Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
having a sensible chuckle thinking that the only reason student loan repayments must resume under democrats is that they underpin some critical black ops program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

vyelkin posted:

No, not really. Back in the 90s Canada's Progressive Conservative Party split in two because half the party was upset that the other half wasn't conservative enough, so they left and founded their own party that rapidly outcompeted the more moderate PC remnants. Ten years later the two parties merged again under the leadership of the further-right splinter party and now the united conservative party is significantly more right-wing than they used to be. And they're still not fascist enough for some people so now there's a new splinter party that's even further to the right.

Please see my edit. Is wikipedia giving me the impression the Social Credit movement was more popular than in actuality?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I keep expecting dem sinecure losers from sure thing states like illinois and new york to be like "...guys? hey? hey guys??" but it never seems to come. do they honestly think people will forget about this and feel fine by next november? do they expect anything to get any better? I know they're insanely loving dumb, but this much, at this time, staring down the barrel of a +10 R break twelve months from midterms?

what the gently caress this party might actually get destroyed

when you consider maybe their goal is not to win elections at all, but to maintain the status quo as "the other party" and allow no third competitors, it all makes a lot more sense.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lib and let die posted:

The payments will continue until morale improves

Dems seem to think people get excited about paying their student loans or the sky-high health premiums.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

etalian posted:

Dems seem to think people get excited about paying their student loans or the sky-high health premiums.

they don't actually give a gently caress

biden doesn't, he's a monster who consistently enables corporate donors while being an empty vessel for them

the president is just a heatsink to detract from the underlying issue

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Lastgirl posted:

biden doesn't, he's a monster who consistently enables corporate donors while being an empty vessel for them

lastgirl what did they do to your av lmao

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

It is still funny to me how dem voters seemed to be shocked by his political failure and imploding credibility.

You have 20+ years of political history and also all the GE articles on Sleepy Joe promising FIRE sector donors he wouldn't rock the boat.

Not exactly a twist ending for the story.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, he was sold as a perfect benevolent saintly grandpa despite everything he's ever said and done. a surprising number of people voted biden because they actually believed these obvious lies that biden himself contradicted at every turn.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

spacemang_spliff posted:

lastgirl what did they do to your av lmao

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

when you consider maybe their goal is not to win elections at all, but to maintain the status quo as "the other party" and allow no third competitors, it all makes a lot more sense.

I know that they want to, and plan on, losing, but if they keep going like this I don’t understand how they won’t imperil the thing that keeps the machine going: comfortable do-nothing jobs for nephews. Maybe they’re still betting on the fundraising being there forever but even that seems like it’s being risked now

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I have no doubts this poo poo pile system could run pretty much as is for a thousand years.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Yadoppsi posted:

Please see my edit. Is wikipedia giving me the impression the Social Credit movement was more popular than in actuality?

ah yeah, the SoCreds. I don't know a lot about them but they did run one province for like 40 years straight, but that's the worst province in the country and my understanding is that within a few years of getting into power their version of social credit abandoned any populist economics parts of it and evolved into basically mainstream conservatism. Somebody else might know more about it than me though, would be an interesting question for the Canada thread

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, he was sold as a perfect benevolent saintly grandpa despite everything he's ever said and done. a surprising number of people voted biden because they actually believed these obvious lies that biden himself contradicted at every turn.

lock him up

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

:laugh:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

ah yeah, the SoCreds. I don't know a lot about them but they did run one province for like 40 years straight, but that's the worst province in the country and my understanding is that within a few years of getting into power their version of social credit abandoned any populist economics parts of it and evolved into basically mainstream conservatism. Somebody else might know more about it than me though, would be an interesting question for the Canada thread

In the depression they did try but remember that Canada actually gives Ottowa a lot of power and they were repeatedly blocked in federal courts at the behest of “build a gulag for the unemployed “ McKenzie King. Seriously looking at Canada during the Great Depression I am surprised there wasn’t a revolution seeing how awful the liberals were. But it’s in the early 50s when the oil boom takes off and after the death of the original leader they just become basically the North Texas Republicans.

Crowsbeak has issued a correction as of 18:17 on Dec 11, 2021

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The democrat party is going to get destroyed in 2022.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

well yeah, senior care facilities do keep their exits secured. otherwise you get confused, angry segregationists wandering around feeling up little girls.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Flesh Forge posted:

It also serves the purpose of smothering and dissipating any public anger that manages to organize itself into a leftward movent.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://mobile.twitter.com/latimes/...ingawful.com%2F

Vote!

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

everyday i automatically mark up the destruction of the democrat party by 666%

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

a lot of the replies are basically "So?" :allears:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

Dumb hog nation

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Animal-Mother posted:

I know. An country of boot licking kicked dogs.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

imo the worst and best soud bytes are pretty much hillary's campaign vs bernie's campaign

it seems to me that they modeled the four non-republican soundbites on Bernie, Hillary, Biden, and AOC

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it bothers me that the lesson they're taking from that is "inclusive language is bad" when I expect a portion of respondents literally went "oh that's what Hillary said, gently caress that"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

it bothers me that the lesson they're taking from that is "inclusive language is bad" when I expect a portion of respondents literally went "oh that's what Hillary said, gently caress that"

It does give the impression that the only people who use "inclusive language" are disingenuous liberals. "Unity is our strength and diversity is our power," is social fascist language.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It does give the impression that the only people who use "inclusive language" are disingenuous liberals. "Unity is our strength and diversity is our power," is social fascist language.

I wonder if it’s the other direction - pretty much the only public language disingenuous liberals use is “inclusive language”. so maybe people don’t necessarily disagree with the values in that kind of political speech, they just recognize it immediately as a shibboleth identifying someone that doesn’t give the slightest poo poo about their material conditions, and they react with the appropriate disgust.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

I wonder if it’s the other direction - pretty much the only public language disingenuous liberals use is “inclusive language”. so maybe people don’t necessarily disagree with the values in that kind of political speech, they just recognize it immediately as a shibboleth identifying someone that doesn’t give the slightest poo poo about their material conditions, and they react with the appropriate disgust.

yep
people don’t need to be politically astute to smell cynical hr bullshit from a mile away and now the only people who think that sort of thing is good have either fully dissolved their brain with the idea that liberal etiquette is the cure for the world’s ills or they have such a low opinion of the average person that they think everyone else is stupid enough to fall for it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

It's this.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

it's exactly this, most people don't literally disagree with being inclusive, it's just that most people don't really care at all either way, so either side making it into some kind of shibboleth just makes their message harder, but the right gets an advantage of being opposed to the more scolding and moralistic side while the libs sound much more phony to be constantly putting on the affectation of their 'inclusive language' while refusing to actually do anything meaningful for the groups they're trying to 'include'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's way easier to be the guys saying 'we're not going to yell at you for not saying your 'centering bipoc voices' in your company website' than it is to be the guys who think that phrase matters while not doing anything to protect said bipoc workers. The problem is the only mainstream side doing that first thing are doing it because they also fuckin hate those bipoc workers so uh-oh!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

Yeah I think it's this. Thing is that diversity is a good thing, in fact a lot of the things that appear in the most hated soundbites are good things, but people hear them and know that the person saying them is disingenuous because all that centrist liberals do is say generic disingenuous soundbites and then never act on them. Not to go into too much detail, but basically look at the difference between the "woke moderate" complaining about nonspecific "special interests" that are preventing generic goals: "addressing systemic racism, climate change, and access to affordable health care", versus the "populist progressive" outright saying the problem is "the superrich", "politicians in Washington", "the millionaires and the lobbyists", and then giving concrete goals for what they want to accomplish: "good jobs, good wages, and guaranteed health care for every single American".

imo it isn't that inclusive language is bad, it's that people know that politicians who cloak generic, meaningless promises in inclusive language never actually do anything good for them, and they respond much better, unsurprisingly, to politicians who are willing to bluntly name both their goals and their enemies.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea there's a reason the democratic lawmakers kneeling for however many minutes while wearing the kente cloth is a meme, it's not because people think giving George Floyd respect is bad, it's because those motherfuckers had no plans of DOING anything with their power to back it up, they just wanted the picture op. We joke about voters being dumb, and voters are 'dumb' in the sense of polling predictions and all, but they're not actually morons incapable of seeing patterns, they knew phony poo poo when it happens.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I am still 100% convinced that particular stunt was more of a reaction to Mitt Romney than anything else, Romney made a point of being video'd marching with protesters and saying "black lives matter" one day before they did the kente cloth stunt.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/07/politics/mitt-romney-black-lives-matter-protest/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/politics/democrats-criticized-kente-cloth-trnd/index.html

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

vyelkin posted:

imo it isn't that inclusive language is bad, it's that people know that politicians who cloak generic, meaningless promises in inclusive language never actually do anything good for them, and they respond much better, unsurprisingly, to politicians who are willing to bluntly name both their goals and their enemies.

I don't think it is either, and I don't think the study actually says that, but a lot of people obviously do believe any form of inclusive language is bad, and not just conservatives.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
There's a whole lot of people who will pretend to support inclusive language because they think they need to for decorum. But the second they feel the winds changing, they'll go mask off about it quick

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
It's hard to talk about the problems of political correctness as a white male. Because when my segment is pandered to without any serious concern for addressing problems, it's treated as completely normal.

"We need to fight for middle class people and their families. Defend the freedoms that our forefathers fought for."

It's just as meaningless and useless, but it lacks the double whammy of offending racists. At the same time, plenty of people know when you're bullshitting them, and if you don't, Twitter will give you a blue check.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

See that actually isn't meaningless at all, it's such a blatant dogwhistle line you should be embarrassed for not recognizing it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah that right there is the fourteen words but for cowards lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dems are Grunts from the Halo games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06TYGwJrd48