Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
butter treats

oh gently caress this is the worst snipe and i have no content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lol rip

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite: I'm existing just for listing!!! > Idiots on Social Media: Thank you all for the warning but I did not listen

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ultrafilter posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite: I'm existing just for listing!!! > Idiots on Social Media: Thank you all for the warning but I did not listen

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Coolness Averted posted:

I choose to believe Clinton personally uploaded this in 2016

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Disney's Hall of Presidents really going the extra mile.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm not surprised at the transphobia, but I was shocked by how blatant it is. Like holy poo poo.

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1470092815506063365?s=20

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Nobody asked for your opinion Joanne.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

A few years ago I remember her being like really politically active about various centre-left issues and then being really mad online about Jeremy Corbyn, but now her timeline is entirely transphobia and Harry Potter. Linehan was the same with becoming single issue obsessed. What is it about these people that turns them from having opinions about a variety of political issues to just focusing 100% of their energy on transphobia?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm not surprised at the transphobia, but I was shocked by how blatant it is. Like holy poo poo.

That subhead makes it sound like all rapes by people with penises will be recorded as women, which would be extremely weird. I assume the Times is just being terrible though.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

That subhead makes it sound like all rapes by people with penises will be recorded as women, which would be extremely weird. I assume the Times is just being terrible though.

I don't know if it's deliberate but it's cutting off the first sentence of the article which is "Police have been criticised for saying they will record rapes by offenders with male genitalia as being committed by a woman if the attacker “identifies as a female”."

Either way The Times is being terrible as always.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Henchman of Santa posted:

I assume the Times is just being terrible though.

incredibly safe assumption

likelihood asymptotically approaching 1

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

A few years ago I remember her being like really politically active about various centre-left issues and then being really mad online about Jeremy Corbyn, but now her timeline is entirely transphobia and Harry Potter. Linehan was the same with becoming single issue obsessed. What is it about these people that turns them from having opinions about a variety of political issues to just focusing 100% of their energy on transphobia?

They have a scapegoat they can blame everything on with impunity, they can't stop and must always escalate.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Has any other big name author ever pissed away virtually all of their cultural good will as hard and as fast as JK Rowling did?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

probably their identities as a "progressives" were very important to them (without actually caring about the issues much), so after saying something low-key transphobic getting called out for it they got super personally offended and started getting really defensive and doubling down over and over about "I'm definitely right, I'm the progressive one here, all these people ratioing me on twitter are the evil ones, I HAVE TO BE RIGHT and just pushing themselves further and further into bigotry like that

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

nine-gear crow posted:

Has any other big name author ever pissed away virtually all of their cultural good will as hard and as fast as JK Rowling did?

Orson Scott Card?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

nine-gear crow posted:

9/11 broke Dan Simmons' brain, but he never had the platform and reach as Rowling does. It's hard to find a comparable author because of that factor, because Rowling had WAY further to fall than most other authors. Like the only person I can think of who would be comparable in cultural reach is like, Stephen King.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

all of their cultural good will

Most people who like Harry Potter have literally no idea about any of Rowling's opinions about anything.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

so she wants rapists to be intentionally misidentified, making it harder to charge them

another great feminist plan from a terf

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Most people who like Harry Potter have literally no idea about any of Rowling's opinions about anything.

And most people who like america have no idea about the child cages

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

3D Megadoodoo posted:

yeah, these days I hear a lot more "I don't support her views but I still enjoy the stories 🤷🏻‍♀️" far more than a couple years back where it was mostly "oh really?! ARE YOU SURE?"

Then there are the ones that don't give a poo poo and the ones who agree.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I dunno, I read those books in middle school and when I got to the part about all the wizard banks being run by hook-nosed goblins that hoard gold coins, I had a pretty good idea about at least some of her opinions.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Either way The Times is being terrible as always.

The Times has been incredibly terfy for some time now with various interviews and articles. Every time someone gets sacked or quits a prominent position due to their terfness, you can bet there'll be a big interview on how badly they've been treated.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I always thought it was a posh British equivalent to the way that Conservative Americans seem to be hugely obsessed with abortion.

No, I don't know why they chose this one issue to focus their hate on.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Crowetron posted:

I dunno, I read those books in middle school and when I got to the part about all the wizard banks being run by hook-nosed goblins that hoard gold coins, I had a pretty good idea about at least some of her opinions.

My oldest daughter has been talking about Harry Potter with her school friends and she asked for the first book for christmas.

Got her a hardback of The Wee Free Men

not sorry

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I'm fairly certain that there are influencial group of transphobes who snatch up people like Rowling and Linehan. Make them feel accepted and strongly encourage them that they are indeed on the right path. And keep supporting them throughout.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Linehan torpedoed whatever career he had left so there must be someone supporting him

Unfortunately Just Kidding is richer than Creosote, so she'll never want for time and leisure to spout off horrible, dangerous opinions

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Memento posted:

Linehan torpedoed whatever career he had left so there must be someone supporting him

Unfortunately Just Kidding is richer than Creosote, so she'll never want for time and leisure to spout off horrible, dangerous opinions

Agreed though I meant more like emotional support to convince them that they are on the right path despite so much opposition.

For all its mainstream support in the UK. Transphobia is not profitable. For most people it's very expensive to be a transphobe.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Feliday Melody posted:

I'm fairly certain that there are influencial group of transphobes who snatch up people like Rowling and Linehan. Make them feel accepted and strongly encourage them that they are indeed on the right path. And keep supporting them throughout.

That makes sense. A lot of the people getting caught up in it are British libs who had their progressive credentials attacked when they started complaining about Corbyn so the validation from TERFs soothing their fragile egos could explain it

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Feliday Melody posted:

Agreed though I meant more like emotional support to convince them that they are on the right path despite so much opposition.

For all its mainstream support in the UK. Transphobia is not profitable. For most people it's very expensive to be a transphobe.

Yeah good point

Also I contend: it could stand to be a lot more expensive for them

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I needed a book as an extra little xmas present for my nephew and my sister thought she'd save me the trouble and picked up the new J K Rowling xmas childrens book while she was out shopping. She's not terminally online like me, and I'm quite sure she didn't have the faintest idea about Rowling views when she bought it.

Deptfordx has a new favorite as of 10:29 on Dec 13, 2021

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Riley's Rule: "Once you start posting transphobia, you never stop."

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Feliday Melody posted:

Oh yeah, that's absolutely a thing. I remember reading an account from a person who used to be with terfs (I can't recall their name for the life of me, but I think they actually ended up transitioning after getting out), and they detailed how there was a very concerted effort to bring them into that particular movement and focus them on terfing. They'd be invited by terfs to conventions and meetups to give talks about gay rights and feminism, but over time there was a rather unsubtle push to refocus their talks away from that and almost exclusively onto the supposed trans menace. They noted how there was very much a feeling of being handled, being passed back and forth between various contact persons and being pushed go to certain events to be essentially shown off to other would-be terfs.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Terfs are literally bankrolled by the American evangelist lobby

It is absolutely culture war bullshit

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I read somewhere that the number one cause of deradicalization of transphobes is boredom. That in an overwhelming majority of social and work environments it just kind of sucks a little bit to be openly transphobic.

Not career destroying or any cataclysmic social consequences. It just kind of sucks in general whenever they try to do a tiny bit of transphobia.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Perestroika posted:

Oh yeah, that's absolutely a thing. I remember reading an account from a person who used to be with terfs (I can't recall their name for the life of me, but I think they actually ended up transitioning after getting out), and they detailed how there was a very concerted effort to bring them into that particular movement and focus them on terfing. They'd be invited by terfs to conventions and meetups to give talks about gay rights and feminism, but over time there was a rather unsubtle push to refocus their talks away from that and almost exclusively onto the supposed trans menace. They noted how there was very much a feeling of being handled, being passed back and forth between various contact persons and being pushed go to certain events to be essentially shown off to other would-be terfs.

This sounds almost exactly like cult grooming.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Perestroika posted:

Lol that even these people got sick of Lineham.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This sounds almost exactly like cult grooming.

It's because it is.
E: to expand upon a glib answer, transphobia is a lot less popular among millennials/gen z so for anyone who wants to be openly transphobic and a popular figure in those circles has to have a support system. Enter the transphobe circuit, of which Lineham and Rowling are now part. Basically you get lovebombed by assholes as they try and turn you into an evangelical rear end in a top hat like them.

Also Rowling has basically been on a 4 year stretch of 'posting her way through the backlash' and I hope it stresses her out all the time.

OPAONI has a new favorite as of 11:46 on Dec 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Old age. Lead poisoning. Untreated mental illness. Dementia. Take your pick.