Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Aces High posted:

Wait, isn't Sonic Boom the one that gave us himbo Knuckles? Maybe that's not a fully worked out personality but it was certainly different than every other Knuckles interpretation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWBn0nS8s0A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

hiddenriverninja posted:

I think I read somewhere that hello kitty is a human girl that just likes dressing up in a cat costume confirm/deny?

Sort of, she's not a cat but she's also not human; she's a girl who looks like a cat.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
After Tyson was off Zim and onto those Sonic shorts, he visited and started discussing his troubles coming up with a storyline due to Sega's stranglehold on the character. It pretty much killed the potential for any character arc because Sonic is the mascot, he should already be pretty much perfect. You can't have a conflict due to his cockiness either, because that's his sole trademark characteristic. Toss in the fact that the shorts were silent, and Sonic had to be motivated into driving a car for some reason??? and it was becoming increasingly difficult. Tyson was lamenting that it's really hard to build a silent story with a character who can only express being "cool" and "a hero."

And Megan Lawton chimed in, "Tyson? Are you realizing Sonic is bad?"

There was a brief moment of silence where you could see his facial expression stutter before we all started laughing.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ian recently revealed on his podcast that Sega has now inexplicably dropped their mandate on the "Sonic's world / Human's world" split they were pushing for like a decade, lol.

In general, the mandates and legal issues have been massively overblown by fanbase speculation, and they're not as bad as, like, "Sonic isn't allowed to show ANY emotion", but they do exist and some of them feel more like they come from Sega's branding department so they can be weirdly specific like "don't use Infinite for anything" or "make Sonic drive a car because we're releasing a kart racer soon".

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I assume that these kinds of rules are happening all the time in the world of licensed media, it's just that 1) writers aren't usually openly discussing them and 2) Sega is probably a little gunshy because the last time they let writers go unmanaged we got Ken Penders and the Infinite Echinda Empire.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

hiddenriverninja posted:

I think I read somewhere that hello kitty is a human girl that just likes dressing up in a cat costume confirm/deny?

Hello kitty is a person, there is also cat cats in the same universe like charmmy kitty

And human people like tiny poem

it just works like lots of media works where some guy is just a bird on sesame street but they also still have birds.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hello Kitty, Bojack Horseman and Sesame Street confirmed to be same universe

Also just because Big Bird was mentioned...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_s2-00WHCE

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Hello kitty is a person, there is also cat cats in the same universe like charmmy kitty

And human people like tiny poem

it just works like lots of media works where some guy is just a bird on sesame street but they also still have birds.

Please include best Sanrio character Big Challenges.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

hmm. don't think i like this.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Why does the cat have a skull key necklace

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Why does the cat have a skull key necklace

So she can keep her prisoners safely contained while they ruminate on their sins.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The_Doctor posted:

Please include best Sanrio character Big Challenges.

Shirirapper " bottom (尻/おしり) shaped vegetable fairies, including a pepper, onion and possibly a potato. "

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

YggiDee posted:

I assume that these kinds of rules are happening all the time in the world of licensed media, it's just that 1) writers aren't usually openly discussing them and 2) Sega is probably a little gunshy because the last time they let writers go unmanaged we got Ken Penders and the Infinite Echinda Empire.

Penders was just the most ridiculous case of it, mind, it seems more backlash from the 90s when they let licensees do whatever and as a result poo poo got weird and crazy and when they tried to roll it back into a single brand they ended up with even more of a divided and angry fanbase who'd gotten quite attached to their version of the character they'd been watching and reading about for years.

Pigbuster posted:

Ian recently revealed on his podcast that Sega has now inexplicably dropped their mandate on the "Sonic's world / Human's world" split they were pushing for like a decade, lol.

Seems extra funny given the movie has given them the perfect excuse for it, where the worlds of funny animals and humans are literally different planets.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

Since we're on a Sonic kick:

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1470590730024280073

Truly 2022 will be the Year of Sonic!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Ken Penders should have a cameo appearence in sonic 2 like Stan Lee

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/tarastrong/status/1470458197223825413

UGH

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The ornaments are some of the most insipid designs since the getalong gang - and I wish people would recognize Nfts as the scams they are.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

oh this a RUG rug

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Also just the way the VOs are being compensated is - Tara Strong, you are a loving bitch for exploiting people trying to break into the VO business.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

https://twitter.com/WalkOffTheEarth/status/1468648361746219013?t=UDCjv32a-Xy4PeS3tzCViA&s=19

:yum:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

a shamrock hat named Tokyo

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

IF NFT's actually did what some people said they do then this would actually pretty cool. As it is, it's just a con.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wait, why do NFT's have to be involved at all, if you want to have a crowd sourced movie where people pay for each individual frame can't you just do that? Also, that sounds like a terrible idea?

Another thing, how can a NFT be environmentally friendly? I thought the whole problem is that it takes a lot of energy to generate them which in turn creates pollution. Not sure how you get around that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Wait, why do NFT's have to be involved at all, if you want to have a crowd sourced movie where people pay for each individual frame can't you just do that? Also, that sounds like a terrible idea?

Another thing, how can a NFT be environmentally friendly? I thought the whole problem is that it takes a lot of energy to generate them which in turn creates pollution. Not sure how you get around that.

They're lying.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They're lying.

Aw, well there you go. The IRS better hurry up and start heavily taxing NFTs because otherwise I don't see this scam dying down any time soon. It feeds into the compulsive desire that humans have to collect without actually having the limitations of needing to create a physical object for them to obtain, it's a hell of a grift.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH9CBMYSyVQ

Doesn't seem like it'll be anything particularly special, but there are little bits of animation that look really good. I like that their faces look drawn on, gives the expression work a lot of pop.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

When people talk about NFTs or crypto being 'environmentally friendly', they are referring to Proof of Stake vs. Proof of Work systems. 'Proof of Work' is essentially, "Whoever solves this really hard Sudoku* first owns the token!" (which is then sold with the artwork) whereas Proof of Stake is more like a raffle or lottery where buying more tickets** means more chances to get the token. The second is far less of an energy impact, more comparable to a typical online transaction.

Doesn't really make this a good idea, though.

*It's not Sudoku, of course, but it's a similar pointless math problem, and that's what requires all the wasted computing power requiring all the energy.

**Technically you don't 'buy' the tickets, it's more like you pledge what you currently have (and only lose it if you try to defraud the system or fail to verify the token).

Kangra fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 14, 2021

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
https://twitter.com/dz/status/1469424767488962570?s=21

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Bad Guys looks like a lot of fun. Now I'm remembering the last Dreamworks movie I saw was the Captain Underpants movie.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I can't help but notice, the style of that movie is extremely similar to Luca and Turning Red. It's not super noticeable with the animals, but if you watch the shots of the humans it seems like it's almost the same style.

I'm wondering if maybe the lead animator or something is working on both, or of maybe this is a new style trend. And if it's the latter I want to be clear that I'm not saying that like it's a bad thing. I always liked the "cal arts" style that a segment of the internet whined about, and I really like the style of this/Luca/Turning Red. So I'm wondering if this is going to a be a new look Dreamworks and Pixar are gonna start doing for a while. I just couldn't help but notice how similar the human characters look

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Did anyone else see Ron's Gone Wrong? While I was onboard for the beginning third or so, I felt it just never really went anywhere interesting and then had a ridiculous final act.
I don't really think it had a clear moral message or point besides some mild "kids on their phones too much" / social media surveillance criticism.
I ended up not liking it much at all and thought The Mitchells vs. the Machines was a lot better (and I only liked that movie at about a 7.5 or so).

EDIT: Also, I think I'm done with media doing the trope of redeeming this pure innocent tech-bro founder who didn't intend for his company/technology to get out of hand. I've seen it in Black Mirror, The Mitchells vs the Machines, and now Ron's Gone Wrong. Heck, I guess Ready Player One, too.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 14, 2021

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Boxman posted:

Doesn't seem like it'll be anything particularly special, but there are little bits of animation that look really good. I like that their faces look drawn on, gives the expression work a lot of pop.

This trailer alone was so much fun. This is my most anticipated movie of next year now

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah that's a drat good trailer. It even avoided most of the dumb overused trailer tropes I've gotten so sick of lately.

Like EPIC TITLE REVEAL ... *fart joke*

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The part where his tail starts wagging was primo physical comedy

I also love the voice cast, there’s some leftfield choices there - Sam Rockwell, Marc Maron, Craig Robinson... thank gently caress it’s not another movie with Chris loving Pratt

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Macaluso posted:

So I can't help but notice, the style of that movie is extremely similar to Luca and Turning Red. It's not super noticeable with the animals, but if you watch the shots of the humans it seems like it's almost the same style.

I'm wondering if maybe the lead animator or something is working on both, or of maybe this is a new style trend. And if it's the latter I want to be clear that I'm not saying that like it's a bad thing. I always liked the "cal arts" style that a segment of the internet whined about, and I really like the style of this/Luca/Turning Red. So I'm wondering if this is going to a be a new look Dreamworks and Pixar are gonna start doing for a while. I just couldn't help but notice how similar the human characters look

Personally I thought it looked like a mish mash between sing and Mitchell's

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hedrigall posted:

I also love the voice cast, there’s some leftfield choices there - Sam Rockwell, Marc Maron, Craig Robinson... thank gently caress it’s not another movie with Chris loving Pratt

He's too busy voicing Kratos in the unannounced God of War movie

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Boxman posted:

looks fun, and I'd listen to Sam Rockwell read the back of a cereal box

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Boxman posted:

This is extremely cute and reminds me a lot of Lupin, which is appropriate.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I had to double-check it was DreamWorks. It looks fun and not off-putting at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Hedrigall posted:

It reminded me a lot of Beastars, and I loved all the dogs being good boys in Beastars.