Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How humiliated are the Buffalo Bills?
they are so shook that they spiral into a losing streak and miss the playoffs
they should dismantle the franchise, let the players sign to all different teams; NFL brings in a new franchise, maybe Mexico City
they should commit seppuku to spare their family their honor
their shame can never undone, their children’s children shall bear the sins of their fathers til the end of time
View Results

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
Anyway, anyone wanna talk about that game? Lets talk about that loving game.

This is a really fascinating time for football. Too bad it’s lost on most fans. I wish I had a better in on the dynamics of this because there’s a lot to it, but my vague read on the NFL metagame:

The league is still reeling from the upstart success of Mahomes and Josh Allen (and Russ and other guys too) who revolutionized the game by making the most difficult throws their bread-and-butter throws, to an extent that impossible magic could become a replicable, every game, every drive kind of deal. Eventually, teams began to realize that those guys are regularly making the kind of throws that the standard NFL defense at the time was designed to encourage quarterbacks to make. So the league pissed their pants, abandoned what they were doing, and they have all been frantically trying to get their own Mahomes and build the smallest fastest team in the league the last few years. That, plus the Shanahan outside zone is taking off and teams are getting more athletic at line to run it probably.

And while everyone else is losing their minds, BB just very calmly stood up and conducted the most pristine aria ever sung. I think this game changes the course of modern football history. Teams were already beginning to slow down the deep passing attacks. But Belichick just eviscerated one of the best teams at that playstyle, simply by getting slow dull fatsos to push people around.

The Bills defense has been playing great this year because they basically play 3rd down defense every down. They want their DL to rush the passer at all times and behind them they want they fastest cover guys. That’s what everyone wants. That works great against teams that are playing from behind all game and can’t run worth a drat to begin with, which is why they clobbered a bunch of strawmen to start the year. But BB showed the world what happens when you forget about the run: you get run over. Whatever, in a month people are going to be talking about how Belichick ripped off Vrabel’s gameplan against the Bills so actually what BB did wasn’t even unique and thus never happened.

Now the league is realizing their mistake too late after they start getting pounded into submission by the likes of Derrick Henry, Jonathan Taylor, and Mondre Stevenson. I wonder if we don’t see the league flip back to the other direction now, invest more in big bodies and fullbacks and stuff like that, and we start to see way more power running. Then you have a league that’s being pulled in two directions where you want to play a lot of multiple deep safeties, but you also want to stack the box; you gotta worry about the hottest trends in tech as well as the bulldozer that was built during WW2. Then again, I think the league might try to prevent something like this from ever happening again because Belichick had too much fun, there could also be some drastic rule changes to favor the pass and nerf the run game and make run defense meaningless.

Oh wait, I forgot the pass is more valuable than the run, whoops scratch that, so actually what we see is every team stop running altogether and just throw bubble screens instead.

Magicpants fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this one goes out to billy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEKkdIT8JPM

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
I still cannot wrap my mind around the fact that many people are not impressed by this game.

46 runs

as a joke

e: to take back the division from our closest competition in the AFCE, while simulatenously winning the #1 spot in the AFC

we did it as a joke

at this point in the game, the bills had LITERALLLY THEIR 10 BEST GUYS AGAINST THE RUN on the LOS every snap -- the QB doesn't block during run plays, NE didn't even have a numbers advantage (count that, 9 blockers and 1 RB against the 10 best they got on their whole roster plus 1 more as insurance -- WHERE IS YOUR MATH NOW?)

Belichick threw away every trick he has up his sleeves, did the exact same thing all game, nobody was confused about what was happening. Showed them all the cards he had in his hand. Left a voicemail weeks in advance telling them what he was going to do to them and how to defend themselves. Then just ran you over with BIG BEEFY BIG BEEF BOYS.

Magicpants fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 9, 2021

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
This thread rules. Hoping to see Jonnu get a little more involved.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Mac could have thrown it less

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
When the Browns win the Superbowl you will all see.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1468057315186290693
https://twitter.com/ezlazar/status/1468071209631944707
https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1468077492409749505
https://twitter.com/CourtneyFallon_/status/1468076791529189377
https://twitter.com/chatham58/status/1468221231346458641
https://twitter.com/LRiddickESPN/status/1468272165527166979
https://twitter.com/ezlazar/status/1468076457398255619
https://twitter.com/Sierra_Scali/status/1468069601137160194
the happiest Belichick has been his entire life :unsmith:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Weren’t the Bills extremely close to getting the lead at the 2 minute left mark? Did you watch the game?

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

Elephanthead posted:

Weren’t the Bills extremely close to getting the lead at the 2 minute left mark? Did you watch the game?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

love nfl fan fiction

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Elephanthead posted:

Bill was so in control of this game he had N'Keal Harry spot the Bills 7 points just to keep the people who can't appreciate good football entertained.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Elephanthead posted:

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Jan 17, 2001

Forum Veteran

Posting in an epic thread that should be stickied forever

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
Ha, running the ball is totally useless! Artifact of a bygone era. Nobody who’s anybody runs anymore. As if. This is me expressing snobbish disdain for the run game as an entire concept. I’d love to see some idiot try to win a game, especially the most important game of the regular season, only running the ball on every snap. Not a chance, why I’d bet you a

Pssh, yeah ok whatever technically Belichick “won” the game, but he ran the ball too much, so that’s not impressive, nobody’s impressed, very standard typical normal normal very normal, who cares, doesn’t count, wasn’t even a real game actually, that didn’t even happen in this world even because they didn’t pass enough, and the refs made all those bad calls against my teams and not the other team, just like they always do those bad refs, and the wind, THE WIND, let me tell you about THE WIND, the wind made it not real because the wind was really strong and it was so windy it blew the ball right out of the hands of Diggs and Knox a few times, didn’t affect Jonnu Smith though for some reason who’s a much worse receiver, so yeah everybody just forget about this game please, because there was really nothing memorable or noteworthy or unusual about it whatsoever, I basically already forgot what happened, as a matter of fact this kind of game happens all the time because the year is currently 1937 and have you heard this new German guy who’s awfully cute and charismatic and talks real loud, I think he makes some interesting points, so pretty please forget about this game as soon as you can pleeeeeeeeaaaaassssse im begging you im begging you please puhleee-ee-eeaaase

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
I’m a little thick in the head, so can yall help spell this out for me so I get it straight?

When Sean McDermott’s gameplan, the same exact plan that catapulted Josh Allen to stardom and the Bills to the top of the league, gets exposed as worthless, it’s actually very normal, even a good thing, and it shows how much smarter McDermott is for coming in totally unprepared and getting victimized.
However, when Belichick breaks every football convention and builds a gameplan that no one outside the Patriots organization could have possibly seen coming, much less won with, it doesn’t count because that day was too windy.
:thunk:

Someone help me fill in the gaps here:
1) Bills passed 30 times, poorly, couldn’t run either, whereas the pats exclusively ran the ball and won
2) ________
3) BB can’t coach, runs are a waste of time and only ever pass, obviously with that wind neither team passed the ball more than 5 times, Bills only lost because they were so stupid to throw the ball 30 times in a hurricane, Bills won anyway because they passed more,

Yeah no I still don’t get it, but I’m not as smart as you guys what with the crystal ball you have in the form of advanced statistics. Like I don’t get why the Bills filled out their roster with a bunch of cheap plastic bags which could get easily blown away on the wind, seems like a less than optimal strategy, particularly for a football team that gets paid millions/billions of dollars to play football. McDermott should have at least tried to put a rock on top to weigh them down. But of course I haven’t seen the numbers so I don’t know what I’m talking about.

Pictured: Bills LB Matt Milano

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
https://twitter.com/iambrianhines/status/1468077493546622977
:thunkher:

huh. so apparently the wind kept blowing when the Patriots were on offense too? a baffling development...

:thunk:

:thunkin:

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Belichick owned them so bad they're called the Buffalo Bills now

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

sweet thursday posted:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Hate the Patriots but I'm going to watch this whole game start to finish again because it ruled. I love it when people go against the hive mind and accomplish something "impossible" when it obviously is possible, you just need to have the courage to actually try it. A NFL where you have teams doing things in drastically different ways is good for the sport. gently caress all these fast-food-franchise style offenses. Now is the best part where we get to see the ham fisted way that the NFL (over)reacts. RB values suddenly at all time highs!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

sweet thursday posted:

Lol

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

sweet thursday posted:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
the patriots put up less points than the jets and gave up more points than the jags did against the bills so if you think about it the gameplan was actually pretty bad

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

wyoak posted:

the patriots put up less points than the jets and gave up more points than the jags did against the bills so if you think about it the gameplan was actually pretty bad

If the gameplan was bad and outright hubristic doesn’t that make the Bills losing to it even more embarrassing?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Bills gonna Bill

just speaking objectively, if a 14-10 win is one of the greatest gameplans ever, a 9-6 win must be even better.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

wyoak posted:

Bills gonna Bill

just speaking objectively, if a 14-10 win is one of the greatest gameplans ever, a 9-6 win must be even better.
Getting a little too close to advances stats tall for my tastes... :clint:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Every criticism of the Pats gameplan being stupid and it only working due to dumb luck or whatever just makes the Bills look worse.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I do think it worked because of luck but o can’t fathom why you would call it dumb

The idea behind it is pretty simple and not really that complex

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
well actually, it was pretty obvious

lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well yes a good plan doesn’t need to be complex or something you seen in a movie

The best plans are mostly doing something pretty simple

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

wyoak posted:

Bills gonna Bill

The greatest win that will ever happen in NFL history will be 6-1, with the 1 being intentional.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The greatest win in NFL history was the 2007 MNF hell bowl where the Steelers beat the Dolphins 3-0.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
a couple more highlight videos of the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aID7ZTsjLew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vRsEC65NTA

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
This septic tank of a thread is doing gods will. I appreciate it

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
BIG

BEEF

BIG BEEF BOYS

BIG

BEEF

BIG BEEF BOYS

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Magicpants might actually be Rob Ninkovich.

quote:

Their mind is gone,” Ninkovich said. “I could say it another way. We all know what that phrase is. You fill it in. Mind is gone. They’re not going to win this next game. It’s over with. What are we doing? What are we doing, head coach? C’mon. What are we paying you -- I don’t know. A lot of money. These head coaches, I’ll let ya.

"Let’s challenge another QB sneak and see if we get the turn. Like, what are we doing? How about I question your playcalling? How about I question a lot of things you did? Yeah, let’s challenge a muddle of a first down by the Patriots to see if they didn’t get the first down. That’s a terrible challenge. The head coach messed up. Give Bill the credit. He actually told you what he was going to do all day. OK, we’ll run the ball. Can you stop us? No. Guess what? In Foxboro, one hundred to nothing.”

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

After all this crow it’s gonna be real embarrassing if the Bills come into Foxboro in 2 weeks and do something like what the Jets did in the 2010 divisional round. Lest we forget that miserable game.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

After all this crow it’s gonna be real embarrassing if the Bills come into Foxboro in 2 weeks and do something like what the Jets did in the 2010 divisional round. Lest we forget that miserable game.

Wow. That sounds like a real Bottom Bitch attitude you got there, buddy.

You sure you're not in the wrong thread?

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

they're gonna do the same fuckin thing all over again. no need to give away the playbook right before the playoffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
That game owned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKnG06-oYcg