Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time
I'll have to try that one, the arche was a pain to drive too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Randal posted:

I've been avoiding driving as much as possible. The hella is way too heavy for a FWD and they could not have picked a worse car to assign you for Act 1. The galena is tolerable but so far nothing has felt good to drive

Edit: NPCs are just dissolving right in front of me. Didn't notice that before

I thought the best cars for first person were the 80's Ferrari looking one whose name escapes me at the moment and the Shion. Not for handling, mind, but for being able to see out the windshield in first person. I really wanted to drive around in that big convertible one night just looking at the city and listening to the radio, but you can only see like 10% of the street in it. For all the time and effort they spent designing the absolutely beautiful interiors, they sure did gently caress up being able to enjoy actually driving the damned cars.

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

Robobot posted:

I thought the best cars for first person were the 80's Ferrari looking one whose name escapes me at the moment and the Shion. Not for handling, mind, but for being able to see out the windshield in first person. I really wanted to drive around in that big convertible one night just looking at the city and listening to the radio, but you can only see like 10% of the street in it. For all the time and effort they spent designing the absolutely beautiful interiors, they sure did gently caress up being able to enjoy actually driving the damned cars.

Yeah I love cruising around in games so the driving is a big disappointment even if I don't actually need it to get around. The radio sucks too, the music is mixed too low for me to hear it well and it's tied to the same volume as the sound effects

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

Robobot posted:

I thought junks were always covered up except in the menu. Making the option even more ridiculous.

come to think of it, i distinctly remember seeing the underwear in the mirror previously. maybe it's a glitch that my junk is visible at all. maybe it was changed in a patch or something.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I quite like the Nomad cars, specifically the Javelina and the Coyote. Those two and the bikes are my go-tos.

Also, I'm surprised anyone would continue driving in first person, tbh. You can't see poo poo.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea everyone has mentioned how wierdly low you sit in most cars in first person, but also there's a particular type of cop car you can steal that has a huge grill over the entire windshield and you basically cant see out of it at all and ive often wondered wtf is up with that

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Quadra class of cars all rock rear end. I love driving them. Jackie’s Arch is my overall most used vehicle though. I drive exclusively in first person and the bike just feels great. I can hand brake/power slide all over the place and cruise through dense traffic at 160* MPH while blasting Samurai, and the whole thing feels great to me.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

edogawa rando posted:

I quite like the Nomad cars, specifically the Javelina and the Coyote. Those two and the bikes are my go-tos.

Also, I'm surprised anyone would continue driving in first person, tbh. You can't see poo poo.1

I'll second the Coyote, most cars felt like poo poo, the Coyote was nice to drive IMHO.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
for the Rancho Coronado Beat on the Brat mission, you also have a gig to take out the leader of the club where the fight is, and if you do that first it gives you credit for the Beat on the Brat mission because the club is shut down

just wanted to provide this info because gently caress Beat on the Brat

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
someone posted a tiny string of code you add to some ini file that makes all cars instantly drive like a dream. wish i had it saved to share but maybe theres a proper mod to fix that now?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's in the OP

INI changes - Driving posted:

A .ini configuration file to try and make the handling of cars and bikes less frustrating.

Realistic Driving Experience posted:

This Mod aims to provide the most realistic driving expirience for cyberpunk. I tryed out the other driving mods and for me nothing was there what nails it perfectly. So i started to make my own file and i think it is really god. What you get:

- better curvebeahvior
- possibility to drift
- better suspension with working shock absorber
- better breaking behavior

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
Grimes is a surprisingly good voice actor.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Chloe Jessica posted:

lol

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I would genuinely suggest the Cyber Vehicle Overhaul and Erok's Driving Tweaks, which use the Cyber Engine Tweaks mod to work for, well, literally everyone who plays the game. They actually make the vehicles handle like normal vehicles in a driving game, rather than cyberpunk's hosed up floaty fishtailing weirdo default design.

CET is also minimally invasive and super easy to install, as are all the mods that use it, which is why I gave it a go at all, rather than the weird bullshit some of the other modding resources require.

Seriously, the game with cvo and edt and without it is like day and night when it comes to driving, it's almost fun with them, and driving in first person is viable.

You can find all of the above at nexus mods, of course.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Chloe Jessica posted:

it is a good thing the role doesn't exactly require complex emoting.. or simple for that matter.

I feel there're Keanu jokes incoming, my carpal tunnel is acting up.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Combat Pretzel posted:

I still maintain a decent "story-based" action RPG needs needs to branch off twice into two directions at some points in the first half of the game (once around the first quarter and again at half-time), leading to four complete different story lines in the second half. And not disclose that before release of the game, so that people rushing through it are like wtf.

However no one's gonna do that ever.

Fire Emblem: 3 Houses does something similar to this, although not to quite the extent you’ve outlined. At the beginning you pick one of the titular 3 Houses, generally based on which house leader you like best because most of the other characters are recruitable no matter which path you take. The first half of the game has roughly the same events, but you’re with a different set of students depending on your house. There’s a good amount of crossover, like faculty members and non-students who can be recruited on all paths, and you can interact with and get to know all of the students in each one, but of course since you’re basically the teacher from Stand and Deliver with a cool sword, whichever house you’re teaching is the one that things happen to.

Then, the game drops you off a cliff and you go comatose for 5 years, at which point each of the three houses has a different story, sometimes radically so. The second half of the game revolves around, among other things, one of the three nations on the continent trying to take over the land, and you often end up in battle with students who weren’t in your house and ended up on a different side of the war, meaning you might end up killing someone who would be a part of your team if you had picked a different route. The routes only occasionally share missions, and it gets to the point where there’s one path where you barely engage at all with the shadowy group pulling the strings until the last mission where they show up out of nowhere and you just kinda kill them when they pop up and have to go “wait who the gently caress was that?” And as if that wasn’t enough, for one of the three routes there is a “secret” second choice you can make right before the midpoint where if your relationship with your house leader is strong enough, she will ask you to join her revolution, which is what you would be fighting against in the other paths. You then run through a completely new second part of the game, which is notoriously shorter than the rest and unfinished due to it being a kind of last minute addition.

These path differences were absolutely not mentioned ahead of time, and the time jump itself and half of the game being set 5 years later was not mentioned in any of the pre-release material. Each route has things that are only mentioned there, and the actual origin of the conflict is only spelled out on about half of them, so the people at launch who picked different houses were comparing notes and going “wait what they never told me that”. The writing is definitely not perfect and there are still to this day deep, divisive arguments about whether the antagonist has a point which almost always boil down to which story you did first, because that’s almost certainly the one you paid most attention to. It was a very ballsy thing for a game to do and more games should do it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Did CDPR 2077 do or say anything regarding the game’s 1 year birthday? I feel about as plugged into gaming media as anyone can be and while I saw a handful of retrospectives on YouTube I can’t say I saw anything about it from CDPR themselves, which feels really sad.

Then again, it would be weird to celebrate Cyberpunk, if only because of the absolute deluge of negativity that would result from anyone saying anything nice about the game, so that makes sense.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Did CDPR 2077 do or say anything regarding the game’s 1 year birthday? I feel about as plugged into gaming media as anyone can be and while I saw a handful of retrospectives on YouTube I can’t say I saw anything about it from CDPR themselves, which feels really sad.

Then again, it would be weird to celebrate Cyberpunk, if only because of the absolute deluge of negativity that would result from anyone saying anything nice about the game, so that makes sense.

Judging from the kinda pathetic steam news posts, nothing worth talking about.

Honestly CDPR could post a few more mea culpas and self-flagellation pieces. I don't think it's unsalvageable because in spite of my opinion that FF14 and NMS are flukes, Cyberpunk could stand to be the third if CDPR wanted to try.

(That should not be construed as optimism or even a tacit endorsement that the chance CDPR does anything is non-zero.)

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Bust Rodd posted:

I think it’s this. They’ve quietly put it on sale a couple times, but there’s no point expending money or effort in community outreach at this point. The negative positions on it are still overwhelming, and even most of the positive takes I’ve seen have some version of “yeah, it’s bad, but I like it anyway” baked in. Right now we’re all still aware of it, but for the most part the general public is done bitching/mocking, which is where they want things until they’ve produced a substantial fix to the game that they can actually hang some marketing off of. I’m sure they would have loved to crow about how far it’s come at the year mark and celebrate, but timing is way off here, so quiet is probably wisest.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Speaking of their year 1 bday.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-10/a-year-on-from-cyberpunk-fiasco-cd-projekt-no-nearer-redemption

Sales expecations are now way down, from the expected 30 million units. Compare this to the Witcher series and especially W3, which kept selling well in the post release years, cause it was a strong game that delivered on every front. While Cyberpunk is a tarnished product that should never have been released in that state.

The only way to turn this around would be a complete rework which adds a ton of the promised features. And I doubt they are willing to put the manpower into a franchise which is underperforming that badly.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

Speaking of their year 1 bday.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-10/a-year-on-from-cyberpunk-fiasco-cd-projekt-no-nearer-redemption

Sales expecations are now way down, from the expected 30 million units. Compare this to the Witcher series and especially W3, which kept selling well in the post release years, cause it was a strong game that delivered on every front. While Cyberpunk is a tarnished product that should never have been released in that state.

The only way to turn this around would be a complete rework which adds a ton of the promised features. And I doubt they are willing to put the manpower into a franchise which is underperforming that badly.

Self-fulfilling prophecy what now?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
for new playthroughs, i have found that there's a legendary revolver accessible almost right away in Northside Watson in the same place every time which you can run and grab and slam full of mods, helping kickstart your way to that Dirty Harry stuff.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Kavros posted:

for new playthroughs, i have found that there's a legendary revolver accessible almost right away in Northside Watson in the same place every time which you can run and grab and slam full of mods, helping kickstart your way to that Dirty Harry stuff.

Where?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
hang on, i'll get a screencap

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

It's on a crate in this little open space here. Right where the arrow points.

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

I didn't follow the hype at all so what were people expecting from this game? I just wanted a bethesda rpg done better and that's what I'm getting when it works so I'm pretty happy with it aside from when it's unstable

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Kavros posted:

It's on a crate in this little open space here. Right where the arrow points.

Awesome!

Thanks!

dishwasherwong
Sep 20, 2006

Best taken in small doses.

Kavros posted:

The thing about the balancing in this game is that any punk rear end starting pistol can be turned into an almost god-tier nuclear hand cannon due to the ridiculous perks.

If not for that, it would be a good find.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i couldnt remember her character or voice in the game so i looked up and my main takeaway is holy poo poo, male v VA loving sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMK12fwIDTA

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Randal posted:

I didn't follow the hype at all so what were people expecting from this game? I just wanted a bethesda rpg done better and that's what I'm getting when it works so I'm pretty happy with it aside from when it's unstable

We were sold on the idea of a living breathing city with seemingly endless roleplaying possibilities and deep, interconnected RPG systems, like tuning sports cars and crafting and modifying custom weapons

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Randal posted:

the world in cyberpunk (or witcher for that matter) is really not as interactive as the world in a bethesda rpg. the options for roleplaying are very limited.

and also that's not what people were expecting, i think the marketing and the world design itself led people to expect something that was in between the witcher and gta5. and to me it feels like a very unfinished version of that.

and also the difference is not just lack of depth but the fact that V has a pre-determined voice and personality. that would not make any kind of sense in an elder scrolls game. one of the biggest turnoffs in cyberpunk to me is that they let you "design a character" but then no matter what you design he still sounds (to me) like the guy on the box.

i wish i had chosen female V because ive heard she's better, but male V's personality is really irritating to me and i wish the character was just silent so you could fill the voice and personality in with your imagination

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 16, 2021

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

Earwicker posted:

the world in cyberpunk (or witcher for that matter) is really not as interactive as the world in a bethesda rpg. the options for roleplaying are very limited.

and also that's not what people were expecting, i think the marketing and the world design itself led people to expect something that was in between the witcher and gta5. and to me it feels like a very unfinished version of that.

and also the difference is not just lack of depth but the fact that V has a pre-determined voice and personality. that would not make any kind of sense in an elder scrolls game. one of the biggest turnoffs in cyberpunk to me is that they let you "design a character" but then no matter what you design he still sounds (to me) like the guy on the box.

i wish i had chosen female V because ive heard she's better, but male V's personality is really irritating to me and i wish the character was just silent so you could fill the voice and personality in with your imagination

This is a lot more interactive than anything bethesda has done. The only way you can interact with objects in a beth game is to lock your character to it so they can perform a prefab animation while a menu pops if there is anything you're supposed to do with that object. I can't imagine carrying a body or driving a vehicle in fallout, or fallout npcs handling objects the way cyberpunk npcs do. You can't even climb a ladder or over a fence

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

We were sold on the idea of a living breathing city with seemingly endless roleplaying possibilities and deep, interconnected RPG systems, like tuning sports cars and crafting and modifying custom weapons

Yeah it does suck that there aren't any systems that would make things feel connected. Feels like every moving object is defining its own physics with no relation to anything else. Think that's why it's so lame when cars collide.

I actually Iike how the loot works. Whatever I don't want I break down and use to level up what I do want. Simple but it keeps me from wasting a lot of time in the inventory

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Enjoy the game brother but everything you’ve mentioned I’ve loathed. The diablo style loot is bad. The mish mash of clothing for stats sucks.

“Aside from bugs” is pretty big considering everything that’s been documented as buggy in this game.

Just look at the police system. In the beginning you see a badass swat team swoop down and arrest someone. In the tutorial you have destructible walls —- none of that poo poo comes back ever again.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I hate the modern opinion that ~roleplaying~ is defined by bethesda jank like crafting, character editors, weapon mods, level perks, and minigames and not :airquote: playing a role :airquote:.

:shrug:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Randal posted:

This is a lot more interactive than anything bethesda has done. The only way you can interact with objects in a beth game is to lock your character to it so they can perform a prefab animation while a menu pops if there is anything you're supposed to do with that object. I can't imagine carrying a body or driving a vehicle in fallout, or fallout npcs handling objects the way cyberpunk npcs do. You can't even climb a ladder or over a fence

im not talking really about physical objects. what i mean like in skyrim you can completely ignore the main quest and be all kinds of different people, there are many different ways to engage with the world and build a fictional life and personality that may or may not have anything to do with the main quest. you can develop a character who is just a fur trader or blacksmith, you can spend all your time on magic and worrying about mages guild poo poo, get involved in the civil war or not, become a notorious criminal and black marketerr, or settle down in a particular town and get married. there are all kinds of trajectories and different ways to get involved with the world that they built

in cyberpunk you are just v, if you ignore the main story there is barely anything at all to do in the game except fighting random people on the street. most npc's barely interact with you if they aren't part of a scripted quest (though it's a step up from the witcher, where the world was largely populated filled with nameless silent npc's).

it's just not the "be anyone" type of rpg, it's the "be a specific character in a predetermined story" type of rpg just like the witcher was... except they give you a superficial taste of the other kind by having you design a character in the beginning. imo it would have been less of a let down if they didn't tease you with character creation and just said yeah, you're playing this dickhead, the game is about him.

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

Ichabod Tane posted:

Enjoy the game brother but everything you’ve mentioned I’ve loathed. The diablo style loot is bad. The mish mash of clothing for stats sucks.

“Aside from bugs” is pretty big considering everything that’s been documented as buggy in this game.

Just look at the police system. In the beginning you see a badass swat team swoop down and arrest someone. In the tutorial you have destructible walls —- none of that poo poo comes back ever again.

Yeah I want action rpgs to be more like diablo 2 so this is a totally different experience for me

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

Earwicker posted:

im not talking really about physical objects. what i mean like in skyrim you can completely ignore the main quest and be all kinds of different people, there are many different ways to engage with the world and build a fictional life and personality that may or may not have anything to do with the main quest. you can develop a character who is just a fur trader or blacksmith, you can spend all your time on magic and worrying about mages guild poo poo, get involved in the civil war or not, become a notorious criminal and black marketerr, or settle down in a particular town and get married. there are all kinds of trajectories and different ways to engage with the world that they built

in cyberpunk you are just v, if you ignore the main story there is barely anything at all to do in the game except fighting random people on the street. most npc's barely interact with you if they aren't part of a scripted quest (though it's a step up from the witcher, where the world was largely populated filled with nameless silent npc's). it's just not the "be anyone" type of rpg, it's the "be a specific character in a predetermined story" type of rpg just like the witcher was... except they give you a superficial taste of the other kind by having you design a character in the beginning. imo it would have been less of a let down if they didn't tease you with character creation and just said yeah, you're playing this dickhead, the game is about him.

Oh I get ya, no matter what you want to do V is still a mercenary and is limited by what a mercenary does in this world. I'm just into characters and story more in a single player game than being able to act out any role in this society. I can get that fix from MMOs now and with their economies single player rpgs just can't keep up with the possibilities there

For games like this I am a lot more concerned with how you can physically interact with the world. It was really disappointing when I had to jump over a fence like super mario in fallout 76 for example. It's embarrassing that bethesda published dishonored but can't do any of that interactivity in their own games and I'm kinda tired of it now

Randal fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 16, 2021

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I hate the modern opinion that ~roleplaying~ is defined by bethesda jank like crafting, character editors, weapon mods, level perks, and minigames and not :airquote: playing a role :airquote:.

to me the difference is that in bethesda-style games you create that role. it's a character of your own invention.

in the witcher you are playing a role, but it's a character from novels that have been adapted into a game. you aren't using your imagination to create geralt, geralt is already a fully developed character.

the issue with cyberpunk is that it tries to do both things. when the game starts it gives you the toolset of the first style of game and you think, "oh i can be anyone i want". but that's not true, you are playing a pre-determined personality just like geralt and all you are choosing is the visuals that you barely ever see in the game anyway

also i dont think things like crafting or weapon mods (which are hardly unique to bethesda games) are "jank". thats the weirdest use of the word ive seen. the "jank" in bethesda games is the bugs, of which there are plenty, not being able to make your sword light people on fire or whatever

Randal posted:

Oh I get ya, no matter what you want to do V is still a mercenary and is limited by what a mercenary does in this world. I

its not just his job it's his whole personality, the way he talks and engages with other people in the world, etc. is already pre-detemind

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

Earwicker posted:

to me the difference is that in bethesda-style games you create that role. it's a character of your own invention.

in the witcher you are playing a role, but it's a character from novels that have been adapted into a game. you aren't using your imagination to create geralt, geralt is already a fully developed character.

the issue with cyberpunk is that it tries to do both things. when the game starts it gives you the toolset of the first style of game and you think, "oh i can be anyone i want". but that's not true, you are playing a pre-determined personality just like geralt and all you are choosing is the visuals that you barely ever see in the game anyway

also i dont think things like crafting or weapon mods (which are hardly unique to bethesda games) are "jank". thats the weirdest use of the word ive seen.

its not just his job it's his whole personality, the way he talks and engages with other people in the world, etc. is already pre-detemind

Yeah we have entirely different tastes here. This is a direction that I've wanted for single player rpgs, I don't think I could explain what I like about this in a way that would make you like it too. It's just not what you want