Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Next year is going to be a big challenge on the defensive side because that old core of players are gonna be toast, also JC Jackson is gonna have to be paid a zillion dollars or replaced.

I’m not sure that Hightower and McCourty are back unless they agree to huge paycuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m not sure that Hightower and McCourty are back unless they agree to huge paycuts.

I think there's a more likely chance one or both just retire.

McCourty was already considering it.

Hightower just has no juice left at all.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Next year is going to be a big challenge on the defensive side because that old core of players are gonna be toast, also JC Jackson is gonna have to be paid a zillion dollars or replaced.

He'll be franchise tagged.

Adrian Phillips will get Hightower's money, he's been playing very well.

Kyle Dugger probably officially takes Devin McCourty's spot next year, with McCourty (35) either retiring or taking a lower contract to hang around and play a lesser role.

Hightower's (32) played well after looking completely washed through September, but he'll either sign a cheaper deal for part timer money or move on / retire. He kinda screams 2 year deal for way too much money to the Texans to me.

So they pretty much just need to replace a bunch of inside linebacker snaps and some depth guys, shouldn't be too bad.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Duggar is a better Patrick Chung. I don’t think he fits McCourty’s role.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

In what world would Belichick lose his job that doesn't involve him just retiring whenever he wants? You've been listening to too much WEEI again.

No one except Pats fans want more Belichick. It's like rooting for US Steel. It's rooting for Walmart. It's rooting for the school bully and then telling the victims that they should just fight back harder.

jets fans secretly like belichick being around because without someone to blame they would be forced to confront the fact that it is the new york jets' fault their team is the way that it is

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

also belichick's end game is not hard. dude doesn't have hobbies that he wants time to go do instead. its not like he wants to spend more time with his kids: he hired his kid. he's just going to keep doing this until someone says he can't anymore or until its no longer fun anymore. and uh clearly it's still a lot of fun for him.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

evilweasel posted:

also belichick's end game is not hard. dude doesn't have hobbies that he wants time to go do instead. its not like he wants to spend more time with his kids: he hired his kid. he's just going to keep doing this until someone says he can't anymore or until its no longer fun anymore. and uh clearly it's still a lot of fun for him.

Well he likes his boat.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

"Bill doesn't have hobbies."

You pretending he isn't moonlighting as John Hopkins' lacrosse coach doesn't make it any less true.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

evilweasel posted:

jets fans secretly like belichick being around because without someone to blame they would be forced to confront the fact that it is the new york jets' fault their team is the way that it is
Nope. We don't like it and neither do Dolphins or Bills fans. Or the rest of the NFL for that matter.

Pats fans and football media like it. Maybe broadcasters. That's it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalli posted:

You pretending he isn't moonlighting as John Hopkins' lacrosse coach doesn't make it any less true.

he doesn't have hobbies he wants to go do instead, he has hobbies to fill the non-football times when nobody is letting him draw up plans to torture the rest of the nfl

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
His son is only on the team because it's the only way he could have contact with him. He just wants to be loved, but the only thing Billy B loves is football. It's actually very sad.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Hot Diggity! posted:

His son is only on the team because it's the only way he could have contact with him. He just wants to be loved, but the only thing Billy B loves is football. It's actually very sad.

watching his son go for a handshake then get shocked with a hug was a very illustrative moment from the end of the bills game

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Steve does press conferences and it is absolutely disturbing just how much he sounds like Bill. The tone in his voice, the mannerisms, it’s all identical.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Bill has hobbies: Breaking down special teams film from the 1940s.

Some day, he will complete his research and announce who the greatest long snapper of all time was (Current betting favorite is Steve DeOssie).

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Steve does press conferences and it is absolutely disturbing just how much he sounds like Bill. The tone in his voice, the mannerisms, it’s all identical.

Must be a series of uncomfortable mumbles around the dinner table when the family gets together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUnsf6B6OVc

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Kalli posted:

Bill Belichick, human bartender.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Hot Diggity! posted:

OOF. Its sad but its more common when you think. Its more obvious when a girl gets into her father's sport like boxing or racing, its like JESUS JUST SPEND TIME WITH HER

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I'm guessing Belichick is going straight at Don Shula's wins record now. I think I remember him saying once he didn't want to be a guy still coaching at 70 and now he is and I bet that's what he wants. And he'll probably get it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kawalimus posted:

I'm guessing Belichick is going straight at Don Shula's wins record now. I think I remember him saying once he didn't want to be a guy still coaching at 70 and now he is and I bet that's what he wants. And he'll probably get it.

I think a super bowl win without Brady is a bigger motivation right now. I'm sure he wants both, but after Brady immediately won a super bowl without him he's got to win one to show it wasn't all Brady.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

evilweasel posted:

I think a super bowl win without Brady is a bigger motivation right now. I'm sure he wants both, but after Brady immediately won a super bowl without him he's got to win one to show it wasn't all Brady.

That is going to be a tough ask, since it turns out Bill is a system coach. The system being Brady.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

fartknocker posted:

Bill has hobbies: Breaking down special teams film from the 1940s.

Some day, he will complete his research and announce who the greatest long snapper of all time was (Current betting favorite is Steve DeOssie).

It's Jon Condo, OP.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Who thinks Belichick wants to step back and delegate more to his kid, but after going 2-4 he had to admit his kid sucks rear end and went back to being more hands-on with everything?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

sean10mm posted:

Who thinks Belichick wants to step back and delegate more to his kid, but after going 2-4 he had to admit his kid sucks rear end and went back to being more hands-on with everything?

Just you, probably

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Just you, probably

I mean this is what literally every team and national reporter thinks.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I mean this is what literally every team and national reporter thinks.

:laugh:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

they lost a few of those early games due to some baffling coaching decisions, but on O, not D (being too conservative against both Dallas and Tampa)

There is an interesting defensive change, as around the Chargers game they switched from the man-heavy scheme they've focused on for many years to now being primarily zone. But who knows if that was Bill's initiative, suggested to him, or a group effort

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Nosre posted:

they lost a few of those early games due to some baffling coaching decisions, but on O, not D (being too conservative against both Dallas and Tampa)

There is an interesting defensive change, as around the Chargers game they switched from the man-heavy scheme they've focused on for many years to now being primarily zone. But who knows if that was Bill's initiative, suggested to him, or a group effort

They had a ton of defensive substitution botches early as well as special teams fuckups.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

all three units have looked way better than they did in the first weeks, that's just fairly-normal patriots season progression ("september is still preseason" etc etc)

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah, that just sounds like Patriots every year. They always have a slow start and ticky tacky bullshit errors and mis steps and everyone goes "IS THIS THE YEAR!?" in the media and then it always turns out that no, no it is not. Last year obvs it was a bad year but even by NFL standards it wasn't that bad.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

BlindSite posted:

Yeah, that just sounds like Patriots every year. They always have a slow start and ticky tacky bullshit errors and mis steps and everyone goes "IS THIS THE YEAR!?" in the media and then it always turns out that no, no it is not. Last year obvs it was a bad year but even by NFL standards it wasn't that bad.

I think this take (which I have heard many say) underplays how loving awful the Pats were playing early this year.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

I think this take (which I have heard many say) underplays how loving awful the Pats were playing early this year.

There's like 20 years of data suggesting its not wise to count out Billy 5 aces for half his tenure they've gone 2-2 in their first 4.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

plus the only bad loss was the Saints, they were a couple bounces from beating Miami, Dallas, and TB :confused:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

BlindSite posted:

There's like 20 years of data suggesting its not wise to count out Billy 5 aces for half his tenure they've gone 2-2 in their first 4.

*shakes his head* Someone's counting out the fact that Billy Zero-Aces-Without-Touchdown-Tom has himself counted out Touchdown Tom.

Nosre posted:

plus the only bad loss was the Saints, they were a couple bounces from beating Miami, Dallas, and TB :confused:

I said they played like poo poo. I didn't say they lost. They don't get credit just because they're playing Houston.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I guess we have a different definition of playing like poo poo. I mean, we've all seen The Jets

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Maybe Bill won't rest until he overtakes Brian Flores head-to-head, whenever Flores lands another head coaching gig...

https://twitter.com/brgridiron/status/1480559217757073410

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

bill will retire when he can leave the patriots to a scorched earth and zero possibility to have a good season for at least 1 year after he is gone. and he's got to see what mac jones really has before then to know for sure

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
He’s gonna be an amazing DC somewhere

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Amy Pole Her posted:

He’s gonna be an amazing DC somewhere

Under Brian Flores :sickos:

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Edelman sees the future?

https://twitter.com/TMZ_Sports/status/1480944213521051650

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

This would have been an interesting bet to make like 4 weeks ago maybe. Now? lol