Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

lol i will go mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Just saw Encanto today. I thought it was very good! Good music and great animation, it was really fun to watch.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

an egg posted:

lol i will go mad

Good idea. I went mad for a while, did me no end of good

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52InQfO2lXw&t=13s

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

booooo Batgirl booooo

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Macaluso posted:

He's too busy voicing Kratos in the unannounced God of War movie

don't say these things out loud

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Boxman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH9CBMYSyVQ

Doesn't seem like it'll be anything particularly special, but there are little bits of animation that look really good. I like that their faces look drawn on, gives the expression work a lot of pop.

The director on this film is apparently French and It Shows

FunkyAl posted:

Ken Penders should have a cameo appearence in sonic 2 like Stan Lee

the Sonic Movie should take design cues from when one of the OG Judge Dredd guys did art for the UK Sonic comics

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
My wife and I got back into our Disney rewatch and rewatched Pocahontas which is somehow much worse than I remember. A few random thoughts on it:

-- It's like if Gaston made a movie about himself
-- The backgrounds are very pretty, but the more realistic characters are atrocious. There is something so off about Pocahontas's running cycle
-- Jim Cummings is very distracting
-- It's really sad how Disney did straight up forget how to make musicals for a bit after Ashman. Even with Lion King, the songs feel less embedded with the film, but in Pocahontas it feels like there are at least two aborted songs and it's really weird.
--Savages is the only good song, but it's just a poor ripoff of "Kill the Beast"

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Rumble, the movie with the kaiju wrestling and that one hunky monster, had its theatrical release cancelled and just dropped on Paramount+.

Has anyone watched it? I might give it a shot this weekend.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

make sure you watch the second season of centaurworld (but watch the first season first if you haven't)
it's incredibly good

https://i.imgur.com/2UgwNjz.mp4

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Everyone should read cartoon modern https://animationobsessive.substack.com/p/our-treat-to-you and become retroactively dissatisfied with the past 50 or so years of mainstream animation, except spongebob.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Hedrigall posted:

Rumble, the movie with the kaiju wrestling and that one hunky monster, had its theatrical release cancelled and just dropped on Paramount+.

Can studios write-off movies released directly to streaming? How is profit and loss calculated for them?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I dunno, but I do know this

https://twitter.com/NormOfNorth/status/1398714109626101760

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

White Coke posted:

Can studios write-off movies released directly to streaming? How is profit and loss calculated for them?

Same way they do it normally, check how much they own to the creators and the taxman and adjust to zero it out.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Hedrigall posted:

I'm watching it right now because I thought of you.

It's at best OK for me but the fights that I have seen capture a kind of manly ripple that I think you'd find intoxicating.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Timeless Appeal posted:

--Savages is the only good song, but it's just a poor ripoff of "Kill the Beast"

Virginia Company is just a poor ripoff of "In a mine". I think the entire movie was recycled garbage.

Frozen II was bad because Frozen did the worst thing ever: prove your boss wrong. They had all the merchandizing set for Doc McStuffins but Frozen darkhorsed it out of nowhere. For Frozen II, they made sure that didn't happen by bringing on really successful imagineers who worked on Zootopia and Big Hero Six. And all the people who made Frozen work basically had to do what that braintrust decided. At least that is what I got out of the documentary.

Lion King was the failure, everybody thought Pocahontas was going to be the goodness. It's a thing with Disney. I'm not an Emperor's New Groove guy but I know people who are. And that fits into the overall pattern.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Vitruvian Manic posted:

I'm watching it right now because I thought of you.

It's at best OK for me but the fights that I have seen capture a kind of manly ripple that I think you'd find intoxicating.

I must make room in my schedule for this 👀

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Not that I think you'll be watching it with the sound on, but FYI, the voice acting is really really lazy.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I guess I have to watch this too. haha

Also, why does Norm have a Twitter? :(

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Virginia Company is just a poor ripoff of "In a mine". I think the entire movie was recycled garbage.
I literally watched the movie earlier this week and had no idea what you were referring to with "Virginia Company."

My wife and I are ranking as we go and the only things we ranked below it are The Black Cauldron, Fun and Fancy Free, and Melody Time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of The Black Cauldron, I still think a proper adaption of the book series it's based on could be decent if handled right.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Prydain could be great but that well had been poisoned for now.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I just saw Encanto and it was really excellent. Goddamn if the clothing animation wasn't jaw dropping.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’m torturing myself by watching every half hour Dreamworks Christmas special

Well okay, not the Trolls or Home ones because I don’t give a crap, but all the others (Madagascar, Shrek, Kung Fu Panda, HTTYD)

I also added the Ice Age one and boy howdy that was poo poo

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Hedrigall posted:

I’m torturing myself by watching every half hour Dreamworks Christmas special

Well okay, not the Trolls or Home ones because I don’t give a crap, but all the others (Madagascar, Shrek, Kung Fu Panda, HTTYD)

I also added the Ice Age one and boy howdy that was poo poo

I'm laughing at the idea that in mystical ancient animal China they still know about Jesus

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
So far all the settings have had real Christmas but they’re all Santa-centric mythologies

It fits in with Shrek because of the whole fairy tale mashup thing, and in Madagascar because they’re New York animals, but in Ice Age it was bizarre as those movies are set tens of thousands of years ago

Apparently the Panda and Dragon ones have made up Christmas-esque holidays, so we will see how that works

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm laughing at the idea that in mystical ancient animal China they still know about Jesus
IIRC Gene Yang was going to do a version of journey to the west where the destination was the baby Jesus.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cave Santa brought gifts of leaves and bark to all the good mammoths and hominids

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

haven't watched the KFP Christmas special but iirc there are two holiday specials for HtTYD, there's Gift of the Night Fury and Homecoming. I liked Homecoming but that's probably because it came after HtTYD3 and was a nice bow on the series, Gift of the Night Fury was ok

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh I’m gonna save homecoming until after I rewatch HTTYD3 which is next year so I’ll watch it next Christmas

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

My wife and I got back into our Disney rewatch and rewatched Pocahontas which is somehow much worse than I remember. A few random thoughts on it:

-- It's like if Gaston made a movie about himself
-- The backgrounds are very pretty, but the more realistic characters are atrocious. There is something so off about Pocahontas's running cycle
-- Jim Cummings is very distracting
-- It's really sad how Disney did straight up forget how to make musicals for a bit after Ashman. Even with Lion King, the songs feel less embedded with the film, but in Pocahontas it feels like there are at least two aborted songs and it's really weird.

It isn't a good movie, but Colors of the Wind is absolutely magnificent.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

hiddenriverninja posted:

Why wouldn't they? We don't know much about the historical Jesus but we do know that his brother was Chinese. It follows that Jesus was therefore also Chinese.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I thought Encanto was ok. There's one good song that's sticking in my mind, but man, I am just really missing a fun pure evil kinda villain in the recent Disney movies.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Roth posted:

I thought Encanto was ok. There's one good song that's sticking in my mind, but man, I am just really missing a fun pure evil kinda villain in the recent Disney movies.

I overall thought Encanto was great, but the ending just didn't work for me. I needed Mirabel to get an actual real magic power in the end, not some bullshit where she was so strong and the best of her family and that was her real power or whatever. Her gift being her family is nonsense too imo. Even if we don't see what she gets, I would've been satisfied if she had opened up the door to the house and the stairs rebuilt and at the top was her door and she opened it and it cut to credits before you could see so it's at least implied that she's finally rewarded with a real gift. But I thought it was bullshit that the magic just decided she had to suffer to I guess prove a point to her lovely grandma. It probably also didn't help that I hated Abuela.

I do wonder if it's a cultural thing with this and Coco, which I also loved but also had an issue with the "family is the most important" aspect of it (and also hated Abuelita). Because I just don't view family that way even a little bit.

I loved the songs in Encanto, especially We Don't Talk About Bruno. I loved the designs of all the supporting characters, I especially loved Camilo and Doloras. The only song I didn't like was the little bit at the end where Bruno rapped his explanations really fast to his family. Not because of the rap but because I wanted that to be an actual much slower paced scene where he explains why he said "it looks like rain" and such. It felt like they ran out of time and had to rush the "Bruno rejoins his family" segment. I also really liked the scene where Mirabel finally confronts Abuela and tells her to her face that she's the reason the magic is dying, there's this like orchestral buildup that happens while it's happening and cracks start forming in the street and then it reaches the peak and this huge crack in the ground happens between them. I really enjoyed that scene visually

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wonder what might be said about Disney's (and others') tendency to build the most elaborate and lavish possible spectacles and the best-written possible stories around extremely facile, simplistic, even dangerously ambiguous moral lessons.

"I must find the place where I belong"
"The most important thing is to be true to myself"
"Fight for what you believe in"
"Family is everything"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Data Graham posted:

I wonder what might be said about Disney's (and others') tendency to build the most elaborate and lavish possible spectacles and the best-written possible stories around extremely facile, simplistic, even dangerously ambiguous moral lessons.

"I must find the place where I belong"
"The most important thing is to be true to myself"
"Fight for what you believe in"
"Family is everything"
It's almost like they're writing for children.

In the case of Lilo and Stitch, the circumstances around Lilo kind of make the last one self-evident.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I really disagree about the ending.

I think it's good that she doesn't have a gift. Three main reasons. One, the gifts are all metaphors for the role the person plays in the family. What they value about what they provide to the family. Maribel values the family itself and wants to help them very holistically. No gift shows that well.

Two, Abuella doesn't have a gift and Maribel in many way parallels Abuella. She is the new matriarch. Her "gift" similarly being the lynchpin of a magical family rather than personal magic is good, I think.

Finally, the lesson of the movie is in my opinion not that family is everything. Rather, it's that we must value the people we love for who they are, not what they can do. A more subtle message, and one completely undercut if it ends with Maribel getting a gift.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Neon Noodle posted:

IIRC Gene Yang was going to do a version of journey to the west where the destination was the baby Jesus.

Reminds me of the original plan for God of War: Kratos would team up with a Viking and Egyptian dude to kill off their respective pantheons, and then they see a star in the distance and go meet baby Jesus.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Apparently Jay Johnston, the actor that voices Jimmy Pesto on Bob's Burgers among tons of other characters on shows in that orbit and a Mr Show alum, was at the capitol riots and is being sought by the FBI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Reminds me of the original plan for God of War: Kratos would team up with a Viking and Egyptian dude to kill off their respective pantheons, and then they see a star in the distance and go meet baby Jesus.

Is that seriously the original plan for God of War? We were ROBBED.