Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FilthyImp posted:

It took so long that it was forgotten by anyone with an ego to meddle with it.

"Oh some animated film with a black spider-man? Yeah whatever"

"That film the Emoji Movie team is working on?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Wasn't there some leaked e-mails about their idea for a Spider-man where he did some stupid food related blog?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pixeltendo posted:

Wasn't there some leaked e-mails about their idea for a Spider-man where he did some stupid food related blog?

That might work pretty well as a comedy though.

The idea of a super hero who sees saving the world as a vaguely boring day job and instead gets super excited over mundane things like their food blog and over everyday activities could be a bunch of fun in the right hands.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Pixeltendo posted:

Yes.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

How are there people that actually write - and presumably talk - like this. It's like a parody of itself.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Millennials are killing Spider-Man

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Boxman posted:

How are there people that actually write - and presumably talk - like this. It's like a parody of itself.

IT people are worse in this regard... I'm not surprised at all about this e-mail. haha

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Boxman posted:

They’re delusional rich idiots with zero imagination or creativity. Yet they help create art

For some reason

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pixeltendo posted:

I’d happily watch Miles do Pengest Munch around NYC.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

CelticPredator posted:

They’re delusional rich idiots with zero imagination or creativity. Yet they help create art

For some reason

Answered your own question there

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

....why is "veganism" being describe as a "really extreme form(s) of experiential exercise" ?

This reads like it was written by a creature who has only vague ideas about what a human is and how they behave.

CelticPredator posted:

For some reason

I don't think "help" is the right way to describe what they do when it comes to creating art.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/SonicMovie/status/1468581182979776513

Also seems that Tails will be played by his game VA like he was at the end of the first movie:

https://twitter.com/VOColleen/status/1468305802687483911

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

The plane! That level has some of my favorite music from the franchise.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

https://twitter.com/SonicMovie/status/1468581182979776513

Also seems that Tails will be played by his game VA like he was at the end of the first movie:

https://twitter.com/VOColleen/status/1468305802687483911

Nice!

Is Jim Carey back btw? He was the reason the first one worked at all.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 8, 2021

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

readingatwork posted:

Nice!

Is Jim Carey back btw? He was the reason the first one worked at all.

Yes, he's on the poster but the Twitter embed crops it off.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That might work pretty well as a comedy though.

The idea of a super hero who sees saving the world as a vaguely boring day job and instead gets super excited over mundane things like their food blog and over everyday activities could be a bunch of fun in the right hands.

Steven Universe beat Spiderman to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9oq0tiiO-E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idSrKVWsZEs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2HlTlr-Ons

(Crying Breakfast Friends is an in-universe self parody of the main show, where half the joke is that the other characters find it incomprehensible but Steven is a huge fan)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of the new Sonic movie, have a trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=I9nrRmnOJho

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Larryb posted:

Looks cool. Seems like they went with the awesome Sonic3 Knuckles and gave him a fantastic voice. :)
We're getting Super Sonic out of this aren't we?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Darth TNT posted:

Looks cool. Seems like they went with the awesome Sonic3 Knuckles and gave him a fantastic voice. :)
We're getting Super Sonic out of this aren't we?

7 movies later

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Larryb posted:

Until I watched this, I genuinely thought Idris Elba voicing Knuckles was just some running joke on the internet, not something that was actually happening. Also, even though it's just one clip we saw, it fits in a way that I didn't expect.

Overall, this looks fun as all hell - seems less fish out of water like in the first movie and more embracing of stuff from the classic video games.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Until I watched this, I genuinely thought Idris Elba voicing Knuckles was just some running joke on the internet, not something that was actually happening. Also, even though it's just one clip we saw, it fits in a way that I didn't expect.

Overall, this looks fun as all hell - seems less fish out of water like in the first movie and more embracing of stuff from the classic video games.

Yeah, the first one was more a buddy adventure movie that just happened to feature Sonic. This on the other hand looks like an actual Sonic movie

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

hiddenriverninja posted:

7 movies later

Actually Barack Obama: you mean the chaos emeralds?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Larryb posted:

Yeah, the first one was more a buddy adventure movie that just happened to feature Sonic. This on the other hand looks like an actual Sonic movie

Did come up that the first movie is basically E.T. but with Sonic.

Still say it works on a few levels more because, despite being more clear on Sonic's origin than anything's allowed to be in decades, it's really an origin story for Robotnik.

Also fuckin lol at fast food employee Agent Stone being overjoyed at Robotnik's return.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also fuckin lol at fast food employee Agent Stone being overjoyed at Robotnik's return.

lol him being a barista is a call a back to Robotnik saying he loves how he makes coffee

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

lol him being a barista is a call a back to Robotnik saying he loves how he makes coffee

Bonus points if the movie calls his café the Mean Bean Machine

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news,

https://twitter.com/liborek3/status/1469349705733836803?s=20

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I thought I saw Ian Flynn is involved in Sonic 2. It’ll probably be improbably good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Boxman posted:

I thought I saw Ian Flynn is involved in Sonic 2. It’ll probably be improbably good.

No idea about the movie but he is the head writer on the upcoming new game Sonic Frontiers at least.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Larryb posted:

Bonus points if the movie calls his café the Mean Bean Machine

If you look at the chalkboard behind Stone it says Mean Brew :haw:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Larryb posted:

No idea about the movie but he is the head writer on the upcoming new game Sonic Frontiers at least.

That's the most hope inspiring thing I've heard about Sonic Frontiers yet

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Roth posted:

That's the most hope inspiring thing I've heard about Sonic Frontiers yet

I wouldn't get your hopes up for even more reasons on top of the usual reasons you shouldn't for a Sonic game, given the Boom developers have said that Sega basically disallowed them from doing anything interesting with the story or giving the characters origins or personality.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wouldn't get your hopes up for even more reasons on top of the usual reasons you shouldn't for a Sonic game, given the Boom developers have said that Sega basically disallowed them from doing anything interesting with the story or giving the characters origins or personality.

What? Why? Where's the logic in that?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

What? Why? Where's the logic in that?

The IDW comics have it bad, Sega won't even let them name the planet it's set on.

The logic escapes about everyone but Sega seems terrified of actually establishing anything consistent about the setting, despite all the story they keep trying to rely on to get people interested. (because the gameplay sure as gently caress don't) They seem to want to have their cake and eat it too regarding the characters being blank-slate mascots a la Hello Kitty but also have personalities, backstories and interactions in story and dialogue.

Probably why so much Sonic licensed media ends up with OCs all over the place, because they're actually allowed to have character development.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Eh, I thought the Boom cartoon was alright at least

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Wait, isn't Sonic Boom the one that gave us himbo Knuckles? Maybe that's not a fully worked out personality but it was certainly different than every other Knuckles interpretation

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The IDW comics have it bad, Sega won't even let them name the planet it's set on.

The logic escapes about everyone but Sega seems terrified of actually establishing anything consistent about the setting, despite all the story they keep trying to rely on to get people interested. (because the gameplay sure as gently caress don't) They seem to want to have their cake and eat it too regarding the characters being blank-slate mascots a la Hello Kitty but also have personalities, backstories and interactions in story and dialogue.

Probably why so much Sonic licensed media ends up with OCs all over the place, because they're actually allowed to have character development.

Could it be Ken Penders backlash?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Aces High posted:

Wait, isn't Sonic Boom the one that gave us himbo Knuckles? Maybe that's not a fully worked out personality but it was certainly different than every other Knuckles interpretation

That’s the one, yeah. It also gave us a far more tolerable version of Amy in my opinion (also Eggman was one of the best parts as is usually the case in most Sonic media).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 13, 2021

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeesh, even Hello Kitty gets to have a backstory, Sega seems like one of those companies that sometimes makes bad choices for no reason.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Yeesh, even Hello Kitty gets to have a backstory, Sega seems like one of those companies that sometimes makes bad choices for no reason.

I think I read somewhere that hello kitty is a human girl that just likes dressing up in a cat costume confirm/deny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's more that the hello kitty characters are not diegetically animals, they just are portrayed as animals.