Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Yeah sorry I should have said "could shear.." instead of "will".

My point remains the risk is there and it's not worth rolling the dice on, imo.

This is all relative though. Presumably you've been outside your house at least once since March 2020. That's not a gotcha, but surely you acknowledge that there's a calculation that you take in terms of risk. It's going to have a million different variables involved, and for sure there's going to be cases that are so outside the norm that they're clearly reckless or overly cautious to pretty much everyone, but anything beyond that is really hard to judge on a person by person level.

Is eating on a patio when you're in a well-vaccinated area OK? What about if you're in New Zealand? China?

Is a 90 year old being willing to take a risk to see family after being vaccinated alright, considering there's a not insignificant chance that they'll never really get to if they wait for COVID cases to get low enough?

I agree insofar as anyone just not really paying attention to the risks and doing whatever isn't acting responsibly but "any action other than living like a hermit until COVID is completely gone" is looking like it'll be equivalent to "always live like a hermit", and there's legitimate reasons that people might have different risk calculations IMO.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Just Another Lurker posted:

On a saner topic; which zombie movie would best encapsulate the utter stupidity of humanity during a pandemic?

I was thinking 'Shaun of the dead' myself.

I only wish we could run around hitting antivaxxers with a shovel/cricket bat

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

enki42 posted:

Is a 90 year old being willing to take a risk to see family after being vaccinated alright, considering there's a not insignificant chance that they'll never really get to if they wait for COVID cases to get low enough acceptable?

All the 90 year olds I’ve ever known were pretty drat YOLO at that point in their lives.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

All the 90 year olds I’ve ever known were pretty drat YOLO at that point in their lives.

Yeah the attitude of everyone I've ever met 90+ is "Living is nice don't get me wrong but I really don't give a poo poo if I die."

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

liz posted:

Welp. Tomorrow I have to work from the office for the first time since March 2020 in order to appease the corporate gods.

There’s no vaccine requirement or anything right now sooooo :cripes:

Congrats on having immunity in two weeks to a virus that won't exist in six weeks

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
People who can’t work from home blinking at the live like a hermit stuff like “and eat what?”

Someone described the UK pandemic as “the middle classes working from home while the poor bring them stuff” and yeh.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

And speaking of which, a hearty congratulations to the UK for breaking 50k daily cases!

We're well on track to hit our previous peak, except this time it lasts forever!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

enki42 posted:

This is all relative though. Presumably you've been outside your house at least once since March 2020. That's not a gotcha, but surely you acknowledge that there's a calculation that you take in terms of risk. It's going to have a million different variables involved, and for sure there's going to be cases that are so outside the norm that they're clearly reckless or overly cautious to pretty much everyone, but anything beyond that is really hard to judge on a person by person level.

Is eating on a patio when you're in a well-vaccinated area OK? What about if you're in New Zealand? China?

Is a 90 year old being willing to take a risk to see family after being vaccinated alright, considering there's a not insignificant chance that they'll never really get to if they wait for COVID cases to get low enough?

I agree insofar as anyone just not really paying attention to the risks and doing whatever isn't acting responsibly but "any action other than living like a hermit until COVID is completely gone" is looking like it'll be equivalent to "always live like a hermit", and there's legitimate reasons that people might have different risk calculations IMO.

Right and I assume when they said "living like a hermit" they didn't mean building a cabin in the woods and shooting at anyone that comes within 100m of it. I assume they meant avoiding crowds, social gatherings, and being out in public whenever possible.

Keep in mind that it's not only your own health you risk when you risk exposure. It's the health of everyone you come into contact with and everyone they come into contact with and so on and so on. Every person that stays at home whenever they can is one less person out there spreading the virus.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Right and I assume when they said "living like a hermit" they didn't mean building a cabin in the woods and shooting at anyone that comes within 100m of it. I assume they meant avoiding crowds, social gatherings, and being out in public whenever possible.

Keep in mind that it's not only your own health you risk when you risk exposure. It's the health of everyone you come into contact with and everyone they come into contact with and so on and so on. Every person that stays at home whenever they can is one less person out there spreading the virus.

Right, but my overall point is that it's impossible to draw a line in the sand of what activities are acceptable and which ones are too risky. Very few people are actually the stereotypes of "haven't left my basement since March 2020" and "gently caress and suck at Denny's twice daily", and these arguments always turn into people assuming the person they're arguing with is one of those extremes.

Everyone is in different places with different restrictions, and has different personal circumstances that are going to inform what choices they are willing to make. So long as they're actually thinking about risk and not being entirely reckless, or going to such extremes that it is clearly having impacts on their mental health, it's hard to pass judgement without having a lot of details about where they're coming from.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The real trick is to buy and live in a Denny's so you can do both.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wasn't there things about even people with a mild case being found to have ground glass opacity in their lung scans later? The common symptoms of being sick are mostly caused by our own immune systems, not the pathogen. Covid the circulatory system disease can do minor organ damage regardless of whether your immune system generates 'flu-like symptoms' or not. All we can do is hope the damage heals rather than leaving a bunch of scar tissue in your organs.

Scarred organs leave a clear method for a mild case of covid to knock years off your life later. If the scar tissue means you have 10% less lung capacity or 10% less kidney capacity but are otherwise healthy you might not even notice. But it could come back to haunt you years later when you aren't healthy.

Hopefully that doesn't happen. :shrug:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

10% reduced lung capacity for the world means we're all converting less O2 to CO2. finally an actionable way to fight climate change.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Trying to get the booster and cvs has this cool trick where you sign up and they cancel your appointment 5 minutes later because apparently they don't have any boosters available but the system is too stupid to check and see before they provide a time slot.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I can't really get on people's case for insisting on going to restaurants. We all have our favorite thing that covid has made less desirable or even outright risky to do, but after a certain point it becomes a question of how long you wanna live your life not doing that thing. I don't think it's so terrible to take a middleground approach of monitoring vaccine efficacy vs known variants and also monitoring case loads in your area and then calculating your risk/benefit from there. And of course being as safe as possible when you do go out and taking all precautions.

I've had times during the pandemic where I've completely locked down and times where I've been a little more out and about and it's usually dependent on those two factors and how badly I want to do something.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
im the medical field's critically acclaimed covid-19 virus, ask me anything

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

why don't you go by your real name sars-cov-2 are you ashamed of your heritage

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0163445321000438
I thought there was also a much bigger Kaiser study, but not seeing it now.

Anecdotally, I've had a bunch of friends (vaxed bartenders/etc. in NYC) catch it multiple times, anywhere from like 6 weeks to a few months apart. Seems like something you definitely don't want to do if you can avoid it.

This *seems* to be a study of why these particular people suffered reinfection, and suffered worse results from the second infection (it specifically mentions they had considerably lower-than-expected antibodies after recovery), rather than any proof that reinfection is common and that reinfection normally leads to worse results.

Completely agree that reinfection is something you don't want but you're still at lower, not higher or equivalent, risk of catching it if you have a prior infection.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

enki42 posted:

Not really. Tech is improving (paxlovid, better tests, nasal vaccines). We're learning (painfully) how to treat an active infection for better outcomes. We're also slowly learning about damage, long and short term. The longer you can put off getting COVID, the better you'll be equipped to gracefully survive it.

I'm fine with staying at home playing video games and letting other people sign themselves up for, "what are the long term effects of covid" studies in the meantime. Thank you for your service.

And I realize I say this from a place of privilege. I have a computer toucher job, I get groceries delivered and I have a house with a back yard. It's a lot easier for me to withdraw. But anyone who YOLOs airborne diabetes at this point with a Puckish "life is full of risk" outlook is ignoring that this thing hasn't been out long enough for us to even know what you're risking.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 7, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

imo not having a hyper-privileged homer job will absolutely make you less conservative about the risks. I really don't think that attitude is coming from a place of ignorance of the possible outcomes, it's more from having to endure this poo poo every day and realizing that if society isn't going to help you avoid getting sick at your 9-5 then you might as well tack on an hour to do something you actually enjoy

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 8, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

enki42 posted:

I tend to see a neat juxtaposition or whatever when looking at opposing positions on this issue. The "life is full of risk" guy looks at risk and shrugs and applies that across the board to everyday actions for an individual's risk and outcomes, while the "we're talking about death here" guy looks at the same scenario and says to play it as safe as you can within reason and make it count when you go out, for the sake of risk and outcomes at the group level. I feel like there is a significant difference in understanding how communicability works here.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm grumpy because I have to work and when I come home I can't even play the new Final Fantasy because not only do homers get to dodge the plague they also get to keep me from relaxing too

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

signalnoise posted:

I tend to see a neat juxtaposition or whatever when looking at opposing positions on this issue. The "life is full of risk" guy looks at risk and shrugs and applies that across the board to everyday actions for an individual's risk and outcomes, while the "we're talking about death here" guy looks at the same scenario and says to play it as safe as you can within reason and make it count when you go out, for the sake of risk and outcomes at the group level. I feel like there is a significant difference in understanding how communicability works here.

the YOLO paradox

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Completely agree that reinfection is something you don't want but you're still at lower, not higher or equivalent, risk of catching it if you have a prior infection.
I didn't say you're at a higher risk of catching it -- it's lower temporarily. However, if you do catch it again, it's typically worse than the first time. I know the bigger study was posted itt, it's driving me nuts

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
My wife works with some chudly owners and their super chud son. He flew to London for a week last week and came back with a "head cold", but don't worry, he got a negative covid test. Yesterday, he was complaining about not being able to taste his breakfast burrito. The owners finally made him take a test and sent a text to the office that said "we're so sick of this virus stuff, but if any one is uncomfortable, you may work from home the next few days." Then they texted back that he came back positive and they are now in damage control because they exposed an office full of coworkers that are at varying stages of risk.

gently caress living in a deep red spot in a blue state. The dipshits are even more proud of their stupidity here.

This is coming off the wife's parents, who are vaxxed, deciding to go to mexico and coming back with 'head colds', spending thanksgiving with us, then testing positive.

tensai fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 8, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

learnincurve posted:

The irony is that smokers and ex-smokers of tobacco and weed in general catch covid less. Two reasons; first they have more of an awareness of how smoke spreads outwards and their brains make the automatic connection between that and a virus spreading, and second because non-smokers keep more than 2m away from them.

Studies to that effect were retracted for being tobacco industry puff pieces.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
You heard of daredevil??? i'm AIRdevil. Thanks to smoking, i can hear the air, and avoid the germs

Set
Oct 30, 2005

On a saner topic; which zombie movie would best encapsulate the utter stupidity of humanity during a pandemic?

I have gotten a brand new appreciation for 28 Weeks Later.

Though then again the original Dawn of the Dead is literally about people in quarantine risking (and then losing) their lives because they can't live without "going to the mall", which I guess was that time periods version of "having to go to Applebees". Most zombie movies have the fatal flaw of the people in charge most of the time actually trying to save lives or stopping the spread of the zombies, not that thing that everyone complains about where someone bitten tries to hide the bite. I am actually really looking forward to the next crop of zombie movies, and media in general, finding inspiration in the response to this pandemic. Some really goddamn dark poo poo is going to crawl out of that well.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Set posted:

I have gotten a brand new appreciation for 28 Weeks Later.

Though then again the original Dawn of the Dead is literally about people in quarantine risking (and then losing) their lives because they can't live without "going to the mall", which I guess was that time periods version of "having to go to Applebees". Most zombie movies have the fatal flaw of the people in charge most of the time actually trying to save lives or stopping the spread of the zombies, not that thing that everyone complains about where someone bitten tries to hide the bite. I am actually really looking forward to the next crop of zombie movies, and media in general, finding inspiration in the response to this pandemic. Some really goddamn dark poo poo is going to crawl out of that well.

Fido, because it's about people "learning to live with" Zombies. Until the inevitable happens.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
"CDC says over 35,000 anime fans have already been contacted" isnt the headline I expected to see today, but I was obviously mistaken

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/12/officials-trying-to-contact-all-53k-anime-convention-attendees-in-omicron-probe

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bad Purchase posted:

10% reduced lung capacity for the world means we're all converting less O2 to CO2. finally an actionable way to fight climate change.

Nah those people just wind up breathing harder, it's a net gain in co2

But dead people emit way less co2 so Republicans are helping out the environment

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol even today the tobacco industry continues to be the greatest evil, other industries try hard but don't even come close. Just consistent A Game evil at all times

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

QuarkJets posted:

Nah those people just wind up breathing harder, it's a net gain in co2

not necessarily, if they get winded easily and it leads to a less active lifestyle they’ll probably burn less oxygen overall, maybe even eat less too since metabolic equilibrium will be lower in calories (or just get fatter, who am i kidding). good point about death though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This *seems* to be a study of why these particular people suffered reinfection, and suffered worse results from the second infection (it specifically mentions they had considerably lower-than-expected antibodies after recovery), rather than any proof that reinfection is common and that reinfection normally leads to worse results.

Generally speaking people are at lower risk for several months after a prior infection but that's not guaranteed, a small percentage of people don't have much of an antibody response after infection or immunization.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Not a zombie movie, but it's the airlock scene from that show with Hugh Laurie.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Seems like if you get it, there's a 50% chance you build some sort of immunity to it for like a year

The other 50% of people seem to be prone to reinfection within a couple months

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

canyoneer posted:

Not a zombie movie, but it's the airlock scene from that show with Hugh Laurie.

Avenue 5. A luxury cruise spaceship gets stranded away from Earth for months and at one point the passengers become convinced that they're being hoaxed and it's all a reality TV stunt and if they just walk out they'll be able to return home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skXaeucDYHo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've seen the clip plenty of times before (because it's a good one) but one detail i never noticed is the lady in the pink shirt goading everyone on telling them to listen to her it's all fake never actually puts her money where her mouth is and steps out into the airlock herself

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Honestly, Contagion is really on the nose, and I think it's a good movie as well. Covers most things including panic buying/hoarding, snake oil quackery, people with power/influence abusing their position etc.

The one thing Soderbergh completely missed is a significant portion of Americans (and people in other countries) actually going antivax.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah Contagion was a fantastic watch at the time, and when my mother in law visited in February of last year I got her to watch it with me so it was fresh. It doesn’t get everything right but drat, it’s not far off at all. Smart filmmaking for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Game of Thrones

Fauci is John Snow