Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair enough. Though I forget, is there ever a point where you’d necessarily have to use it (like for getting a Red Ring or something)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yes, red rings were moved around into "new" (previously out-of-bounds scrapped collision retrofitted to be accessible) areas only accessible via Jade Ghost.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah right. In that case I agree, Ghost sucks.

I did like the fact that you now have infinite lives ala Forces though and hope that becomes the norm for Sonic platforming games from here on.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Is the original music back in Ultimate? Because Colors had the best soundtrack overall, so when I've heard they replaced it I was devastated.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hXvYTW-3h8

I've been praying that this would get a What Happened.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

I did like the fact that you now have infinite lives ala Forces though and hope that becomes the norm for Sonic platforming games from here on.
Funny, it's literally the reason I refuse to consider the remake. Going forward is whatever (I'd prefer it wasn't the norm without something else worth exploring for to replace 1up pickups), but why would you mess with a working formula?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
lives have never "worked" and should be retroactively eradicated from all videogames

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

Funny, it's literally the reason I refuse to consider the remake. Going forward is whatever (I'd prefer it wasn't the norm without something else worth exploring for to replace 1up pickups), but why would you mess with a working formula?

Huh, it’s rare to see someone actually defend the concept of limited lives. Personally I’ve never cared for it myself and am glad most modern platformers seem to be doing away with said system.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Limited lives have always sucked outside of games with an infinite gameplay loop, and should at most be an optional feature.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

Huh, it’s rare to see someone actually defend the concept of limited lives. Personally I’ve never cared for it myself and am glad most modern platformers seem to be doing away with said system.
It depends on the game, really. Short arcadey experiences work best with them, long-form games tend to work better without them. I think the WiiS2 version of Unleashed struck an interesting balance with its "your lives reset at the start of every stage and you just have to clear with that + whatever spares you find in the stage itself, but also you can increase the number they're reset to by doing optional(?) side content" setup, turning a longform game into a series of short arcadey experiences instead - but nothing else I can think of followed up on that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I started playing Sonic Colors, and it's pretty bad. The going fast is fine, but everything else is bad. Sonic jumps absurdly slowly, so the jumping platforming parts are terribly dull and unfun. Especially when they involve moving platforms. The combat is just mashing B. I can see in theory how it would be cool, Sonic is so fast he just smashes right through the bad guys, but in practice it's quite dull. And I don't get the point of the alternate moving options. All of the ones I've unlocked so far involve being able to ignore or skip parts of the level. And not in a fun way, like you can kinda break the level and do what you like, the places you can uses them are very restricted.

Also, Sonic is a fairly uncompelling lead.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Also, Sonic is a fairly uncompelling lead.

based solely on colors, i would agree. it has some of the worst dialogue in the series

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

lives have never "worked" and should be retroactively eradicated from all videogames
Counterpoint: the 1-Up jingle is good

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Pants Donkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWw-m1ww2So

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Pants Donkey posted:

While I'm making statements about my beliefs against the grain, it kind of annoyed me how the Chaos Emerald Get jingle became just the 1up jingle instead. Then again, the games that do it don't really have special stages to allow for actual chaos emerald getting - except Heroes, I think that uses the jingle for 1ups but does have Special Stages (and some of the worst ones too).

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1467977999832158208

gonna be something Sonic at the doritos man's ad show from the look of it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sonic is going to speak out about Bobby Kotick.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't care if we're a year out, show us Frontiers drat you.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Why is Geoff Keighly talking like he wants to suck off Sonic the Hedgehog

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Augus posted:

He does, and he has.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Dorito Pope has no limits.

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica

Augus posted:

he's a marketing man, sucking off the brands is his job

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I am hoping that this Sonic game has less Sonic then the more recent entries

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Caidin posted:

I, too, pine for a return to Tails Adventures.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

I, too, pine for a return to Tails Adventures.

They were good!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

they should kill sonic

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Augus posted:

they should kill sonic

They did that in 06, then he got better.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Augus posted:

they should kill sonic

Sonic Storybook Series returns with Sonic And The Passion Of The Christ.

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica

Funky Valentine posted:

Sonic Storybook Series returns with Sonic And The Passion Of The Christ.

Crush 40 doing Jesus Christ Superstar covers

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Sonic is just alright with me.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Caidin posted:

BRING ON THE DOWNUNDA FREEDOM FIGHTERS

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So this Sonic guy, I hear he can really move. Confirm/deny

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sonic kills Geoff live on stage in a hostile takeover of the show, which results in such an amazing impromptu Crush 40 concert that Sonic is cleared of all charges.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pants Donkey posted:

Sonic kills Geoff live on stage in a hostile takeover of the show, which results in such an amazing impromptu Crush 40 concert that Sonic is cleared of all charges.

finally something good to come of the existence of geoff keighley

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Geoff Snively

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tails’ current game VA will indeed be reprising her role in the second Sonic movie:

https://twitter.com/VOColleen/status/1468305802687483911

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm honestly shocked but that rules

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I mean she is a va vet of 20 plus years.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

I mean she is a va vet of 20 plus years.

Plus she voiced him at the end of the first movie so it makes sense from a continuity standpoint as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oh yeah, there another movie coming out. That's what the game awards thing will be, won't it? In which case we should also get to see/hear Knuckles, which would be neat.