Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

dang that looks fun. i hope it comes out for switch or ps5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i guess i'm back into hollow knight. unlocked a super dash and a dream strike that might not do much and the three boss sigils. feel like i am starting to figure out the map better

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Crazy Achmed posted:

i love the idea of kingsway but i can't figure out how to not get rapidly ground down on health and resources and killed within the first couple of areas (or even what direction i should be going in). is there a good guide or lp i can look at to work out how i should actually be playing the game?

in general you want to go east, but not too fast, encounters get more difficult. explore north and south, find abandoned houses and other random encounters. most of them will be beneficial or at least more battles for xp and items. after playing for a bit you should get a "quest" informing you of a world map in the guild storage. you can "inspect" towns before you travel there to see their services. visit every fort (there are 3-4 of them), you can fast travel between them if you need to. your overall goal is to light three beacons and at each beacon you fight a very powerful boss. once the beacons are lit you visit the castle. i don't want to spoil the rest.

the warrior or new necromancer class are good to start. the new settings should also make it easier, you can slow down the progression of the sky eater (the shadow pressing you east) and make a bigger world to grind more and get good items. the necromancer makes it easier to kill bosses through summoning minions.

if nothing else, remember to block each enemy attack, the best way to not run out of potions is to not use as many.

there's a lot of luck involved with items and potion availability. i've only beaten it once and i've played for 40 hours according to steam.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Congrats to MATN who just wrapped his year-long Fallout4 YOLO / No heal run; after taking a big hit a while back I didn't think he'd get to the end, but it got done.

I did learn from the run that there's a way to avoid the final boss room in the Automatron DLC, which I was sure would be a run-ended.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Cat Face Joe posted:

playing through dead cells and there's a five boss cell door at the end of the game now and lol i can't even beat it on one boss cell im never finishing this game

yeah i like dead cells but it has the roguelike problem of being too hard for me to ever completely clear lmao

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i liked dead cells until 1) i completed it at the base difficulty 2) they nerfed things because ??

every so often i throw myself at it but unlockable progress is glacial and seemingly very low return. i can almost finish it at difficulty +1 but i cannot convince myself as to why i'd want to

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

NonzeroCircle posted:

I got Cyberpunk2077 in the steam sale at 50% off as its prolly as finished as its gonna get if we're honest.

I had no bugs so far, just finished the prologue/interlude bits Is this really a spoiler? Keanu is in my brain now. and having come into this with no expectations I gotta say it's some heavy poo poo. The, I guess implied (?), scale of Night City and the ongoing themes of questioning the sense of self are actually making me way more edgy than RE:Village did other than That One House did. Even though that game was awesome too, this is getting under my skin a bit and it's rare for a game to do that

Edit STOP CYBERBULLYING ME KEANU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
is that kylo ren?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
skyrim has been a hoot—there is soooo much to do. the combat/character movement kind of sucks though.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

tag urself

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

top row, second from the left

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Insane multi tasker

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

i guess i'm back into hollow knight. unlocked a super dash and a dream strike that might not do much and the three boss sigils. feel like i am starting to figure out the map better

The dream strike thingy is neat because it lets you read the NPCs and enemies' minds. Not sure if there is ever a practical use for doing so but it's cool that they included it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

sticky-fingered preschooler

physically in an old man, but emotionally, that’s where I’ll always be

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

it really is a pretty fun game, still a little Simple and one-note but ppl tell me once i get into the real poo poo it gets more interesting

yeah the writing gets quite good and the voice acting too once you get past the original game and get into the expansion pack stuff where they started to be able to get some better production value

be prepared for some pretty ridiculous, long winded and unskippable villain monologues at the end of the ARR main story though

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

covert office gamer today at least

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

The dream strike thingy is neat because it lets you read the NPCs and enemies' minds. Not sure if there is ever a practical use for doing so but it's cool that they included it.

secret spoiler: it's the only way to fight the real final boss and get another ending

PIZZA.BAT posted:

CHALLENGING THE loving SUN TO A FIGHT

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

this game has basically perfected the 'owo what's this' -> 'oh.... ohhhh' cycle

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/747221792199802931/917443877470879754/out.mp4

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

outside of spoilery things, it’s also a consistent way to get extra soul when you need it… the windup is a bit tough to get the hang of, though

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I beat disco elysium after reading about it in this thread. It wasn't the experience I was expecting, but it wasn't a disappointment either. It brought back a lot of good memories playing the blade runner point and click in the late 90s, and scratched a gaming itch I didn't know I had.

It took me 25 hours to beat, and a couple of those were wasted restarting with new stats a few times. It is not at all the open world that I was expecting, and was in fact quite linear. New areas don't open up until a certain amount of time has passed or certain events have taken place. NPCs do have a schedule kind of, but it's not as immersive as I was hoping (the kids in the alley never move, the lorry drivers and the scabs don't either, until you progress the story obviously).

It wasn't bad by any means, just not the game I thought it was going in. I laughed a lot. I actually wish it was twice as long, I was really hoping to travel to another city district. The ending when you find out about your past based on the actions you made during the game was hilarious (I ended up being a former gym teacher because I always wore the FALN track suit and impatiently ran everywhere)

I would play a sequel if there ever was one.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 6, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/747221792199802931/917443877470879754/out.mp4

what is this

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

polyester concept posted:

I beat disco elysium after reading about it in this thread. It wasn't the experience I was expecting, but it wasn't a disappointment either. It brought back a lot of good memories playing the blade runner point and click in the late 90s, and scratched a gaming itch I didn't know I had.

It took me 25 hours to beat, and a couple of those were wasted restarting with new stats a few times. It is not at all the open world that I was expecting, and was in fact quite linear. New areas don't open up until a certain amount of time has passed or certain events have taken place. NPCs do have a schedule kind of, but it's not as immersive as I was hoping (the kids in the alley never move, the lorry drivers and the scabs don't either, until you progress the story obviously).

It wasn't bad by any means, just not the game I thought it was going in. I laughed a lot. I actually wish it was twice as long, I was really hoping to travel to another city district. The ending when you find out about your past based on the actions you made during the game was hilarious (I ended up being a former gym teacher because I always wore the FALN track suit and impatiently ran everywhere)

I would play a sequel if there ever was one.

more backstory spoilers: slowly piecing together the mystery of the wreckless driver thinking maybe it had something to do with the murder and then it dawns on you as to what actually happened. phenomenal. so so good

Endless Mike posted:

what is this

noita. a finnish indie game that's been scratching my roguelike itch since i finally broke the binding of isaac curse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cDkmQ0F0Jw

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 6, 2021

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Sapozhnik posted:

anybody remember Death Rally? i should see if that's available on gog or whatever, that game was rather fun

there was also that old game publisher Safari Software that Epic collaborated with back in the days before they were The Unreal Corporation. but yeah "safari software" has been rendered utterly un-googleable now.

death rally was good. a lot of the old epic stuff was really good. zone 66, zzt, epic pinball, and motherfucking solar winds were all great.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

is this a soldat roguelike

edit: oh, this is noita

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Entire manual memorizer, obviously

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im the technical wizard

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

i liked dead cells until 1) i completed it at the base difficulty 2) they nerfed things because ??

every so often i throw myself at it but unlockable progress is glacial and seemingly very low return. i can almost finish it at difficulty +1 but i cannot convince myself as to why i'd want to

this was my experience too. "oh hey that was super fun, let's go again!....

.....oh"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Nice! Noita's a lot of fun at being bad at. Unfortunately being lazy and not carefully working out what each wand does before using it is often fatal (as in your example!)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i basically never use anything with saw blades anymore as they are so deadly

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Kenny Logins posted:

yeah, I quit after beating boss cell 1… but it’s still fun to go back and play 0 cells every once in a while. the game just feels good to play. But memorizing timings is something I reserve for piano now, so sustained playing is just… enh.

unlocking isn’t as slow as you might think… if you’re willing to grind. which I am not.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i mean, yeah, but also it is pretty subversive about it in an interesting way. i think my favourite moment in the game was the emotion when it gave me the "The World's Most Laughable Centrist" achievement. legit getting trashtalked by my entertainment product. also of course the overall plot very much revolving around a failed revolution, and a doubly-failed revolutionary doing stupid pointless violent things. it certainly does not pander.

To be honest, I didn't really find a lot of the political discourse part of the game to be that entertaining, and ended up skimming through most of the heavier stuff. I got more lost in the personal stories of the people you meet, rather than trying to take sides. I got the centrist achivement too, but it was only because I opted to focus on details of the case as a priority.

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null
Getting close to finishing Endwalker in FFxiv I think. A truly incredible expansion.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

polyester concept posted:

To be honest, I didn't really find a lot of the political discourse part of the game to be that entertaining, and ended up skimming through most of the heavier stuff. I got more lost in the personal stories of the people you meet, rather than trying to take sides. I got the centrist achivement too, but it was only because I opted to focus on details of the case as a priority.

yeah a lot of the times you get a list of dialog options that's basically:

-take strong political position 1
-take strong political position 2
-learn more about what's going on

and if you pick option 3 too much it calls you a laughable centrist

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, i expect most players get that achievement, but to me at least i think that's part of the fun

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

more backstory spoilers: slowly piecing together the mystery of the wreckless driver thinking maybe it had something to do with the murder and then it dawns on you as to what actually happened. phenomenal. so so good

noita. a finnish indie game that's been scratching my roguelike itch since i finally broke the binding of isaac curse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cDkmQ0F0Jw

oh i own this and have never played it lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FalseNegative posted:

Getting close to finishing Endwalker in FFxiv I think. A truly incredible expansion.

a lot of people are going oh-holy-poo poo about it, and i'm excited to eventually get there. I'd say NO SPOILERZ!, but i'm level 40, lol. There is so much poo poo in between here and there that one could do a full endwalker msq summary here and i'd totally forget it by the time i get up there.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
Noita is incredibly good + satisfying to play. Dying is usually hilarious and usually your own fault.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Sweetling posted:

Noita is incredibly good + satisfying to play. Dying is usually hilarious and usually your own fault.

I really like how some (lots) of the wands are just going to kill you within seconds of trying to use them, and you can only really figure out which ones through experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tetsuooooooo!!!!!