Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Meme Poker Party posted:

Maybe they just don't like you nagging them so much!!!

If I have to listen to one more 28 year old man tell me about how his feelings were hurt because he was singled out when he was asked to do a third of the work his female peer employee is currently handling I think I'm going to strangle someone. I get why toxic male culture is being purged from society but boy do I really think we are purging other things with it. Sometimes I look around in a status meeting and realize that every male worker in there under 30 is visibly operating at the emotional maturity level of a 14 year old and it gives me a headache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Oh jeez you're that stdh poster. Sorry I'll stop bothering you now!!!

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Escape From Noise posted:

It loving rules that Amazon explicitly demonstrated that they don't care if their employees die on company time because it would negatively impact production to have safety protocols and nobody cares and people are still touting the "People are just too lazy to work!" line.
Who is saying this?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Armauk posted:

Who is saying this?

I hear tons of boomers saying "people just don't want to work these days". Like, I hear it on a daily basis.

Also the unvaccinated front desk girl here who caught covid over Thanksgiving returned to the office today. I asked her how it was, she said for the first week it felt like she was dying, but never went to the hospital. Asked her if she's going to get the shot now, she confirmed that she is.

Another "it's not real unless it happens to me" idiot.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Armauk posted:

Who is saying this?

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Armauk posted:

Who is saying this?

Lol no way

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Hold up, this sign isn't directed at C-levels and business owners? Coz I don't see many of them earning their paychecks.

E: or working

Ee: or getting off their butts

Outrail fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 14, 2021

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

kntfkr posted:

kohls is paying 17 an hour where i is

Earlier this year I got a second part-time job to make ends meet. The library job in which I have a master's degree that I've trained for for most of my life pays $11 an hour, and that's after multiple raises. I took a job as a lunch lady/receptionist at one of the local college's dining halls and even after bumping base pay a $15 an hour they were still having problems filling positions. And because this is the south, everyone's blaming the shortage of workers willing to put up with corporate wage-slave bullshit as "nobody wants to work."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Libraries are hosed up workplaces. Impossible to get jobs that pay like poo poo and are forever right in the firing line when cuts are announced. But the idea of it is like a siren call to a whole swathe of people.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Armauk posted:

Who is saying this?

lmao what’s the weather like under your rock

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I had a dude at my job make an actually v reasonable point the other day which is that the baby boom was a baby boom. During the 80s a bunch of schools were closed down because since gen x was smaller than the baby boomers they couldn’t justify keeping them open. Now the boomers are beginning to hit retirement age with the pandemic making a lot of them in their late 50s wary 60s retire earlier than expected (if they didn’t die). This happened at the same time trump cut immigration which mitigated some of the effects but this might be the situation for a while even if the pandemic gets under control as the demographic crisis we always ascribe to Japan or Italy happens here.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Combo posted:

Another "it's not real unless it happens to me" idiot.

That what it takes. I knew a couple who went through the same thing. The couple often took to Facebook, railing against the covid "hoax" and the vaccine. Sure enough, the wife caught covid, ended up in the hospital and later died. She was in her mid-30s. The husband quickly changed his tune, begging people to get vaccinated.

Grimdude posted:

Lol no way

Rockman Reserve posted:

lmao what’s the weather like under your rock

I'm talking about the specific people who are saying "people are too lazy to work" in response to the tornado destroying the Amazon warehouse in Kentucky.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I had a dude at my job make an actually v reasonable point the other day which is that the baby boom was a baby boom. During the 80s a bunch of schools were closed down because since gen x was smaller than the baby boomers they couldn’t justify keeping them open. Now the boomers are beginning to hit retirement age with the pandemic making a lot of them in their late 50s wary 60s retire earlier than expected (if they didn’t die). This happened at the same time trump cut immigration which mitigated some of the effects but this might be the situation for a while even if the pandemic gets under control as the demographic crisis we always ascribe to Japan or Italy happens here.

I live at the border. These are just the encounters they can track.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/southwest-land-border-encounters

We aren't going to have the same problem as Japan. It might not be in the career fields we want, but we aren't going to have a shortage of people coming here or wanting to come here any time soon.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Hey, everyone! It's okay! Bezos cares!

He's sending thoughts and prayers!

Surely some thoughts and prayers from the richest man on the planet means more than regular common folk thoughts and prayers

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

TontoCorazon posted:

Surely some thoughts and prayers from the richest man on the planet means more than regular common folk thoughts and prayers

It would if he'd sent the money he'd made for the duration over which he sent them.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Armauk posted:

I'm talking about the specific people who are saying "people are too lazy to work" in response to the tornado destroying the Amazon warehouse in Kentucky.

I don't know that anyone has said that in direct response to the whole thing, I just meant more that despite a disaster like this happening and people literally dying due to awful working conditions, people are still saying that nobody wants to work/everyone's being too lazy. Sorry, that was a bit unclear.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

goatface posted:

Libraries are hosed up workplaces. Impossible to get jobs that pay like poo poo and are forever right in the firing line when cuts are announced. But the idea of it is like a siren call to a whole swathe of people.

:ssh: Libraries are a great place to work if you have frequent hangovers.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

:ssh: Libraries are a great place to work if you have frequent hangovers.

Drink a small bottle or glass of Gatorade before you go to bed. This will help prevent or reduce the severity of hangovers.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Elephant Ambush posted:

Drink a small bottle or glass of Gatorade before you go to bed. This will help prevent or reduce the severity of hangovers.

Completely wasted, a condition known for forward planning and consequence avoidance.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Outrail posted:

Completely wasted, a condition known for forward planning and consequence avoidance.

Why you write your drunk self a note and put it on your bedside. Of course if you make it back to your bed and don't pass out on the couch. At least you tried!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Depends on the extent of your drinking problem really. If my blood is now 50% wood alcohols from the cheap whiskey and my pancreas is a shrivelled nub from trying to control my blood sugar after a dozen boiler makers, then a bottle of Gatorade is like trying to get barnacles off a ship with a garden hose.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Lol Kronos got ransomwared so now we (and god knows how many other companies) can’t clock in and out. Corporate assured us we’ll still get paid so no sweat off my back, but lmao.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is excellent advice, but my drinking problem never got so out of hand that I would have considered becoming a career librarian.

Next time you go to the library, you should offer this advice to the librarian who gives you a disproportionately angry shush for shuffling your chair too loudly, though.

Our library also had a remote loans service, which was a bit slow, because the mail room clerk would drink on the job, occasionally until he passed out on the loading dock.

University libraries are wild places.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Armauk posted:

No doubt they'll be saying this when Amazon can't replace their dead employees cuz nobody wants to work for someone who literally doesn't care if they live or die

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

University libraries are wild places.

The job security seems ridiculous. A buddy does training development for a major university and they have a guy on their team who will routinely derail meetings with bizarre or obnoxious questions. Like they'll be meeting with busy epidemiologists regarding health alerts and he'll ramble for half an hour about wizards, pets his friend owns, or neuroscience, then wander away from his desk for hours. Their manager refuses to do anything so it's become a regular part of meetings, annoying teammates to the point where many have left.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
I work in health and safety for a decent sized nationwide commercial general contractor. Every time we have an incident, part of our incident notification policy requires me to send an email detailing what just happened to the project team, all of my supervision, and both of our co-presidents, who are the #2 and #3 people in the whole company. I'm required to do this within an hour of the incident occurring and for every level of incident, from "I backed my company truck in to a wall" to "a jersey barrier fell over on a dude's foot and it had to be amputated." I feel like this qualifies for this thread because why in the gently caress am I notifying these people about bullshit when they should be running a multi billion dollar company with 1200 employees. I don't loving get it. If its a serious incident, then yes, we'll notify upper management. But why do they need to know about some dumbass cutting the back of his hand.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's ok, they don't even open them.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
That's the case most of the time but one of them is currently butthurt because I didn't notify him within an hour of an incident that happened this morning.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
How many safety incidents do you think are happening for 1200 people that they can't keep up with such a thing?

It's easy to brush incidents under the table then get a random OSHA reaming when the stars align just right. Fortune 500s with operations that have serious impacts on safety usually have a VP who reads every. single. incident report. worldwide. Needing to delegate or skip that job is usually a bad sign but maybe on the largest most operation focused maybe it's a regional safety VP instead of a worldwide VP.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Also, if you’re a contractor who does any sort of work for governments or large corporations (or hopes to in the future), incidents are a really loving big deal - if your injury rate exceeds a certain level, you can be barred from even bidding on certain contracts. So even if they aren’t reading every single report in full detail, they might be skimming them to get a general feel for how many incidents you have, if there’s some issues they see a lot, etc.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The job security seems ridiculous. A buddy does training development for a major university and they have a guy on their team who will routinely derail meetings with bizarre or obnoxious questions. Like they'll be meeting with busy epidemiologists regarding health alerts and he'll ramble for half an hour about wizards, pets his friend owns, or neuroscience, then wander away from his desk for hours. Their manager refuses to do anything so it's become a regular part of meetings, annoying teammates to the point where many have left.

Low pay relative to qualifications tends to precipitate a loss of people with interpersonal skills to better paid jobs. You take what you can get.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Low pay relative to qualifications tends to precipitate a loss of people with interpersonal skills to better paid jobs. You take what you can get.

Yeah, sounds like part of it is their manager refusing to deal with it. Not saying he has to be fired but dang it talk to him one on one and let him know his actions are disruptive and hurting the team and work on coaching him on basic meeting behavior.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah, sounds like part of it is their manager refusing to deal with it.

Please refer to the post you just responded to for more information on why front line managers at a place like this wouldn't be equipped or motivated to handle these situations.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

BOOTY-ADE posted:

No doubt they'll be saying this when Amazon can't replace their dead employees cuz nobody wants to work for someone who literally doesn't care if they live or die

Yeah, this is pretty much what I meant.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I wonder how long it was after the collapse before someone from corporate clocked all the workers out to stop paying them.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Baconroll posted:

I wonder how long it was after the collapse before someone from corporate clocked all the workers out to stop paying them.

Wouldn't matter, they're going to get that pay docked for not promptly clocking out themselves, or returning work equipment and uniform.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Atopian posted:

Wouldn't matter, they're going to get that pay docked for not promptly clocking out themselves, or returning work equipment and uniform.

They also failed to properly secure equipment onsite, so the warehouse collapse is clearly the employee's fault too.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So dumb poo poo your former work does:

My first job out of college was with a contract engineering firm that worked almost exclusively with one company. We did both design and project work and when the economy started to recover from the Great Recession the customer company started hiring some of us contractors. A number of us suspected it for a long time, but this past week federal charges were filed against our main point of contact at the customer company for collusion. While I was there and for a long time after he was working with companies like the contractor I worked for and a bunch of others to keep pay/benefits as low as possible in order to depress direct hire salaries. This included setting up an informal 2 year minimum period of working for a contractor before engineers could be considered for roles with the customer company.

Today there are at least two class action suits naming my former employer specifically trying to recover potentially lost wages due to their interference and efforts to suppress pay. Being a non-engineer working in an engineering job I probably have less reason to join the suit, but it's incredibly satisfying to see some of these people start to get retribution for their lovely practices that we all knew they were engaging in. My old company would openly talk about being a "farm team" for the customer and if you did your two years of service you could expect to get hired on for real money. They didn't even try to hide they had a deal, we just didn't realize what it meant at the time.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

It loving rules that Amazon explicitly demonstrated that they don't care if their employees die on company time because it would negatively impact production to have safety protocols and nobody cares and people are still touting the "People are just too lazy to work!" line.
Yeah and this factory:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/dec/14/kentucky-tornado-candle-factory-workers-managers-refused-leave

In 2017 I was working at the airport when a freak summer thunderstorm hit. If there is visible lightning no one is supposed to be outside or in grounded planes (because of jet fuel.) Operations waited until the last second to call all ground service workers inside. The storm parked right on top of the airport with lightning striking every 10s. After 2 hours operations was desperate to get flights moving, so they ordered workers back out when the lightning frequency slowed down. For my part, I relayed the message and told my guys to stay inside anyways. I was getting ready for a poo poo-show where I'm going to have to explain delaying multiple flights because I didn't want to send fuelers outside with lightning raining down. Instead, everyone was promptly called back inside because...
https://sfist.com/2017/09/12/sfo_worker_struck_by_lightning_wild/

The odds of a shark attack when I'm crossing the street are very low. Those odds change when you order your employees to swim in shark infested water. Or work outside during a thunderstorm. Or remain on site in the path of a tornado. And then the employer wants to pretend what happened was a freak accident. Pisses me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Gotta make those scented candles!