Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ok Comboomer posted:

This is technically not 90s poo poo (2001-2003) but I remember those late generation SONY Discmen that were rather ovoid and had crazy skip protection that felt like the future

I had the silver version of that that could do MP3 CD as well, it was pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

The coolest thing was bypassing the open lid switch and removing the CD while it was playing, and showing off to your friends that it was still playing music even though the CD was removed :science: :2bong:

And then putting in a different CD before the buffer ran out.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 7, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

This is technically not 90s poo poo (2001-2003) but I remember those late generation SONY Discmen that were rather ovoid and had crazy skip protection that felt like the future

I had a Sony Discman that I mostly used at home, and I always thought it SUCKED until I was loving around with it and managed to turn off the skip-protection. Then it sounded fine. I guess memory was expensive so the buffer was hell of compressed?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

90 seconds of uncompressed 16/44 audio is just under 16 MB, idk what that cost in the early 2000s but it couldn't have been much.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

polyester concept posted:

90 seconds of uncompressed 16/44 audio is just under 16 MB, idk what that cost in the early 2000s but it couldn't have been much.

The buffer on mine was like... I wanna say less than ten seconds. (I tested it at the time but it was so long ago :corsair:WHERE'S MY PAP)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Later Discman models would compress the music with ATRAC into the buffer so it could be longer with less memory capacity, this included transcoding MP3 to ATRAC. These are The Worst Discmen.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The buffer on mine was like... I wanna say less than ten seconds. (I tested it at the time but it was so long ago :corsair:WHERE'S MY PAP)

Mine had ten seconds, but I think the CD speed was 1.5x so it took 20 seconds to build that up. There was a rough part of the road on my way to work, and if I sped up just enough, I could make it to the other end without the buffer running out.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
My SMSL M6 DAC will not remember it's volume setting when powered off and on again. Does this imply that it is designed to be left on 24/7? I prefer not to leave it on for long periods as it becomes hot to the touch which I can't imagine is good for longevity?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It doesn't SEEM ideal, but it's certainly possible that despite being "on" 24/7 and hot, it could potentially run for 10 years.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

qirex posted:

Later Discman models would compress the music with ATRAC into the buffer so it could be longer with less memory capacity, this included transcoding MP3 to ATRAC. These are The Worst Discmen.

I've been looking for a discman, what is a model you would recommend?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Pvt. Parts posted:

My SMSL M6 DAC will not remember it's volume setting when powered off and on again. Does this imply that it is designed to be left on 24/7? I prefer not to leave it on for long periods as it becomes hot to the touch which I can't imagine is good for longevity?

You want to keep it warm to drive off any humidity that might cause sticky or even soggy bits. Powering it down is akin to shutting down the ghostbusters containment grid.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

TooLShack posted:

An original PlayStation in a briefcase

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

TooLShack posted:

The newest you can get for a reasonable price. I have gone through of the old "high-end" metal chassis models like the D-555, D-350 and D-9, and using them is like trying to keep an old Lamborghini running. It's not worth the effort. My more modern cheap plastic Sonys are 100% reliable, sound great and can run for much longer on a single AA battery.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

evobatman posted:

on a single AA battery.

Just use a power adapter like me. It's not like goons jog or something.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

polyester concept posted:

4 MB RAM after the Kobe quake in 199..4? 5? Cost $150 easy. Easily 2000's? About $40? Didn't the first buffered discmen have like 5 seconds memory or something?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

F4rt5 posted:

Didn't the first buffered discmen have like 5 seconds memory or something?
I had a Sony one with 3 seconds.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

F4rt5 posted:

4 MB RAM after the Kobe quake in 199..4? 5? Cost $150 easy. Easily 2000's? About $40? Didn't the first buffered discmen have like 5 seconds memory or something?

1MB SIMMs got up over $100 each during that time. It was a nightmare.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

F4rt5 posted:

I looked up ramp prices yesterday, seems they tanked hard '01/'02, but 16MB was only ~$20 and falling from '97 on, though massively expensive beforehand (retail for SIMMs/DIMMs). Still a substantial cost for a single component.

https://jcmit.net/memoryprice.htm

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

3D Megadoodoo posted:

My first Technics portable CD player didn’t have antishock, something I found to be quite a detriment when I tried to listen to it on the bus. My Walkman remained the portable unit of choice.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Fiio has a new top of the line DAP that's shooting for desktop DAC level power and sound quality. They spent all this effort to make it super low noise and distortion. Of course it runs so hot that they make a stand with a fan to cool it off while running. I'm sure that extra couple of dB in SINAD is worth having to run a loud fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd3ZSSZB8GM

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Thats loving stupid and gently caress DAPs. They spend %80 of your money on the phone/android part and the rest on the amp.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It me, the kid who celebrated when her parents got a Subaru with a 12v port in the back so I could plug my Discman and Game Gear in for road trips.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It’s hilarious to me that Amir at audio science review has so much power now that companies are chasing SINAD numbers, which will probably have a bunch of unintended consequences other ways [like a fan on a portable player]. That said check the Topping PA5:

:eyepop: the $3k Benchmark AHB2 is the only amp he's had that measures better by his tests

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 8, 2021

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

It’s hilarious to me that Amir at audio science review has so much power now that companies are chasing SINAD numbers, which will probably have a bunch of unintended consequences other ways [like a fan on a portable player]. That said check the Topping PA5:

:eyepop: the $3k Benchmark AHB2 is the only amp he's had that measures better by his tests

Oh dang, I've been looking for a good quality desktop amp to drive my bookshelf speakers at my desktop PC. This looks close to the perfect match!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Those are some great numbers. The only issue is it is not very powerful (48 W at 8 ohms and 83 W at 4 ohms) but it seems perfect for a small system.

qirex posted:

It’s hilarious to me that Amir at audio science review has so much power now that companies are chasing SINAD numbers, which will probably have a bunch of unintended consequences other ways [like a fan on a portable player].
One of the worst ones was SMSL making a design decision for the M400 DAC that increased SINAD but made output impedance 1000 ohms which meant more potential mismatches for amps.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 9, 2021

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
If you spent less than $200 on the fuse for each piece of equipment in your signal chain, you’re a Luddite:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/the-new-synergistic-research-purple-fuses

The real gold begins a dozen posts in.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Neurophonic posted:

If you spent less than $200 on the fuse for each piece of equipment in your signal chain, you’re a Luddite:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/the-new-synergistic-research-purple-fuses

The real gold begins a dozen posts in.

Oh my god, you struck the motherlode here

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That synergistic research scam is one of the worst in the entire hobby. I mean that's probably not true, most of the hobby is a scam. Still, they are so far over the top, it's one of the worst.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

This is amazing.

quote:

Actually just having your system turned on, or even the single component you are re-fusing left on (it is always a good idea change only one component fuse at a time until you determine correct fuse directionality) is sufficient in most cases to burn in a fuse, no music necessary. It is paramount however that you first determine correct fuse orientation on a fuse-by-fuse basis before placing in the next fuse in your system and again listening in both directions where the correct directionality should be readily appertains as more air and detail. If switching from a prior SR fuse model like Orange start Purple in the same direction, if it does not sound immediately better in most ways simply reverse the Purple fuse direction. Due to a new conditioning process, purple fuses may not always perfectly mirror the same orientation as prior SR Fuses. After determining the correct directionality for one or more fuses leave your system turned on to speed realization of best performance.

Yours in music,

Ted Denney III Lead Designer/CEO Synergistic Research Inc.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fuse

Directionality

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

loving $199.95 fuses. Here's the spiel from their website:

quote:

How fuses alter the sound of your system. For over one hundred years people believed electrons flowed like water through a pipe and that once ‘contaminated’ by miles of wire, there was little or nothing that could be done to ‘clean’ the electricity feeding your components. Consider this: the electricity feeding your system’s components first propagates through a single fuse. This is why significant gains in sound quality are possible when you insert an SR Black or Blue Fuses into each of your components.

Today physicists understand electrons don’t flow at all but rather propagate in a wave of energy that moves along a conductor with a multitude of factors that alters this wave at the quantum level. To understand how electricity travels without electrons ever leaving their respective atoms it is helpful to consider the spectator ‘wave’ at a football match. Even though you can clearly see a wave pattern moving from spectator to spectator as fans raise and then lower their hands (without hands jumping from one person to the next), so too does electricity ‘move’ without electrons ever leaving their atoms. At Synergistic Research we’ve isolated key factors that affect how electricity propagates by changing the behavior of electrons through Inductive Quantum Coupling methods we collectively call UEF Tech. In fact, UEF Tech is so powerful even an electrical chain several miles long is fundimentally improved with nothing more than a single fuse engineered with our patented UEF Technology.

Are they claiming that alternating current is a new discovery?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I'm not sure, just going to send money

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

An original PlayStation in a briefcase

Time for a new thread title?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Karia posted:

loving $199.95 fuses. Here's the spiel from their website:

Are they claiming that alternating current is a new discovery?

Relevant post from the meme thread

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Some guy on AVS recently claimed that " Electricity is a weird misunderstood thing, even now..." and it's like motherfucker how did you post that then? He also liked fuses.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

magnets are just solidified electricity

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
So I looked up the patents assigned to Mr Denney. The one for fuses was cancelled, with a sick burn from the patent office:

However he did manage to patent this:

https://patents.google.com/patent/AU2016352913A1/en

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Neurophonic posted:

So I looked up the patents assigned to Mr Denney. The one for fuses was cancelled, with a sick burn from the patent office:

The mark consists of a person paying $200 for a looped cable inside a rectangular box.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

All of that done passively, too, simply by painting your walls. That is some magic loving paint.

Coating your walls in a hardened thin layer of crushed crystals or ceramics would probably make the acoustics even worse.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

You put a dung layer over the crystals