Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Does Bettman have a personal stake in the Coyotes? Why is he so invested in Arizona

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Jhet posted:

Oh, I’m not saying that it doesn’t suck. Just don’t blame the people who are actually working hard to see those things. As far as NHL officials go, the assistants do their job with great accuracy for the crap angles they see. Unlike slashing, offside is a binary state and they get them correct an awesome number of times. The change to it being a plane on the blue line really helps with worrying about toes being on the ice, but now if you’re in early or out late it just is or isn’t. That’s the rule and it doesn’t matter if it’s an inch or three strides.

Still not sure how they didn’t catch the first clip when it happened, but people make mistakes.

Also the alternative to not calling strict offside means giving officials a judgement call on whether something is offsides enough to matter. Do you let it go if it’s an inch offside? What about 3? 5? Which seems like a system that will lead to infinitely more controversial calls.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Does Bettman have a personal stake in the Coyotes? Why is he so invested in Arizona

Hubris.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Pride

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

pseudodragon posted:

Also the alternative to not calling strict offside means giving officials a judgement call on whether something is offsides enough to matter. Do you let it go if it’s an inch offside? What about 3? 5? Which seems like a system that will lead to infinitely more controversial calls.

They could do what the Prem and Euro footy leagues do and let everything 'close' go then VAR it after a goal is scored. (Please don't freaking do this). That said my dumb idiot team won a cup on the back of some extremely marginal offsides calls going their way.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Evergreen post but hahahaha Bettman is a loving moron

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Honestly anyone can do a better job than Bettman, but who would you personally pick to replace him?

(Also reportedly the only reason Arizona will not go to QC is because the league does not want to deal with Pierre-Karl Peladeau)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Snowbirds.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
To give up on Arizona would be to admit that he was extremely wrong on a subject he's now spent 25 years digging in harder and harder on. He's the goon in a well.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Bettman does a good job. His job is to make the owners money and he's done just fine with that. That's not what we want out of a commissioner but that is most certainly what the owners want out of one.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pseudodragon posted:

I'd argue that they just call what they see for offsides as true to the rule as possible. It's normally fairly rare that they get one wrong that even matters, and I'd bet that they get over 95% of them right when it doesn't matter too. The assistants aren't having an opinion so much as trying to quickly parse the information their eyes give them. They do the same with icing and they really don't get too many wrong. The referees are trying to have opinions on penalties and that doesn't work so well. You don't want offside to be subjective, because then we'd end up arguing about it constantly like you suggest.

I will happily argue about the referee's subjective penalty calling being dogshit, but man do the assistants do a great job almost every night.

xzzy posted:

Snowbirds.

They're home away from home games for Minnesota fans.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Bettman does a good job. His job is to make the owners money and he's done just fine with that. That's not what we want out of a commissioner but that is most certainly what the owners want out of one.

Yeah this is true but he is unquestionably super irrational about Arizona, which his employers apparently tolerate because he makes enough money for them.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Good soup! posted:

Evergreen post but hahahaha Bettman is a loving moron

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah this is true but he is unquestionably super irrational about Arizona, which his employers apparently tolerate because he makes enough money for them.

From their perspective it's probably comforting to know that he'll go to the ends of the Earth to defend a team that is poorly run.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ginette Reno posted:

Does Arizona actually make money though?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
No Coyotes no Auston Matthews the franchise was worth it

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Does Arizona actually make money though?

They barely spend anything on players and they short Glendale on money owed so probably lol

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

From their perspective it's probably comforting to know that he'll go to the ends of the Earth to defend a team that is poorly run.

Tell that to the four Thrashers fans though

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Troy Queef posted:

Honestly anyone can do a better job than Bettman, but who would you personally pick to replace him?

(Also reportedly the only reason Arizona will not go to QC is because the league does not want to deal with Pierre-Karl Peladeau)

Gary Bettman? The guy in the NHL hall of fame?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Athletic saying Canucks have officially fired Jonathan Wall (Sr. Director Hockey Ops) and assistant GM Chris Gear.

EDIT: fun fact!

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1469381826942750722

DJExile fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 10, 2021

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DJExile posted:

Athletic saying Canucks have officially fired Jonathan Wall (Sr. Director Hockey Ops) and assistant GM Chris Gear.

EDIT: fun fact!

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1469381826942750722

Quite the fall from grace for Gear. He was initially reported as being the interim GM when Benning was fired before Smyl was announced.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1469413455350349826

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i believe the desire to stay in AZ has something to do with the weird way markets work for advertising. IIRC Houston counted under Dallas for a lot of ad stuff but Arizona is its own thing. not sure if that's true or still true or all hogwash

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I believe Phoenix being the 4th or 5th largest TV market is a factor for Bettman.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Shame people there don't care about ice hockey and never will.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/MDuganWLOX/status/1469422876537282561?t=ZfVWv4xPhhkzQTb2EpHHyQ&s=19

I want this jersey

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Shame people there don't care about ice hockey and never will.

Part of me wonders how much of it has to do with his poor the team has been during their entire tenure. Plus, never having a superstar.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The opposing team should wear ones with massive lions on. Reignite the old rivalry.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

How do you say who your sources are inside an organisation without saying who your sources are?

https://mobile.twitter.com/imacSportsnet/status/1469439946394066946

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
It will never cease to amaze me that the NHL has fought tooth and nail to keep Arizona in the desert , to the point of buying and owning them, but let Atlanta go without any resistance at all.
I might be crazy but i still think a hockey team could work in Atlanta, that team was just horrific for its entire tenure

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Move Arizona to Quebec. Not the team, the state.

Leave the team there, and call them the Massive Watery Void Under Utah Sea-Coyotes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

clean ayers act posted:

It will never cease to amaze me that the NHL has fought tooth and nail to keep Arizona in the desert , to the point of buying and owning them, but let Atlanta go without any resistance at all.
I might be crazy but i still think a hockey team could work in Atlanta, that team was just horrific for its entire tenure

Phoenix is a giant TV market that's kind of off by itself. Whereas the Hurricanes and both Florida teams kinda consider Atlanta their territory and weren't unhappy to see the Thrashers shove off.

Still agree it's pretty weird how fixated Bettman is on Phoenix but that's probably how he/the owners justify it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Worth remembering too that Atlanta had MISERABLE ownership and they did absolutely squat to promote that team in what should have been a fantastic market.

https://twitter.com/BroadStBull/status/1469454927172882438

lmao Brassard's dead again wheeeeeeeeee

E: and god drat poor Lindblom just bouncing from 4th to 1st to 4th line what the hell

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

VOTE1 posted:

How do you say who your sources are inside an organisation without saying who your sources are?

https://mobile.twitter.com/imacSportsnet/status/1469439946394066946

I support firing the guy that was apparently in charge of analytics for the Canucks.

mjan
Jan 30, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Part of me wonders how much of it has to do with his poor the team has been during their entire tenure. Plus, never having a superstar.

That's part of it, but as someone from the area it's tough to overstate just how terrible a location Glendale is relative to the rest of the Phoenix area. It's a good 20+ miles away from central Phoenix, 30+ miles to wealthier areas like Scottsdale where folks have the money to regularly attend games. That might work for football 8 times a season and mostly on weekends, but it's never going to fly for hockey. There are a ton of fans in the Phoenix area (especially with snowbirds in the winter months) but very few willing and able to drive an hour+ each way on a weeknight to attend games.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The kids can call them the SeaCs.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

Troy Queef posted:

Jim Benning.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Me, earlier this season: "Wow this Blackhawks stuff is awful. I think I will watch a team that isnt poo poo. But who...? Oh the Flyers!"

Me, now: "The Philadelphia Flyers are dogshit garbage!"

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Me, earlier this season: "Wow this Blackhawks stuff is awful. I think I will watch a team that isnt poo poo. But who...? Oh the Flyers!"

Me, now: "The Philadelphia Flyers are dogshit garbage!"

I didn't say they would be good! I said they would be entertaining. Although if they played like they did the other night it's going to be dire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

DJExile posted:

Worth remembering too that Atlanta had MISERABLE ownership and they did absolutely squat to promote that team in what should have been a fantastic market.

https://twitter.com/BroadStBull/status/1469454927172882438

lmao Brassard's dead again wheeeeeeeeee

E: and god drat poor Lindblom just bouncing from 4th to 1st to 4th line what the hell

I’m gonna say 4-1 for Vegas tonight