Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

galagazombie posted:

With all these delays at this point I’m expecting the rest of the season to go full Evangelion and have the last few episodes be a bunch of unanimated pencil sketches and a two minute high school romcom segment.

Well the latest delay was planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

ninjewtsu posted:

tabletop's position is basically that the story should not have constructed itself such that the 86 would choose to protect the alba, and placing them in a circumstance where doing so makes sense makes the story worse.

and i dunno "the 86 should have genocided the alba back" seems like a lovely alternate take even ignoring that the show has presented that as a very real possibility and not particularly condemned the idea

Greetings from the AoT thread, where the story constructing itself in such a way where a revenge genocide seems the only viable path for an oppressed ethnicity to survive gets it labeled as genocide apologia, ignoring how the work diegetically condemns the idea this is any way moral.

2016 broke people's brains.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

ninjewtsu posted:

tabletop's position is basically that the story should not have constructed itself such that the 86 would choose to protect the alba, and placing them in a circumstance where doing so makes sense makes the story worse.

and i dunno "the 86 should have genocided the alba back" seems like a lovely alternate take even ignoring that the show has presented that as a very real possibility and not particularly condemned the idea

I just thought they should have fled east like shin told them and the nazi lady to

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Tabletops posted:

I just thought they should have fled east like shin told them and the nazi lady to

That's...not really an option. Spearhead was able to escape because they were able to BSOD the Legion when they "killed" Shin's brother, giving them a very brief window of opportunity to breach enemy lines. The fact that they were able to then make it as far as they did was only because they were a very small squad, and because of Shin's ability to tell where the enemy was. A mass exodus of regular 86 would have been impossible.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Shin and company also only got to Giad themselves because of what was basically a miracle.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Caros posted:

The 86 aren't fighting to protect the Alba, they're fighting to live. You can lol at the idea that they're protecting infrastructure, but last I checked, guns shoot bullets. People eat food. Future mecha need gas. They could almost certainly sweep through whatever defenses remain in the interior, but do any of them know how to run the factories? Do they have time to figure out the logistics of war when the guys involved in that all have a bullet to the brain? This isn't to say they are stupid, mind you, just that it is reasonable to expect that they probably suffered a lot of brain drain at the barrel of a gun. The people who know how to make sure shipments go to the right places at the right times probably don't do particularly well in giant robot combat.

Spearhead (our general stand-in for the 86 as a whole) were defined by their stubborn refusal to die, even knowing full well that they'd been put in a situation where death was almost inevitable. Are you really so shocked that the same show is pressing that theme to the 86 more generally? That they're much more interested in surviving another day than enacting a bloody race pogrom on the people who tried to genocide them by proxy? Do you think it improves the themes of the show to have them decide 'gently caress it, we're all going to die we might as well go out on a brutal murder spree before the robots kill us?

It should be noted as well that none of the still-living 86 have ever gone to school and will have had none of the training and education needed to actually run and maintain the factories needed to survive, even if they somehow managed to take them while not being slaughtered by the Legion.

Justin_Brett posted:

Shin and company also only got to Giad themselves because of what was basically a miracle.

When the season is over I'll have some more to say on this, because the anime didn't make it as clear as the LN.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

Yeah when super soldier shin and his merry band of skilled veterans need multiple offscreen deus ex machina to occur in order to reach giad it's not really a viable option for most other 86. I don't know that giving the 86 that option would have improved the story really, having the 86 just kinda go "nah I'm out" and walk out on the alba rather defeats the ongoing season 1 theme that their deaths are inevitable and the story is about how they choose to live their life in anticipation of that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

Yeah when super soldier shin and his merry band of skilled veterans need multiple offscreen deus ex machina to occur in order to reach giad it's not really a viable option for most other 86. I don't know that giving the 86 that option would have improved the story really, having the 86 just kinda go "nah I'm out" and walk out on the alba rather defeats the ongoing season 1 theme that their deaths are inevitable and the story is about how they choose to live their life in anticipation of that.

Also it leaves one of the few good Alba, Lena, to die alone. Obviously a pretty big bummer for the audience. At least as is, she goes out fighting to protect the Republic she wants to exist and the 86.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There's also implied to be tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of 86 in camps; you aren't Long Marching them to Giad on a dime.

galagazombie posted:

With all these delays at this point I’m expecting the rest of the season to go full Evangelion and have the last few episodes be a bunch of unanimated pencil sketches and a two minute high school romcom segment.

The end results so far has been more than fine, nothing remotely like Spider's quality issues have resulted from the production issues so there's more reason than not to assume the remaining episodes will also be fine.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Mordja posted:

That's...not really an option. Spearhead was able to escape because they were able to BSOD the Legion when they "killed" Shin's brother, giving them a very brief window of opportunity to breach enemy lines. The fact that they were able to then make it as far as they did was only because they were a very small squad, and because of Shin's ability to tell where the enemy was. A mass exodus of regular 86 would have been impossible.

the last thing shin tells whats her face (that i remember) is to escape east, because the legion offensive will come on the west, shin's squads miracle was them surviving going to the west, through the legions line

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tabletops posted:

the last thing shin tells whats her face (that i remember) is to escape east, because the legion offensive will come on the west, shin's squads miracle was them surviving going to the west, through the legions line

Pretty sure spearhead went east given that they were in the eastern defensive ward and the relative geographical positions of not-France and not-Germany are the same as the real world.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

kirtar posted:

Pretty sure spearhead went east given that they were in the eastern defensive ward and the relative geographical positions of not-France and not-Germany are the same as the real world.

Correct, Giad is to the East of San Magnolia. Roa Gracia, the country that launched the drones that got the visual on the Morpho after Giad's missile strike, is to the north of Giad.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Weirdly the first OP very explicitly shows that San Magnolia is in Tunisia of all places. Which doesn’t make a drat lick of sense for anything from climate to the locations of the other countries to the fact that last I checked Tunisia wasn’t inhabited by by a race of silver haired Frenchmen.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

galagazombie posted:

Weirdly the first OP very explicitly shows that San Magnolia is in Tunisia of all places. Which doesn’t make a drat lick of sense for anything from climate to the locations of the other countries to the fact that last I checked Tunisia wasn’t inhabited by by a race of silver haired Frenchmen.

In addition to the common trope of Scifi Writers Have No Sense of Scale, there's a corollary of Military Thriller Writers Have No Sense of Geography.

But IIRC every map of the war we've seen since S2 started is everyone is in the middle of some continent and the ocean/sea is nowhere near by for anyone. It's unclear to me if there's other nations or something else behind like Giad for example.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm honestly really hoping we get to see how san magnolia's last stand played out/check back in on lena soon. Last we saw it was heavily bombed out, strongly implying a total defeat, but without seeing any bodies or confirmation of lena's death it feels like some manner of intentional mislead to me. After all the time spent on lena in season 1 I'd be pretty bummed if she just died offscreen after having a couple minutes of screen time in season 2. Presumably she'd have her brain harvested or something so she could continue being a character but still, "lena's work all amounted to nothing" doesn't quite seem like what this show wants to say about her.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I read it as an Ace Combat strangereal thing where they're using real world stuff because coming up with a whole new map or weapon designs is a lot of work. I think when they're on foot at the end of last season they're armed with FN FALs and Shinei's gun looks like some kind of Sig.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Raenir Salazar posted:

In addition to the common trope of Scifi Writers Have No Sense of Scale, there's a corollary of Military Thriller Writers Have No Sense of Geography.

But IIRC every map of the war we've seen since S2 started is everyone is in the middle of some continent and the ocean/sea is nowhere near by for anyone. It's unclear to me if there's other nations or something else behind like Giad for example.

The only other countries we know a bout are Roa Gracia (UK) and the Alliance of Wald, though I don't think we've been given a definitive idea of where they are. If I was guessing I'd say Roa Gracia to the north since its the UK and Wald probably south or southeast to enable the kid of tripartite offensive that was planned.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Has anyone who’s read the novels confirm whether they use a real world map there or not? I notice in-show they never actually show any maps that are zoomed out far enough to actually show the shape of any landmasses. It’s only the OP that says this all takes place in Tunisia and Libya.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

galagazombie posted:

Has anyone who’s read the novels confirm whether they use a real world map there or not? I notice in-show they never actually show any maps that are zoomed out far enough to actually show the shape of any landmasses. It’s only the OP that says this all takes place in Tunisia and Libya.

IIRC, the novels make it pretty clear that this is not our world, and we shouldn't expect it to be.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, I never got the idea this is supposed to be Earth:The Far Future, or even some kind of alternate history thing like Code Geass. The different countries are sorta aesthetically influenced by real world powers and any use of real-world map is just a shortcut.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I just figured the author was broadly applying some general cultural features from our world to the fictional countries and doing some obvious allegories to history/warfare along the way as well. Then they just slap some German names onto the mechs and they're off to the races.

I tend to enjoy seeing some fresh fictional maps rather than having it all fit onto an Earth map as well in appropriate fantasy/sci-fi stories. Part of that is that I've read one too many "it's a crazy magical/sci fi combination world but it's actually taking place on Earth after the apocalypse, and you can see bits of that on this map here!" books. Like, that isn't an overwhelmingly popular trend, but it does seem to keep happening in the random books I read here and there.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a totally fictional world.

That said there are a few references to our real world in the story:
The cat spearhead was taking care of, which Lena adopted after they left was named Thermopylae by her. Her internal monologue also makes it clear she's referencing the specific battle portrayed by 300. There are some Earth book authors referenced as well here and there.

The author does specifically talk about this stuff in the afterward to LN 1

quote:

“The story takes place in an alternate reality but still employs the metric system. I did this because made-up units of measurement fail to really give one a grasp of what’s going on. The reason I didn’t use the old Japanese system or imperial units is because I don’t really know them.
•  This story takes place in an alternate reality but has references to the Bible, Remarque’s novels, and so forth. The reason for that is… Well, I’ll leave that to your imaginations.”

He spends most of the rest of the afterward talking about garter belts and how much he loves them.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Nitrousoxide posted:

He spends most of the rest of the afterward talking about garter belts and how much he loves them.

She* loves garter belts.

And she's right to.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's Strangereal but looks vaguely real world shaped.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

And you're not going to quote it?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

KillHour posted:

And you're not going to quote it?

quote:

“Aren’t garter belts just the best?
Hello, everyone, this is Asato Asato. A weird name, I know, but have no fear; it’s just a pen name. It’s a twist on my real name and eighty-eight.”
“Well, to be honest, there were quite a few things I had to painstakingly omit from the final version so I could submit it to the contest. I ended up adding one of them, the scene portraying garter belts, during a later revision of the book. Garter belts are cute, aren’t they? Sexy, too. Sexy and cute.
I hope you fellow garter-belt lovers enjoy Shirabii’s super-cute and lovely illustrations of Lena and the garter belts adorning her sexy thighs.
And for those of you who haven’t awoken to the appeal of garter belts, please leave me to my creepy ramblings. Here are a few addenda regarding the story:”

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
A woman after my own heart.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

I struggle to think of an anime with this many missed episodes since SEED Destiny. That show at least was supposed to be 50ish episodes long so the missed episodes were only like 10% of its total runtime, not 24 episodes long where 20% of its episodes are missing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Basically, 86 is Ace Combat 7 except that Bandog is a waifu.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They've delayed episodes, but saying they're missing as in lost footage really isn't true.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Wasn’t the most recent gap preplanned?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

wdarkk posted:

Wasn’t the most recent gap preplanned?

Yes.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yes, and i feel like this has been pointed out half a dozen times

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Moofia Boss Val posted:

I struggle to think of an anime with this many missed episodes since SEED Destiny. That show at least was supposed to be 50ish episodes long so the missed episodes were only like 10% of its total runtime, not 24 episodes long where 20% of its episodes are missing.

We also now live in the age of "lol lets just murder our animators to make our anime faster", so I'll happily take not doing that personally.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Delivering content on time is not mutually exclusive with working your people to death.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Delivering content on time is not mutually exclusive with working your people to death.

You wanna tell the rest of the anime industry that? Because that's why it's become a big thing that's been talked about lately.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Lol who cares, just go without your cartoon for a week or so.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Moofia Boss Val posted:

yeah but i care a lot more about one of these than the other tbh

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

yeah but i care a lot more about one of these than the other tbh

drat right! The trainsanime need to run on time! What's a little human cost here and there?

Wait...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Except when things have been pushed to that point and there's a lot of talk in the anime/manga industry that that's exactly what is happening.