Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

lament.cfg posted:

22 hours of labor, 11 minutes of pushing, and we got ourselves a babby

hell yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

welcome to dad club.

The first rule of dad club is to tell everyone about dad club (and how little you've slept)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

(and how little you've slept)

my kids are three years apart and the six odd years of randomly interrupted sleep really did a number on my mental health. thankfully all that's done with now and i'm gradually returning to sanity, but y'all take care of yourselves.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

welcome to dad club.

The first rule of dad club is to tell everyone about dad club (and how little you've slept)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

lament.cfg posted:

hell yeah

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

lament.cfg posted:

Great success!

Congrats brah.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
congrats!

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

lament.cfg posted:

congrats, my dude!

I tell every new dad this advice: if your wife's breastfeeding, it's OK/normal if she doesn't produce much milk for the first couple of days. As long as the baby's nursing often enough, it'll come in. Babies usually lose a little bit of weight during this time, and that's OK.

If you already knew all that, then congratulations: you're more prepared than I was.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 4, 2021

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Can I post here yet we got a c section scheduled in 2.5 weeks and this chunk is already 8 lbs

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Mr. Crow posted:

Can I post here yet we got a c section scheduled in 2.5 weeks and this chunk is already 8 lbs

No expecting dads allowed unless you want to open up a portal to a world of pain and suffering in your life because you, like me, get to live in terror of the forthcoming sleep depravation as described by current dads

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Also grats! Apparently our internal yospos clocks all synced up because we sure were all loving a whole lot last spring.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

shoeberto posted:

we sure were all loving a whole lot last spring.

beats workin

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Poopernickel posted:

congrats, my dude!

I tell every new dad this advice: if your wife's breastfeeding, it's OK/normal if she doesn't produce much milk for the first couple of days. As long as the baby's nursing often enough, it'll come in. Babies usually lose a little bit of weight during this time, and that's OK.

If you already knew all that, then congratulations: you're more prepared than I was.

also, time to bust out those 5/10 minute meals because your wife/partner is going to be hongry when the milk kicks in lol

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Mr. Crow posted:

my kid came in over 10 lbs, good luck to mama

we tried induction but baby was breech with umbilical wrapped so they did emergency c. the operating room is wild just keep your spirits up and talk through it, worked for us

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

my stepdads beer posted:

also, time to bust out those 5/10 minute meals because your wife/partner is going to be hongry when the milk kicks in lol

while my wife was breastfeeding, I made a egg/cheese/tomato/sausage on a bagel breakfast sandwich for each of us every morning for a month or longer. it was a magical time

(normally she does not have the appetite for such a thing and I don’t have the motivation to make or clean up after myself if I’m cooking one just for myself)

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I’m so loving tired

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

lament.cfg posted:

I’m so loving tired

You guys still at the hospital?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

lament.cfg posted:

I’m so loving tired

it gets a little better after the second or third month or so!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

babbo update: not a lot of consonants but she’s sure figured out shrieking and yelling

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Spoiler alert: Scary stuff but babby is a-ok

We’re packing up to leave the hospital and I finally have a minute to breathe. He came Friday night and did a bunch of skin to skin first thing, looked great, was even moving his head around strongly. Tiny dude at 37wk1d though, 5lb12oz 18.75”

He was good for a while but his temp got a little low so nursing took him to the warmer in the room, did some glucose testing, vaccines etc. Blood sugar was low so they did some glucose gel and formula. While in the warmer he started having breathing difficulties and then stopped breathing for probably a few seconds but felt like an hour. The nurse ran back to him and cleared out some mucus and stuff, and they bagged him for a couple breaths until his oxygen sat came back up.

Got sent to the NICU that night on IV nutrition, warming lamp, and monitoring. He perked up pretty well that night even, and by next morning was looking good. Came off IV and warming and just stayed on monitoring after that.

Since then he’s been eating, pooping, and crying like a champ. We think he was weak from the low glucose and temp and regurged too much formula and choked since he was in the warmer on his back. Just a lot of bad luck all
coming together at the same time.

Anyway, he’s off getting chopped and other than mild jaundice that didn’t even qualify for phototherapy, he’s as healthy as can be for a tiny babby.

Cant wait to be home.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lament.cfg posted:

congratulation mate

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Met with the Principal about my ADHD 9yo's 4th Grade Teacher who is a Jerk.

Principal was appropriately concerned (especially that we had not received an email back from said teacher for four days after expressing concern about a discipline outcome).

But I was so distracted during the entire meeting because the principal was wearing a fake/bead/mesh mask. It just made me angry about the whole system and I had to pull back my own ADHD tendency to "LETS MAKE EVERYTHING BAD BECAUSE MY LIFE IS OUT OF CONTROL VAGUELY BECAUSE OF YOUR AUTHORITY".

Thanks to my excellent impersonation of someone who is eloquent and has their poo poo together, we think we got our point across. The jerk teacher finally got back to us, but it was another condescending screed about how they've tried everything they do for neurotypicals that are struggling, but nothing seems to help. So the exwife and I crafted up a two page essay in response that is hopefully only half as condescending. I was a good boy and deleted "PS: Please excuse the lateness of our reply" despite thinking it was Very Witty and The Peak of Public School In a Bougie Neighborhood Wit

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
just homeschool at this point what the gently caress

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

lament.cfg posted:

as healthy as can be for a tiny babby.
Hell yeah. Welcome to the rest of your life

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

MrQueasy posted:

Met with the Principal about my ADHD 9yo's 4th Grade Teacher who is a Jerk.

Principal was appropriately concerned (especially that we had not received an email back from said teacher for four days after expressing concern about a discipline outcome).

But I was so distracted during the entire meeting because the principal was wearing a fake/bead/mesh mask. It just made me angry about the whole system and I had to pull back my own ADHD tendency to "LETS MAKE EVERYTHING BAD BECAUSE MY LIFE IS OUT OF CONTROL VAGUELY BECAUSE OF YOUR AUTHORITY".

Thanks to my excellent impersonation of someone who is eloquent and has their poo poo together, we think we got our point across. The jerk teacher finally got back to us, but it was another condescending screed about how they've tried everything they do for neurotypicals that are struggling, but nothing seems to help. So the exwife and I crafted up a two page essay in response that is hopefully only half as condescending. I was a good boy and deleted "PS: Please excuse the lateness of our reply" despite thinking it was Very Witty and The Peak of Public School In a Bougie Neighborhood Wit

friend, I can't offer anything to help, but I'm vicariously furious with you because this is all grade-A bullshit, and they all sound awful

But also: props to staying composed, because I completely understand that impulse of "this is fundamentally wrong and I'm gonna make a god drat SCENE about it", can't imagine how much more intense it's gotta be wrt your own kid's school system

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

My friend's trans kid got denied self-gendering *again*, during a split-by-gender activity (which isn't supposed to be thing to begin with) then got told to get bent when she complained. I'm gonna start wearing that trans patch with a loving gun on it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

evil_bunnY posted:

My friend's trans kid got denied self-gendering *again*, during a split-by-gender activity (which isn't supposed to be thing to begin with) then got told to get bent when she complained. I'm gonna start wearing that trans patch with a loving gun on it.

how old is the kid?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Stringent posted:

how old is the kid?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

my son's latest thing is skipping his nap which means he falls asleep at 6pm during dinner every night. hell yes. enjoying this while it lasts

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
my 3 year old son just made a tiny developmental leap and now doesn’t pop out of his bed a ton of times before going to sleep and his rate of coming to snuggle in our bed in the middle of the night has also gone way down

he’s also started saying, “I love you, daddy” or “I like you, sister” etc with some frequency, just because

for a while he’s been good at talking but would try to get what he wanted in more baby-like ways inside of the family- now he’s starting to use his words more for his wants and just for sharing what’s going on in his head

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

my stepdads beer posted:

my son's latest thing is skipping his nap which means he falls asleep at 6pm during dinner every night. hell yes. enjoying this while it lasts
You can literally parlay this into early bedtime for the foreseeable future. Don't gently caress it up.

prisoner of waffles posted:

he’s starting to use his words more for his wants and just for sharing what’s going on in his head
Hell yeah little guy

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

stayed at a hotel to go to a wedding, I was on baby duty all day which was fine (a terrible idea and a logistical nightmare, but fine in the end), except she somehow climbed out of the travel cot in the morning and got down onto the floor and we have no idea how. that was a worrying wake-up!

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

stayed at a hotel to go to a wedding, I was on baby duty all day which was fine (a terrible idea and a logistical nightmare, but fine in the end), except she somehow climbed out of the travel cot in the morning and got down onto the floor and we have no idea how. that was a worrying wake-up!

Probably levitation or spider powers. Baby is a future xman op
(for real, hope whatever they managed to pull off, they didn't hurt themselves in the process)

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

So once the baby is here I'm guessing everything is going to be just a blur of sleep deprivation/taking care of baby/taking care of wife for a while. Do any of you guys have tips for that? Like anything I should do for myself ahead of time?

I think I'm mostly wondering what are good activities to recharge myself a bit even when I'm wiped. Even just phone games or something. Or is that unlikely to even be a concern?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

sleep, caffeine, cocaine??!?

phone games ain’t it

my chess.com elo is ruined from trying to play to keep myself awake

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i watched tv with little jones a lot. that's how i both watched marco polo and remember almost nothing about it!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

i always wondered why children and babies were sticky all the time until I had one

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

shoeberto posted:

Probably levitation or spider powers. Baby is a future xman op
(for real, hope whatever they managed to pull off, they didn't hurt themselves in the process)

yeah she's fine. Idk I think she somehow ragdolled out and landed on her feet? we've got no idea how she managed it. The sides on the cot at home aren't any higher so this could be the start of something very bad.

she's only 1 ffs, it's too early for this :mad:

shoeberto posted:

I think I'm mostly wondering what are good activities to recharge myself a bit even when I'm wiped. Even just phone games or something. Or is that unlikely to even be a concern?

just post, op

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

shoeberto posted:

So once the baby is here I'm guessing everything is going to be just a blur of sleep deprivation/taking care of baby/taking care of wife for a while. Do any of you guys have tips for that? Like anything I should do for myself ahead of time?

my wife and i found something bed and tv based that we could do together while baby was either napping or nursing. for us it was breath of the wild and a few tv shows i forget but it was a nice way for us to spend quiet time together without feeling like we had to do anything other than sitting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

shoeberto posted:

Sleep. Sleep it good to recharge yourself. Then making agreements about me time with your partner.