:

that's not just Canada, remember that Joe Sakic is the GM for Colorado (though we got lucky that he actually seems to understand what he's doing) and we had Roy as our coach

Steve Yzerman is the GM in Detroit. Rob Blake is the GM of the Kings. Ron Hextall was the long time GM of the Flyers, so was Bobby Clarke. Chris Drury is the GM of the Rangers. Doug Wilson is the GM of the Sharks.

It's pretty common in European football too. I don't understand it. Why do you need a former player in charge of your team?

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

DJExile posted:

Someone post that Edmonton front office flowchart from like 2013 with the titles of "Advisor to Special Advisor Advising"

I've forgotten how powerful this org chart is.

Special Special Advisor Advising

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

bub spank posted:

In other incompetent-management news, on Saturday, Ottawa Senators' GM Pierre Dorion gave his first press conference in months, in which he walked back his "rebuild is over" comment and talked about how he "takes responsibility" for everything that happened so far this season. In the midst of one of Ottawa's poorest starts to a season since the initial expansion season, he was sending out DJ Smith, Tkachuk, and Chabot to answer all of the tough questions about the team.

Strangely, though, he didn't face any tough questions from the media in the room. Because the Senators hadn't given media any notice that he would be giving a press conference, and the team knew that most of the media covering the team doesn't attend Saturday-morning media availabilities. Though they appear to have given team mouthpiece Bruce Garrioch notice.

https://twitter.com/SunGarrioch/status/1467161921086447621

Leading to apologies to readers from the actual journalists covering the team that they missed Dorion's first (and likely only) press event before the end of the year.

From Ian Mendes:

And from St. Laurent at Le Droit (translated):

Ottawa's just an absolute joke of an organization, top to bottom. Hosting a press conference preaching accountability, while making sure that nobody who is going to actually try to hold you accountable attends.

Thank god Bruce Garrioch was there to lap up all of the slop Dorion provided him with no follow-up questions.

It’s funny that the team so obsessed with High Character they drafted Tyler Boucher 10th overall has a GM too scared to call his #1 goalie before he puts him on waivers. Gutless

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah but that group was so dysfunctional they ended up witb McDavid that year, so who's to say it didn't work?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/JHallNBCS/status/1467913766918578179?t=KcdgtJP22TdonNAkA9XPfA&s=19

I have questions

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I think triple sulk answered them already:

triple sulk posted:

The Philadelphia Flyers are dogshit garbage.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
It’s all Chuck Fletcher had to say too, not sure why they need a press conference

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

I still think Craig Mactavish can coach... the only one out of that whole gang of idiots that was worth anything. Now he gets to openly poo poo on Bob Stauffer on TV though so thats sick

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

:sickos: :yeshaha: :sickos: :sickos: :yeshaha: :sickos:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

This is taking “The Philadelphia Flyers are dog poo poo garbage” to another level.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

eXXon posted:

Speaking of which, he's having such a slow start to the season that I'm almost shocked that Hand Knit hasn't written a sad, Kingston Frontenacs-centered note about it yet.

He was slow for a while but he’s up to 30 in 22 now. I wouldn’t expect him to fully Daigle until he’s drafted.

e: he has 11 points in his last 5 games. I don’t pay enough attention to know if he’s been moved up to the first line with Edmonds.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I found Good Soup’s twitter

https://twitter.com/johangartner/status/1467927482317918210?s=21

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Aces High posted:

Avs even have a little bit of nepotism too, Joe Sakic's son is one of the Avs video scouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

In spite of The Athletic's more "national" guys becoming more smug and tainting the brand, it's coverage like this:

quote:

This being the NHL, the older Red Wings players who’d skated opposite Boll during his days as an NHL brawler couldn’t pass on a chance to take runs at Boll behind the bench that they’d never imagine taking if he was on the ice.

Verbal runs, that is. Let’s just say the chirping was intense. And hilarious.

“Hey, Boller, take your hands out of your pockets!”

“Nice suit, Boller!”

“This your power play, Boller?”

“I got some funny looks from guys, I know that,” Boll said, with a laugh.

...that keeps me reading the local guys. :laffo:

https://theathletic.com/2998186/2021/12/05/blue-jackets-sunday-gathering-jared-boll-moves-behind-the-bench-a-tale-of-two-tarasovs-and-more/