Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Chas McGill posted:

I've watched some: Itaewon Class, Extracurricular, Squid Game, My Name, and maybe others I'm forgetting. There's definitely similar over acting in all these, but Vincenzo is rubbing me the wrong way for some reason. Happy to hear recommendations though, since I liked all the series listed above.

Hellbound is decent, although it’s super short and the first half is pretty different from the second half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Season 3 of Boardwalk is a banger. Rosetti is hysterical and magnetizing. If the rest of the series was as wild and pulpy it would've been great. Unfortunately it tries to be prestige and just kind of fails at it. They recognize they have great actors but have no idea how to utilize them. Shannon's character is all over the place and ends up in ridiculous circumstances at times. Buscemi is woefully miscast and I have no clue how they went from Alec Baldwin to him. It also doesn't help that the entire trajectory of the series had to be rewritten due to certain factors in the first two seasons.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Nihonniboku posted:

It's a show that I watched that I remember nothing about

I was going to post this, aside from Michael Shannon being in it I couldn't tell you anything about the plot or other characters. (except for the super annoying Irish guy who I only remember for being annoying)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
This is a bit of an odd question for here, but does anybody know of any good shows or movies from Sub Sahara Africa? I hear Nollywood produces more movies than anywhere else in the world. Yet I don't here anything from the region. Does anyone know of anything good from that region that I can watch?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I have the same question but for Bollywood bro comedies. Like three idiots and Delhi belly

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is a bit of an odd question for here, but does anybody know of any good shows or movies from Sub Sahara Africa? I hear Nollywood produces more movies than anywhere else in the world. Yet I don't here anything from the region. Does anyone know of anything good from that region that I can watch?

Viva Riva! and Nigerian Prince were pretty good

Edit: I know you asked for Sub Saharan but I’ll give a shout-out to Theeb as well

david_a fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 13, 2021

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Disposable Scud posted:

Season 3 of Boardwalk is a banger. Rosetti is hysterical and magnetizing. If the rest of the series was as wild and pulpy it would've been great. Unfortunately it tries to be prestige and just kind of fails at it. They recognize they have great actors but have no idea how to utilize them. Shannon's character is all over the place and ends up in ridiculous circumstances at times. Buscemi is woefully miscast and I have no clue how they went from Alec Baldwin to him. It also doesn't help that the entire trajectory of the series had to be rewritten due to certain factors in the first two seasons.
Yeahhh that makes a lot of sense. Bobby Cannavale brought so much just big energy, like nearly Dick Tracy villain level, he almost singlehandedly breathed life back into the show with s3. Then it just got brought down to earth again.
I had no idea Baldwin was in the running for Nucky, that really represents way too wide and vague of a casting net haha.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
In my opinion the fatal flaw of Boardwalk Empire was that Buscemi as Nucky just wasn't all that compelling. He was already the big fish in the small pond when the show started, and I never really got a sense of what was driving him other than his constant peevishness. I guess Baldwin would have been better?

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Yeah I only watched a couple seasons but Boardwalk Empire has slipped completely from my brain

Things I remember:
It being the first time I found Steve Buscemi boring
Huge crush on the Scottish woman
Getting to see Michael K Williams outside of The Wire. I think he tortures a KKK guy?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind'....one of my favorite movies of all time....is streaming on Peacock.

A fact that I never knew until now.....the director and co-writer of the movie, Michel Gondry, directed a lot of music videos prior to this (still did after). He directed the music video for 'Everlong' by the Foo Fighters....which is probably my favorite song of all time.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Gondry is a better music video director than feature director, and I love several of his movies. He's just done too many legendary videos to get out of his own shadow, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Enos Cabell posted:

Gondry is a better music video director than feature director, and I love several of his movies. He's just done too many legendary videos to get out of his own shadow, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Yeah, at some point I had a DVD with all of his music videos on it. I wonder what happened to that.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

david_a posted:

Viva Riva! and Nigerian Prince were pretty good

Edit: I know you asked for Sub Saharan but I’ll give a shout-out to Theeb as well

I found Queen Sono (Netflix) entertaining, though a little incomprehensible in its attempts to outdo Shonda Rhimes with the layers of twists and intrigues. It had its second season cancelled because of the pandemic, which is all to say that the first season was at least good/successful enough to get temporarily renewed.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, at some point I had a DVD with all of his music videos on it. I wonder what happened to that.

Those were awesome DVDs. I've got the Michel Gondry and also a Spike Jonze one somewhere

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
That DVD of Gondry's short films/music videos was very important to my teenage self. Not sure where you could find it now but I imagine you could simulate the experience by looking up his filmography via YouTube. Some of my favorites from him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN9auBn6Jys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNJv-Ebi67I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTH71AAxXmM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0HSD_i2DvA

As far as his feature length stuff goes I remember Be Kind Rewind being pretty good (ending made me tear up at least) but it's been years since I've seen it. Eternal Sunshine definitely hit me the hardest though

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Atlantics/Atlantique is pretty good. I haven't seen any of these but they are other Senegalese things that might be good (Black Girl is famous):

Camp de Thiaroye (1987), La Petite vendeuse de soleil (1999), Moolaadé (2004), Black Girl (1966), Hyènes (1992), Emitai (1971), Ceddo (1977), Guelwaar (1992), Xala (1975), Mandabi (1968), Faat Kiné (2000).

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Blood Nightmaster posted:

That DVD of Gondry's short films/music videos was very important to my teenage self. Not sure where you could find it now but I imagine you could simulate the experience by looking up his filmography via YouTube. Some of my favorites from him:

If you were a good little boy or girl this year you should definitely treat yourself: https://www.amazon.com/Directors-Vol-Director-Michel-Gondry/dp/B0000DBJ9J

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Boardwalk suffered some after season 2 due to the direction change, but it peaked again when Richard Harrow went all terminator later on.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Finch is awful. Just an absolute rote, cliche, paint by numbers, lifeless, empty, piece of trash. I don't know how it got good reviews.

Only the first 30 minutes were watched for this review.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Shrink Next Door is really good but it makes me feel bad inside.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
How is King Richard? I loves me some Williams sisters.

I think it's on HBOmax

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

isaboo posted:

I think it's on HBOmax

It's fine. It is exactly, 100%, what you would expect from a competent Hollywood biopic starring Will Smith.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Johnnie To's Drug War(2012) is on amazon prime and you all need to watch that if you havent

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

isaboo posted:

I think it's on HBOmax

So good. I saw it in the theater. Will Smith absolutely disappears into his role. It's dramatic, affecting, and funny.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

Johnnie To's Drug War(2012) is on amazon prime and you all need to watch that if you havent
I might try to give this another shot...I loved Throw Down, but the loving INSANE brutal draconian drug law poo poo in Drug War and all the stupid copaganda just made me feel bad for all the criminals. Smuggle that poo poo, yall!!! loving death for meth? Go gently caress yourself. That poo poo is savage.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 15, 2021

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I might try to give this another shot...I loved Throw Down, but the loving INSANE brutal draconian drug law poo poo in Drug War and all the stupid copaganda just made me feel bad for all the criminals. Smuggle that poo poo, yall!!! loving death for meth? Go gently caress yourself. That poo poo is savage.

i felt the exact same way.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Disposable Scud posted:

I thought season three was the worst and Buscemi was amazing on that show. Rossetti was a cartoon character. I agree they didn’t really know how to use Michael Shannon once season one was over.

Saturday morning all-star hits on Netflix is amazing. A few short episodes, totally 80s and 90s, with great twists, very jokes, and some amazing performances. Also, the most 80s facrt: every black female character is voiced by Cree Summers.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

Season two of his dark mayerieals is better than season one so far that I’ve watched

It’s drastically better. Glad 3rd season was green light as well.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4HMLdkjAUc

*sigh* I GUESS I'll watch something Eric Wareheim is in.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
He was great in Master of None. Dude can act for real

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

He was in The Comedy and I dont know if I liked that movie or not but I still think about it a lot for some reason

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Comedy is an incredible movie that I never want to see again.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'd prolly watch The Comedy again but I couldn't even get through Rick Alverson's followup to that, Entertainment. I am a Turkington fan but I was watching it with my gf and that insane misogynist rant his character gives just dropped like a bomb outta nowhere

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The latest episode of Hawkeye is up on Disney Plus. Some official casting news: Vincent D'Onofrio's Kingpin from the Netflix Daredevil series is officially in the MCU. We saw at shot of what was maybe his hand and maybe heard him laugh in an earlier episode, but we actually saw his face this week.. That's pretty neat.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Authentic question... what is the draw for Hawkeye? I truly don't understand what is entertaining or enjoyable about Hawkeye the character or Jeremy Renner's portrayal of Hawkeye. I know next to nothing about Kate Bishop, but Clint Barton is just so drat boring. I don't get it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cithen posted:

Authentic question... what is the draw for Hawkeye? I truly don't understand what is entertaining or enjoyable about Hawkeye the character or Jeremy Renner's portrayal of Hawkeye. I know next to nothing about Kate Bishop, but Clint Barton is just so drat boring. I don't get it.
Marvel shows don't get made because of demand. They need to make more shows and the character is available so there you go, comic book spinoff printing machine goes brr.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Cithen posted:

In this very specific case its loosely based off one of the best Hawkeye comic runs by Matt Fraction. It doesnt work quite as well as the comic, because in the comic Hawkeye is a single himbo loser and in the show he is a family man. Still its very down to earth, im just a guy who happens to be an avenger, and now i gotta deal with a bunch of stuff story. He gets a fun sidekick, he gets to be very "put upon" (which is fun to see a super hero have to deal with this mundane poo poo), and the bad guys are fun in a memey way (guys called the tracksuit mafia who say bro a lot).

The comic run is golden and the show doesnt quite reach its heights, but they do bring some of what I loved to life in a way that makes it worth watching. Its much better than watching Vision shoot eye lasers for example.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Cithen posted:

I get it, Hawkeye is my least favorite character in the MCU, and I've never been a fan of Jeremy Renner as an actor.

That said, maybe this show is what we needed a long time ago, as Clint was always more of a side character who got very little development in the films.

The show has some fun action, some good laughs, Hailee Steinfeld is great as Kate Bishop, and its interesting seeing Clint deal with his increasing hearing loss.

I'm not a comics fan, and I know little about Marvel outside the films and shows, but in general I'm just fascinated at how they're all tying these films and shows together.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Martman posted:

What the... why did no one tell me a MacGruber sequel series is coming out on Peacock in 5 days?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCqSq7_fI-E
Because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Cithen posted:

I'm completely over comic book movies so take this with a grain of salt, but the interesting thing about Hawkeye is that he's in this group with a literal god; a guy with 23rd century technology armor who can fly; the strongest being in the universe; and an all-timer tactician who is stronger and with better reflexes than any normal human in history. And, Hawkeye is just this guy, you know? Like, we all know who LeBron James is, we all are amazed by his feats, but then you look at a guy like Ben Wallace -- an undersized, undrafted center who worked his rear end off and became one of the top defenders of his time and became the first undrafted player to make it into the hall of fame, though he never had the natural physical gifts or talent of a LeBron. That's a compelling story, no?

But I kind of doubt the show goes into that aspect much.