Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

:toot:

I'm going to assume it was the West Ham game I attended that day - there was a gobby fucker 5 or 6 down who wouldn't shut up about face nappies (I walked to the stadium and back, so that would have been my only prolonged contact with anyone, and it was outdoors at least). Got my booster on the 29th so I'm about as protected as I'm going to get, and I've got my PCR test booked for 5 o'clock this afternoon (which is a pretty impressively short wait, IMO) but I think I'm going to skip the next couple of home games at least until we know how bad this poo poo is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
The funnest thing about this has been trying to figure out if waking up with dyspnea and feeling lightheaded easily is psychosomatic or the real deal. Probably just anxiety.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Elea posted:

If you think the government should act more drastically already to prevent hundreds of thousands of deaths right now with delta, and posit things like a further immune escaping covid worsening the pandemic, like is predicted by experts, you are drowning in a repugnant stew of psychological damage your own hand stirs. Seek out nature friend. Death will sweep through as it does, killing and maiming, look at the trees all around you. It's not politically feasible, feel of the changing ground beneath you. To do anything, breath deep. Don't be a doomer.

Hmm.

Don't like this post.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm amazed that you actually got pinged, I assumed a lot of people uninstalled the app or just forgot it was there, given that Covid Is Over*.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

:toot:

I'm going to assume it was the West Ham game I attended that day - there was a gobby fucker 5 or 6 down who wouldn't shut up about face nappies (I walked to the stadium and back, so that would have been my only prolonged contact with anyone, and it was outdoors at least). Got my booster on the 29th so I'm about as protected as I'm going to get, and I've got my PCR test booked for 5 o'clock this afternoon (which is a pretty impressively short wait, IMO) but I think I'm going to skip the next couple of home games at least until we know how bad this poo poo is.

Wow I can't believe the contact tracing system is actually working for you guys. The US has some scattered state-specific garbage that has never worked or helped anyone as far as I can tell, so I ditched it a long time ago.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm amazed that you actually got pinged, I assumed a lot of people uninstalled the app or just forgot it was there, given that Covid Is Over*.

TBH I completely forgot I even had it on there, they either fixed the app or Android so I didn't get that slightly heart-stopping flash of the notification icon whenever I unlocked the phone, and yeah I'm also surprised that anyone else still has it on after all that "pingdemic" bullshit back in the summer.

(And to show well it works, the moment I saw this notification I instantly developed all of the symptoms of terminal covid - a pain in my ankle, a slightly runny nose, and a feeling of impending doom)

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 12, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It was always opt-in in the US so you were only ever going to get notifications from the kind of person too cautious to infect you, anyway.

Maybe it's the same way in other countries and adoption just went better because it wasn't hampered by right wing extremism.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tiny Timbs posted:

Wow I can't believe the contact tracing system is actually working for you guys. The US has some scattered state-specific garbage that has never worked or helped anyone as far as I can tell, so I ditched it a long time ago.

It is weird just how whiplash-inducingly mixed our response has been - I believe we still lead the world in amount of testing and sequencing after a very rocky start, the app *was* working relatively well until everyone decided that it wasn't because somehow it kept pinging people who had jobs to go to, and while it tailed off our vaccine rollout was amazingly efficient at the start. On the other hand... well just about loving everything, we're still losing over a hundred people a day, our hospitals are getting the poo poo kicked out of them, and our response to Omicron has been "Suppose you should probably start wearing masks or something IDK".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tiny Timbs posted:

It was always opt-in in the US so you were only ever going to get notifications from the kind of person too cautious to infect you, anyway.

Maybe it's the same way in other countries and adoption just went better because it wasn't hampered by right wing extremism.

It's entirely optional here too - I believe before the summer there were about 15 million users (so around 25%). No idea what it is now, though, but I suspect considerably lower than that.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
The Canada app has been pretty pointless. It's federal, so at least there's not like a patchwork of apps (some provinces haven't adopted it because gently caress Trudeau or something), but like other people said, the only people using it are the people who aren't high risk anyway (people still talk about it and the QR code scanners "tracking you" even though they're completely incapable of it). As of May it had only logged 33,000 covid cases out of 1.3 million at that point.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Tiny Timbs posted:

As far as I know, hardly anyone uses the Canadian version. It didn't help that my province didn't sign on to adopt it.

I ended up uninstalling it because it seemed like a wasted effort. :(

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

enki42 posted:

The Canada app has been pretty pointless. It's federal, so at least there's not like a patchwork of apps (some provinces haven't adopted it because gently caress Trudeau or something), but like other people said, the only people using it are the people who aren't high risk anyway (people still talk about it and the QR code scanners "tracking you" even though they're completely incapable of it). As of May it had only logged 33,000 covid cases out of 1.3 million at that point.

It also can, as I discovered a week ago, randomly turn itself off.

Some friends tested positive after we were all at the same event. When my one buddy mentioned he entered his one time code into the app, I was real confused why I never got a notification. So I booted into the app and was greeted with "Exposure notifications Off! Do you want to turn them on?". Now I know for sure it was checking it a week prior so it must have been some sort of bug. Turn it on and yep, big ol' exposure notification. I wasn't the only one. Few other folks I know discovered they had the exact same issue after I mentioned it.

The app's determination of who is a "close contact" is also real spotty. I got a notification but my girlfriend didn't despite us both being around the dude in question at the same time.

Ended up negative which was good. Less good was the total clusterfuck that is York Region's contact tracing for possible exposure. Some people got emails, some people got phone calls, some people got robocalls, some people got texts, some people (myself included) got nothing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

learnincurve posted:

Please, I wish this thread would stop with this "long covid" stuff, it's a term as bad and vague as "Autism".

It's a colloquial term that means "long-term symptoms related to covid-19", I'm going to continue using it because I'm not a doctor talking to a patient

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i call it large covid

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

QuarkJets posted:

It's a colloquial term that means "long-term symptoms related to covid-19", I'm going to continue using it because I'm not a doctor talking to a patient

I think the point is that there's definitely a tendency to take facts like "25% of people experience long covid" and "long covid can include serious effect X', and start thinking / implying that "25% of people with COVID get serious effect X".

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just thought "long covid" is experiencing some type of long term effect.

That's it.

No specific anything. It's just a general term meaning that someone who got covid might experience some sort of persistent issue. I didn't think there was any other definition.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That's it.

No specific anything. It's just a general term meaning that someone who got covid might experience some sort of persistent issue. I didn't think there was any other definition.

IIRC the official definition is any symptoms or effects after 28 days.

So if you have symptoms until day 35 and then it goes away you have Long COVID, but you also have Long COVID if you're still dealing with brain fog and shortness of breath 6+ months later.

But that's why the spectrum matters because the former is less of a big deal since things resolved but the latter is a big loving deal.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 12, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That's it.

Yes, you're right, the problem with that is, without knowing the prevalence of the various effects, it's not really possible to say anything useful about Long COVID. An occasional headache or cough that lasts for 6 weeks is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things (certainly nothing we'd want to impose extra restrictions for), while permanent brain fog and shortness of breath is absolutely a big deal. Long COVID is both of those things, and I think there's a tendency for people who downplay COVID to assume that it's mostly the former, and people who magnify the dangers of COVID to assume it's mostly the latter.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

enki42 posted:

I think the point is that there's definitely a tendency to take facts like "25% of people experience long covid" and "long covid can include serious effect X', and start thinking / implying that "25% of people with COVID get serious effect X".

I haven't seen anyone express that kind of belief, and I don't think that's true

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

QuarkJets posted:

I haven't seen anyone express that kind of belief, and I don't think that's true

There are people in the D&D and CSPAM threads who call COVID "airborne Parkinson's" because they believe long COVID is so likely to cause brain damage.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
A friend of mine's wife just tested positive in Indiana. His older son probably has it, too, but not yet tested.

Apparently their daughter is required to attend school tomorrow because she's asymptomatic despite the house being full of viruses.

Indiana sucks, man. I've complained about Illinois a bunch over the years, but drat.

(My friend has had 3x Pfizer but his wife has only had J&J. She was supposed to be boosted a few weeks ago but had a sinus infection and couldn't. And now... Welp.)

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
My exes cousin living with her tested positive (double jabbed) and was in isolation, my ex was doing okay but she got it either from the cousin or outside.

She had AZx2 plus Good Juice Booster in October.

Like, goddayum :smith:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

gohuskies posted:

There are people in the D&D and CSPAM threads who call COVID "airborne Parkinson's" because they believe long COVID is so likely to cause brain damage.

That does not imply that they believe all long covid cases result in conditions like Parkinson's, similar to how referring to it as "the boomer remover" did not mean that the person thought it killed all boomers

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

QuarkJets posted:

That does not imply that they believe all long covid cases result in conditions like Parkinson's, similar to how referring to it as "the boomer remover" did not mean that the person thought it killed all boomers

Seems like this person maybe does!

poll plane variant posted:

A mild case is still a death sentence imo, it gets into the brain, you'll wish you'd had pneumonia. Acute severity is really pretty irrelevant with airborne Parkinson's

I know I'm cherrypicking an extreme case to make a point, but I really do think the ambiguity (for better or for worse) around what long COVID actually is does make discussion around the issue less clear.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That post is over a month old, by a troll both repeatedly and currently banned for antivax posting, who immediately got called out for posting nonsense. Someone banned from the covid thread for trolling is not a good representative of what the covid thread people think.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Jestery posted:

That makes one of us

Anecdotally: had a rough few days with Moderna shot #2 (fever/chills/weird rear end dreams overnight, complete exhaustion and brain fog for the following week), but a very mild reaction to shot #3 which I paired with a flu shot - basically just another night of fever dreams/chills/even weirder dreams but that was it. Arm was barely even sore.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

QuarkJets posted:

There's definitely a conflating of Long COVID with brain damage, which while it does absolutely happen, doesn't represent (I think?) the majority of long covid. There was as recently as today someone saying that some of the reason that service industries have gotten worse is because people have become more stupid due to long covid brain damage.

I think it can go the other way as well, its just as bad to assume that Long COVID always just mean "oh you had a cough for 30 days" or even worse, that it's always psychosomatic or whatever, there's just so little info that it's difficult to make any definitive statement about how long covid should inform risk, and people have a tendency to land on either extreme depending on their preconceived notions.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

On the Omicron front, apparently here in Ontario 21% of cases are Omicron as of today (it was estimated as 11% on Friday). Observed Rt is currently over 3. That's maybe a week and a half from the first reported cases of Omicron in the province.

So this definitely moves fast, I assume it will be dominant in less than a week.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

gohuskies posted:

It's not uncommon:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4684089/

Personally I'm hoping to let other people prove or disprove this for COVID before I venture back into the wide world, but pretending it's not a possibility when we're only 2 years into the long term effects of a novel virus seems a little hubristic.

I think Long Covid is A Thing. I don't know how much of A Thing, given how many of the worst symptoms described could also just be post-ICU syndrome. I am willing to remain removed from society for a few years until it is proven to not be A Thing.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 12, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Boris Johnson has just said he wants every over-18 in the UK to be boosted *by the end of the month*. That would be a run-rate of a million vaccinations *a day*, give or take, 7 days a week. The previous high was the day they opened up first jabs to under-30s, when they hit 800k - for which they needed more or less every person in the country qualified to give a vaccination on-duty, and opened up massive pop-up centres at football stadiums, as well as having the mass centres at convention centres and other large venues running at full capacity. Those large centres are almost all now closed, with the jabs being given mostly at hospitals, doctor's surgeries and pharmacies. We're currently doing around 450k/day - an impressive number given the circumstances - and I just don't see where the capacity can possibly come from.

It's not *impossible* to pull off but for him to even talk about it as an ambition suggests that the government are *seriously* spooked about the Omicron numbers.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Wang Commander posted:

So I've been Max Titering a full Moderna dose every 3 weeks since my second dose back in February. I had to get some blood work done for my annual physical and they said my blood looked unusual in the tube, like visibly. They thought it was excessive lipids at first, but my cholesterol was normal, so they ran some more tests and it was antibodies. Anyway my doctor says my blood is way too viscous now and it explains why my blood pressure is up and they're worried about my kidneys between the inflammation and the thickening! I haven't come clean about the boosters yet so if you see a preprint about an insanely excessive antibody production with the Moderna vaxx it's just me and my boy Max.
This is almost certainly fake but lol it sure got everyone's attention

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It's not uncommon:

Uncommon doesn’t mean what you think it means.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

enki42 posted:

Yes, you're right, the problem with that is, without knowing the prevalence of the various effects, it's not really possible to say anything useful about Long COVID. An occasional headache or cough that lasts for 6 weeks is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things (certainly nothing we'd want to impose extra restrictions for), while permanent brain fog and shortness of breath is absolutely a big deal. Long COVID is both of those things, and I think there's a tendency for people who downplay COVID to assume that it's mostly the former, and people who magnify the dangers of COVID to assume it's mostly the latter.

Then just specify the long term problem.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Boris Johnson has just said he wants every over-18 in the UK to be boosted *by the end of the month*. That would be a run-rate of a million vaccinations *a day*, give or take, 7 days a week. The previous high was the day they opened up first jabs to under-30s, when they hit 800k - for which they needed more or less every person in the country qualified to give a vaccination on-duty, and opened up massive pop-up centres at football stadiums, as well as having the mass centres at convention centres and other large venues running at full capacity. Those large centres are almost all now closed, with the jabs being given mostly at hospitals, doctor's surgeries and pharmacies. We're currently doing around 450k/day - an impressive number given the circumstances - and I just don't see where the capacity can possibly come from.

It's not *impossible* to pull off but for him to even talk about it as an ambition suggests that the government are *seriously* spooked about the Omicron numbers.

Not to doompost but the "leaks" about Plan C, the "experts warn" news headline herpes and the actual cold, hard numbers suggest strongly that UK is absolutely going to another lockdown.

Just anectodal evidence is like nearly everyone around me is getting this again, I got pinged (isolate if you are not double jabbed) twice now and seems like all my clients have breakouts in their offices/factories.

Welp, time to resume baking and pick up wild swimmimg :smith:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

As far as the contact tracing app on the iPhone and such, apparently the contact tracer who calls you is supposed to tell you a code to enter. That seems like something no one would ever do.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

gohuskies posted:

https://twitter.com/fitterhappieraj/status/1470109244011827205?s=21

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

smackfu posted:

As far as the contact tracing app on the iPhone and such, apparently the contact tracer who calls you is supposed to tell you a code to enter. That seems like something no one would ever do.

Yeah the health department in my state was giving those out for positive tests but they took days to do it and also never bothered to give them out to people presumed positive who didn't get tested (i.e., quarantining family members)

Leonardi is yet another one of those twitter bullshit artists capitalizing off the COVID audience

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't have to go too far past the summary to discover that the patient was displaying signs of central nervous system disorder four months before she tested positive for COVID. According to the clinical history, she spent a total of at least thirty-one days hospitalized (plus several visits of unspecified length) due to seizures and signs of potential nervous system damage before testing positive or displaying noticeable COVID symptoms. Additionally, her final cause of death involved considerable ischemic injury (i.e., oxygen starvation of tissues) due to respiratory failure and severe blood clots, both things that can cause brain damage

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 12, 2021

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
C-SPAM also has someone who claims to have gotten 30+ Moderna shots and it's turning his blood to goo - screenshots in tweet:

https://twitter.com/drewtoothpaste/status/1470123702364913673

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

gohuskies posted:

Well, if I was looking for people intimately familiar with brain damage then D&D and CSPAM is where I'd start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Tiny Timbs posted:

Leonardi is yet another one of those twitter bullshit artists capitalizing off the COVID audience
What has he bullshitted about? I'm hardly aware of 100% of what he's tweeted, but he's consistently said things to the effect of "Experts saying that things are fine are morons or grifters," and uh, that's sadly been correct.