Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

CopperHound posted:

Idk what all that poo poo it all about, but I've definitely used laptops that made an audible noise when accessing the ssd.

have you considered the nand operating mode?!

quote:

TLC mode: It sounds like background music, no features and powerless, everything is flattened, lacks extension and density.

pSLC mode: There is a special natural feeling, it becomes more smooth and calm, the thickness is slightly increased, and overall it is more resistant to hearing but still slightly dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

CopperHound posted:

Idk what all that poo poo it all about, but I've definitely used laptops that made an audible noise when accessing the ssd.

that can happen, but the sane solution is to move the audio to an external amp/dac unit rather than trying to silence everything else in the machine

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Loving the “we need Optane” mindset they have

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

repiv posted:

that can happen, but the sane solution is to move the audio to an external amp/dac unit rather than trying to silence everything else in the machine

My craptop has zero noise insulation between the speaker amplifiers and any other component. It made various hums, hisses, buzzes, and occasionally real tones -- which varied depending on whether the CPU, GPU, sata data transfer, or multiple of the above was working hardest. And the amp was powered at all times, even if the system was muted or the audio was going to the headphones.

(It doesn't anymore because I opened it up and disconnected the speaker amplifiers. Now it is forever silent.)

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
I'm trying to find a new HD to buy but I haven't looked into any of this in years so I have no idea what supports what and there's so many options, hopefully someone can lend me a hand
I'm on a GIGABYTE X79-UD3 mobo and I'm looking for 500gb - 1tb that's reasonably fast and affordable.
Planning to use it mostly for development stuff since build times now feel so slow on my ancient SSD that was once top of the line. Not going to have it as a boot drive

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Delamore posted:

I'm trying to find a new HD to buy but I haven't looked into any of this in years so I have no idea what supports what and there's so many options, hopefully someone can lend me a hand
I'm on a GIGABYTE X79-UD3 mobo and I'm looking for 500gb - 1tb that's reasonably fast and affordable.
Planning to use it mostly for development stuff since build times now feel so slow on my ancient SSD that was once top of the line. Not going to have it as a boot drive

https://www.amazon.com/SK-hynix-Gold-NAND-Internal/dp/B07SNHB4RC/

Most SATA SSDs are mostly the same but the longevity on the S31 will ensure it lasts a good long time, and if you're still using an x79 you clearly like to keep things around for a while.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I have learned to not be afraid of "low" TBW endurance ratings of around 300. My oldest SSD is a Samsung 850 EVO bought 4 years ago (I was a latecomer to the SSD bandwagon...). It was used as a system drive for three of those years, and it has only 33TB written. My Firecuda 510 was bought two years ago and has been my system drive for the last year, and it's got 20TB written. The firecuda with its ridiculous 1300TBW endurance rating may end up outliving me, assuming i don't throw it in the trash once we all move to 3d holographic storage or whatever the hell's coming next. edit: samsung's warranty only covers 150TBW for my 850 Evo. Just 14 years of life left at this rate :sweat:

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 3, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Crucial MX500 is currently $85 at most outlets. Good drive, and more expensive things aren't really beneficial on SATA.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

https://www.amazon.com/SK-hynix-Gold-NAND-Internal/dp/B07SNHB4RC/

Most SATA SSDs are mostly the same but the longevity on the S31 will ensure it lasts a good long time, and if you're still using an x79 you clearly like to keep things around for a while.

I feel like the SATA interface probably won't be around in 100 years when the write endurance of a 1TB TLC drive is finally used up, but hey it's good that you're an optimist!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Klyith posted:

Crucial MX500 is currently $85 at most outlets. Good drive, and more expensive things aren't really beneficial on SATA.

It was a Crucial NVMe that got a stealth downgrade, right, not this?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rinkles posted:

It was a Crucial NVMe that got a stealth downgrade, right, not this?

That was the P2, which turned into QLC. The MX500 is still, and always has been, TLC. I've got uh... like 6 of em now i think? lol. They are Good.

e: I just remembered the MX500 did indeed get a parts swap... but in a good way. When 64L flash went out of production, the MX500 started getting 96L packages instead, which actually increased performance and decreased power usage. They also swapped to a higher end controller in the ones you can buy now.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 3, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cygni posted:

That was the P2, which turned into QLC. The MX500 is still, and always has been, TLC. I've got uh... like 6 of em now i think? lol. They are Good.

I'm more afraid of retroactively removing DRAM. Pretty sure one of the big manufacturers did that with a SATA model. Maybe it was ADATA?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I just got my 4TB sandisk ultra in the mail today ($300 over the weekend), so I hope that at least isn't a secretly downgraded piece of junk.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rinkles posted:

I'm more afraid of retroactively removing DRAM. Pretty sure one of the big manufacturers did that with a SATA model. Maybe it was ADATA?

Yeah, MX500 still have DRAM, at least on the ones I've bought as of a month ago. How much DRAM depends on the drive capacity, but its always there.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

Removing dram isn't so easy on a SATA drive since you can't use system memory like NVMe. There are a couple controllers that have embedded dram, but that makes a stealth switch harder.

But bigger thing is, having or not having DRAM is just not a big deal for most desktop users. Even enthusiasts. Not having DRAM (or having only a tiny amount, like in the sata drives) produces a massively negative result on some benchmarks -- but the question is, does your workload track with those benches? For most people, not much. Dramless drives completely fall over and die on mixed read/write random performance, which is very much a server style workload. If you're running a big database or training ML on raw datasets, that matters. Running desktop apps and playing video games, it really doesn't.

This isn't to say that it would be ok to do stealth downgrades to dramless, because that's never ok. But I'd be more pissed to find my drive had QLC instead of TLC, which in some cases would actually be noticeable to me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What would affect boot times most?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

A SSD of any type and a well-maintained system. :v:

The difference between a sata drive and the fastest Gen4 NVMe is 2 or 3 seconds. Not a lot of reviewers test boot time anymore, with the ones that do you can see a general trend of faster drive = faster boot, but it's not super consistent. The error bars are probably pretty wide.

OTOH getting rid of crapware, telling programs not to run at startup, uninstalling software that has windows services or kernel mode drivers, removing or disabling unneeded hardware devices, and generally having a lean and efficient system is tens of seconds.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Newer AMD cpus can have issues with gen4 nvme ssds sometimes and they do a lot of retries on the link which holds off the boot process, if there is a new drive something to be aware of. I mostly saw it on epyc systems (Both Rome and Milan) but the zen2s had it too.

priznat fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 4, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Motherboard swap fixed the boot times. They're what I'd expect now. And wifi works fine.

But for whatever reason, if I connect any other drives, Windows fails to boot. Only the SATA drives show up in the BIOS boot options.

Boots normally if it's the only drive connected, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

An M.2 SATA drive (M+B key) should work in most NVMe slots, correct? (just at SATA speeds)

I'd be getting a M.2 SATA drive for my mother's laptop, but was wondering whether it could eventually be reused in a more modern pc with nvme slots.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
They have to explicitly support SATA - there is no default backwards compatibility. The M.2 SATA drive could be put into a M.2 to 2.5" drive adapter and connected to a SATA cable if your more modern PC does not have any M.2 ports that support it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I checked my motherboard. Looks like the third M.2 slot can take SATAs

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cheapest per gigabyte SSD in a while? Can't vouch for the quality

LEVEN SSD 2TB 1.92TB 3D NAND TLC SATA III - $130

They also offer an external 2TB SSD for $160

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

probably better off leven it out of ur cart

now that’s what i’m talkin bout :hehe:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Take a backup and go sailing
While Leven, Leven slowly dies

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Will the Leven SSD rise to the occasion :razz:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rinkles posted:

whether or not one of your devices has a long post

seriously, that's it

pretty much any decent, remotely modern CPU and halfway not-awful nvme can accomplish "push button, loaded desktop." bottleneck usually lies with some device with a couple of seconds of post time, or maybe a huge amount of bloatware

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
That Leven SSD looks like it's used Smartphone NAND and from what I've read around there's even some SSDs being sent out as QLC when advertised as TLC. Hard pass

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Would you buy a 2TB MX500 or a 2TB Kingston NV1 M.2? The MX500 is ~$150 at Gamestop atm, and the Kingston has dipped that low a few times in the last month. Decent SATA w/ DRAM versus low end NVMe?

https://www.gamestop.com/gaming-accessories/memory/pc/products/crucial-mx500-2.5-in-internal-ssd-2tb/310460.html

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-2280-Internal-SNVS-2000G/dp/B091BG4HDW

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

Would you buy a 2TB MX500 or a 2TB Kingston NV1 M.2? The MX500 is ~$150 at Gamestop atm, and the Kingston has dipped that low a few times in the last month. Decent SATA w/ DRAM versus low end NVMe?

https://www.gamestop.com/gaming-accessories/memory/pc/products/crucial-mx500-2.5-in-internal-ssd-2tb/310460.html

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-2280-Internal-SNVS-2000G/dp/B091BG4HDW

Mu. My choice would come down to the use case, whether the system the drive is going in has spare M.2 slots, and whether the NV1 could be a limitation in the future.

The one downside of NVMe m.2 drives is that most desktops have twice as many SATA ports as potential NVMe slots. A sata drive is therefore far easier to keep in your system through future upgrades. But if in the future the NV1 is inadequate (say games actually use DirectStorage and need at least 3000 MB/s bandwidth), it may bot be so easy to re-use.

In every other respect an NVMe drive is generally superior to a SATA one, even a bottom-shelf one like that NV1.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Klyith posted:

In every other respect an NVMe drive is generally superior to a SATA one, even a bottom-shelf one like that NV1.

That's what I was wondering, thanks. But like you said, you gotta think twice with NVMes because M.2 slots are at a premium, and you can use a SATA in almost anything, even old consoles.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I got an NV1 and it looked like I was supposed to set it up as an X4 am I wrong? I tried switching to X4 in my bios but every time I reboot it reverts to x2.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Chin Strap posted:

I got an NV1 and it looked like I was supposed to set it up as an X4 am I wrong? I tried switching to X4 in my bios but every time I reboot it reverts to x2.

A lot of boards share lanes between the M.2 slot and other things, normally a SATA controller. Might want to take a look at your motherboard manual to see if you need to disable something to get the full 4 lanes.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Klyith posted:

Mu. My choice would come down to the use case, whether the system the drive is going in has spare M.2 slots, and whether the NV1 could be a limitation in the future.

The one downside of NVMe m.2 drives is that most desktops have twice as many SATA ports as potential NVMe slots. A sata drive is therefore far easier to keep in your system through future upgrades. But if in the future the NV1 is inadequate (say games actually use DirectStorage and need at least 3000 MB/s bandwidth), it may bot be so easy to re-use.

Just buy a m.2 to pcie adapter to use in one of your very many worthless pcie slots if you actually run out of m.2 slots

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WhyteRyce posted:

Just buy a m.2 to pcie adapter to use in one of your very many worthless pcie slots if you actually run out of m.2 slots

Depending on your mobo -- and on midrange boards this is likely -- your extra PCIe slots can't actually be fully populated with cards or are actually x1 links if populated (and with gen3 x1 you're down to slightly above SATA speed).

Chin Strap posted:

What motherboard do you have, and if you have more than one m.2 slot which are you using?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

nvme is faster than sata for reasons other than raw bandwidth on the link and you're also on the path to never using old rear end legacy cables ever again

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Klyith posted:

What motherboard do you have, and if you have more than one m.2 slot which are you using?

Asus z270f. It has 2 and I am using the second. It warms me when changing it to X4 that sata 5 and 6 will be disabled and I don't care because I'm 90% certain my other drives are on 3 and 4. Am I supposed to manually disable 5 and 6 first?

The first m2 slot was unclear to me where exactly I should put it.

Edit: I'm wrong the bottom slot is m2_1 according to the manual. So the setting of the m2_2 mode doesn't matter. Why does my bios not give an x2 vs X4 choice for m2_1? I just see the choice for sata vs pcie for that slot. I have it on auto, should I force to pcie?

What's a good tool to test drive speeds to make sure I'm doing it right?

Chin Strap fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 11, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Chin Strap posted:

Asus z270f. It has 2 and I am using the second. It warms me when changing it to X4 that sata 5 and 6 will be disabled and I don't care because I'm 90% certain my other drives are on 3 and 4. Am I supposed to manually disable 5 and 6 first?

The first m2 slot was unclear to me where exactly I should put it.

Edit: I'm wrong the bottom slot is m2_1 according to the manual. So the setting of the m2_2 mode doesn't matter. Why does my bios not give an x2 vs X4 choice for m2_1? I just see the choice for sata vs pcie for that slot. I have it on auto, should I force to pcie?

What's a good tool to test drive speeds to make sure I'm doing it right?

On the Z270 as far as I can tell both of those M.2 slots are connected to the chipset, so there's not something like on more recent stuff where one slot is better because it's got a direct connection to the CPU. On those newer mobos they always put the CPU-linked one up near the CPU.

So I think you should just install the drive in M2_1 -- at the bottom of the board just below the sata ports.

Good tools for this are crystaldiskinfo (to see stats) and crystaldiskmark (to test speed). Info has a display for what a drive's current link speed is.

WhyteRyce posted:

nvme is faster than sata for reasons other than raw bandwidth on the link and you're also on the path to never using old rear end legacy cables ever again

As I said my dude, the choice needs to be made by context and use case. If not having cables is more important to you than whether an expensive purchase is easily usable without an adapter, or at all. Also at play is stuff like how fast you churn upgrades and whether you resell old parts.

Personally I don't care much about having or not having cables, and have cases with solid metal sides so I don't give a poo poo about neat cables.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Klyith posted:

On the Z270 as far as I can tell both of those M.2 slots are connected to the chipset, so there's not something like on more recent stuff where one slot is better because it's got a direct connection to the CPU. On those newer mobos they always put the CPU-linked one up near the CPU.

So I think you should just install the drive in M2_1 -- at the bottom of the board just below the sata ports.

Good tools for this are crystaldiskinfo (to see stats) and crystaldiskmark (to test speed). Info has a display for what a drive's current link speed is.

Thanks. Crystaldiskinfo is showing that I'm at x4 and crystaldiskmark is showing speeds comparable to what is listed so I seem to be good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

2TB gen 4 nvme for $170 at Woot, w/ fancy heatsink

Sabrent 2TB Rocket Q4

Pretty slow for gen 4, but that still has to be a new low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Well, it's a QLC drive. Can't help but think without the heatsink they might've been able to hit $149.