Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

It's not horror but I just finished watching HBO's Chernobyl miniseries and I'm wondering why there's not more nuclear horror. Anyone have suggestions? The only thing I can think of really is Godzilla and that's its own thing.
I think some folks would call Threads a horror movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Miracle Mile isn't really a horror, but it's got a feature length Twilight Zone episode vibe. It's also fantastic.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Tarnop posted:

really like the book/film that Midnight Mass is riffing on (I won't name it because that would be quite a spoiler)

Can you name it in spoilers? Maybe it's something I haven't read but once the vampire foundation of the story became clear it seemed to me like an island version of the 'Salem's Lot story.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just watched Kill List and that might be the most unsettling movie I've ever seen. Everything from the characters to the lighting to the music is just out to freak you

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
I gotta watch Kill List again, it's horrible (great). Recently added to Shudder too.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Retro Futurist posted:

Just watched Kill List and that might be the most unsettling movie I've ever seen. Everything from the characters to the lighting to the music is just out to freak you

Truly a movie that sticks with me. From what I understand a good bit of the domestic fighting was improvised and holy poo poo does just that portion set my teeth on edge.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Zwabu posted:

Can you name it in spoilers? Maybe it's something I haven't read but once the vampire foundation of the story became clear it seemed to me like an island version of the 'Salem's Lot story.

Yeah, you got it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dos just dropped on Netflix this weekend, about two strangers who wake up stitched together at the abdomen. It's a silly low-budget Spanish body-horror with dumb twists that doesn't do a good job of committing to the body horror or even the dumb twists for long

But! The ending made me laugh (not sure this was what was intended!) and it was only seventy minutes long, so I can accurately/honestly say it still gave me more enjoyment than the entirety of the Human Centipede trilogy

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Devil's Pass was cool but I am so tired of time loop stuff

Also I did not expect Renny Harlins name to come up as the director.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/chrisricewriter...s1_c10&ref_url=

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Not even a week ago, I randomly decide to start my first re-rad of Interview with the Vampire in a decade. And now this.

The movie was quite excellent too, since we're in the movie thread. It's been a long time but I think I saw it before I read the novel. I like both a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIJkDAvCYyU

Rest in peace.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I feel like Interview got dismissed as a chick flick at the time, but it's great. Tom Cruise is such a good villain.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

davidspackage posted:

I feel like Interview got dismissed as a chick flick at the time, but it's great. Tom Cruise is such a good villain.

I still think people are pretty dismissive of it but I liked it. I’m a sucker for stories about immortals living through different costumey eras. Never read the books though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Anne Rice is the reason AO3 (the fanfiction archive) now has a legal team.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I actually watched Interview With The Vampire yesterday!!

It’s something alright. I was in the mood for big budget camp and it delivered massively. Both Cruise and Pitt seemed horribly miscast, but Cruise was at least entertaining.

Cryomancer
Jan 22, 2005

Indeed.

Chris James 2 posted:

Flanagan's next project, Fall of the House of Usher, filming soon

https://twitter.com/flanaganfilm/status/1469026763468509184

Frank Langella as Roderick Usher
Carla Gugino
Mary McDonnell as Madeline Usher
Carl Lumbly as C Auguste Dupin
Mark Hamill
Henry Thomas
Samantha Sloyan
T'Nia Miller
Rahul Kohli
Kate Siegel
Sauriyan Sapkota
Zach Gilford
Katie Parker
Michael Trucco
Malcolm Goodwin
Crystal Balint
Paola Nunez
Aya Furukawa
Matt Biedel
Daniel Jun
Ruth Codd
Robert Longstreet
Annabeth Gish
Igby Rigney
JayR Tinaco

Not on-subject, sorry, but that's a dumb and increasingly more common use of the word 'remix.'

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I assume he means its gonna be a mash up of different Poe stories instead of a straight up adaption of Usher. "remix" is a weird thing to call it but I guess its meant to distinguish from "remake".

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Cryomancer posted:

dumb and increasingly more common

But enough about Mike Flanagan

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I remember going to see Interview on opening weekend not expecting much, in disbelief that Tom Cruise had been cast as Lestat, but being blown away by it. Very pleasantly surprised.

I thought it all worked really well.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I've never seen the movie but I was def one of those kids in high school who would read Interview With The Vampire while Type O Negative played so that sucks. RIP :(

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Anne Rice is the reason AO3 (the fanfiction archive) now has a legal team.

RIP to a real one :patriot:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I bet her sales would have been double what they are now if she'd let the fan fiction community run wild.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

fan fiction is like book mods, add dicks, profit

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

Haven't seen it but will watch and report back!

It's not horror but I just finished watching HBO's Chernobyl miniseries and I'm wondering why there's not more nuclear horror. Anyone have suggestions? The only thing I can think of really is Godzilla and that's its own thing.

The first Godzilla absolutely counts as a horror movie.

None of the others do, though 85 has shades of it. Shin has...could have been but wasn't.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

I bet her sales would have been double what they are now if she'd let the fan fiction community run wild.

respect for holding firm against the tide, then

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Return of Godzilla has got one of the comparitevely few jump scares in the Godzilla series, where the torch is switched on to reveal the corpse of one of the crewmembers killed by the giant sea louse.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
What are some good Christmas horror films that are not campy, and also not about a Krampus or other famous Christmas cryptid?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Argue posted:

What are some good Christmas horror films that are not campy, and also not about a Krampus or other famous Christmas cryptid?

Christmas Evil is the pinnacle of Christmas Horror

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Argue posted:

Prometheus unless the xenomorph is a yuletide cryptid

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Argue posted:

Black Christmas
Rare Exports (ok, it is, but it’s good)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I trapped the devil is a supernatural Christmas horror. I didn’t love it tho but maybe you might.

Also gremlins does count.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

RIP to a real one :patriot:

Then she wrote and published an entire series of erotic Sleeping Beauty fanfic lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I just got to the scene in the chucky tv series where Tiffany reveals she prefers actual Nica and I am losing my mind. This is the deranged sapphic content i need in my life.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Argue posted:

I googled "xmas horror movie" and it came up with It's a Wonderful Life. Going to ponder that one for a while.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I finished Chucky, what a finale.
It was developing after Cult but that series solidified my crush on Fiona Dourif. Speaking of Cult Nina's fate almost felt like a continuation of the Hannibal references since it was similar to the finale with Gillian Anderson, 4x...
Anyway bring back the realtor/apple lady in season 2, she was funny in both of her scenes.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Argue posted:

Better Watch Out is really good, and best to go into without reading up on it first.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 13, 2021

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Gaz2k21 posted:

Christmas Evil is the pinnacle of Christmas Horror

It’s pretty campy though.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Devorum posted:

Then she wrote and published an entire series of erotic Sleeping Beauty fanfic lol

it rules lmfao

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m gonna stream my short film around 7pm mst and maybe another showing at 8 or something if anyone wants to see it.

Gonna do it on cytube so you don’t have to discord it or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Really the only Christmas horror movie I can think of that isn't at least somewhat campy and/or ridiculous is Black Christmas, which was already mentioned. I guess because of how they're playing around with the holiday in the context of a horror film, they tend to skew more towards over the top situations, weird creatures, and goofy costumes.

Although Christmas Evil is a unique mix of both serious and ridiculous, I can't think of anything quite like it within the Christmas horror subgenre.