Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

That’s the whole story, I played through the dinosaur and the desert level wondering when the game would give me a tutorial or cutscene that unlocks all of Mario’s really cool jumps, like the hat dive or the long jump, and finally I got frustrated and watched a video and realized I had all those moves already and was like “whutevwr mario sux”
Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the last book i bought was the sonic deluxe encyclo-speed-ia, which was supposed to be out by now but got delayed

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Bust Rodd posted:

That’s the whole story, I played through the dinosaur and the desert level wondering when the game would give me a tutorial or cutscene that unlocks all of Mario’s really cool jumps, like the hat dive or the long jump, and finally I got frustrated and watched a video and realized I had all those moves already and was like “whutevwr mario sux”

I literally haven’t played a Mario game since getting all the stars in Mario 64 when I was like 12, lol

Oh well, back to perfectly no damaging the hardest Sekiro bosses or getting SSS ranks in Devil May Cry 5, Mario is too tough for me!

not enough sensory duress

Also, to clarify, I don’t dislike books or not own/read books. I have a big fat bookshelf full of real books, lotta big classics and my favorite fantasy stuff like Terry Pratchet and Ursula Le Guin.

I’ve just found over the last 5-6 years, if I’ve got a few hours to kill, I’m just reaching for my Switch or my Dual shock before I’m loading up Amazon to search for a new book.

I recently bought the complete Hellboy omnibus as a Black Friday gift to myself and just laying in bed holding a physical book in my hands last night was positively old school but I was still reading for like 3-4 hours last night.

Last book I bought before that was probably… Norm Macdonald’s Memoir?

:mrwhite:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i havent read for a while because that was an activity i did on the bus or at a cafe or something. rear end!!!!!!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Looper posted:

the last book i bought was the sonic deluxe encyclo-speed-ia, which was supposed to be out by now but got delayed

I don't give a poo poo about anything Sonic related to ever buy that book, but that's a quality name.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I literally haven’t played a Mario game since getting all the stars in Mario 64 when I was like 12, lol

Oh well, back to perfectly no damaging the hardest Sekiro bosses or getting SSS ranks in Devil May Cry 5, Mario is too tough for me!

not enough sensory duress

Also, to clarify, I don’t dislike books or not own/read books. I have a big fat bookshelf full of real books, lotta big classics and my favorite fantasy stuff like Terry Pratchet and Ursula Le Guin.

I’ve just found over the last 5-6 years, if I’ve got a few hours to kill, I’m just reaching for my Switch or my Dual shock before I’m loading up Amazon to search for a new book.

I recently bought the complete Hellboy omnibus as a Black Friday gift to myself and just laying in bed holding a physical book in my hands last night was positively old school but I was still reading for like 3-4 hours last night.

Last book I bought before that was probably… Norm Macdonald’s Memoir?

Bust Rodd

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Desperately looking for Mario’s skill tree, getting increasingly frustrated at not gaining any skill points to unlock the long jump

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
we clearly need to bring back manuals

ideally with fanciful artwork that barely represents what you'll be seeing in the game or features that were cut after all the manuals came off of the printing press

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also the magic of Canadian manuals where the already shakily translated story and instructions are truncated even further so that half of the booklet can be in French.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I’ve always felt there was a severe lack of level grinding in mario

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Augus posted:

There's a lot of mario rpgs if you're into that

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Bloop posted:

There's a lot of mario rpgs if you're into that

there is no level grinding in mario rpgs

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

YggiDee posted:

Also the magic of Canadian manuals where the already shakily translated story and instructions are truncated even further so that half of the booklet can be in French.

by the end most game manuals i saw were in the 12 page/6 language format with no images or color

the only things that gave any effort were, oddly enough, the digital manuals for the PS Vita

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
You can grind for coins if you want to buy all the outfits

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

You can grind for coins if you want to buy all the outfits

Why bother if those shirts and hats don’t have stats or skills on ‘em?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I want to equip the Knight armor on Mario how much endurance do I need so I won't fat roll

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Augus posted:

there is no level grinding in mario rpgs

sure there is, at least if you want there to be

It's certainly not necessary

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Bring back manuals so I can huff that smell of the ink and paper.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Waffle! posted:

Bring back manuals so I can huff that smell of the ink and paper.

whatever that probably-carcinogenic smell that comes off of a new system when you first open it is my favorite

probably something having to do with the plastic or plastic-ey matrix of PCBs degassing a little or something

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

My favourite NES manuals were the ones for Super Mario Bros 2 and 3. I miss looking at all the neat artwork and little write-ups for every enemy. :smith:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
As a kid I remember liking manuals for gussying up my imagination a little. Like when you got a Dragon Warrior game and it came with illustrations of each of the weapons that you never actually saw in the game ever.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My local video rental place included manuals with their games and so I got Mega Man X and I dutifully recorded and annotated all my passwords in the little notes section so that the next kid could have all the powers and energy tank upgrades and the next time I rented it some shithead bitch tore out the notes page!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Augus posted:

Super Paper Mario has your back, friend. Max level is 99!

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

The Bloop posted:

sure there is, at least if you want there to be

It's certainly not necessary

Paper Mario doesn’t really allow grinding, eventually the enemies in each area will just stop giving you experience for battling them

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just a heads up that Hotshot Racing is currently 80% off on the eShop. I've never played it, but I have some store credit which means it'll cost me $2. I can't pass that up.

Edit: Played it for about 20 minutes, and yeah, it's good. Kind of what I wish Virtual Racing would have been.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 7, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember as a kid thinking the people who made the instruction booklet for the Genesis version of Jurassic Park were morons because in the section explaining the password system they accidentally left in the password to the volcano stage. Was a good decade before I realized they probably intentionally did that.

Anyway, the best manual was the Tetris manual which showed the names of the Tetrominos.

Yeah, I know it's fake.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Paper Mario doesn’t really allow grinding, eventually the enemies in each area will just stop giving you experience for battling them

That's true but I'm pretty sure you can still fight 1xp enemies forever in some of the Mario&Luigi games

not that you'd want to

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1468265991557861383?t=Cx7bj5wj2Wv3Hu3OT0lOyg&s=19

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Monkey Fracas posted:

we clearly need to bring back manuals
I liked manuals because they explained how to save your game, for games that supported saves.

Now it's a damned guessing game. Does this do autosaves? When? Are checkpoints ephemeral? Do I need to look out for save totems?

It would also make it clear that saving is broken in Sonic Colors: Ultimate instead of "everytime you start the game it's a New Game" being the excused behavior.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

if it helps basically every game ive ever played that autosaves has a big "this is the autosave symbol DON'T TURN OFF YOUR SYSTEM IF YOU SEE IT" message pop up before the title screen

i assume most people click right past it though as they've been trained to skip opening cutscenes

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Erg posted:

if it helps basically every game ive ever played that autosaves has a big "this is the autosave symbol DON'T TURN OFF YOUR SYSTEM IF YOU SEE IT" message pop up before the title screen
Sure, but that doesn't help if you never see the actual symbol in game.

I mean some games do autosaves intuitively so it's not a big deal unless you're intentionally trying to save scum. And then there's Sonic Colors: Ultimate.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I have weird brain worms regarding saving in games that was trained over years of classic style hard saves and none of this auto save/checkpoint nonsense. I still find it difficult to this day to let games load from auto saves after I die because as an example I would always reload in GTA so my death counter would be 0 still at the end of the game. I don’t like it now how in more and more genres of game you have fuzzy save logic where even when you reload ‘hard’ saves it will still count collectibles you picked up before you reloaded, or how lots of objects/pickups won’t be where they were before you saved.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

It's also not that hard, especially in modern times when memory card size constraints are not an issue, to save to a temporary location and only update the save file's reference to it as a final, atomic operation.

I don't know why that isn't standard practice; it's certainly a requirement in my industry.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

*saves game manually*
*saves again just to be sure*

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The only game that hosed me on saving in recent history was Yakuza 0, which I thought saved automatically but turns out you have to go to a phone booth! So had to replay that opening 90 mins again LOL

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Waffle! posted:

*saves game manually*
*saves again just to be sure*

For me its because my short term memory is so bad that I cant remember if I just did it or not

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

first-party SNES games had the best manuals.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Butterfly Valley posted:

I have weird brain worms regarding saving in games that was trained over years of classic style hard saves and none of this auto save/checkpoint nonsense. I still find it difficult to this day to let games load from auto saves after I die because as an example I would always reload in GTA so my death counter would be 0 still at the end of the game.

This is insane

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I totally forgot Yoshi morphed into vehicles... I gotta replay Yoshi's Island soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i bring this up every time someone mentions old manuals but my favorite was always snowboard kids 2, for the cute 4koma comics about each of the items