Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Baron von Eevl posted:

The last sentence gets at this but the rights holders aren't necessarily the songwriter and performers either, it can be just whoever owns the rights to the publishing and master, although the performers always get mechanical royalties. The while thing Taylor Swift has been going through with re-recording her back catalog is that she didn't own the masters so she got very little of the exorbitant fees that the owner was charging, along with no say in how they got used.

Indeed, absolutely. For instance, at one point Michael Jackson owned the Beatles catalogue. It just wasn’t directly relevant to the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

therattle posted:

There are two types of music rights: sync/master (the right to use a performance or version of a song, payable to the performers); and publication (the right to reproduce the music and lyrics as written regardless of who sung them - payable to the songwriters). So if you wanted a cover of a U2 song by Cher you’d need to license publishing from U2 and performance by Cher. They’ll often both insist that they get paid the same, so if one charges a huge amount both get it (and other music rights holders will try and get the same vis-a-vis all other licensed music, so that the highest rate you negotiate applies to ALL licensed music). If you wanted a U2 song sung by U2 you license sync and publishing for both from U2 (or whoever holds their rights).

Super interesting. Thanks!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Semi related:

I think Edgar Wright said that the scene in Shaun of the Dead where they're flipping through channels and they're all stuck on "Please Standby for further information screen" was the most expensive shot in the film because they had to pay for each separate channel logo even if it's just shown briefly.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Baron von Eevl posted:

The last sentence gets at this but the rights holders aren't necessarily the songwriter and performers either, it can be just whoever owns the rights to the publishing and master, although the performers always get mechanical royalties. The while thing Taylor Swift has been going through with re-recording her back catalog is that she didn't own the masters so she got very little of the exorbitant fees that the owner was charging, along with no say in how they got used.

Legal Eagle did a whole thing on the Taylor Swift rerecordings which also touches on the other questions here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-A_RrOeoWw

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I would like to see this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wxN1T1uxQ2g

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Big fan of the original West Side Story and this new one absolutely blew my mind, maybe one of the finest big screen experiences in the last 5 years for me. If one feels comfortable I highly suggest seeing in the theater, I was not as up on Dune as most (liked it though), but this gave me the big screen magic that so many got from that film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dune is a better movie Bc it has worms

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

West Side Story has earworms.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Looks sick. Can't believe Daniels get to direct something that looks that expensive but I'm stoked

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Karloff posted:

West Side Story has earworms.

The eventual Animorphs movie is going to blow Dune and West Side Story out of the water.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Karloff posted:

earworms.

????????????

???

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They found a bunch of footage from the Thunderbirds in a warehouse in Japan and Hideaki Anno oversaw it's restoration and edited together a compilation of the best clips from the new HD footage which will air on Japanese TV under the title Shin Complete Thunderbirds in advance of the celebration of the 55th anniversary of Thunderbirds next year.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXIjbbet1V4

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

👀

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

This looks amazing and I love it whenever James Hong shows up in something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just you wait til the Dune Broadway musical

The stage filled with dancing Fremen

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

dancing out of rhythm

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I suspect you are referencing the LOTR musical. I got given tickets to that. We left at interval; it was literally laughably bad.

The next films on my watch list:

Dunc
Licorice Pizza
West Side Story
Power of the Dog

banned from Starbucks posted:

Super interesting. Thanks!

You're very welcome! I like being a know-it-all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

therattle posted:

I suspect you are referencing the LOTR musical. I got given tickets to that. We left at interval; it was literally laughably bad.

I had no idea that existed, I just love the idea of a Dune musical

Other idea from shitposting: Dune with the soundtrack of Transformers: The Movie

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I had no idea that existed, I just love the idea of a Dune musical

Other idea from shitposting: Dune with the soundtrack of Transformers: The Movie

I think it disappeared very quickly and very expensively.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/joeheenan/status/1470729990941687817?s=21

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sounds right. Ironically, LotR does have actual songs in it, and a history of musical adaptations. (Where there's a whip, etc)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
It's that time of year where I idly wonder why no one has ever done Flash Gordon: The Film: The Musical.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There was a great running joke about a Dune puppet musical in the second season of the Duplass brothers’ HBO show Togetherness

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CPL593H posted:

Even though he gets only one line, he almost redeems the last 5 or so hours of Prey (2017).

Almost.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CPL593H posted:

And Jonathan Ke Quan's back!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I once again come to you with a rad underseen stop-motion dinosaur documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fI1Le4xIEg

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Cracked After Hours did a good video pointing out the really egregious stuff and it articulates the hosed up aspects of that movie well, IMO

Weren't the Gump books meant to satire the "Great Man" narrative?

The best part about the Gump books is when Forrest goes to space, but they put the wrong orangutan in the capsule, not the one that's been training with Forrest and his crew, and it freaks out while they're shooting into space and messes things up and they all crash land in rural New Guinea. Forrest and the orangutan and one other member of the crew survive and they're captured by a cannibal tribe and Forrest has to play a daily game of chess with the chief of the tribe, who went to Yale, and if he ever loses everyone gets eaten.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

therattle posted:

I think it disappeared very quickly and very expensively.

If I recall correctly it was a Spider-Man Turn Out the Dark level disaster that was plagued with technical issues from the numerous special effects which was why it was so expensive in the first place.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Had to look this up. Seems like they took a maximalist approach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaHRFlPCtsU

:chloe:

e: I do remember that there was a rad little Hobbit stage play official adaptation that my school had put on in the 70s or 80s. I remember thinking it was pretty decent after I read it. We also did a high school production with a bunch of poetry and songs that our English teacher put together for speech competition. I was Gandalf :coal:

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 15, 2021

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"How do we make the hobbits look short? We can't use forced perspective on a stage."
"... hire slightly shorter actors and put them in fat suits?"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Why not simply have everybody else in platform heels?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
90% of the cast needs to be on stilts.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

ynohtna posted:

It's that time of year where I idly wonder why no one has ever done Flash Gordon: The Film: The Musical.

You'd have to choose between purchasing the rights to the Queen songs or writing something good enough to replace them.

Baron von Eevl posted:

"How do we make the hobbits look short? We can't use forced perspective on a stage."
"... hire slightly shorter actors and put them in fat suits?"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

feedmyleg posted:

Had to look this up. Seems like they took a maximalist approach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaHRFlPCtsU

:chloe:

IIRC it was a three and a half hour, two-intermission evening that was meant to reboot Toronto as a "second Broadway", which it had been before 9/11 made travel across the border more difficult, and involved a gigantic set of something like 17 elevators and three nested turntables. It was also unfathomably boring, possibly even moreso than the Titanic musical.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The best part about the Gump books is when Forrest goes to space, but they put the wrong orangutan in the capsule, not the one that's been training with Forrest and his crew, and it freaks out while they're shooting into space and messes things up and they all crash land in rural New Guinea. Forrest and the orangutan and one other member of the crew survive and they're captured by a cannibal tribe and Forrest has to play a daily game of chess with the chief of the tribe, who went to Yale, and if he ever loses everyone gets eaten.

You left out the part where the female crew member falls in love with one of the cannibals due to his BBC.

It's such a bizarre book.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Magic Hate Ball posted:

IIRC it was a three and a half hour, two-intermission evening that was meant to reboot Toronto as a "second Broadway", which it had been before 9/11 made travel across the border more difficult, and involved a gigantic set of something like 17 elevators and three nested turntables. It was also unfathomably boring, possibly even moreso than the Titanic musical.

All I can recall is orcs doing somersaults using sprung shoes.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Any mention of the LotR musical makes me think of this:

https://classic.teamcoco.com/node/118299

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-0qjWFlYuI