Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

VOTE1 posted:

How do you say who your sources are inside an organisation without saying who your sources are?

https://mobile.twitter.com/imacSportsnet/status/1469439946394066946

The Canucks media was generally upset about this on Twitter today, whereas the fanbase wavered between not giving a poo poo or being in favour of the firings. It was a very weird disconnect and I think you've nailed the reason: the guys that got shitcanned must've been key sources feeding Canucks media inside info. We found the moles!

At this point anything that pisses off Canucks media is a good thing as they're all terrible.

goldrush fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

clean ayers act posted:

It will never cease to amaze me that the NHL has fought tooth and nail to keep Arizona in the desert , to the point of buying and owning them, but let Atlanta go without any resistance at all.
I might be crazy but i still think a hockey team could work in Atlanta, that team was just horrific for its entire tenure

a lot of it had to do with:

mjan posted:

That's part of it, but as someone from the area it's tough to overstate just how terrible a location Glendale is relative to the rest of the Phoenix area. It's a good 20+ miles away from central Phoenix, 30+ miles to wealthier areas like Scottsdale where folks have the money to regularly attend games. That might work for football 8 times a season and mostly on weekends, but it's never going to fly for hockey. There are a ton of fans in the Phoenix area (especially with snowbirds in the winter months) but very few willing and able to drive an hour+ each way on a weeknight to attend games.

Atlanta has a decent infrastructure and a fair amount of youth teams, they're just all on the north side of the city in Kennesaw/Duluth/Cobb County. it's the same problem but opposite of the Coyotes. The money/white people for the Atlanta market are 30 mins north of the downtown core, and they both don't want to deal with Atlanta traffic to get to games and are very racist and think Atlanta is Damascus or something lol, so they don't wanna take MARTA or even visit a downtown stadium.

this happened with the Braves and it's why the Braves play in the suburbs now:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/11/why-the-braves-want-to-move-in-one-ticket-sales-map

so yeah Atlanta Cobb County probably could handle a team but I'm not sure I want hockey to cater to even more racists. we already have to deal with Bruins fans

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 11, 2021

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I didn't say they would be good! I said they would be entertaining. Although if they played like they did the other night it's going to be dire.

I struggle to think of the kind of person that would find the current Flyers entertaining!

Could be worse I guess, I almost picked Canucks.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/ginohard_/status/1469488261793910788?s=21

Don’t ever loving set up a sick goal again you showboating piece of poo poo

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you're an orphan looking for a team to watch go with the Oilers, you get to watch one of the greatest players ever at his peak plus another Hall of Famer at his peak, and you get to watch wildly entertaining hockey where no lead in any direction is ever safe. As a hockey fan who doesn't actually care who wins, it can't be beat.

The Leafs used to be great in this area too but they've kinda settled into a duller more normal style this year. The Penguins used to, too, but now they either win or lose by 4+ goals most of the time.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Furnaceface posted:

I struggle to think of the kind of person that would find the current Flyers entertaining!

Could be worse I guess, I almost picked Canucks.

I'm a Penguins fan that lives in the Philadelphia TV market. That likely helps.

Edit: ^^ the above might apply to the AVs as well but that means enjoying a Kroenke team and that isn't allowed.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I'm a Penguins fan that lives in the Philadelphia TV market. That likely helps.

Hell, same

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

The Dirty Burger posted:

I'm convinced he's playing a character after watching this

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I live in the weird part of PA where (going by every major league blackout policy) we are in the Philly, Pittsburgh, and New York market. At least I have the Pens AHL team. And they might actually play a game tomorrow for the first time in like 3 weeks.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah. Last I looked (a couple years ago before I gave up on NHL.tv) where I live I was blacked out from Penguins, Flyers, Caps, Rangers, Islanders, Devils, and Sabres games. Almost one fourth of the entire loving league.

e: actually IIRC I was blacked out from Bruins games too, Comcast carries NESN in this area

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Flyers Win a hockey game

Lol

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
The Vancouver Canucks are 3-0 since firing Jim Benning.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

PLAN THE PARADE

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DJExile posted:

PLAN THE PARADE

BOARD UP THE LONDON DRUGS

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you're an orphan looking for a team to watch go with the Oilers, you get to watch one of the greatest players ever at his peak plus another Hall of Famer at his peak, and you get to watch wildly entertaining hockey where no lead in any direction is ever safe. As a hockey fan who doesn't actually care who wins, it can't be beat.

The Leafs used to be great in this area too but they've kinda settled into a duller more normal style this year. The Penguins used to, too, but now they either win or lose by 4+ goals most of the time.

Or watch the Avs, who have the strongest offense this season and the 2nd worst goaltending leading to gong show games on the regular.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Mike Works posted:

The Vancouver Canucks are 3-0 since firing Jim Benning.

AquilinI: Bennng was the problem all along! I knew the roster was good enough to win, playoffs or bust!

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Fire the coach and GM every 3 games.

But can we find enough elderly ex-players from the 60s and 70s to fill those spots? It's going to be tough.

edit:

Okay, so these fifteen guys from the original 1970 Canucks are still alive. So that gets them through a dozen games if we need a President, a GM, a Coach and one assistant coach. Dale Tallon's back in the game!

Rosaire Paiement
Murray Hall
Dale Tallon
Orland Kurtenbach
Mike Corrigan
Poul Popiel
Ted Taylor
Garth Rizzuto
Danny Seguin
Ed Hatoum
Marc Reaume
Ralph Stewart
Ken Block
John Arbour
Dunc Wilson

(Aliveness is not guaranteed and is based entirely on whether the first sentence of their wikipedia page uses the word 'is' or the word 'was')

T.C. fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 11, 2021

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

DJExile posted:

PLAN THE PARADE
I would attend a BENNING GOT FIRED parade.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

gently caress this nerd

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
I wouldn’t say that Avalanche fans are the most passionate fans in the league or anywhere close to it anymore but if there’s one thing I would absolutely put up against any other fan base it’s the ability to sing mid-to-late-90s pop punk hits in their entirety

https://twitter.com/BR_OpenIce/status/1469529819935350789

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol, Torts owns.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/1469525085631385605?s=20

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/buffalovogl/status/1469694610410721281?s=21

The Sabres/Rangers game should have gone to OT but the league blew it. Why not change it to a 3-2 OT loss and just give nobody the credit for the third Rangers goal, like a shootout win? The Sabres deserve a point. Garbage fuckin league.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Game results aren't changeable.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I fell asleep after the second.

The Vegas Golden Knights are dogshit garbage.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Aphrodite posted:

I’m still gonna be mad about it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Devils need to shake things up somehow. They suck.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
https://twitter.com/NYIslanders/status/1469701265022148608

Love to have the wrecking crew back on this 72nd of Brocktober, but why send Czarnik back down? He's been looking solid lately. One goal and a couple assists in the bag in two games.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Garbage fuckin league.

Make this the permanent thread title every month.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Bard Maddox posted:

I wouldn’t say that Avalanche fans are the most passionate fans in the league or anywhere close to it anymore but if there’s one thing I would absolutely put up against any other fan base it’s the ability to sing mid-to-late-90s pop punk hits in their entirety

Ban these loving sickos for life. Jesus, this is supposed to be family-friendly entertainment. Who even knows more than 10 words of that song?

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

Aphrodite posted:

Sabres fans have had 22 years to come to grips with this fact, yet there are many that remain stubborn

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS

Bard Maddox posted:

This has been a pretty new tradition, but it's been happening at almost every home game this and last season.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

eXXon posted:

Ban these loving sickos for life. Jesus, this is supposed to be family-friendly entertainment. Who even knows more than 10 words of that song?

Torts that you?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
The Blues has the crowd sing “Country Roads, Take Me Home” in the 3rd period of every home game (pre Covid at least) and I have no idea why.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
It was really cool that the NHL made the Pens/Caps on a Friday night only on ESPN+ because they spared me having to watch a loss.

mcmagic posted:

Devils need to shake things up somehow. They suck.

I have a hard time seeing them as a playoff team outside of some kind of Blues-esque second half run.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

The Blues has the crowd sing “Country Roads, Take Me Home” in the 3rd period of every home game (pre Covid at least) and I have no idea why.

because Country Roads is a good rear end song

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chad Sexington posted:

I have a hard time seeing them as a playoff team outside of some kind of Blues-esque second half run.

A month ago they were trending toward the playoffs and they have just been utter poo poo since then. They pretty much have been doing "start off decently and then fall off a cliff in december" for like 5 years now.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

They only have two first overalls so they're still at least three seasons away from turning it around.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Duckman2008 posted:

I think they were doing it one day and cut off right at the chorus and the crowd kept doing it so they decided to keep playing the song to get the fans into it. I think it's corny but I also think the new goal song from the Urge guy sucks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

The Devils are about exactly where I would expect them to be. Competitive'ish, but still a few pieces short. They also had a bunch of goalie injuries.

The Rangers though seem like a team that could collapse a bit at any moment. They're riding some great shooting and incredible goaltending. Either or both of those regress even slightly and they're going to falter some. Fortunately for them the rest of the metro isn't looking great either (other than potentially the Pens getting on a roll).