Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

shoeberto posted:

So once the baby is here I'm guessing everything is going to be just a blur of sleep deprivation/taking care of baby/taking care of wife for a while. Do any of you guys have tips for that? Like anything I should do for myself ahead of time?

I think I'm mostly wondering what are good activities to recharge myself a bit even when I'm wiped. Even just phone games or something. Or is that unlikely to even be a concern?

the hardest part is the first week (or two) because babby hasn't yet acclimated to the day-night cycle and also needs to be fed quite frequently, so they won't sleep for more than an hour or two, maybe three if you're lucky once in awhile - so that's how that time just becomes a blur of sleep deprivation

the most helpful thing you can do is let your wife rest by trying to handle some of those feedings with a bottle. this may not be possible, newborns can be finicky about latching onto bottles; our second one almost completely refused the bottle until she started daycare and starvation drove her to it (my understanding was that this was quite tough on the daycare staff, but i pay them half my paycheck so they can deal goddamnit)

if they won't take the bottle during that time you can still help by closely supervising the feeding and basically arranging things in the bed so that mom can safely sleep while it's going on

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
we had great success of me putting on one of those baby scarves at like 20 or 21, and my wife went to bed, then I stayed up until at least 00 but usually like 02. That way she got at least a couple of hours of undisturbed sleep.

The difference between trying to sleep while also being hyper aware listening for baby being hungry &c and going to sleep knowing the baby is safe and cared for is huge!

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

shoeberto posted:

So once the baby is here I'm guessing everything is going to be just a blur of sleep deprivation/taking care of baby/taking care of wife for a while. Do any of you guys have tips for that? Like anything I should do for myself ahead of time?

I think I'm mostly wondering what are good activities to recharge myself a bit even when I'm wiped. Even just phone games or something. Or is that unlikely to even be a concern?

This is when you acquire the dad skill of just going to sleep anytime you can. I also watched a lot of netflix etc when my son was a baby cos he would just sleep on me. Make sure u have a good couch maybe, legs up is key

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

make giant meals and freeze many portions now
boiling starchy stuff and adding stuff you reheat = meals for 2 weeks easy mode
accept any help that's offered
enjoy

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i played a lot of single player games and did a lot of reading so the missus could sleep and pump

I believe for both kids we evenly split breastfeeding and bottle feeding so that I could handle as much as possible while she recovered and made milk

also save at least 2, preferably 3-6 weeks of vacation so you’re not working during the hardest part of babyhaving. I get 2 weeks paternity and took three weeks off for my second and it was night and day easier than when I only had a week off for my first

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i got like 16 weeks of paid parental leave during the first year of the baby’s life, it’s nuts that there are places that don’t even give a month

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

shoeberto posted:

in terms of prep ahead of time, get a good camera/video device, and figure out how to take decent photos/videos with it. future you and your wife will thank you for doing so

i also found it helped to read up on the literature of what to expect over the next 3 months tops then incrementally revisit for the next stage

don't get overwhelmed just get enough absorbed to recognize signs and to know that whatever the current difficult stage is, will end soon enough

for recharging, get good sleep even if you have to sleep apart. phone games aren't a bad idea but you would probably have to be into them already- they're not especially helpful.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

in terms of prep ahead of time, get a good camera/video device, and figure out how to take decent photos/videos with it. future you and your wife will thank you for doing so
Phones are fine nowadays. Even 5 years ago I'd have agreed with you.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

evil_bunnY posted:

Phones are fine nowadays. Even 5 years ago I'd have agreed with you.
yeah phones fall under camera/video device for sure now. not everyone has a good one and/or knows how to use it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

shoeberto posted:

Do everything you need to do to make life more streamlined and save time. Put bills on auto-pay. If there's some maintenance in the house you have to do regularly, figure out a way to not have to do it. Set expectations with your family about how often you'll be calling & visiting. If you dont have a dishwasher, get one. You will have very very little time for yourself and your spouse, make sure you maximize it.

quote:

I think I'm mostly wondering what are good activities to recharge myself a bit even when I'm wiped.

I'd say sleep. Sleep is the good activity you'll want to do whenever you can.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
take loads of videos

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

shoeberto posted:

If you have the space, consider sleeping in a different room than your wife for the first couple of months. And make a third place where the baby can sleep, if you have space.

We had great luck with this schedule: wife goes to bed at 21:00. I feed baby at 21:30 with pumped milk or formula if needed, then again at 23:30. Then I turn on the wife's baby monitor and I go to bed for the night with earplugs. When we don't have a 3rd room, I move the bassinet into her room with baby in it.

For how to recharge when wiped: I had good luck with bourbon :v:

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 13, 2021

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Poopernickel posted:

For how to recharge when wiped: I had good luck with bourbon
i did too but in retrospect i would advise to avoid alcohol as it messes with your sleep and when combined with low sleep some fuckin' crazy -EV stuff can happen.

sleep is very important as you will never have enough and the extreme lack of it causes accidents etc

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
baby just turned 4 months and had the longest sleep so far last night, didn't need to fed until 6am, I normally get woken up at 3

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
it’s good for me to read about very young children sleep issues because it makes my current problems seem much smaller

3 year old climbed in bed with us 3 times last night. first time he got about 20 minutes of snuggles (it was only supposed to be five!) then I put him back in his bed. second time, my wife put him back in his bed - I am aware this happened, but could not tell how long it took. 3rd time he got in bed with us, I have no recollection except checking my watch at 6a when he had clearly already been there for a while

good/bad news is I’m becoming a deeper sleeper

my dude is on a bit of a growth spurt, eating a lot more and becoming more chatty and we’re talking about feelings more often. low-key very nice.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Thanks all for the advice. I wasn't sure exactly what I was trying to ask but I think "give me survival tips" is a good interpretation.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

shoeberto posted:

Thanks all for the advice. I wasn't sure exactly what I was trying to ask but I think "give me survival tips" is a good interpretation.
i'd love to be of more help but i'm extremely tired

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Kenny Logins posted:

i'd love to be of more help but i'm extremely tired

me to my wife every night

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Milk pumping protips from your local human dairy farmer:

Read the manual and make sure you're using the right size breast-shields. It's painful/bad with wrong size shields.

Some pumps are better than others. Watch some youtube reviews and pick one that you like. My wife hated the one we used with our first kid, and eventually gave up on pumping. For the second kid, I picked a nice one and it's been going way better.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
for pumps: we have the spectra s1 model that has a battery, so that you can pump more than a yard from the outlet

the battery is a big deal, and that one has a more robust duty cycle than the other battery-powered ones. previously we had the medela which pumps much more weakly and is just terrible

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

that's what my wife has too. highly recommend a pumping bra so you don't have to hold it on

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
she just cut holes in a tank top or sports bra or something to do that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

oh man i got the anime sweatdrop

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Our good one is a Medela Freestyle Flex, it's nice because it doesn't weigh 8000 pounds and doesn't sound like a rhinoceros vibrator. It's also got a built-in battery and a usb-c charging port.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Also it's small enough to wear on a lanyard instead of being a fuckin lunchbox

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
my wife liked a manual pump because it gave her more control over length and strength of the pumps

also less to lug around and fewer moving parts

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
this image tells you all you need to know about why it's worth shopping around for pumps. These are two competing products within $150 of each other.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

this image tells you all you need to know about why it's worth shopping around for pumps. These are two competing products within $150 of each other.

wife used the one on the left and hated being basically chained down unable to do anything while pumping

we switched to a portable one that she liked much better despite not sealing or falling off half the time

anyway baby drinks formula now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so this morning my 10yo tells me "I got an award at school for the end of the year" and I ask him what it was and hes like "excellence in all academic areas" (or something to that effect) and im like wow how many kids got that and he said only him and another girl

and so I ask him if this award feels like it means much, he says no, I ask him if he felt like he put in lots of effort at school and this is the result of all that hard work and he says no

just like me, just like loads of us here I am sure.

its a blessing and a curse to be so effortlessly capable. at least I am aware of this, my parents totally squandered it with me, gave me no life direction or even suggestion to give a poo poo, but I'm not gonna let that same fate befall him

he already challenges himself to do poo poo like 500 pushups in a day. he's got this innate ability to put in effort. lol. where was that when I was growing up.

its hard to not just state the obvious to him, that he is obviously extremely lucky to be so capable. to try to not let him just think he's got it all sorted, etc, and that he has fortunate opportunity to combine a will to work hard and natural capabilities.

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 19, 2021

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Babby hates the motion of the Snoo

We now have a $150/mo straight jacket that keeps him from rolling I suppose

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I hope the nasty stomach flu that is going around spares your households because I am so tired of cleaning up puke

going on day 4 of keeping nothing down; poor guy is miserable. He finally seems to be on the way out of it this evening and has an appetite, though I’m sure the anti-emetic we got from the dr is helping.

and with how cranky my daughter has been today I suspect she may be starting to come down with it too!

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
dang, good luck with that!

my kid got the cast off last Thursday. she still won’t walk but there’s no pain because she slams around scooting all day using that leg to pull herself around. I read that kids can take up to a month to get their confidence back to walking so I’m not sweating it too bad. besides I know she just loves being carried everywhere.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
some nasty stomach bug is sweeping through here also, I guess people thinking Covid was over led to them not washing their hands anymore. Had some real fun nights being woken every hour by sons puke and/or poo poo while also doing my utmost not to puke myself…

had to take a lot for a 6 year old to ask for a diaper…

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

im probably just gonna wash my hands whenever i enter a place from now on, forever. just as a habit ive picked up

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fart simpson posted:

im probably just gonna wash my hands whenever i enter a place from now on, forever. just as a habit ive picked up

i'm never using public transportation without a mask again.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
had fish n chips last night with kids at playground but we had too much and there were seagulls around so we did a jackass kinda thing where my 10yo stood there and i filmed it while we threw chips onto him so the seagulls would fly around him

it was so funny and I can imagine everyone who saw it thought I was a bad parent because lots of people have no imagination but my kids had so much fun doing it and now we have a great video of this weird event

parenting rules

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my kids are finally into bluey after bouncing off it a few times and it fucks me up how good a show for preschoolers is

heaps of touching moments and little reminders for parents in there

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
tbf that's a pretty good bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

RokosCockatrice posted:

tbf that's a pretty good bit
yeah i tried it with my 4.5 y/o and she loved it. solid bit