Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Srixon irons own and are classy and restrained instead of the obnoxious poo poo Callaway and TM pinch out every single year, year after year.

745-565 owner since 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Agreed. I've been playing the 785s for the last 2 years. They're incredibly similar to my old Mizuno MP64s in feel, performance, and looks.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I get a pass for the week and have to work three or four 5 hour shifts. That's totally fine. But when I'm not working, I'm still supposed to wear the hat and act as a PGA Ambassador. :confused:

"Volunteers pay a $130.00 (plus applicable tax & fees) Volunteer Package fee. In exchange for this fee, volunteers receive:

Volunteer Uniform (One (1) golf shirt, jacket, & New Era headwear item)
Meal & Water Vouchers
Official PGA Volunteer Drawstring Bag
Complimentary Parking"
I got selected to be a walking scorer for next year's Women's PGA Championship here in DC! :woop: Looking forward to seeing up close how the best of the best manage their game in a major.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

dang where do you go to sign up for that stuff? i should do that next time they have a big thing here. probably too late to sign up for southern hills in may though

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Weedle posted:

dang where do you go to sign up for that stuff? i should do that next time they have a big thing here. probably too late to sign up for southern hills in may though
I was watching coverage of this year's Women's PGA and saw it was going to be here at Congressional next year, so when I went to look for tickets I saw something about signing up to be a volunteer.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Jin Young Ko hit 63 consecutive greens-in-regulation at the CME Globe. Starting at the 10th hole in the first round, she hit every drat one. :eyepop:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Welp, after 2 months, the Ryder Cup SIM 2 Max I won in an Instagram contest finally arrived. I know some of you were interested in buying it before but it's been a while and I didn't think it would have a shaft. 10.5*, comes with adjustment wrench, shaft is Ventus Blue 5S, Lamkin Crossline 360 grip so pretty standard off the rack.

I don't know how much I should ask but I'd like to put the proceeds toward a TSi3 since my 915D3 is long in the tooth. Does $400 shipped seem reasonable?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Question about whether to upgrade. I got a buyer on GolfWRX for the SIM2 Max and would probably net $365 after Paypal fees and shipping. Alternatively, someone offered to do a straight up head swap for a TSi 9*. I haven't demoed the TSi but always assumed I would go with the 8*.

The complicating factor is that I only played 1 round of golf this year. Sure, I intend to play more next year, but who knows if that will actually happen. And if it doesn't, the next generation of Titleist drivers will be out in the fall. Thoughts?

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I'd personally take the cash and put it toward next year or getting the TSi head I'd want. Is there a way you can go hit the Titleist offerings and see which one you hit best?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Capco posted:

I'd personally take the cash and put it toward next year or getting the TSi head I'd want. Is there a way you can go hit the Titleist offerings and see which one you hit best?
Yeah there's a really good store near me but their hitting bays are pretty access controlled, not like PGA Tour Superstore where you can just hop in. In any case, I decided to take the cash since it's very likely I wouldn't start playing much golf until May or June and Titleist usually announces their new drivers in August. At most I would play 10 rounds at that point and I definitely won't be playing in any competitions, so probably better to wait.

I'm not a huge fan of James Robinson but this is the only Youtube review comparing the 2 drivers and it pretty much convinced me to stay put:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgdfSBhWiuY

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

This is kind of a long shot, but I figured I'd ask here:

For any other Garmin R10 owners, which do you prefer - E6 or Home Tee Hero? Home Tee's way cheaper (100 / year vs. 300 / year) and I can play local courses, but the numbers seem...way off compared to E6? Graphically E6 looks drat good, even on an iPad. Do people even play E6 online?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Brooks and Bryson is on.

Brooks so far has the personality of a rock lol

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I hope this is the last Match like this. Holy poo poo is it boring listening to this brainwave crap.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Apparently the players can hear the announcers through the entire time including during their strokes. :rolleyes:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Welp, decided almost 6 years and 300+ rounds was a good run for my current set of Vapor Fly Pro irons and scheduled a fitting in 2 weeks for a new set. What’s the hotness in irons right now that I should be looking at?

Was it someone in here that was interested in the 2 iron I have? It might be up for sale soon.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mattfl posted:

Welp, decided almost 6 years and 300+ rounds was a good run for my current set of Vapor Fly Pro irons and scheduled a fitting in 2 weeks for a new set. What’s the hotness in irons right now that I should be looking at?

Was it someone in here that was interested in the 2 iron I have? It might be up for sale soon.

Look at the srixon range. They're loved by pretty much everyone that touches them.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Just got back from my Arizona golf trip. Quick reviews:
Kierland GC, Scottsdale: Expensive for what it is, typical resort course. Some interesting layouts, wont be anything I'll remember - 92
Boulders - South, Carefree: Cool layout, rad views, really probably one of the nicer courses I'll play. Glad I went there and want to do the North course next years - 92
Talking Stick - Oodham, Scottsdale: Liked this, but it would be cooler if it was 20 bucks less. Fairways were pretty meh, greeens were good. Would play it's sister course - 91
Camelback - Ambiente, Scottsdale: This was one of the hardest courses I've played, tight fairways, tight bunkers, crazy greens. I'd play this over and over again if I could, outstanding and challenging. I never got comfortable here and my score backs that up - 99
Rancho Manana, Scottsdale: Perfect blend of challenge, upkeep and cost. Its probably relating more to the fact I shot my lowest round ever here, but I could play this every day. Tons of variation in altitude. Really fun. - 83

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Look at the srixon range. They're loved by pretty much everyone that touches them.

I'm def interested in hitting those and some Mizuno's. Not sure if I wanna go full blade or more of a player's iron.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

mattfl posted:

I'm def interested in hitting those and some Mizuno's. Not sure if I wanna go full blade or more of a player's iron.

Run right at those Srixon* 7 series for a test drive. Playable for pro's and also miraculously forgiving enough for 12 hcp goons like me, especially since I only went 6-PW with them. I have the 5 series turbo launchers now, though, because I barely practice or play anymore. If you have a steep swing and hit down on the ball the sole is amazing too.

*no it's not a deodorant or male enhancement pill!

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 6, 2021

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Keyser_Soze posted:

If you have a steep swing and hit down on the ball the sole is amazing too.

*no it's not a deodorant or male enhancement pill!

I have a very very descending swing and very much hit down, ever seen someone take a divot with their 3 wood? Come play with me and you will lol

Will def put these at the top of the list!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
if you aren't on a <5 handicap don't touch blade irons. Not to say they aren't nice to hit but there's virtually no benefit to them for the average player. I can shape my old, giant cavity back irons from 2004, you don't need blades to change the shape of a shot but it is very useful to have less dispersion when you mishit one.

fwiw I hit off 10 and I just bought a full set of ZX5's because I found that they had a good mix of range and controllability. I might shape a shot once a round, if that.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

abigserve posted:

if you aren't on a <5 handicap don't touch blade irons. Not to say they aren't nice to hit but there's virtually no benefit to them for the average player. I can shape my old, giant cavity back irons from 2004, you don't need blades to change the shape of a shot but it is very useful to have less dispersion when you mishit one.

fwiw I hit off 10 and I just bought a full set of ZX5's because I found that they had a good mix of range and controllability. I might shape a shot once a round, if that.

Currently a 3.2, I'll hit them but will most likely stick with some sort of players irons in the end I imagine.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

abigserve posted:

if you aren't on a <5 handicap don't touch blade irons. Not to say they aren't nice to hit but there's virtually no benefit to them for the average player.

I'm gonna smash the agree button on this over and over and over.

I played a perfectly serviceable set of cavity backs for most of my youth. When I actually got on the high school golf team (woohoo for the nerdiest varsity letter pin short of mathletes), I bullishly switched to blades. Specifically, my dad's Yonex Rekin 10 irons; they were easily half the size of my existing clubs with a quarter of the sweet spot.

Mud golf or not (and I mean mud golf, I got gamesmanshipped into not taking relief from standing water in the middle of a par 3, they carted us between holes and the water was over the floorboards, etc), I shot a 70 in my first match. On 9 holes. I finished the season and didn't pick up clubs again for several years.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

abigserve posted:

Counterpoint: It's a huge change going from cavity back to blades, which will require a readjustment to your swing when you switch. So you should actually start with blades which will make you learn how to actually hit the ball well rather than using a crutch.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
split the diff and get muscle backs?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The place I'm going will have me hit everything, so my decision will really be what I hit the best.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mattfl posted:

The place I'm going will have me hit everything, so my decision will really be what I hit the best.

No!! You must have firm misconceptions before you begin. Are you even a real golfer?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

torgeaux posted:

No!! You must have firm misconceptions before you begin. Are you even a real golfer?

I was in the PGA superstore the other day and they had 3 sets of TM P790s in the used section, I almost, almost just said gently caress it and grabbed those because they are sexy...but I figured if I'm going to drop a grand on a new set of irons I better get fit properly for them.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

torgeaux posted:

Lol. New tread title pls.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Try? Before you = buy!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

mattfl posted:

Currently a 3.2, I'll hit them but will most likely stick with some sort of players irons in the end I imagine.

Look - off 3? Hit what you want and don't listen to me. If I was that close to scratch I would be seriously considering blades

Anyway I hope you appreciate my unsolicited buying advice yw

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Most pro's don't even bother with blades anymore. Koepka is playing Srixon 7 series, Matt will crush those things.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
New Mizuno irons "pro" series are dropping real soon, i think.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tiger just announced he's playing with Charlie in the PNC next weekend. My hospital system has a sponsorship with them so time to reach out to see if anyone can hook me up!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

From reddit......

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

charlie uses the same grip his dad has on his scotty :3:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That’s bc the pingman is the goat putter grip

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

High of almost 70 with some light wind* today, exciting times.

*20-25mph sustained with 50mph gusts lol

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Same here, but it poured all morning so the courses nearby are all probably mud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

It was 79 today and my face got sun burned.

I had 2 eagle putts today and didn’t convert either of them. Tap in birdie on one and 3 putt par the other. Was -1 through 9 and proceeded to go bogey/bogey/double/bogey on the back, par’d the rest and birdied 18. Oh what could have been.