Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County
https://twitter.com/Sheng_Peng/status/1471723519184564225?s=20
Uhh the Sharks have the 6th best defensive team by average goals against, they've done it by running 3 consistent d-pairings (and riding a hot James Reimer), and tonight they outshot the Canucks 25-15 after 2 periods. Then Booger switches the lines and we promptly get caved in the third, a number of brutal gaffes by Karlsson and Ferraro in particular.. and we're gonna stick with that? ok i guess. Just please start Reimer in the rematch.

Also lol at the vibes on this Kane update:
https://twitter.com/Sheng_Peng/status/1471683734634065922?s=20

Keith Mars fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Levitate posted:

See the problem with pro sports being run by people like Bettman and Campbell (and Goodell in the NFL) is that they're pretty much loving morons when it comes to running things on a loving professional level and they're lucky they can get away with all the dumb bullshit because the product is so lucrative

most of the time they're just fuckin' winging it

The whole world is run by loving morons who get away with poo poo because their product is lucrative

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

tinstaach posted:

I dunno how reliable a junior league xG model is going to be, but according to this one Connor Bedard is having the best xG season of any prospect of the past 3 years, in his age-16 season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgxxDw09UO4

He had a slow start to the season but he's unquestionably the best prospect since McDavid. He looked every bit as lights out as he did in his age 15 season but just couldn't put points up (also his teammates are awful). He went to team Canada's WJC selection camp and was by far their best player. He made the team as a 16 year old forward, the only other kids to do that are Gretzky, Lindros, McDavid, Crosby and Spezza.

He's really good, he's probably the most valuable U23 player on earth and he's not even going to be in the NHL until 2023/24.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Ukko-Pekka came across as UberPecker on the closed captioning.

With growth and performance from SuperCock the Sabres may just round the corner…

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Powershift posted:

How about 3 on 3 hockey, but they play sideways on the ice like the timbits teams during intermissions, with the blue lines being the side boards.

Sideways!? Our mites-on-ice play the whole ice. :patriot:

Probably explains why goals are so rare though...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

thehoodie posted:

The whole world is run by loving morons who get away with poo poo because their product is lucrative

Also true, unfortunately

anyways, I feel like GMs don't usually make many moves until about now. Most of them don't want to jump the gun/want to wait to see if guys who started slow are doing better, etc

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Levitate posted:

Also true, unfortunately

anyways, I feel like GMs don't usually make many moves until about now. Most of them don't want to jump the gun/want to wait to see if guys who started slow are doing better, etc

wasn't there stuff last year about trades being more complicated by COVID testing/quarantine time, especially crossing the border? can't imagine omicron will make that any easier.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

th3t00t posted:

Ukko-Pekka came across as UberPecker on the closed captioning.

With growth and performance from SuperCock the Sabres may just round the corner…

Lol, I’d find that hilarious if I was Ukko-Pekka. In fact, I’d probably go ahead and tell everyone that Ukko-Pekka is in fact Finnish for Uber-Pecker.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
https://twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/1471850844391981063?t=EHvmnOje9TXuAgv1Wu-Ubg&s=19

Can we postpone the entire season

Or forfeit all the habs games either or put me out of my misery

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I give it another week or so before canceling so the NHL can get whatever last bit of revenue in

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I can totally see it happening. The Flames don't even have a team right now and they're postponing games before the surge has even really hit yet. It's not going to look better in January.

It's a shame because hockey really is a bright spot for me in a sea of general plague misery. And it's going to be a goddamn crime if Ovechkin is denied his Art Ross and half a season to keep up the Gretzky chase.

But I guess I don't want my beloved hockeymans to die or retire with swiss cheese lung.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 17, 2021

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
There's no chance the NHL is going to cancel the season. I do think it's unlikely players go to the Olympics at this point. And the playoffs are going to be an utter shitshow unless the NHL figures out what to do in the event we get teams losing lots of players at once to covid protocols.

But they'll soldier on and try to squeeze a dollar anyways

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

ThinkTank posted:

He had a slow start to the season but he's unquestionably the best prospect since McDavid. He looked every bit as lights out as he did in his age 15 season but just couldn't put points up (also his teammates are awful). He went to team Canada's WJC selection camp and was by far their best player. He made the team as a 16 year old forward, the only other kids to do that are Gretzky, Lindros, McDavid, Crosby and Spezza.

He's really good, he's probably the most valuable U23 player on earth and he's not even going to be in the NHL until 2023/24.

Isn't Shane Wright supposed to be really good, too? Not on the level of Bedard, but I thought he was only a step down?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Twin Cinema posted:

Isn't Shane Wright supposed to be really good, too? Not on the level of Bedard, but I thought he was only a step down?

Wright was maybe the best prospect since McDavid but not so good that you'd actively reach for "the best prospect since McDavid." Or, perhaps, the rest of the hockey world is catching up to "is Frontenac, doom is inevitable."

e: got some years crossed up. Matthews was drafted the year after McDavid, so he's the baseline for "best prospect since McDavid." Wright isn't taken to meet that standard.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Jets have been much better than the Devils this year and they just banged their coach. Devils FO just doesn't give a poo poo.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/WpgJetsPR/status/1471865481711792131

grats jets AS

and lmao they turned off replies

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I need to take the rest of the day off to process this. Holy poo poo.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Chevy didn't even have the courage to fire him

Another example of his cowardice

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

DJExile posted:

grats jets AS

Usually a coach only resigns on their own when there’s something dirty about to drop, is that the case?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wow, out of nowhere!! People loved him here.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Usually a coach only resigns on their own when there’s something dirty about to drop, is that the case?

Sometimes it's just "resign or we fire you"

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

Just didn't want to deal with winter again.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Vintersorg posted:

Wow, out of nowhere!! People loved him here.

"people"

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Matthews is the last good first overall we've even had. It's been nothing but disappointments since then.

Hischier: Is ok, but not really a #1 overall talent.
Dahlin: Kinda sucks? He had a good rookie season iirc but has been kinda bad since
Hughes: Maybe the best of the bunch, seems poised to break out but got hurt earlier this year.
Lafreniere: Dude is getting benched and playing like 8 minutes a night. It's actually shocking how poorly he has played.
Power: Is doing really well in college but what kind of #1 overall doesn't immediately enter the NHL?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Ginette Reno posted:

Matthews is the last good first overall we've even had. It's been nothing but disappointments since then.

Dahlin: Kinda sucks? He had a good rookie season iirc but has been kinda bad since
Hughes: Maybe the best of the bunch, seems poised to break out but got hurt earlier this year.
Lafreniere: Dude is getting benched and playing like 8 minutes a night. It's actually shocking how poorly he has played.
Power: Is doing really well in college but what kind of #1 overall doesn't immediately enter the NHL?

Dahlin's been a real disappointment because wasn't he supposed to be a generational or near-generational talent? Going in to the draft he was probably a better prospect than Wright too. poo poo, Hughes was also supposed to be a high-end 1-1 guy.

I dunno if it's bad development or bad luck, but that's a real run on first overalls at least stumbling badly.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

Dahlin's been a real disappointment because wasn't he supposed to be a generational or near-generational talent? Going in to the draft he was probably a better prospect than Wright too. poo poo, Hughes was also supposed to be a high-end 1-1 guy.

I dunno if it's bad development or bad luck, but that's a real run on first overalls at least stumbling badly.

Yes, Dahlin was very hyped. I suppose it's possible he still develops late and blossoms into a star player but he doesn't seem near it right now.

Hughes' talent level is off the charts but when I watch him I don't see high end hockey sense. He struggles to understand how the play is going to develop and makes a lot of puzzling decisions with the puck. I feel like it's hard to be a truly elite player without that ability.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

I feel that like many other things the kids have been pretty hosed up by covid disruptions and we should give them a break

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

DJExile posted:

grats jets AS

Oh hell yeah

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Arivia posted:

I feel that like many other things the kids have been pretty hosed up by covid disruptions and we should give them a break

Yep. I'm not worried about Laf at all.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1471873387756675080

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Are you sure you’re a good coach, Paul?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So who wants to have a pages long conversation about how Jack Hughes has bad hockey sense. It's too bad we can't put Dawson Mercer's brain in his body.

He's a good player and his skating/possession is going to continue to be valuable in perpetuity but man does he process plays badly. It's going to prevent him from becoming a dominant player for the Devils if he can't fix it and I'm not even sure it's a thing you can fix.

He's such a weird player, you watch him skate and you think like McDavid and then his hands are almost Kanesque but he has none of the poise or control of his body that those two have (the amount of times I've seen him just fall on vaguely physical plays or even just one timers). He'll make like a nasty 15 foot backdoor saucer pass but struggle to make the right read on a basic layoff in the offensive zone.

At first I thought it was an age thing or a coming back from injury thing and maybe it is but he might just be a really dumb hockey player lol

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arivia posted:

Are you sure you’re a good coach, Paul?

Well, he's the best coach these Winnipeg Jets have ever had.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Am I cynical in believing this is him 100% trying to get ahead of something

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

shyduck posted:

Am I cynical in believing this is him 100% trying to get ahead of something

I've got all the cynicism in the world but I'm watching the press conference live and Maurice seems to be pretty convincingly straightforward about everything.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Jets organization is 100% focused on acting “classy”. Having someone quit rather than being fired feels classier, that’s why they did it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So should Kraken fire Hakstol and pick him up asap or what?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Doesn't matter, they should fire Hakstol regardless.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Maurice can get a team to grind for 82 games. They will be fringe playoff team. That will continue forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

T-Bone posted:

So who wants to have a pages long conversation about how Jack Hughes has bad hockey sense. It's too bad we can't put Dawson Mercer's brain in his body.

He's a good player and his skating/possession is going to continue to be valuable in perpetuity but man does he process plays badly. It's going to prevent him from becoming a dominant player for the Devils if he can't fix it and I'm not even sure it's a thing you can fix.

He's such a weird player, you watch him skate and you think like McDavid and then his hands are almost Kanesque but he has none of the poise or control of his body that those two have (the amount of times I've seen him just fall on vaguely physical plays or even just one timers). He'll make like a nasty 15 foot backdoor saucer pass but struggle to make the right read on a basic layoff in the offensive zone.

At first I thought it was an age thing or a coming back from injury thing and maybe it is but he might just be a really dumb hockey player lol

Hughes has 8 points in 11 games with a horrendous and ever changing supporting cast while also being played on the wing for some reason for 4 games and he's 20. He's going to be really good if they ever get him decent players around him.