Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

huh posted:

Esteban is what my siblings and I would call Mysterious Cities of Gold. It was on ABC in Australia, right?

And Ulysses! I think that was on mid-morning or so. With Belle and Sebastian.

I don't know which channel it was on. Probably the ABC because I don't think my parents let me watch commercial television until I was about 8 (1989). They literally took the dial off the TV. Although, I watched things like G-Force, Transformers, Dinoriders, and Voltron. I don't think they would have been on the ABC, would they?

They might have even been on The Afternoon Show with James Valentine. No, wait Monkey and Dr Who were on The Afternoon Show. Maybe they didn't do cartoons.

E: Cities of Gold and Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea were both on the Afternoon Show.

E: They may have let me watch early morning cartoons. Commercial networks in Australia may not have been able to show ads to during children's shows until a bit after those shows had finish airing. They were definitely showing ads in 1989, but possibly not before then.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
When I lived in china I saw a tshirt on display that had a very cool drawing of a nurse holding a chainsaw over her head and on the shirt it said "OUTER SPACE". I wish I had bought it because short of making it myself I don't think I will ever find it again.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I have another book request!

I posted this in TBB a while ago, and got no response.

Another children's book, definitely British this time. Published sometime in the early to mid 90s.

It's about a family who move into an old farmhouse and the children make contact with the ghosts of a family that lived there in Victorian times. One of them died from a broken neck after he fell off his horse, I remember that detail vividly.

Another detail I remember vividly is that contact is first made through a computer chess game that the children play on. Part of me thinks the chess game was of the "battle chess" style but I may be misremembering.

At one point, the two children dress up as ghosts using bedsheets (one or both of them is stripey) and one of them stands on a bit of Lego, waking up their parents. I think they were trying to scare the ghosts away or something.

I have no idea how the story ended but you'd think with those details someone would know this, wouldn't you?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I remember an old flash video back in the days when stick people fighting was the new hotness. This one began with mario beating bowser as he does, and then slowly approaching the princess who really does not seem to be into getting rescued in such a creepy way. She enlists the help of more and more video game characters to try and beat mario back, but he just keeps slowly advancing until it's this ridiculous battle of basically everyone from every well-known 8-bit game vs creepy mario. I forget what happens, but I think it ends with a game over screen reading "love is over". The animation was funny enough, but I remember the soundtrack being some facemelting goodness that I'd like to hear again, might have been a cover of one of the final fantasy battle themes. Does anyone else remember this?

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Re: The Cities Of Gold, there's a YouTube series covering the early history of Nickelodeon that's also touched on it at one point if anyone's interested in how it ended up on there back in the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfHX_yf2qxk

I'm pretty sure the channel is run by a goon so there's that too

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I'm pretty sure the channel is run by a goon so there's that too
Oh dang, I am in the middle of watching every Nick Knacks episode, I am stoked if this is true

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

A book I had when I was a kid from a library sale that was missing the front cover and first few pages that I never knew the title of even when I still had it. All I remember were two characters who were kids named Renfro and Ella Mae working on a peach farm and then the narrator hits Renfro with an ear of corn and he almost dies.

It's D.J.'s Worst Enemy by Robert Burch

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
Mine's a bit of an obscure one and I'm not even sure if it's worth the hunt.

I used to have a PCdemo disc that had Carmageddon 2 and Live Wire! on it. The disk wasn't a full size CD but one of those little ones. I managed to find a photo of the exact disc:

The reason I'm looking for it is the Live Wire! demo. I remember the music being cool, particularly the space level. I have seen videos of people playing the release version but the music doesn't match what I remember from the demo build, so I can only assume that the music was changed later in development.

I'd love to hear that music again, mostly for nostalgia's sake I suppose, but I have no way of finding that particular build and I don't know how you'd get a demo for a game that old to run on a modern PC.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

runwiled posted:

Mine's a bit of an obscure one and I'm not even sure if it's worth the hunt.

I used to have a PCdemo disc that had Carmageddon 2 and Live Wire! on it. The disk wasn't a full size CD but one of those little ones. I managed to find a photo of the exact disc:

The reason I'm looking for it is the Live Wire! demo. I remember the music being cool, particularly the space level. I have seen videos of people playing the release version but the music doesn't match what I remember from the demo build, so I can only assume that the music was changed later in development.

I'd love to hear that music again, mostly for nostalgia's sake I suppose, but I have no way of finding that particular build and I don't know how you'd get a demo for a game that old to run on a modern PC.
Ps1 but is this right music?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIaU-EYhqjQ

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 6, 2021

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Sadly it is not. I think I've looked at that video before. I remember the demo space music being far less frenetic and more melodic and chill.

Thank you for looking though!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

runwiled posted:

Sadly it is not. I think I've looked at that video before. I remember the demo space music being far less frenetic and more melodic and chill.

Thank you for looking though!

https://archive.org/details/swizzle_demu_LIVE <- this it?

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
It could be! I'm a dunce and don't know how to get it to play though, or isolate the music tracks. I can see sound effects in the /zip

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
You'll probably need to find a Windows 98 emulator or you might be able to spin it up in dosbox. There's a high chance that the music tracks were on the CD rather than files though, in which case yeah you'll need a copy of the original cd unfortunately.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Splicer posted:

You'll probably need to find a Windows 98 emulator or you might be able to spin it up in dosbox. There's a high chance that the music tracks were on the CD rather than files though, in which case yeah you'll need a copy of the original cd unfortunately.

I feared as much. Thank you for trying though!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Knowing Windows it probably works fine in Windows 10. Most of my Windows 95 programs still work to this day.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011
When I tried to run the executable, it just showed a black screen for a bit and then went back to desktop

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

runwiled posted:

When I tried to run the executable, it just showed a black screen for a bit and then went back to desktop

It will run on Windows 7 x64 if you set the compatibility mode to Windows 98 for Z.exe. So you may be able to futz settings to get it to run on your own machine.
The Ocean level is up first.

edit; W7 is the first box I tried it on, didn't bother firing up older machines with even older versions of windows since if it runs on 7, it'll run on them.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

kupachek posted:

It will run on Windows 7 x64 if you set the compatibility mode to Windows 98 for Z.exe. So you may be able to futz settings to get it to run on your own machine.
The Ocean level is up first.

edit; W7 is the first box I tried it on, didn't bother firing up older machines with even older versions of windows since if it runs on 7, it'll run on them.

Sadly I only have access this Windows 10 machine and I need it for work, so I can't really mess with it. Out of curiosity, was there music present?

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I've got a couple which I doubt anyone can help with, but this thread has supprised me before.

The first one, is a joke my friend told me 24+ years ago abs he quite possibly made it up:

quote:

A boy is sitting in a good court and a reporter asks to interview him. The reoprter asks him "what are you eating today?" And the boy says "sa-lad". Then the reporter asks "And what did you eat yesterday?" And the boy replies "sa-lad". Then then reporter asks him "what will you eat tomorrow" and the boy replies "sa-lad". Then the reporter asks him "what is your favourite food?" And the boy says "CHIPS".
It's not a funny joke, I'll grant that. But the concept seems a little bit advanced for a 6 year old to come up with. I remember back then assuming he was misremembering a better joke he had heard elsewhere but have never found any reference to it.

The second is an urban legend I read online in the early 00s which I suspect wasn't an urban legend atall and was just she kids Geocities page. It was called The Butcher in the basement:

quote:

A family moved into a new house. They had a young son who wasn't aloud sweets. I've night he woke up and found a taffy next to the bed. He picked it up and saw another taffy which he picked up, then another one. He followed a trail of Taffy's down to the basement.

The next morning when the parents woke up the boy was gone. There was a search party for him but nobody checked the basement!

Years later the family were moving and went down into the basement where they found the boys corpse and a canning card from "The Butcher in the Basement".

Again, not very good but I'm curious to see if it was as bad as I remember

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

runwiled posted:

Sadly I only have access this Windows 10 machine and I need it for work, so I can't really mess with it. Out of curiosity, was there music present?

I don't think so, mostly just the cacophony of sound effects which provide an interesting ambient noise thats not dissimilar to having game music playing.

In case you've never set compatibility mode, all it is is right clicking on the executable, select properties, then click the compatibility tab and make your choice. It's a program specific setting so you aren't messing with anything.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/make-older-apps-or-programs-compatible-with-windows-10-783d6dd7-b439-bdb0-0490-54eea0f45938

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Tea Bone posted:

I've got a couple which I doubt anyone can help with, but this thread has supprised me before.

The first one, is a joke my friend told me 24+ years ago abs he quite possibly made it up:

It's not a funny joke, I'll grant that. But the concept seems a little bit advanced for a 6 year old to come up with. I remember back then assuming he was misremembering a better joke he had heard elsewhere but have never found any reference to it.

The second is an urban legend I read online in the early 00s which I suspect wasn't an urban legend atall and was just she kids Geocities page. It was called The Butcher in the basement:

Again, not very good but I'm curious to see if it was as bad as I remember

So they gave up searching for their missing son? And never smelt anything? And nobody ever went into the basement?

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

kupachek posted:

I don't think so, mostly just the cacophony of sound effects which provide an interesting ambient noise thats not dissimilar to having game music playing.

In case you've never set compatibility mode, all it is is right clicking on the executable, select properties, then click the compatibility tab and make your choice. It's a program specific setting so you aren't messing with anything.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/make-older-apps-or-programs-compatible-with-windows-10-783d6dd7-b439-bdb0-0490-54eea0f45938

Ah! Running in compatibility mode got it working for a bit and sure enough there's no music at all. I guess I really would need to track down that disc. I remember keeping it around for years because of the novel size of the demo CD but I probably threw it out years ago now.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
There's this groovy rear end psychedelic rock song that I'm fairly certain is from the o.g. 1967-1969 era, not sure if British or American

i am capable of humming it, the chorus and verse

i don't think i have the lyrics in memory correct, but the chorus kind of dramatically builds up to this line that is like "we are all just plastic boys and plastic girls....in a world....that doesnt care"

heard it in a work truck years ago and its always bothered me. i have clicked through the discographys of so many classic bands from the period - Strawberry Alarm Clock, the Soft Machine, 13th Floor Elevators, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Scott freakin' Walker, etc etc etc.......

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

runwiled posted:

Ah! Running in compatibility mode got it working for a bit and sure enough there's no music at all. I guess I really would need to track down that disc. I remember keeping it around for years because of the novel size of the demo CD but I probably threw it out years ago now.

This is the only other music for the Space level I've come across so far that doesn't match what I hear when I go through other videos of the final game, is different from the linked video earlier, but I don't know if I'd call it more chill, but has a different energy for sure.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oCi_kWOAFiplRvLUhlNAOsd8A0dbPmQV/view?usp=sharing

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kupachek posted:

This is the only other music for the Space level I've come across so far that doesn't match what I hear when I go through other videos of the final game, is different from the linked video earlier, but I don't know if I'd call it more chill, but has a different energy for sure.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oCi_kWOAFiplRvLUhlNAOsd8A0dbPmQV/view?usp=sharing

There’s also a complete upload of the soundtrack here to compare to https://youtu.be/7amQVPkRK8A

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tea Bone posted:

Where the gently caress is the krusty smiley

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

Scaramouche posted:

Vague memory and can't google at work but I know that song and can hear the sample in my head. Maybe Lords of Acid?

Ohhhh! I think you're on to something!!!!

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

Riptor posted:

Are you thinking of Trip Like I Do by the Crystal Method? "I want you to trip like me and we'll have fun"

Nope, but a great song!

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

Dr. Quarex posted:

Oh, if it is "let's get high, and have fun!" it is my favorite Lords of Acid song with the Indiana Jones[???] "this is catastrophic" sample!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhnUK2ceRqo

(Edit: Also one of the reasons I would never have placed it as being this song is because I always thought the opening sample was a guy...turns out it is one. It is Bill Cosby :pwn:)

Thank you!!!!!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Resident Idiot posted:

Do you want to go through the same thing in 2024? Who was it?

lol I bookmarked it. It was zina lahr. I never even read the article back in the day. It's just some random thing I thought of from a lifetime ago and not knowing it was killing me.

My current one is some tv show and I suspect cartoon mocking italian americans by saying something like they can't afford italian suits or something. I figured it was a burns-ism but there's not enough old-timey speak if I'm remembering it right. Which I'm probably not

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Milo and POTUS posted:

Where the gently caress is the krusty smiley

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

i really want a tat of this wikihow dog but i'm going crazy trying to find the original, uncropped full resolution image

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

rap music posted:

i really want a tat of this wikihow dog but i'm going crazy trying to find the original, uncropped full resolution image

Looks like the original images were 670x503 pixels but fuckin' WikiHow replaced them with different images at some point: https://www.wikihow.com/Handle-a-Dog-Attack
LAME

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

rap music posted:

Pretty sure that's an evolutionary mid-step between whales and wolves. Possibly a misstep.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Outrail posted:

Pretty sure that's an evolutionary mid-step between whales and wolves. Possibly a misstep.

Return to sea, dog

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Dr. Quarex posted:

Oh dang, I am in the middle of watching every Nick Knacks episode, I am stoked if this is true

I mostly say this because I have vague memories of him posting his stuff in the online content creator/internet critic threads under the same name a few years back. Hbomberguy also did the same thing, posted like one then-topical video on a bunch of Gamergate/PUA chuds and the rest is history. once upon a time he used to just be some dude making big obnoxious effort posts defending the Star Wars prequels :allears:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's some fullsize images from the rest of the article in case that helps anyone else out in the search:

Here's the exact same dog in a different illustration which I assume was from a different article:

The internet wayback machine is struggling with the page urls but seems to have kept snapshots of the image urls if you can find that somehow

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

This is just before it's skull peels open like the dog in The Thing, isn't it?

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Outrail posted:

So they gave up searching for their missing son? And never smelt anything? And nobody ever went into the basement?

That's actually the part that makes me want to find it again. I remember it creeping me out as a kid/early teen but like to think even child me would have seen through that gaping plot hole. I'm curious if it really did just gloss over the whole basement thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I mostly say this because I have vague memories of him posting his stuff in the online content creator/internet critic threads under the same name a few years back. Hbomberguy also did the same thing, posted like one then-topical video on a bunch of Gamergate/PUA chuds and the rest is history. once upon a time he used to just be some dude making big obnoxious effort posts defending the Star Wars prequels :allears:

Poparena left around the time of the yikesaroo thread but was here for a while before that. Nick Knacks is world-class.