Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Bloop posted:

Ok but anything real

Ras El Hanout

The Bloop posted:

btw I joked but those were actually really interesting good suggestions

:tipshat:

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 20:48 on Dec 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

Ras El Hanout

btw I joked but those were actually really interesting good suggestions

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Okay but to be fair one of my favorite snacks as a kid was just cream cheese and hot sauce rolled up in a tortilla

At the time, it was Taco Bell hot sauce, but nowadays when I do it it's with Tapatio or Cholula

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

This is how I picture every grandma in Wisconsin.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
NGL this looks like a fun Halloween treat.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

The Bloop posted:

Any suggestions for cheeseball outer covering layers that are NOT nuts

Pretzel crumbles? Bacon bits? Fried onions?

YES!

deeznuts

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Why does the queso look suspiciously like ranch?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Why does the queso look suspiciously like ranch?

Have you never seen white queso? It's usually better than the neon orange stuff that brands like that usually are.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Any suggestions for what to buy in the US?

I looked on Amazon and all the reviews looked like things that definitely belong in this thread.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'm gonna be honest, I've never done that for a cheese ball and probably never would, I was reaching mentally for outside-the-box seed-and-spice mixes I've had. Mukhwas is usually in the little dish at Indian restaurants around here, and quite strong-tasting in the mint-and-anise fashion to serve as a mouth cleanser.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

FFT posted:

Okay but to be fair one of my favorite snacks as a kid was just cream cheese and hot sauce rolled up in a tortilla

At the time, it was Taco Bell hot sauce, but nowadays when I do it it's with Tapatio or Cholula

There is something extremely powerful about cream cheese in any kind of roll up. I buy turkey pinwheel trays every once in a while, the kind with cream cheese and roasted peppers :discourse:

speaking of which, another Midwestern appetizer:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I've never done that for a cheese ball and probably never would, I was reaching mentally for outside-the-box seed-and-spice mixes I've had. Mukhwas is usually in the little dish at Indian restaurants around here, and quite strong-tasting in the mint-and-anise fashion to serve as a mouth cleanser.

yeah reading about it it's either licoricey or minty, so not with the cheeseball but I was interested generally until I saw everything on amazon was stale, had no ingredients label, or was full of live bugs or rat hair

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Honestly the pickle ham rolls are decent but i prefer the green onion ones, or pinwheels which is the same thing but with a flour tortilla layer

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Aardvark! posted:

There is something extremely powerful about cream cheese in any kind of roll up. I buy turkey pinwheel trays every once in a while, the kind with cream cheese and roasted peppers :discourse:

speaking of which, another Midwestern appetizer:

Iowa sushi?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

All this talk about cheese balls and no RIP STEBE BALL yet?

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
Sausage balls is my wrestling name

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Bloop posted:

yeah reading about it it's either licoricey or minty, so not with the cheeseball but I was interested generally until I saw everything on amazon was stale, had no ingredients label, or was full of live bugs or rat hair

Well I'm definitely going to be a bit wary of it after my vindaloo next time, I guess!

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

What I've gathered from the last couple pages is I think living in the Midwest would give me depression

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

The midwest occupies the same place as Vegas and New Orleans where you go there and it just sucks poo poo but after a couple years you forget how much it sucks and go oh yeah that place is wacky I might pop by.

Then you go back and it sucks poo poo and you repeat the cycle.

At least Vegas has gambling and New Orleans has good food, the midwest is just cheese and depression

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Chicago is the best place because it has all the Midwest stuff but also is a real-rear end world class city, plus there's Italian beef

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

more falafel please posted:

Chicago is the best place because it has all the Midwest stuff but also is a real-rear end world class city, plus there's Italian beef

Excuse me Italian Beef is my father

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

RuBisCO posted:

What I've gathered from the last couple pages is I think living in the Midwest would give me depression

If it helps, I'm from the midwest and... 90%? of the time a "midwest" thing is posted here I have never in my life seen or heard of such a thing.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Grand Fromage posted:

If it helps, I'm from the midwest and... 90%? of the time a "midwest" thing is posted here I have never in my life seen or heard of such a thing.

Now that's one of the most Midwest things I've seen.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Who's up for some brownies

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Who's up for some brownies

That's poo poo from a butt

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Look at this cheese' huge balls

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/moneyymaya/status/1471174821866315785?s=21

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Is it just me or does tik-tok have way more fake/staged poo poo than everything else?

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Sekhmnet posted:

Is it just me or does tik-tok have way more fake/staged poo poo than everything else?

It isn't just you.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

axolotl farmer posted:

All this talk about cheese balls and no RIP STEBE BALL yet?

Always thought it looked more like Fragmaster with stubble than Steve Apple

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I fail to see how lasagna is a more practical or aesthetic presentation of food when you could just cook and serve noodles, sauce, cheese, and meat in separate bowls.

Unironically yes, lasagna is manky, spag bog is much better.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Once more your terrible food opinions rear an uglier head than the quoted one in the post above yours

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lasagna always tastes kinda... stewed, like quite samey, whereas spag bog always tastes much brighter and clearer. Which I assume is just because you literally have to cook all the lasag together for a while. Better I think to do the sauce separate and then add it to the pasta and then put some cheese on top.

Separation of flavours is generally better IMO unless you're actually making a stew.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Why are you getting your spag from a bog?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

OwlFancier posted:

Lasagna always tastes kinda... stewed, like quite samey, whereas spag bog always tastes much brighter and clearer. Which I assume is just because you literally have to cook all the lasag together for a while. Better I think to do the sauce separate and then add it to the pasta and then put some cheese on top.
Lasagne is supposed to have layers. I think you've just had some very bad lasagne.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Quite possibly, it does put me off ordering it anywhere because anywhere that does it will generally also do spaghetti which I know I like.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I love lasagna because it's like strip-mining a pasta planet when you eat it

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

If you love lasagna, try savory pancake cake.

pancake -> minced meat -> pancake -> minced meat -> (etc), then top with parmesan and bake. Using (drier than usual) sugo is also possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

My folks are both from the Midwest and transplanted to where they are now. Everything posted in this thread about Midwestern food is both accurate and intimately familiar to me. As kids we loved unsalted potatoes (unseasoned and scalloped for fancy occasions), those ham rolls with toothpicks (mine without pickles thank you), unseasoned chicken, and Midwestern church potluck casseroles.

My parents were saints.