Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

crepeface posted:

yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a waste. my plan is to talk her out it. she may want to give her old one to my dad but buying the regular iPad for him would be a way better move

has anyone ever successfully talked anyone into going base/air after they owned a pro?

the mental barrier seems to be made out pure adamantium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
my wife went from a 2011 mbp to a m1 air but nobody talked her into it

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
my partner started out with a macbook in the 00s and is now on her third air

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

m1 air is my girlfriend’s first mac, she really likes it although most of her work is in ms word which isn’t as well supported on macos

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i think word is fine-ish? excel used to be a shitshow, and i don’t quite remember if the proposed codebase unification has happened yet

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

jesus WEP posted:

m1 air is my girlfriend’s first mac, she really likes it although most of her work is in ms word which isn’t as well supported on macos

if all her work is in ms word why did she buy the best computer?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i think word is fine-ish? excel used to be a shitshow, and i don’t quite remember if the proposed codebase unification has happened yet
she’s a proofreader, there’s a bunch of gotchas with the macros and such that she’s collected over the years

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jesus WEP posted:

she’s a proofreader, there’s a bunch of gotchas with the macros and such that she’s collected over the years

makes sense, i did speculate if she’s an advanced plugins/macros user

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
there's a bunch of poo poo in the native o365 suite that just doesn't exist on Mac OS. A lot of features in Excel and even some stuff in OneNote, eg setting/changing page size to fixed instead of auto.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Lysidas posted:

my wife went from a 2011 mbp to a m1 air but nobody talked her into it

i went from a 2006 mbp to a 2013 mba. I also went from doing everything on the mbp to having a desktop and laptop setup again and using the mba for lightweight work and the desktop for heavier tasks

it doesn't hurt that my mac upgrade cycle is ~7 years. each new machine is like four of the old one in performance, in my case the 2006 was a core duo so it was a whole 32 to 64 change as well. switching to the m processors is going to sink my old mac so bad it isn't even funny (release the beefy mini, tim)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Hed posted:

if you’re talking about the iOS keyboard then my only complaint is that I can’t make the Awful alternate keyboard larger than a few rows when scrolling to find the perfect emoticon for important iMessage conversations.

yes in the conversation about ios im talking about the lovely, unusable ios keyboard. the joke being that people are complaining about esoteric features, while just totally consigned to the fact that the most basic poo poo in ios does not work.

im not dumb enough to have purchased anything with a physical apple keyboard which i gather they have just in the last year or so decided to make functional

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lysidas posted:

wow i did not expect the base model ipad to be out of stock until the first few days of february, kind of assumed something like "sure come on down to the apple store and pick it up in an hour"

Apple is the worst for stock on new products, ironically

Best Buy and Target are out but Costco has them in stock right now and they’re $10 cheaper

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

Apple is the worst for stock on new products, ironically

Best Buy and Target are out but Costco has them in stock right now and they’re $10 cheaper

ive usually had the opposite experience, but i guess i havent bought much thats "new", and i did not think the base model ipad counted as "new"

got a 12 mini, 12 pro, and m1 macbook air in february of this year, and pretty much went to the apple store that day or the next to pick each thing up

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
as a daily user of ms word, it isn't well-supported on any hardware, hth

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the panacea posted:

has anyone ever successfully talked anyone into going base/air after they owned a pro?

the mental barrier seems to be made out pure adamantium.

i think you could reasonably talk someone into an air if they were using an 11" pro. probably not if they use a 12.9" tho. base is probably a no-go until they change its design to the match the rest of the line

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Shaggar posted:

yes in the conversation about ios im talking about the lovely, unusable ios keyboard. the joke being that people are complaining about esoteric features, while just totally consigned to the fact that the most basic poo poo in ios does not work.

im not dumb enough to have purchased anything with a physical apple keyboard which i gather they have just in the last year or so decided to make functional

i'm bored today. what are your complaints?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
when i hit a key it does a different key than i hit because it thinks its smart and auto predicting. it also auto corrects things to the wrong word and fails to autocorrect misspellings to the right word.

this was never a problem in ios 4/5 and i think it just went to absolute poo poo starting with ios 7 or whichever was the one where the hack jony ive took over and brought his real word input device knowledge to ios.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I do think I’m going crazy sometimes when I’m sure I tapped one letter in iOS but another one gets used.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah the keyboard sucks poo poo. its not you. everyone is just used to it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

when i hit a key it does a different key than i hit because it thinks its smart and auto predicting. it also auto corrects things to the wrong word and fails to autocorrect misspellings to the right word.

this was never a problem in ios 4/5 and i think it just went to absolute poo poo starting with ios 7 or whichever was the one where the hack jony ive took over and brought his real word input device knowledge to ios.

now add multiple languages into the mix (i use 3 on daily basis), and the resulting farce fails to be competitive with the typing experience i had on my sony ericsson xperia arc s in 2012

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Shaggar posted:

yeah the keyboard sucks poo poo. its not you. everyone is just used to it

SwiftKey is a little better in that it autocompletes a correct word to the wrong one a lot less often, but nothing touches the basically telepathic WP7.5 or 8 ish swipe keyboard. After that everyone added machine learning to them and screwed them up....or maybe changed the ML to be global or something instead of tuned per user. I have no idea how they actually worked, but it seemed that from that point forward I kept getting autocorrected to words I'd never used before and any word longer than about 6 or 8 letters you had to be incredibly deliberate with or just give up on swiping. (I'm including both the last WP keyboard and the ios default one in this).

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the win 10 mobile keyboard was never as bad as ios. i've also tried switfkey and its definitely not good.

i wonder if theres a keyboard for ios that doesnt do any kind of ai bullshit and just accepts what you type

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
my biggest beef with autocorrect is me dismissing it and it "corrects" the word anyway. yes i meant to yeet and not meat!!

i like when it does it twice

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Even timb must bow low before the almighty cost company. Praise be

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
turn off autocorrect, it owns

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i have autocorrect off, the touch targets for keys are still loving ridiculous

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
i can't type with autocorrect off, but with it on it's also loving annoying, correcting "gently caress" to "duck" 5x in a row or whatever (and even with words without profanity)

when i type in another language it's actually fine tho

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Hed posted:

if you’re talking about the iOS keyboard then my only complaint is that I can’t make the Awful alternate keyboard larger than a few rows when scrolling to find the perfect emoticon for important iMessage conversations.

Didn't know this was a feature, but I want it badly and I'm trying it and it's not working. It says the emoticon has been copied but there's nothing there to paste in the imessage window? Favoriting isn't working either, it favorites them until you close the keyboard and then it's empty again. This is true on 15.1 and I just updated to 15.2 and it's still not working. Is there something I'm missing?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah, a decent phone operating system

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Enderzero posted:

Didn't know this was a feature, but I want it badly and I'm trying it and it's not working. It says the emoticon has been copied but there's nothing there to paste in the imessage window? Favoriting isn't working either, it favorites them until you close the keyboard and then it's empty again. This is true on 15.1 and I just updated to 15.2 and it's still not working. Is there something I'm missing?

Assuming I can embed an mp4 I just hover to copy and click Paste in the window. There's an app (that icon bar with the Photos, ApplePay) but to get this you have to install it as a Keyboard in Settings.

I'm clicking the Globe at the bottom left to bring up the Awful Keyboard:

edit: mp4 upload didn't work, GIF frame rate is halved or something but whatever this shows it.

Hed fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 14, 2021

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

the.worst.part.of.the.ios.keyboard.is.the.stupid.period.being.to.the.right.of.the.spacebar

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

the dumbest loving poo poo is how you either have to have a whole bar of dumb imessage "apps" to go to images directly, or you can tap on camera, wait for it to pop up, then tap on images.

the ios 12 (?) way where tapping the button brought up small camera and also your images was the best, which is why it had to go away

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

i can't type with autocorrect off, but with it on it's also loving annoying, correcting "gently caress" to "duck" 5x in a row or whatever (and even with words without profanity)

when i type in another language it's actually fine tho

just let it type duck people know that it means you tried to type gently caress

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG posted:

the.worst.part.of.the.ios.keyboard.is.the.stupid.period.being.to.the.right.of.the.spacebar

super agreed

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I think you mean

The.Worst.Part.Of.The.Ios.Keyboard.Is.The.Stupid.Period.Being.To.The.Right.Of.The.Spacebar

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
what

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
like so

notably only in certain types of text fields

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

imo the browser bar keyboard should have some additional distinction for the change, like the url and email keyboards

if you're seeing it on a text field in a webpage, it's likely someone set the type to one of the new html 5 input types that invokes different mobile keyboards for user convenience, for example a phone text field showing a numeric keyboard with phone symbols

there used to be some debate on if this was helpful because the context switch wasn't inherently clear to the user (i tend to personally find them annoying), browsers used to all interpret them a little different (ie would add clear buttons to some, chrome would add it's own date picker pop up, android and ios didn't fully overlap on types, lots of little quirks), and because screen readers and accessibility software did nothing with these alternate input types and at times couldn't access the non-standard controls they'd add to a page, so a dev could set one and (if the page isn't accessibly-written or at least clear contextually) screen readers would identify it as a generic input at best and at worst the input would be locked down in such a way that it was effectively inaccessible

i should confirm that's still the behavior with voiceover, since it's been a few years, same for desktop reader software. i'd suspect aria attributes and better wcag guidelines would help address the early days issues to some degree, and the consolidation of browser engines reduces the risk of per-platform and per-browser quirks

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

actually? for me? it's always thinking? I want to put a loving question mark? instead of a comma?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

no the dumbest thing is having the button to switch to emojis move when it's time to switch back to the keyboard.