Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

chaosbreather posted:

because it’s too big, you end up with one of those comical massive desk calculators for retirees. you have a weather widget. that’s the correct size. but widgets aren’t interactive any more so there’s no way to do a calculator widget. their hands are tied, lol

i’d put money on the idea that they’re going to genericise iPadOS 15’s quick note feature into a more general “desk accessory” app category, an interactive low impact app that can instantly launch and multitask along with the rest of apps and can access the context from which it is summoned. maybe they make it an opt-out checkbox for iPhone apps to be listed as desk accessories or something, just like i(Pad)?OS support on macOS

apple should just buy pcalc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Smythe posted:

and yet i have to pay for it kuz every so often some GENIUS has their playlist as an apple music playlist that they want to "share" with me instead of just giving me the actual files. THANK YOU BRO

np i hope you like my mixtape makes me think of u

poty fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 17, 2021

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

qirex posted:

it was definitely a splurge for me but it's incredible, that said if you're not using a streaming service it's a lot less useful but I feel like it's pretty obvious local files are already a grognard feature and support for them will probably gradually disappear from default os apps

maybe look at volumio or moode? no clue what their mac support is like

will look into these, thanks

feeling even older now that even non-subscription music players have turned into multi-room client/server affairs

might be the last person on earth still copying albums onto an mp3 player

Esposito posted:

I haven't used Swinsian on anything newer than a 2013 MBP but I used it for several years and thought it did what it needed to and didn't get in the way. It was managing a 1TB+ mp3 library at some stage with no problems, would totally recommend.

great, thanks

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Weedle posted:

it's me i'm the dumb bitch still using itunes for windows bc of apple music. i've suffered for fifteen years, what's a few more

literally ripped some old cds I found at my parents with itunes on windows a few weeks ago. hell of an app, still somehow chuggy with a pile of cores and ram. absolutely amazing

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
still trucking along with iTunes just fine. use XLD for ripping and encoding though, the multi core support is great.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
oh wow look at that, program that sucks never gets any improvements or fixes, lets just rewrite it and reinvent the wheel again. oh its not feature complete yet but we will do that after we ship.

oh wow look at that, program that sucks never gets any improvements or fixes, lets just rewrite it and reinvent the wheel again. oh its not feature complete yet but we will do that after we ship.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

did google release another chat app?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rufus Ping posted:

might be the last person on earth still copying albums onto an MP3 player

I still use an old ipod classic since they’re super easy to repair

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

everytime folks post about how apple’s apps suck I get real sad cause I wasn’t smart enough to get hired there and make a lovely apps you all hate too.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i also could have made minimally functional apps :qq:

what’s the best podcast app for apple phone os

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

I like Overcast. I especially like the Smart Speed option for news and discussion podcasts since it can trim down on long pauses but doesn't make everyone talk at hyper speed (i also use custom playback speeds)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nice. i like appropriate speeds

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rufus Ping posted:

feeling even older now that even non-subscription music players have turned into multi-room client/server affairs

might be the last person on earth still copying albums onto an MP3 player

CD ripping crew checking in. I even rip them to FLAC so that when iTunes messes up the mp3 for whatever reason, I don’t have to get the disk back out to rip it again.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

CD ripping crew checking in. I even rip them to FLAC so that when iTunes messes up the mp3 for whatever reason, I don’t have to get the disk back out to rip it again.
go to ALAC

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

p sure the only music I've paid for since last millennium has been concerts

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
there are a shitload of places you can buy basically any music drm free as a flac now, legitimately

wish they'd do the same for films

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

i just go to second hand shops and buy loads of cds for £1-2 each and rip them to flac

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah I am a bargain bin fiend, every import techno compilation I couldn’t afford in my 20s is now two or three dollars

Weedle
May 31, 2006

echinopsis posted:

i also could have made minimally functional apps :qq:

what’s the best podcast app for apple phone os

pocket casts or overcast. pocket casts has a nicer interface imo but overcast seems to buffer more quickly. they're both free so try em and i think you can export/import your subscriptions between them

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I use apple podcasts and it loving sucks poo poo.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Rufus Ping posted:

will look into these, thanks

might be the last person on earth still copying albums onto an mp3 player

great, thanks

Doppler looks real nice. works mostly like iTunes but is fast and without all the extra poo poo. perfectly indexed all my files over the network too.

https://brushedtype.co/doppler/

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Smythe posted:

Use pocketcasts or overcasts OP.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i use the librivox app and listen to books instead of podcasts. i highly recommend it. eventually i'll run out of stuff i care to listen to though

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Smythe posted:

i use a windows store app called grover pro i paid $2 for back when i had a windows phone cause it syncs prodcasts/progress. theres a free version called grover podcast that's the same thing but doesnt do sync. you should give that a try and see if it works better for you.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

yeah that app is pretty well built

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i hope groverapp does not have load bearing javascript

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
grover is entirely uwp/xaml

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

use overcast instead smythe

its p good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
apple should add UWP support and then maybe people could write good apps for ios

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

much like your posting

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

apple should add UWP support and then maybe people could write good apps for ios

lol have you ever even used a uwp app???

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah. they're pretty good

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
uwu app

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

actually they should do what Microsoft did in windows 8 or whatever and force people to only write SwiftUI apps if they want to get on the App Store

then they’d have to make SwiftUI feature complete

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

chaosbreather posted:

actually they should do what Microsoft did in windows 8 or whatever and force people to only write SwiftUI apps if they want to get on the App Store

then they’d have to make SwiftUI feature complete

yeah apple really needs to be emulating loving windows 8 go back to gbs

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the only good thing about UWP is how easy it is to do Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage

i'd prefer if windows didn't come preloaded with a ton of useless crap though

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Smythe posted:

i posted this post a year ago or something and some yospos recommended overcast and it’s very good. i listen to podcasts like an hour a day at least most days and it’s good op

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Esposito posted:

I haven't used Swinsian on anything newer than a 2013 MBP but I used it for several years and thought it did what it needed to and didn't get in the way. It was managing a 1TB+ mp3 library at some stage with no problems, would totally recommend.
:cheers: gonna try this one out

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Granite Octopus posted:

Doppler looks real nice. works mostly like iTunes but is fast and without all the extra poo poo. perfectly indexed all my files over the network too.

https://brushedtype.co/doppler/

This looks great, will give it a spin, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Agile Vector posted:

I like Overcast. I especially like the Smart Speed option for news and discussion podcasts since it can trim down on long pauses but doesn't make everyone talk at hyper speed (i also use custom playback speeds)

what’s your time saved by smart speed? I’m at 1441 hours