Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Troy Queef posted:

https://twitter.com/dailyfaceoff/status/1469025854919430146?s=21 I believe in player safety and all but this looks fairly shoulder to chest, plus MacK placed himself in a bad position

Obviously you don’t want to hurt guys, but it’s 100% within the rules of the game and there was zero malicious intent there. I mean it’s Nathan MacKinnon just above the hashes in the circle, you go for the poke and he could easily make you miss, he had already danced through the entire rangers team McDavid style a couple of times in the game (scored on one of them), taking the body is probably exactly what you want Trouba to do there and he did it in textbook fashion. No one likes the result but in no way is it a suspension and the only way it is is if you adjust the rulebook to have some NFL esque “defenseless receiver” language in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jovial Cow posted:

Obviously you don’t want to hurt guys, but it’s 100% within the rules of the game and there was zero malicious intent there. I mean it’s Nathan MacKinnon just above the hashes in the circle, you go for the poke and he could easily make you miss, he had already danced through the entire rangers team McDavid style a couple of times in the game (scored on one of them), taking the body is probably exactly what you want Trouba to do there and he did it in textbook fashion. No one likes the result but in no way is it a suspension and the only way it is is if you adjust the rulebook to have some NFL esque “defenseless receiver” language in there.

I would not say it's 100% within the rules because the existing rule is both long-winded yet largely useless:

quote:

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an opponent’s head where the head was the main point of contact and such contact to the head was avoidable is not permitted.

In determining whether contact with an opponent's head was avoidable, the circumstances of the hit including the following shall be considered:
(i) Whether the player attempted to hit squarely through the opponent’s body and the head was not "picked" as a result of poor timing, poor angle of approach, or unnecessary extension of the body upward or outward.
(ii) Whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position by assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full body check unavoidable.
(iii) Whether the opponent materially changed the position of his body or head immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit in a way that significantly contributed to the head contact.

i) Did Trouba try to hit squarely through the body? I guess so. But you could also argue that he hit head first from poor timing; a fraction of a second earlier or later and he might have hit one shoulder first and missed his head.
ii) MacKinnon did sort of make himself vulnerable by leaning forward (his knees are not bent that much), but does that make head contact on a full body check unavoidable? Trouba could have bent down lower, but he is also 3" taller; does that matter?
iii) I don't think MacKinnon did that.

Okay, so you have three circumstances; how they supposed to be weighed anyway?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The phrasing in that rule is some pretty legendary lawyerspeak though. It gives the NHL freedom to do as much as they want or as little as they want in any given incident.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

Honestly with the right coach that D would kick rear end to watch, buncha guys who'll allow 8 goals a game and try to score double that every night.

Which brings up an interesting thought, this'll be the first Olympics since Mike Babcock's back-to-back run of making an offensive powerhouse play board-grinding chip and chase hockey. Could Team Canada be.... fun this year? no

Good luck convincing McDavid to not be fun and play grindy bullshit

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/DidTheFlyers_/status/1468780314285776898

Poor Philly.

:lol: gently caress off, Zac. This guy sums it up nicely:
https://twitter.com/TimJohnEdwards/status/1469019705491005440

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Zodijackylite posted:

I don't know about that. Whenever I look at their roster, I see a good top six in their 20s, an excellent #1 D, and a good #1 goalie. It seems they have the core to build around.

That being said, their defense after Hughes appears to be a bunch of guys on the wrong side of 30 who I haven't seen play in years, but the opinions I've heard are all that they're toast, and all signed after this year. They looked alright against the Rangers this year - the only Nucks game I've seen in years - so perhaps they can return to form somewhat? At least OEL, as a #2, maybe?

Did you get Demko mixed up with 18 vancouver skaters because that's the only explanation for them looking alright in the Rangers game

I don't think the Canucks are going to be good or anything, it's just very refreshing to see a credible NHL team after this and last year!

anyway, Rutherford, uhhhhh... Well... Hmm... Please don't trade any more picks?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/mikeystephens81/status/1469087980023394304?t=qILrCAda_4oBtWVP9z73uw&s=19

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Maybe they’ll have a bake sale to raise the money.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
ohhhhh you wanted the rent money....

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Chara just hosed some dude up in a fight

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Yes, but we also def did not love Rinaldo in Philly. Even for Philly he was a piece of poo poo.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
I think the Junior Hockey Naming Algorithm might be busted.

https://twitter.com/TheWHL/status/1469037365817610242?s=20

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Jokes on you, Rutherford h8ers, we don’t have any draft picks to trade away

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/rileycote32/status/1469046646210117636

lmao

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Mike Works posted:

Jokes on you, Rutherford h8ers, we don’t have any draft picks to trade away

Actually the Canucks have 1sts for the next 3 years. They have no 2nd this year but do have the next 2. Winnipeg's 3rd the their own for the following 2 drafts. So buckle up buttercup it could get bumpy.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

omg Diego Buttazoni is real

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Australian ice hockey prodigy Nathan Walker leads the NHL in points per game, over these other frauds

This is a completely sustainable pace for Walker and is a direct result of the billions of dollars the Australian government has invested into ice hockey over the last few decades

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's because players from the southern hemisphere spin the puck the other way.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Aren't they getting kicked out at the end of this season? Is that the rent for next season that they failed to pay or this season? Or half of this season? I guess if the Coyotes are going to pack in the tent and get the gently caress out 15 minutes after the last game of the season it does not make much sense to pay the rent for the whole year and just pay a la carte for the 3ish months they are going to use before getting tossed. Or don't I understand what game day expenses means here?

Not trying to defend them by the way, it is a loving clown show. But the Coyotes are like the clowns painted with happy faces and the city of Glendale are the clowns painted with crying faces. They are all loving clowns, over and over again. It is funny, entertaining and sad.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

omg Diego Buttazoni is real
Yeah Diego's cool but lemme tell you about a good Ontariah boy Doug Buttzone

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jagged Jim posted:

I think the Junior Hockey Naming Algorithm might be busted.

https://twitter.com/TheWHL/status/1469037365817610242?s=20

He looks like the villain in a 90’s teen movie.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

aejix posted:

Australian ice hockey prodigy Nathan Walker leads the NHL in points per game, over these other frauds

This is a completely sustainable pace for Walker and is a direct result of the billions of dollars the Australian government has invested into ice hockey over the last few decades

blues highlights came on and i was telling my wife the blues are so shorthanded right now i dont know half the players, like "who the gently caress is 'walker' even" and turns out the highlights were of him scoring a hattie

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

darkwolf220 posted:

Not trying to defend them by the way, it is a loving clown show. But the Coyotes are like the clowns painted with happy faces and the city of Glendale are the clowns painted with crying faces. They are all loving clowns, over and over again. It is funny, entertaining and sad.

That arena is a very popular concert venue, and 41 more potential concert dates is worth infinitely more than hosting the Coyotes

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Blues now 2--0 while playing with 17 skaters. Nice to see Nathan Walker get a hatty; he's been up with the team a few times over the past couple years and he always has energy but rarely scores

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Mike_V posted:

Blues now 2--0 while playing with 17 skaters. Nice to see Nathan Walker get a hatty; he's been up with the team a few times over the past couple years and he always has energy but rarely scores

I remember Walker being a novelty for the Caps who scored in his debut and then never again.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/BluesFanReacts/status/1469118199207587841

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/1469332470613135365

flyers gonna back up the brinks truck to Tocchet I guess

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Chad Sexington posted:

I remember Walker being a novelty for the Caps who scored in his debut and then never again.

Yes, but he's a point-per-game in the playoffs.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

DJExile posted:

David Quinn is probably cheap.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The time is right for the Mike Babcock Redemption Tour

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Canucks are going to make a run at a playoff spot under Boudreau. They're not good talentwise but they have some star power and look around at the rest of the league, the Canucks' overall talent level is playoff fringe, not battling the Coyotes and Senators for top lottery position.

not unless they manage to find 2-3 productive nhl defenders. luke schenn is playing on their top pair

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CBJ have now had 5 offside reviews take goals off the board in the past 7 or 8 games:

quote:

Here’s a question, though: Is it more alarming that Blue Jackets players keep taking themselves offside or that NHL officials have missed so many of these calls, relying on reviews a few seconds later to get it right?

It's always NHL officiating, Porty.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

CBJ have now had 5 offside reviews take goals off the board in the past 7 or 8 games:

It's always NHL officiating, Porty.

Yeah, not on offsides. The AR get those right at an alarmingly high rate. It's just bad luck that CBJ has had so many taken off the board because of it. Offside is a state, one that's well defined and difficult to judge 100% accurately at an angle. Complaining about missed penalties makes sense, but complaining about not being able to stay onside is something the players have to be cross at themselves about. The review is there to get to as near perfect (when it matters) as possible.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Kind of a funny story out of Vegas:

https://twitter.com/BarbaraPadget/status/1469173449549615112

Stars were prevented from leaving Vegas for their game the next day in Los Angeles because of this, and man did they look like rear end against the Kings. The road trip is not going well to say the least.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Stars had a great winning streak and then they doo doo again

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/twolinepass/status/1469354900014485516

E: Cap isn't going up by much

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1469357044281098249

DJExile fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 10, 2021

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Jhet posted:

Yeah, not on offsides. The AR get those right at an alarmingly high rate. It's just bad luck that CBJ has had so many taken off the board because of it. Offside is a state, one that's well defined and difficult to judge 100% accurately at an angle. Complaining about missed penalties makes sense, but complaining about not being able to stay onside is something the players have to be cross at themselves about. The review is there to get to as near perfect (when it matters) as possible.

Yeah but it sucks. If it isn't immediately obvious that it's offside, then it probably doesn't matter.

The review was put in to catch this kind of offside Avalance goal, but instead it ruins this kind of offside Avalanche goal.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

DJExile posted:

Tbf it's 100% illegal to hire someone that doesn't have a decade+ experience of failure in the league. Gotta spend those bucks. loving abusive loser rear end coaches stuck in the 90s cost money, and you gotta spend money to... Play hockey.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/katiejstrang/status/1469363162185342981?s=21

https://twitter.com/katiejstrang/status/1469363953281208321?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Yeah but it sucks. If it isn't immediately obvious that it's offside, then it probably doesn't matter.

The review was put in to catch this kind of offside Avalance goal, but instead it ruins this kind of offside Avalanche goal.

Oh, I’m not saying that it doesn’t suck. Just don’t blame the people who are actually working hard to see those things. As far as NHL officials go, the assistants do their job with great accuracy for the crap angles they see. Unlike slashing, offside is a binary state and they get them correct an awesome number of times. The change to it being a plane on the blue line really helps with worrying about toes being on the ice, but now if you’re in early or out late it just is or isn’t. That’s the rule and it doesn’t matter if it’s an inch or three strides.

Still not sure how they didn’t catch the first clip when it happened, but people make mistakes.